Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Stripped wing covering during snap roll 4*60

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Stripped wing covering during snap roll 4*60

Old 03-24-2009, 01:00 PM
wjcalhoun

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stripped wing covering during snap roll 4*60

Hi all:
This is a question, not a complaint about Sig Mfg. I have a 4*60 powered by OS AX 75 turning a 13x7 prop. Great aircraft. Been flying it about 6 months.

The other day, I was doing some snap rolls, medium speed (~55-60mph, 2/3 throttle), and the top surface covering came loose from the wing structure, except at the inboard end at the trailing edge of the L wing. It flailed like a kite tail - lots of drag - but I was able to land the plane successfully without additional damage. I had no loose covering, gapped joints, etc on the preflight inspection.

The repair is straightforward, but I would prefer not to have something like this happen again!

Has anyone else had a similar situation? What are underlying causes that I should be looking for? Does a snap stress the airframe / covering of a 4* too much? Flying too fast?

I would appreciate any suggestions or thoughts.

Thanks
Old 03-24-2009, 01:41 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Stripped wing covering during snap roll 4*60

This is why ARF manufacturers tell you to iron down all of the covering - it's often the first step in the manual - and if it's not, do it anyway!