Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Am I just getting burnt out?

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Am I just getting burnt out?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 05:33 PM
ram3500-RCU
My Feedback: (221)

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Am I just getting burnt out?

I look at what is coming out or just released, and I just don't see the 'I-gotta-have-that' like I used to. Maybe it is the economy, or more specific, my economy and I have finally convinced myself that I have enough for now, but I find myself being more excited about what I already have or am building.

Many times in years past, I would sell a project before I even got it done because I saw something that excited me more. Is it just me? []Am I getting old?[] am I too long in the tooth with this stuff? Is this normal?

After some 40 years in the hobby now, I can't remember this happening to this degree. Guess I'll finish building my Jemco and Meister P-47s, Hostetler Liberty Sport, scratch built 1932 Buel Pup, repair my Godfrey Laser 200, and fly my Yak, P-38, AT6, Corsair, and my little electric jets.
Old 04-09-2009, 05:52 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Am I just getting burnt out?

It's normal. I've gone through it a few times.

It's a good time to try something less exciting. Go back to basics with a Cub, or a glider, or an Eindecker. Just try something out of the ordinary.

BTW, Great Planes just came out with a new sweetie at the Toledo show (Look in the Clubhouse forum for the Toledo thread)
Old 04-09-2009, 06:01 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm only one year into the hobby so far, but last year I wanted EVERYTHING (and people were not afraid to tell me that!).

I now have 2 really nice 120 size planes, and a nice 40 size. All I want is to be at the field flying what I have.

I guess a lot of it depends on what you're into. I like (precision) aerobatic flying, and I've got 3 planes that are more capable than I am (plus they look good and sound good!) so I am unlimited in what I want to do this summer.

Maybe you should check out an IMAC or pattern meet?!

But what do I know, I'm still just a new guy[&:]
Old 04-09-2009, 06:11 PM
Mr. Mugen

Hey I am right with ya. I do believe it's our economy.... I have been finishing projects at record speeds hoping to finish them all and want something,....lol. Turns out I might just be satisfied with what I have too....not sure. I do every now and then have something catch my eye that I surely want but don't need...maybe I am getting old too?

Kevin
Old 04-09-2009, 06:19 PM
ram3500-RCU

I have competed in static contests (and won) but not flying ones. It just hasn't appealed to me in the past. We have a pattern competitor in our club and he is always agonized over his equipment, or flying, or both. I have always taken a lighter approach to my hobby.

Phases seem to come and go with me. Any of these sound familiar? The..........speed phase, slow and lazy phase, little phase, giant scale phase, the 2-stroke phase, the 4-stroke phase, the gas phase, the warbird phase, the scale phase, now the electric phase, the biplane phase, the multi engine phase, and yes, even a glider phase long long ago. And these keep coming back around over the years, except for the 2-stroke and glider phases.

This year, my hanger has everything from micro electric to giant scale war birds. I guess it is an amalgamation of years and phases past. Perhaps this is why I feel the saturation point coming on.
Old 04-09-2009, 06:22 PM
ram3500-RCU

ORIGINAL: Mr. Mugen

Hey I am right with ya. I do believe it's our economy.... I have been finishing projects at record speeds hoping to finish them all and want something,....lol. Turns out I might just be satisfied with what I have too....not sure. I do every now and then have something catch my eye that I surely want but don't need...maybe I am getting old too?

Kevin
Thanks pal. With the way things are right now, I find myself wanting to be satisfied more than ever. Just hope my flying doesn't upset my contentment, if ya know what I mean, and I think you do.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om33633.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	1176789  
Old 04-09-2009, 06:46 PM
Mr. Mugen

All too well I'm afraid.. Something how when you tell your phases, mine damn near match. I haven't got into the glider phase yet but I bought a huge kit years ago for when I am ready. It is a 120 incher....hoping to build it when I need glasses to fly. Figure something like this will be perfect for an old man in a chair with a cigar and thick glasses.....

Kevin
Old 04-09-2009, 07:13 PM
Glacier Girl
My Feedback: (4)

Gary, sometimes like the others have said, it's good to walk away for a bit, see what else is out there. Heck I started out with little park flyers, and built from there, both in size and complexity, even building my last big bird the Agri-Duck, 9.5 foot wing span, from foam and wood. The big stuff is great and I love it, but sometimes it gets to be a drag loading it all up, riding out to the field for a couple of runs, for me. Waiting for the weekends for my buds to show makes it better, but now that I've retired not many of the guys are free during the week.

What to do? Well for me it was the micro ParkZone Cessna. Tiny little thing. But I can fly it from my door step, in the yard. Sure it's only a 3 channel so not a lot it can do. But it's different and I'm having a ball flying it. Takes some skills flying it in the wind, so there is some excitment. And now there is an SU-26 coming out in May. A full four channel version. I already pre ordered it.

Imagine just letting loose anytime you want, pretty much where you want. No loading up birds and supplies, and drive to a field, setting up, fly, clean up, drive home, put it all away.

Get frustrated when you can't get something to work right on the work bench? Grab a little bird and go fly.
Old 04-09-2009, 07:35 PM
TCrafty

I got into this hobby (yes, i'm keeping it a hobby, not a sport!) about four years ago. At first, I went out to the field about every day before work. I must have put on about 300 flights on my Kadet Senior that year! I've had spells where the mailman wore a path to my door but recently, I've been pulling back and thinking about selling off some planes. I like all my planes but, I'm thinking of getting to work on one of my street rod projects this year. Possibly, it might be because we've had a LOT of wind this winter/spring and while I can fly in wind, it's just not as fun for me to be fighting the plane around in the sky. I started thinking that I could be working on the Model T and the wind wouldn't matter. So, my son and I will keep the two Kadets (his and mine) and the two Pitts airplanes (60 and 80-inch wings) and possibly the T-craft. The others will go if someone buys them. While I'm not considering this a case of the blahs, just that i'm changing focus a little bit, for a little while. My job is in the automotive realm so it's nice to have something to get away from it for a while. I don't see me pulling totally out of it, just changing focus for a while. I'll still be at the field, just not as much.
Old 04-09-2009, 08:36 PM
nitro wing
My Feedback: (1)

I had a good selection and been flying 23 years.Seem to have a bit of burnout too,after 2 total losses back to back just recently.Definately have less exitement about new planes now.
Looking to try a big scale plane next year to keep things spiced up.
I had burnout twice before,many go thru it,most come back.
Old 04-09-2009, 09:59 PM
ram3500-RCU

Good thoughts from all. GG, I did see that little SU-26, and that actually did catch my eye. Guess I forgot about that one. I added ailerons to one of my Cox micro Corsairs, as well as a brushless outrunner and totally enjoy it. I even fly it at war bird fly-ins I attend. It is a great little flyer as a four channel. I may be able to slide the SU-26 into the budget somehow.[8D]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Gd93866.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	151.9 KB
ID:	1176913   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up48005.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	148.3 KB
ID:	1176914  
Old 04-09-2009, 11:03 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I have been where you are at MANY times, I have flat out walked away from the hobby cold turkey for years ata time. if you are a builder like me, and most other builders you are hooked, and will come back !

I was feeling a little of that last fall. I built a fairly simple, cheap crackerbox boat from zippkits. its not that tough for a plane builder to do the hull, the woods a little harder and heavier. there are some tricks to learn about the motor and radio setup. But I used a cheap weedwacker engine, and a 2.3 reciever. I haven't heard it discussed much but it seems to me that the 2.4 radios have eliminated the need to own seperate ground and air systems. So you don't need new equipment to get into it...I finally ran it today. A friend and I took it out. its quiet with the stock muffler, not fast enough to get in any real trouble. It never died once, simple pull start. And honestly I think after running it I could fuel it at home, run 20 minutes, and my only field equipment would be the radio and boat stand...

I even loaded up a small video today on you tube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4oxkcWcwWo

Anyhow I hope you gravitate to what makes you smile, thats what its all about.
Old 04-10-2009, 12:07 AM
iron eagel

ORIGINAL: ram3500-RCU

I look at what is coming out or just released, and I just don't see the 'I-gotta-have-that' like I used to. Maybe it is the economy, or more specific, my economy and I have finally convinced myself that I have enough for now, but I find myself being more excited about what I already have or am building.

Many times in years past, I would sell a project before I even got it done because I saw something that excited me more. Is it just me? []Am I getting old?[] am I too long in the tooth with this stuff? Is this normal?

After some 40 years in the hobby now, I can't remember this happening to this degree. Guess I'll finish building my Jemco and Meister P-47s, Hostetler Liberty Sport, scratch built 1932 Buel Pup, repair my Godfrey Laser 200, and fly my Yak, P-38, AT6, Corsair, and my little electric jets.
Naw,
Just a phase!
You will find yourself going from got to have the latest and greatest to having several years worth of building stacked up...
I have gotten to the point I am building or working on two or thee planes at any given time.
And then have one just about finished and have it siting on a shelf over the bench for months before I finish it up.
You just get a lot more selective about what you have to have as time goes on...
Besides it cuts into your flying time....

Edit to add...
I have a cub that is stick built, all but finished but need a final touches of paint, on a shelf for three years now.
Motor and radio servos installed just need the black stripes and numbers put on it...
Old 04-10-2009, 06:10 AM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its a nice place to be bored with a hobby ect lol , but I know how you feel . At times projects and new products get mundane and you need to move on .
I will tell what happened to me , its the old kiss method keep it simple stupid . Every project that I took on I made twice as compliacted ect , while i love to bash , buidl ect , I was missing out on the flying fun .When I looked at new planes , i did not see the fun , I saw the work needed to get it where I wanted it .
I went into my inventory and decided I would simply assemble my eflight P47 , added a brushless moter , good battery ect and just went to fly around the corner at a small park .
Well the ease , the fun factor , the performance all delivered and delivered easily , no fuel , no hand pump for retract , no field box , just drive up , get out and fly , my wife even said to me "wow , have not seen you so easily pleased in a long time with rc planes "
That being said it has me looking at the new e-flight jets from hobby lobby ect as a simple easy way to quick fun and then I can keep my enthusium for building ect high on the bench .
Good luck and remember its a hobby , have fun , go open a box from your supply and sometimes it feels like you just bought a new plane
Old 04-10-2009, 06:47 AM
PacificNWSkyPilot
My Feedback: (19)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't say "burned out" .......more like coals that are "burned down"....when you start out everything is great, you want every new plane, every type is an adventure, bigger might be better, smaller is quicker, warbirds have history, golden age racers have a different history, so much to see and do. But "burned down" coals do a better job......

After quite a number of years the real world inexorably creeps in and presents you with factors that are harder and harder to ignore. These can be small factors like storage of larger planes, transportation of them, heck, even the COST of a larger plane is an issue. In my own case, all of the above have tempered my excitement at times. I've also been divorced a few times, and my R/C madness played no small part in that. I've also realized that although I can fly pretty much anything I can get my hands on, every single plane I fly is not that much FUN for me to fly, and so I've started to "Tune" my hangar towards the planes that I've had the most fun with in the past. I've decided to sell my trailer and my truck, because I literally spend thousands of dollars a year on owning these vehicles, vehicles which have pretty much ONE use, and that is hauling planes to and from the field. My wife has given me permission to use her Minivan, so I am selling the other vehicles and buying her a Camry (she likes them). I should point out that I no longer live in Maine, I live in Texas in a development where tons of vehicles are frowned upon by the neighbors. That's the part I was talking about where the real world starts to creep in and sits quietly in the corner like an 800 pound gorilla.

I'm still excited by the hobby, but like you, I look at some of the new releases and the number of them that are screaming my name are almost down to zero, and like you, I found that surprising. But I've come to realize that I have a need to get back to basics, to ENJOY my building and my flying again. And I've discovered that the biggest and the most technologically advanced aren't what I'm after to have that fun. I have caught myself eyeing an Ultrastick.....

Probably the most earth-shaking revelation of all is that I really like spending time with my wife, who (curiously) WANTS me to go and enjoy my flying (obviously some devious plan to confuse me....and it's working...), and has no problem with it at all. So, adjustments have been made, and although I am not out in my garage (which these days is my shop) every day, I'm feeling a better balance in my life between R/C and the domestic side.

I'd venture a guess that at least some of these things I mentioned have come up for you too. I think at some point something has to give and things start to blance themselves out. Which is probably good, as we eventually are all going to be retired and when we go to swap meets and fly-ins we'll very likely have our better halfs tagging along with us. Mine says she thinks she might like an RV to stay in while I mess about with the boys and the planes. Probably a good idea. Now, if I can only figure out where to park that thing.......

Jim
Old 04-10-2009, 06:51 AM
Super08
My Feedback: (2)

Ram take a look at the AW Cessna 195 thread in the Giant Scale section. It got me wanting.
Old 04-10-2009, 06:58 AM
PacificNWSkyPilot

Super08, you're in a really cold part of the world! I noticed you're from Fort McMurray. My wife works up at some of the camps where the "Ice Road Truckers" deliver to, and I've seen Fort McMurray on that show too, as well as heard her talk about it.

Talk about a long building season!

Jim
Old 04-10-2009, 07:00 AM
Zippi
My Feedback: (10)

ram3500-RCU,

I've been flying since the early 80"s and I've had all the flavors of the Extra's, YAK's, Laser's, etc. Late last year I bought a Sig Rascal 110 after watching a fellow fly one and put a G26 on the business end and have been having a ball. I'm now looking to buy another big lazy plane for a small gasser. Yeah, burnt out is kinda what it feels like to me. Not burnt out on the hobby, just the planes. Seems like all you see is another YAK 54 with a different color scheme and price. It's nice to totally change your style. The guys at the field look a little suprised that I would build something like that .
Old 04-10-2009, 08:24 AM
ram3500-RCU

Thanks guys.

Jim, yes, you really have struck at the center I think. You used the word 'balance' and that is what many of us struggle with in this hobby.

For me, it has been a passion of mine since I was in middle school (a long time ago[]). Since then, my wife of 35 years (who unfortunately has never understood my fascination with these 'toys' like your wife does now, enjoy, my friend) and I have had 8 kids, lost one, both my parents now, weathered any number of stressful times, seen her through college and into a successful nursing career, and through it all, this hobby of ours was kinda like therapy for me.

For many years, the high was to have 'the latest and greatest', and the ARF boom made that all too easy to do with a fraction of the time investment. I rode these new highs every year for a long time, but this year, the high, or even the need for it, just isn't there, like it has been in past years. I think the economy and grand kids have forced me to become more 'balanced' and realistic about what I do with what I have.

I indeed do feel a rekindled enthusiasm for some projects that have been in limbo for way too long. All are building projects and rather than 'shop', I think I will just build for awhile. I know that I can build cooler and different stuff than what I see coming out of China right now. Building for me has always been more than half the fun anyway. I guess this year, I will tinker in the shop, and fly what I have, VERY CAREFULLY.
Old 04-10-2009, 08:30 AM
DadsToysBG
My Feedback: (35)

I went the other way. After years with GS planes all flying the same. New ones old ones, they lot the thrill. Still enjoy flying them but wanted that old "kick in the pants" feeling again.
Well I found it in a turbine, stomach all in knots in again. Can't wait to get to the field, knees shacking on takeoff. Something totaling different. Will I quick GS flying NO, but mixing it up does change the way you look at the hobby. Dennis
Old 04-10-2009, 09:11 PM
Super08
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: TexasSkyPilot

Super08, you're in a really cold part of the world! I noticed you're from Fort McMurray. My wife works up at some of the camps where the "Ice Road Truckers" deliver to, and I've seen Fort McMurray on that show too, as well as heard her talk about it.

Talk about a long building season!

Jim
Yup...reeeaaalllll long.
Old 04-10-2009, 09:25 PM
chashint

Things change, that's for sure.
For the most part I am not on the quest to acquire more new stuff either.
I do this with my brother and by far that is the best part of model airplanes.
Planes have come and gone and more will follow, but its not really about the planes any more its about having something to share and talk about and do together.
Old 04-11-2009, 07:20 AM
ram3500-RCU

ORIGINAL: chashint

Things change, that's for sure.
For the most part I am not on the quest to acquire more new stuff either.
I do this with my brother and by far that is the best part of model airplanes.
Planes have come and gone and more will follow, but its not really about the planes any more its about having something to share and talk about and do together.
Well said chashint. I too share the hobby with my Brother and now a couple of my boys are showing some interest in this new electric stuff. My grand children so far are both little girls. We'll see.
Old 04-11-2009, 07:49 AM
PacificNWSkyPilot

Careful what you start there. Girls have better reaction times and reflexes than guys (proven), so give them wings and it might not be long before there are names of females on the TOC and Top Gun trophies !!

Oh, horrors!

Jim
Old 04-11-2009, 08:51 AM
ram3500-RCU

I would love to be on the 'aircraft' crew for my grand kids. Now THAT would be something different, wouldn't it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.