Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Horizon re-releasing the Taylorcraft!!

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Horizon re-releasing the Taylorcraft!!

Old 05-14-2009, 06:04 AM
Tman
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Horizon re-releasing the Taylorcraft!!

One of our club members just assembled the GP RV4 and the covering job is excellent. I assembled a GP Ultimate 1.6 and the covering is flawless. But once in a while these manufacturers do have some problems with covering. Could be a new person at the manufacturing end who caused the problem. My beef with H9 lately is that some of its ARFs are too lightly built, especially around the landing gear area and I have complained to them about it. If you are going to have to pay more for Hangar 9 ARF's then lets make sure the customer is getting a well thought out, well engineered product.
Old 05-14-2009, 09:54 AM
Iflyglow
My Feedback: (79)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you read the threads, it is not the fact that the covering looked nice. It was the fact that it was not covered with what it was advertised to be. Monokote does not delaminate (clear protective layer seperates from pigmented glue). That was proven a few years ago by many people. Also GP admitted that the checker board covering on the Skybolt was outsourced, when there add says Expertly covered in Monokote. You have to read the threads and look at the pictures. Real Monokote does not have delamination problems. Only cheap Chinese coverings doo.
Old 05-15-2009, 12:09 AM
nitro wing
My Feedback: (1)

I like it,alot
Old 05-15-2009, 04:51 PM
Tman
My Feedback: (3)

Motorman, I took some time to read the threads on Monocote substitution on some GP ARFS. I haven't seen any recent threads complaining of ongoing problems so hopefully this issue is resolved.
Old 05-15-2009, 05:52 PM
Iflyglow

Tman,
I would hope so too, since it really ticked quite a few people off. I was burned once, and I will never let that happen again. That thread really got shut down fast too, and there was even proof of it.[X(] Bax, never got back even though He said he was going too.
Old 05-15-2009, 11:17 PM
crazy8s
My Feedback: (21)

Nice looking plane BUT............ Iwas thrilled to hear that they were offering this plane again as I always wanted one but they discontinued the old model before I had the chance to get one but as with most of the Horizon planes it is way overpriced, especially for an aerobatic high wing of this size..

I'll be getting this one and save $150 in the process...................

http://www.rcguys.com/decathlon.html
Old 05-21-2009, 06:41 AM
hayman1
My Feedback: (5)

Hello,
I was just reading this new post and came across your response for the cowl and window set for the old Hangar9 Taylorcraft. I have been looking for some time now and I would like to purchase this from you if you still have it. Please let me know what you would need for it? I would need it shipped to 31601 Georgia. Dan.
Old 06-04-2009, 02:46 PM
AirplaneMan04

I wonder when this will be released?
Old 06-04-2009, 02:51 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

ORIGINAL: Tman

Motorman, I took some time to read the threads on Monocote substitution on some GP ARFS. I haven't seen any recent threads complaining of ongoing problems so hopefully this issue is resolved.

I'm having this issue with a GP RV-4 right now actually. I am painting the bottom surfaces of the airplane and used blue painters tape to mask with. The tape pulled the clear protective covering off of the black trim on the fuselage. Not a huge deal but I've never had this happen before.
Old 06-04-2009, 06:06 PM
Iflyglow

Chad,
That is because it is not covered with the Material that they advertise. Every thread about the covering that GP uses and calls Monokote on there RV-4, Skybolt and few others has been locked after peoplecomplained about it. You have to face it, that it is not Monokote as advertised and live with it. Just waite untill the Clear lifts on the White too, because it will.
Old 06-05-2009, 04:05 PM
rogue-RCU
My Feedback: (2)

I just put my order in for one. I had one of the old ones with a zenoah G26 and that plane was my favorite. But  like a dummy I sold it. I'm glad to see it rereleased. I would like to see them bring back the Super Cub too.
Old 06-05-2009, 08:37 PM
JoeMamma

For anybody looking for either a cowl or windshield for the old (first version) Hanger 9 Taylorcraft, Fibergalss Specialties carries them.

http://www.fiberglassspecialtiesinc.com/catalog.htm

Joe M.
Old 07-11-2009, 10:51 AM
RickVB
My Feedback: (24)

Has anyone seen this up close yet? Looking at the [link=http://publications.horizonhobby.com/t/431301/66559/12315/0/]video[/link] that Horizon has posted, it looks like they've completely rengineered the leading edge support in the fuselage, which was the structural problem with the old design (the single ply former would flex, part and break in the old one unless you carbon fiber or fiberglassed it in). Curious to hear whether my analysis is correct. At $549, I'll just be hanging on to my old one though.
Old 07-11-2009, 09:41 PM
mobyal

I have mine on order from my LHS. I was in there on Monday last and Ron checked. Said Horizon's now showing July 17 as an availability date...
Sure hope so.
Al
Old 07-13-2009, 11:13 AM
WI53072

I sure hope H9 does not push back the release date on this as I surely want to get one before the end of the flying season. I missed out on the first version of this model. I also wonder if the 20cc engine may be a bit lite for this ship? However, they say the 20cc engine fits nicely into the cowl and I would hate to chop up the cowl since it looks really nice.
Old 07-14-2009, 05:11 PM
soaringbird

I have one on order and plan on using an OS 160 in it. It should be alot of fun putting around the field and doing some acro. I also will be making mods to install a glider towhook for some aerotowing. I missed out on the previous model but this one looks a lot better. Also does anybody have any info on smoke systems for the 160, do they provide good smoke, or is it not woth the extra work?
Old 07-14-2009, 07:23 PM
Free Bird

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the first version power by a Saito 1.80. It was a good flyer, sure miss it.

FB
Old 07-14-2009, 09:31 PM
frank99
My Feedback: (29)

is your os a 4c???, have one and wonder if it will pull the aircraft thanks frank
Old 07-15-2009, 06:51 AM
Zippi
My Feedback: (10)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm kind of wondering about the functioning spring-loaded landing gear and its workability. If you watch the video the landing is pretty good but the plane is bouncing all over the place. That tells me that the landing gear setup is very stiff and the functioning spring-loaded landing gear is not doing its job. For the price, you think they would have made the landing gear funtional and not just for looks.
Old 07-15-2009, 08:24 AM
soaringbird

The OS I will be using is a two stroke that puts out just under 4.0 hp so power won't be an issue. I think the landing gear is fine. I own a fullscalle Tcart and instruct in it and on wheel landings you have to stick them with a slight bit of down elevator after touchdown or they will bounce around like the one in the video. I am sure the model is the same way it will just require a little practice.
Old 07-15-2009, 10:48 AM
jmohn

I just purchased one, but they are not out until later this month. I was planning on trying to get a Saito 36 gas motor in the cowl. I sure hope that one fits in ok. The plane does have some nice features like quick disconnect pins to remove the wings, working struts on the gear and a cockpit kit and working doors. Should be a winner!

Jeff
Old 07-19-2009, 03:39 PM
mobyal

ORIGINAL: WI53072

I sure hope H9 does not push back the release date on this as I surely want to get one before the end of the flying season. I missed out on the first version of this model. I also wonder if the 20cc engine may be a bit lite for this ship? However, they say the 20cc engine fits nicely into the cowl and I would hate to chop up the cowl since it looks really nice.

Horizon hzs pushed back the release date. The website now says available in "early August".
Old 07-21-2009, 06:04 PM
soaringbird

Horizon just sent me an email saying that they should have them the first or second week of August. Hopefully that is close because I am really looking forward to this model.
Old 07-23-2009, 09:46 PM
WI53072

I thought they would push back the shipping date on these, I remember when they announced the release of their edge 540 arf, it took forever to be available [>:] I may look into getting a different ship if they push the release back again which they may do.
Old 07-30-2009, 11:55 AM
mobyal

ORIGINAL: soaringbird

Horizon just sent me an email saying that they should have them the first or second week of August. Hopefully that is close because I am really looking forward to this model.
The website no longer says "Early August". It's been changed to "Available soon". Anyone have any idea what that means?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.