Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Sig Kadet Senior Engine Selection

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Sig Kadet Senior Engine Selection

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 04:05 PM
landeck
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sig Kadet Senior Engine Selection

I am about to start assembling a Sig Kadet Senior. I am going to be using it initially as a Sunday flyer,slow/easy, touch and goes, and sport aerobatics. I am not looking to over power it. Looking over my engines I have a number of choices, all of which will work. They are:

1. OS 46 AX

2. OS 60 FSR, 1975 ringed version.

3. Fox Eagle I 60, my first RC engine in 1973.

4. Enya 80 4C

Which one would you select and why? Thanks for all input.

Bruce
Old 06-15-2009, 05:09 PM
tigrejohn
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Sig Kadet Senior Engine Selection

I would be prone to use the OS FSR and a low pitch prop if you want the Kadet to do some sport aerobatics. I'm currently flying my Kadet (the kit with barndoor aeilerons added) with a Magnum XLS 46 and it is a good slow Sunday flyer. It can do a snap loop (hammer full up) but not a big open round loop: not enough thrust.  It will do rolls and fly inverted (with a good deal of down elevator because of the lifting wing). Haven't tried knife edge yet.

I would not consider the Fox or the Enya as they are heavier engines and the probably necessary added tail weight would negate some of the benefits of the added power. Of course, if your building the kit, you could shorten the nose to compensate for the added weight for any of the larger engines.
Old 06-15-2009, 06:40 PM
CK1
My Feedback: (60)

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

landeck , any one of the engines you have listed would be adequate to power a Senior . I have built and flown many Senoirs over the years ,varying from stock threechannel to a highly modified flat wing, enlarged rudder, barndoor aileron - beast . No mater how you build it or power it will still fly . I prefer 4 strokes and usualy use an 80 or 91 saito. 4 strokes are quieter .
A 4 stroke won't make it to heavy and you won't have to add a bunch of tail weight or shorten the nose, just move your equiptment and batteries around to get the C.G where you want it .
Old 06-15-2009, 06:51 PM
Broken Wings
My Feedback: (20)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Bruce,  I'd run the engine that works best at half throttle or the one that you have the most confidence in. You're going to want to pass the transmitter around as the plane is a floater. Maybe teach a kid to fly, etc. Like you say they'll all work well in the Senior.
Old 06-15-2009, 08:02 PM
WMB

The Senior arf with OS70 four stroke was a popular combo at our field. Perfect matchup.
My kit built was super docile with a Saito 45, not a hint of over power. TT46 worked well.
I think the Enya 80 would be my choice of the bunch.
Have fun!
Old 06-15-2009, 09:03 PM
sawdust
My Feedback: (7)

I have been flying a Senior for 4 years with an OS 70 FS. It is definitely a great combination. So I think the 80 FS would be my choice. I have seen Seniors fly with 46 size engines and they seemed underpower to me.

Mine has been converted to a tail dragger and I like it much better this way.

Todd

Old 06-15-2009, 10:32 PM
soarrich
My Feedback: (98)

I had a LT-40 that I had 13 different engines in, the best 4 stroke was a Saito 50, the best 2 stroke was a 40 LA. Overpowering a Kadet changes it from a great plane to a OK plane. The Senior is a little more plane so I'd go with a 60 4c or a 46 2c, but...... that Eagle in really interesting, probably not much more power than a modern 46, I had a MK II with a 60 Hawk in it, thought it was cool, but I was 30 years younger. :^(

PS Taildragger is the way to go.
Old 06-16-2009, 08:46 AM
landeck

Thanks for the input. I may try more than one engine in it.

Bruce
Old 11-08-2009, 11:09 PM
Pit-Viper 1
My Feedback: (12)

Hey guys, I picked one up used without a manual. Can someone tell me the measurement from the firewall to the front of the prop hub? Are you having to add a ton of weight to the nose of this with a .40 size motor? Mine had about 7 1/2oz of lead on the front end and it had a evo.46 on it. I have looked it over and there is no sign of any repairs or anything that would indicate the need for that much weight. I actually had a OS.91FX on the front just to test fly it and it weighed the same as the evo and the lead combined, 24oz. and balanced perfectly. Way too much power though and I didn't have the wings glued at the time.

Thanks Shane
Old 11-08-2009, 11:35 PM
USA_1_INK

Pit-Viper the distance from the firewall to the front of the engine spinner backplate is 4 1/8 in .

I use a OS 70 4-stroke on mine . flys great I can fly around all-day at half throttle . I have to bring it down after about 20 minutes , otherwise it would stay up for another 25 minutes . I have got a 16 0z fuel tank .
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19719.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	285.6 KB
ID:	1310593  
Old 11-08-2009, 11:55 PM
Pit-Viper 1

Thanks a lot. hopefully have a good flight report in a couple days. Need to figure out the extra weight for this, hate to add dead weight.

Thanks,
Shane
Old 11-09-2009, 12:04 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: WMB

The Senior arf with OS70 four stroke was a popular combo at our field. Perfect matchup.
My kit built was super docile with a Saito 45, not a hint of over power. TT46 worked well.
I think the Enya 80 would be my choice of the bunch.
Have fun!

The Enya 80-4C is my choice too. An unbeatable power selection for the Senior Kadet.

Ed Cregger
Old 11-09-2009, 07:23 AM
bps
My Feedback: (3)

I use the Saito .82 four stroke. Auwsome engine and works great on this plane. You may want to tow a glider or drop candy or something later.
Old 11-09-2009, 09:40 AM
landeck

I installed the OS 61 FSR ABC with a APC 12x5 prop this summer and it flies great. I am thinking of retro fitting the Enya 80 4C this winter and flying with that next summer.

Bruce
Old 11-09-2009, 04:13 PM
Pit-Viper 1

Does anyone have a picture of a .40-.50 motor mounted from the side? I installed an old Evo.46 on it and after I was done I realized it sits too low to get the muffler on it. It's been almost 2 years since it had the other one on I don't remember how it sat. Think I will just end up putting something between the motor and mount to raise it slightly.

Thanks,

Shane