Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

"The Toledo Special" by Hanger 9

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

"The Toledo Special" by Hanger 9

Old 07-19-2010, 06:33 PM
Zippi
My Feedback: (10)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: RE:

I just won a Toledo Special in a raffle at our Rascal 110 fly-in. I'm going electric and I'm putting a Hyperion ZS3025-08 motor on the business end with an 80 amp ESC which should give plenty of power for 3D. I fly giant scale so I'm not use to these small planes. This will be my second try at electric. The first try didn't turn out so well. I'll be running a 4S 4500 lipo so is there any issues with mounting bigger batteries in the fuse?

As far as cooling on electrics, the manual tells you to open the one hole on the cover plate for the battery and the three holes on the firewall. Is there any need to open anymore bays on the bottom of the fuse for cooling?
Old 07-23-2010, 09:10 PM
417mack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE:

Fed EX delivered my TS yesterday and maiden flight was tonight. Only flew it for a few turns but the webra 40 pulled it off the ground at a little over 1/2 throtel. Handled well and landed even better but took forever to slow down enough to land.
Old 07-23-2010, 11:04 PM
Cherokee Flyer

As you fly it more you get to like it more and more, a very honest airplane and lots of fun!! You didn't waste any time getting it in the air!

L.
Old 07-24-2010, 08:53 AM
417mack

Default RE:

I was lucky to have a most of the afternoon to work on it and the owner of the lhs had already built one so I had all the parts already. Will fly agin this evening maby I can get some pics and figger how to post them.
Old 07-24-2010, 11:37 PM
417mack

Default RE:

made 1 flight today but this plane is not happy in the wind. maby it will slow down in the next few days
Old 07-25-2010, 07:24 AM
Cherokee Flyer

I wondered if Mo was getting the same wind we were here in KS, it is a lightly loaded wing and that is when it shows.

L.
Old 07-25-2010, 09:15 PM
417mack

Default RE:

today sunday the weather was great. The TS was smooth and a lot faster than I thought it would be it seems happiest at 1/2 to full throttel responds very well. I got in 3 flights at 1200 and 2 more gist before dark the landings are taking some getting use to this pland dose not want to slow down I cut the throttel before the turn for final and still takes the whole runway to get it to stop flying but ti handles well enough to fly it until it stopes. Really happy with the plane so far.

Old 07-26-2010, 02:46 PM
Cherokee Flyer

I use flaparons on it; first step 10% second 25%, They help slow it down and make it real stable at low speeds. Try it up aways and see how they work. Work on throttle cut at the 180 degree point; right across from you on the down wind, this will let both the engine and airplane slow down. I cut it there and then when I turn base leg, to keep it from getting to slow I will put in three "clicks" of low throttle until over the threshold then close to land.

L.

Old 08-04-2010, 09:23 PM
417mack

Default RE:

After several more flights I am even more impressed with my TS. I have had the best luck landing a little faster and using more runway, I am using an old futaba fm tx so flapperons are not an option yet. Loops are very tight barrel rolls I am lossing some altitude but not bad with practice I think they will improve have not tried inverted yet maby this weekend.
Old 08-05-2010, 10:03 AM
maukaonyx

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the only TS at my club field, and the plane is admired by the other pilots. They like how it looks on the ground and they see that it flies well. I putter around or I zip by low and fast to show them the wide speed range. It really does aerobatics quite well. The inverted is very easy to hold with little down pressure on the stick. It can even slow roll but due to coupling with the rudder, it likes to roll faster in the second half, so my cure for that is to ease off on aileron for the second half. Looks pretty good. Also cool to show how it can do a string of consecutive rolls across the sky. I agree it likes to come in faster than you think a high winger would, but I am getting it to slow down better as I get more familiar with it. Try moving the balance point back gradually while maintaining an elevator sensitivity that you like...that helps slow it down on landings. Somebody here on another thread just reminded me of that the other day here on RCU. Jon
Old 01-17-2011, 12:44 PM
debonair29m

Default RE:

Hi

Everything on this airplane fits beautifully except the cowl. When assembled, the cowl cants to the right making it impossible for the spinner to fit properly. The engine crankshaft appears as though it is skewed to the right. I note that the cowl blind nut locations are different on the right and left sides of the fusilage.

What are your recommendations?

Thanks

Jack
[email protected]
Old 01-17-2011, 03:56 PM
Cherokee Flyer

I ended up moving the holes in the cowl, then put some small doublers on it to cover the old holes and make it fit right. There is right thrust in the engine.

L.
Old 01-18-2011, 06:31 PM
maukaonyx

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I was able to retain the mounting holes on the left side of the cowl, but had to create new ones on the right side to get my spinner centered to the front of the cowl. There is an uneven gap between the cowl and spinner backplate. We use different engines and have different techniques, so we come up with a variety of setups, thus I think it is lame for any cowl to come with mounting holes pre-drilled. BUT, once you get past an idiosyncrasy like this, you forget about it when you see how beautiful the plane looks and how great it performs. Here is a pic of the side that has two extra mounting holes in the cowl (I left them as is), and you hardly see them in pics or in person. Enjoy this great plane! Jon

Old 01-19-2011, 09:51 AM
Cherokee Flyer

If you fly off grass, you will end up changing the tail wheel too.

L.
Old 02-16-2011, 07:42 PM
Steveibrc

Default RE:

I have Toledo coming Friday if anyone is still watching this thread. Am considering an FA-100T if i can get the parts and pieces to cooperate. if not then a OS 48 Surpass or a OS 46 FX. Have i Thread on the Build over at RCG under Gas Talk (i think)
I an STEVERC123 there