Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Phoenix Models Tiger 3 ARTF

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Phoenix Models Tiger 3 ARTF

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 08:34 AM
netdudeuk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Phoenix Models Tiger 3 ARTF

Anyone know anything about it ?

[link]http://www.modelmaniacsonline.co.uk/products.php?CatID=7&SubCatID=247&ProductID=7668&Title=Phoenix+Models+Tiger+3+ARTF&ManCode=A-PH036[/link]
[link]http://www.sussex-model-centre.co.uk/shopexd.asp?id=28038[/link]

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67789.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	1186336  
Old 04-24-2009, 08:50 AM
jzrf6c

Default RE: Phoenix Models Tiger 3 ARTF

I've built the Phoneix 330 and love flying it. There were some problems with the build however. I had to change the tank and wheel axials.
Old 01-08-2017, 02:26 PM
thailazer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Regarding this old thread . . . . I just ordered one so will report when I get started. I see there is one service bulletin in that the tank does not fit without a bit of rework. The plane has nice moments like the Carl Goldberg Tiger so I expect it should fly the same. I am interested to see how the quality is. At 109 bucks, this is a great value if it is of decent quality!
Old 01-12-2017, 08:28 PM
Super08
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just picked one up as well. Putting a 95AX in mine. I plan to start on it tomorrow.
This one:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXFNXF&P=SM
Old 01-16-2017, 08:30 PM
thailazer

Got mine today and it looks very good. Looking forward to getting it put together. It has a lot of features I did not expect in a 109 dollar plane so Phoenix has a winner with this bird.
Old 01-16-2017, 09:04 PM
Super08

Here is mine completed, came in at 8 lb 7 oz with the 95AX. It is very well built but the covering is like Mac Tac. Not your typical heat shrink covering. The glue is not heat activated but sticky all the time. Never seen anything like it. Hopefully it holds up OK. You have to be extremely careful with heat. Even with the heat set on low with my trim iron it melts.

Name:	IMG_1322.JPG
Views:	253
Size:	2.59 MB
ID:	2197066   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1323.JPG
Views:	216
Size:	2.40 MB
ID:	2197067  
Old 01-28-2017, 06:29 PM
thailazer

Super08... I see what you mean about the covering. There are some wrinkles in the rudder and they do not want to shrink out. It seems to be a thick adhesive-backed plastic rather than heat shrink covering of some kind, although the manual says it can be heat shrunk.

Also.... Did you epoxy the wing halves together per the manual or leave them removable? Seems a shame to glue them together when they have such a nice tube and attach system.
Old 01-30-2017, 03:47 AM
Super08

No I didn't glue the wings. I did put a nylon landing gear strap to secure the two wings together the same as what is done on the Escapade 60. If you are not sure what I mean just go on the Tower site and look at the instructions for the Escapade and it will be clear.
Old 10-07-2017, 06:34 PM
Blueyonder
My Feedback: (3)

hi guys, any flight reports at all on the .40 or .60 size Tigers? I am also interested in either/or, both..? Was curious how they flew , etc.
Old 10-08-2017, 03:57 PM
thailazer

Blueyonder... I have about 1.5 gallon through my Tiger 3 now and have to say it flys exactly like the Carl Goldberg Tiger I built from a kit. The only bad thing I can say about the Phoenix version is that the firewall is quite soft and you need to add a layer or harder wood or fiberglass it first. My engine mount kept embedding into the wood they used so the screws were always loose. Also... The landing gear has to be bend back about 30 degrees just like the Goldberg Tiger if you fly with the CG at 38 % like I do. (That CG really helps slow approach speeds and it allows good snap rolls too!)

It is definitely worth getting and a lot of fun to fly. Fire away with any questions and I will be happy to give my an answer.
Old 10-08-2017, 10:28 PM
Blueyonder

Thailazer thanks very much the input. Sounds like a good one. I'm looking for a nice, stable, slows for landings kind of low winger. BTW, what engine are you using in it? I've heard Phoenix planes tend to be on the heavier side...
Old 10-09-2017, 04:17 AM
thailazer

The plane is very light and it could easily fly with a .25 off a paved runway. I have an OS 46AX in mine and use full throttle for take off from a soft grassy runway, but once airborne, I throttle back as it will really pick up speed in a hurry. My old Goldberg Tiger had an OS 35 AX in it and that would work fine in the Phoenix off grass. It is a great plane for shooting touch-and-go's which I do all the time with it. You do have to plan a landing ahead as it is so clean it takes a while to slow down. Flying a proper pattern at lower throttle settings sets it up well for a nice nose high approach. Dive it in and it will float forever!
Old 10-09-2017, 09:36 AM
Blueyonder

thanks again Thail..... great info!
Old 10-29-2017, 05:31 PM
thailazer

Bent the nose gear over in soft grass on take off yesterday on the Tiger 3 and replaced it with a Bob Fults dual strut nose gear. The gear that comes with the ARF is made out of very soft metal as I could bend it back into shape by hand.

Name:	DSCN5253.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	252.2 KB
ID:	2242978  
Old 10-29-2017, 05:58 PM
Blueyonder

Originally Posted by thailazer
Bent the nose gear over in soft grass on take off yesterday on the Tiger 3 and replaced it with a Bob Fults dual strut nose gear. The gear that comes with the ARF is made out of very soft metal as I could bend it back into shape by hand.
Good to know about the nose gear! That Bob Fults replacement would seem to do the trick as it looks pretty robust. Thanks for the info.
Old 10-30-2017, 04:25 AM
thailazer

Originally Posted by Blueyonder
Good to know about the nose gear! That Bob Fults replacement would seem to do the trick as it looks pretty robust. Thanks for the info.
Bob Fults is in the retirement phase of his business so he only has one model of the gear left which fits 40-90 size planes well. You might want to get one now before he pulls the plug as I don't know of any other source of dual strut gear like this.
Old 10-30-2017, 02:31 PM
Blueyonder

thanks... Duly noted on the Fults nose gear...
Old 11-02-2017, 05:08 PM
thailazer

Does anyone know where the Tiger 3 for 90 size is being sold in the USA? Am definitely up for one if I can find one.
Old 11-02-2017, 05:26 PM
Blueyonder

Tower Hobbies sells the 60/90 size, although they show the stock status as Mid - November.

https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXFNXF&P=0
Old 11-02-2017, 05:31 PM
thailazer

Tower Hobbies sells the 60/90 size, although they show the stock status as Mid - November.

https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXFNXF&P=0
Hey, Thanks! I checked two day ago and found nada!. As well as my small one held up, am looking forward to a larger one.
Old 11-02-2017, 07:49 PM
Blueyonder

Let us know what you think if you pull the trigger on the larger one. I still have either the smaller or larger Tiger on my "list" also. I just need to get a bit of stick time on a Hobbistar 60 initially also since I'm a bit rusty.

Last edited by Blueyonder; 11-02-2017 at 07:50 PM. Reason: mispelling
Old 11-17-2017, 06:48 PM
thailazer

Let us know what you think if you pull the trigger on the larger one. I still have either the smaller or larger Tiger on my "list" also. I just need to get a bit of stick time on a Hobbistar 60 initially also since I'm a bit rusty.
Well, I ordered the 70 inch Tiger tonight! I have completely turned around on my original opinion of the covering Phoenix is using. It has held up much better than Monokote over the flying season and the plane looks just like new. Will send a report after I get it. Not sure when I will get around to putting it together and hanging an engine on it, but figure I might as well get one while they are available. Did you ever get your plane in the air or did fall come too early?
Old 11-17-2017, 08:19 PM
Blueyonder

Yeah I noticed Tower now had the 70" Tiger in stock. Congrats on pulling the trigger on that one. I couldn't resist either and took advantage of Tower's Super Saver club discount and ordered the smaller Tiger 3 also yesterday. I haven't been able to fly yet this fall but I also have the Phoenix Dolphin almost ready to go as well. I have an OS 55 in it and it came out quite a bit tail heavy and had to add about 6 ounces up front get it to balance. I'm hoping the Tiger 3 won't be as tail heavy as the Dolphin was. Also, good to know you've been pleased with the covering on your Tiger. I'm anxious to get mine also; UPS shows a Tues delivery.
Old 11-21-2017, 09:31 PM
Blueyonder

I received the smaller Tiger 3 today and I gotta say I'm pretty impressed so far. You get a lot of plane for $85 shipped from Tower. So far I see no issues with the covering; in fact I'm pretty impressed.... very tight with no wrinkles so all looks really good thus far. I also own the Phoenix Dolphin which is covered in Oracover and to me the Tiger looks equally as nice as the Dolphin. (I'm pretty sure the Tiger will be lighter than the Dolphin also.. ) I'll try to post a pic or two when I have a chance but so far two thumbs up on this one!!
Old 11-27-2017, 06:37 PM
thailazer

The Tiger 3's bigger brother showed up today and WOW it is a lot bigger than junior! Gone are the silly graphics and this ship looks fantastic. They didn't just stick a bigger wing on the fuselage as the fuse is much wider. I am going to have to weigh all these bits to find out how much heavier it is, and then rethink my engine plans.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.