ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Top Flite Cessna 182 ARF

Old 12-25-2017, 11:20 AM
WarrenDD

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yeah, I was contemplating the Sierra gear, but at $270 or so (according to their website), that's kinda steep for just a nose gear. Seems like someone would have come up with something (as you said) thicker material-wise that would work as well or better. Perhaps I just need to break out my tools and machine up something from 316 stainless... (please don't get me started fabricating...again...)

Last edited by WarrenDD; 12-25-2017 at 06:57 PM.
Old 04-18-2018, 03:24 PM
jeep36

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I just got a new one of these last night and have spent most of the day reading this whole thread. I will incorporate the mods posted in this forum. Thanks to all who have contributed to this forum. except for a few wrinkles in the monokote mine seems perfect. The funny thing is I don't even like Civil aircraft but I could not pass up a good deal for one over on RCGroups site. Putting a magnum .91 in it for power.
Old 08-09-2018, 10:22 AM
AustinLonghorn

Originally Posted by MFIGHT43 View Post
Getting there..... Saito FG-21 looks like it will fit using the stock motor mounts... Flaps are sloooooow using Futaba Sbus to program the servo speeds individually. Adding more lights too, like strobes and more incandescent landing lights in the wing and cowl.
MFIGHT43 - so did you have any problems with the FG-21 overheating using that adjustable mount included with the ARF?

The Saito manual encourages the use of their included metal mount as a kind of heatsink (haven't measured it yet, but I think the Saito mount is a tad shorter than the included mount).
Old 08-11-2018, 08:37 PM
gixer47

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I'm currently building one also, just received my Saito FG-21 and ordering a turbo header for it. I'll be using the stock mount not the saito one. I may glue a deflector on top of the cowl to push the air down on the carb or something like that seeing that there are heating issues.
Old 08-17-2018, 08:26 AM
MFIGHT43

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by AustinLonghorn View Post
MFIGHT43 - so did you have any problems with the FG-21 overheating using that adjustable mount included with the ARF?

The Saito manual encourages the use of their included metal mount as a kind of heatsink (haven't measured it yet, but I think the Saito mount is a tad shorter than the included mount).
Unfortunately I never did finish the model. Sold the engine off and then the airframe. Not much help to you, sorry.
Old 08-17-2018, 10:27 AM
ForcesR

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have the FG90R3, FG60R3, FG36, FA100, FG20 and two FG21's, if you do not use the Saito engine mounts you will have constant overheating issues with the FG21 or any other Saito engine if the included engine mount is not used.
Old 08-22-2018, 11:07 AM
AustinLonghorn

OK, thanks for the replies on the FG-21, folks. I'm leaning toward using the metal Saito mount - just cringing at adding a bunch of extra wood/epoxy on the firewall to get to the correct distance

Has anyone else had trouble with the holes for the wing bolts lining up properly? It seems like the left side on mine is quite a bit off, despite having the wing lined up flush with the fuselage lip at the trailing edge of the wing. I'd post a photo of it, but I don't have enough posts yet to add any attachments.
Old 12-27-2018, 06:28 AM
rowdog_14
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Looking for to reading all the pages and getting all the tricks and tips for this plane. Should be picking up a new one in a few hours. I have a saito 90ts I might put in it.
Old 12-27-2018, 07:11 AM
elmshoot
My Feedback: (6)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by ForcesR View Post
I have the FG90R3, FG60R3, FG36, FA100, FG20 and two FG21's, if you do not use the Saito engine mounts you will have constant overheating issues with the FG21 or any other Saito engine if the included engine mount is not used.
I have several of the FA100 and haven't used the Saito Motor mounts and never had an issue even coweled. Looking at the list that one appears to be the only normal 4 stroke the remainder are conversions from another glow motor. Gas does make them run hotter and getting the heat off the engine is enhanced by using a metal engine mount.

The Saito .90 will be a very nice combination on this airplane it will fly on the wing. As i have posted in the past. This airplane has a weak Nose gear. If you are low level experience this will be a problem. A intermediate pilot you must lean to land it on the Main landing gear or you will learn to make repairs. There are several tips on how to make it stronger n the pages above.
Sparky