Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Please Help Me!!

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Please Help Me!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 08:33 PM
bonebreak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Please Help Me!!

ORIGINAL: gaRCfield

Yeah I just wanted to make sure we were suggesting appropriate planes. I'm sorry to hear the OP had a bad experience with a bad plane, however it might make him appreciate something like this even more than the rest of us:

This is the plane you want!

Aeroworks has a pretty dynamite reputation and everything in their kits is first rate - hardware, covering, quality...

Especially with you 'not needing 3D' a .61 in this sub-6lb bird should fly wonderful aerobatics.
I think this may be the one! This thing looks like just what I am looking for.
Old 06-12-2009, 10:27 PM
cappaj1
My Feedback: (1)

Or maybe THIS is the plane you want!
Old 06-13-2009, 05:54 AM
ROMA-F1

YOU CAN SEE BUY FRON THIS COMPANY / WWW.TOWERHOBBIE.COM/ TOWER HOBBIE .. IS A PERFECT COMPANY [ - N-1-] IN THE MARC...... [ MAI MAIL IS [email protected]]-
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40391.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	160.0 KB
ID:	1217258  
Old 06-13-2009, 05:59 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: bonebreak

Let me clarify. I am fully capable of flying the Extra, and very well I might add. I have about 30 successful flights and 60+ landings. The reason it crashed is because I dead sticked at very low throttle, and could'nt pull it out due to children on the feild ( I would rather crash than hit a kid). This is the second crash, and both very similar. The first time I was at a moderate speed, and the wing dropped during final, and down it went (there was no signs of stalling, and I was going plenty fast). The CMPro 50 size is a piece of junk due to its very bad habit of dropping a wing, even at moderate speed. I followed a thread about this plane, and there are very few who have not drove this plane into the ground after numerous successful flights. The plane is VERY heavy for its size (.40size at 7lbs), and although I could probably fix it, I would rather get a plane that is as capable, and doesn't have ASMANY bad habits (and gets rave reviews from those that have one). I bouight the plane prior to researching it, and most said to stay VERY far away. I should have listened. Anyways, I don't want to risk my engine again hoping this plane doesn't crash again. I feel lucky so far, and don't want to test my luck.

PS, my Escapade is my throw around plane, and is a blast to fly. It however is not much of a challange.

The plane is getting ahead of you, it sounds like to me. I would fix it and fly the dickens out of it until I knew it so well that I grew nauseous whenever I looked at it, or I'l back off of that hot a model and go back to the advanced trainer stage for a while. I'm not implying that you are stupid, stubborn or incorrigible (that's me!). I'm simply saying that this is a hobby and it is meant for enjoyment. Any other scale model of an aerobatic plane will have precisely the same handling characteristics as your CMP Extra. That is simply the nature of the beast.

Whose kids are on the flying field? Yours? They should be contained in the car when you are not able to supervise them directly. That is no one elses job but yours.

Ed Cregger
Old 06-13-2009, 06:09 AM
ROMA-F1

AIM ..ITALIAN , AI LIV IN .. WDC.. MAI MAIL IS [email protected].. AI HAVE ,[ 1 RC CAR BRSHLESS, 1 GT2 NITRO COMBERTION GT10, 1 BOATVILLIAN EX, AI BILL MAI NEW .. RC BOAT TECNOLOGY BRUSHLESS FRON TRANXAS ...
Old 06-13-2009, 09:06 AM
bonebreak

ORIGINAL: AJ4PJ

The plane is getting ahead of you, it sounds like to me. I would fix it and fly the dickens out of it until I knew it so well that I grew nauseous whenever I looked at it, or I'l back off of that hot a model and go back to the advanced trainer stage for a while. I'm not implying that you are stupid, stubborn or incorrigible (that's me!). I'm simply saying that this is a hobby and it is meant for enjoyment. Any other scale model of an aerobatic plane will have precisely the same handling characteristics as your CMP Extra. That is simply the nature of the beast.

Whose kids are on the flying field? Yours? They should be contained in the car when you are not able to supervise them directly. That is no one elses job but yours.

Ed Cregger
You are wrong when you say they will have the same handling. The CMPro model is simply a turd (try it for yourself if you don't believe me). I don't know how else to say it. I don't understand why you must try to preach to me instead of giving me some options. I am NOT asking if youthink I can fly this models, I am askingwhich one's are tried and true GREAT fliers. I am the only one thaty knows my skill level. Geesh, I feel 12 again. If you think it is just me, check out this thread....http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_6715811/tm.htm. I forgot about the constant nose overs due to the tail heavy issues also. It sure does stink to line up for take-off and the plane noses over so you have to run out on the feild (take it back to the pits since my wireless glo-ignitor was dead), and try again, and again, and again.Holding up elevetor did not help this at allfor those who will say todo this.

As far as the kids, no they weren't mine. Whywould you even imply this?? Did I ever say they were mykids? My son knows better than to be at the tables when he is at the feild. Unlike whoever's kids they were, I have safety in the front of my head ALWAYS!
Old 06-13-2009, 01:17 PM
homeboy61

Go with a Greatplanes big stick 60  with a towerhobbies .75 you will love it bro
Old 06-13-2009, 07:08 PM
bonebreak

I went ahead and ordered the Aeroworks Edge 540t. Does anyone know how fast the shipping is? I was hoping to have it for Father's day. Anyways, thanks for all your help!
Old 06-13-2009, 07:20 PM
ChuckW

I ordered a 50cc Extra-260 from them and got notice that it shipped the next day. It was delivered 3-days later. You're even closer to CO as I am so I imagine it would be close to the same or faster.
Old 06-13-2009, 09:15 PM
bonebreak

Thanks Chuck, that was just the answer I was hoping for! How do you like your Extra??
Old 06-13-2009, 10:08 PM
ChuckW

Actually, I sold it so someone else before assembling it. I decided that I want their 50cc Edge-540 instead.

It was a very well built airplane though and came with lots of stuff that other ARF's don't include.
Old 06-13-2009, 10:30 PM
bonebreak

Have you got the Edge yet? I have seen a couple videos of the Edge 540t .46-.61 that I ordered, and it looks like a fantastic flyer. I am really looking forward to recieving this in the mail, and putting it toether once it arrives.
Old 10-11-2009, 09:17 PM
BristolPaulL

I just finished building a CMPro Extra 330L. It is beautifully fit and finished. Now I am balancing it. It is too late to try a different model.

With an OS .46AX it is really tail heavy. I know from expenience balance can greatly affect how a plane flies. Now I must choose to add nose weight or mount a bigger engine. Does this plane need more power?

Any advise?

Paul B.
Old 10-11-2009, 09:36 PM
BristolPaulL

High wing loading makes balance critical. I know from experience.

I have been learning to fly a .40 size Great Planes Cessna 182 with unpredictable behaviors including tip stalls. It stalled left with mid to low power. The GP Cessna is a tough plane. Minor repairs kept it flying and my skills improving.

Does torq stall ring a bell? It was! At low speed and mid power it would drop the left wing. Model Aviation covered this effect in this months edition. A small weight on the right wing tip stoped the tip stalling even though the right side was already heavy.

In the end, the real problem was a nose heavy condition. Moving the CG back significantly tamed the wild behavior including the left tip stalling. 3 oz on the tail is a lot for a .40 size plane, but it flys great now. The balance point now is behind where GP specifies.
Old 10-12-2009, 10:27 AM
bonebreak

I too flew/fly a Great Planes Cessna 182. Thios plane is nothing compared to the Extra. The .46 you have in it is way too small. I had an OS .61, and still didn't have a great deal of additional power. When the Extra flies at moderate to high speed, she is a real sweet plane. It is when the speed drops below that moderate to high level that she becomes a beast.