Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

ASM Su 26M Sukhoi

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

ASM Su 26M Sukhoi

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 12:47 AM
viper1676
My Feedback: (14)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ASM Su 26M Sukhoi

Drop is a nice way of putting it...more like falls out of sky!!!! Awesome plane though!!!
Old 11-22-2009, 07:30 AM
lrod

Jim,

Did you actually flew a 22" prop on this plane???
I'm confused [sm=surprised.gif] ??? because, according to viper1676's measurements it doesn't accommodate such a large prop.
So, I gather you must have tried the 22" on the bench or in another plane.

Please confirm this.

Contrary to you Saito 180, my 40cc gasser won't have any problem turning a 22x8 prop.
A larger prop will allow me to hover / torque roll more easily.

And, please, can you tell me if its possible to increase nose height by straightening the landing gear?

Thanks a lot.

Cheers.
Old 11-22-2009, 07:44 AM
jimcork1
My Feedback: (4)

I'll go check today. Your right it wasn't a 22. I used a 18x10. I was thinking of the bird in the attached photo I just flew and I put the 22 on it.

Just a suggestion. If you want to put a larger prop don't bend the landing gear. But consider making a metal extension for the gear. But from the local hardware

a 1"x 12" / 1/8" aluminum bar stock. Cut a piece about 2" long and bolt it to the current landing gear where the axle is mounted. Use two bolts so it won't flex. It will be strong enough to support the landing. This way you can add propeller clearance for the larger prop. One thing I have noticed flying off of grass is the included wheels are a bit small. You could also use larger wheels.

Sorry I don't have any flight videos. I am preping my C130 for flight after tks day.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84417.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	140.9 KB
ID:	1318421   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs58659.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	161.9 KB
ID:	1318422   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr51407.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	1318423   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pl32120.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	1318424  
Old 11-22-2009, 08:17 AM
STORMERSTU

Hi, i'm a newbie on here, I bought one of these and a 26cc gasser to power it, Do any of you have any video of it flying?

Cheers,

Stu
Old 11-22-2009, 10:20 AM
Kostas1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

STU,

could you please tell me if you bought it from sussexmodelcentre?

Could you also post some pictures ?
Old 11-22-2009, 12:36 PM
lrod

Congrats on your C130, Jim! It's quite an awesome bird!!![sm=thumbup.gif] I'm impressed![sm=eek.gif]
How big is it (i.e. w.s.) and what engines do you have in there?

Yep... I figured that much... couldn't be a 22".
But I'm real glad to know that you tried a 18x10.
That's exactly the size I'm considering as an alternative.
It won't give the performance of a 22" but I guess it'll be alright.

Regarding the gear mod, thanks for the advice.
I got the picture. I might just do that (although I think it wouldn't be much pretty).
Other alternative would be building an entirely new gear from scratch.

About the wheels... yeah, I'm considering getting bigger ones too.
Our runway is a little bumpy too. Plus, it would give me a bit of extra clearance for a big prop.

All in all, if I manage to get an extra inch clearance, I will go for a 20" prop.

Thanks for all you advices, Jim. I will pay attention to them when assembling my own.
And congrats for the great pictures.

Good luck with the C130.

Cheers.
Old 11-22-2009, 12:44 PM
lrod

Regarding pictures, you can't get much better than Jim's ones.
There are some pictures here too: [link]http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/190123.asp[/link] (including a bottom view).

I was also considering buying mine from Sussex. At £150 it's a nice price. And they are a very reliable supplier. Recommended. [sm=thumbup.gif]
I ended up buying here [link]http://www.flima.com.pt/product_info.php?products_id=1778[/link] because of shipping costs. Allowed me to spare some €€€.
Old 11-22-2009, 12:46 PM
STORMERSTU

No, i bought it from CMF Hobbies in Glasgow, the store owner is a member of my club.

However, the Zinger prop for my running in, and tygon and dubro stopper where bought from sussex online for convienence.
Old 11-22-2009, 01:07 PM
jimcork1

OK Off topic of the sukhoi.

The Herk

108" wingspan
21.5 LBS
Power 4 saito .30's prop 10x6 MAS. Engines turn 9800 and work hard for the size and weight

2 radios. 1 for the fuselage with own battery, and 1 for the wing.

Wing has flaps.

Each throttle is controlled by micro servo mounted on removable firewall. All firewalls are interchangable.

Wing if foam no spar, (might wish I had one) with 1/16 balsa sheet and .4 oz f/glas and epoxy for sealing

Fuse is molded fiberglas.

Nose wheel only retracts. I decided not to add main retract given the 21 1/2 lbs. weight.

Total flights 40 at 8 minutes for 320 minutes in the air time. Or 5 hrs total flight time.

Flaps mix to elevator.

Ailerons mix to rudder.

I have made at least 5 engine out landings. Yes outboard engines have quit.

Primary reason for inflight failure was loose cap on fuel tank allowing leakage.

True turn spinners.

Consider 4 saito' .30 about $800 4 spinners at about $35 ea inc adaptor $140, 4 micro servos $120 4 fuel tanks $20 total for just
engines is about $1200 and this doesn't include the fuse or radio systems.

Quite a bird.

Name:	Bz77013.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	11.1 KB
ID:	1318638   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni23548.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	1318639   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq36999.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	1318640   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ib81942.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	1318641  
Old 11-22-2009, 01:09 PM
STORMERSTU

Click my username Kostas, you'll see it dry fitted in my living room.

Old 11-22-2009, 01:22 PM
lrod

Quite a bird indeed!
Impressed by your small report, Jim. Quite a project!
Ok, I don't want to divert from the topic anymore.
Thanks for the info. Hope you don't have to make many more engine out landings.

Good luck!
Old 04-18-2010, 06:58 PM
cam425
My Feedback: (1)

I just finished building mine and she is ready to fly. I put a Dle-30cc gas in it and an 18x8 prop.
Old 04-18-2010, 07:20 PM
jimcork1

ORIGINAL: cam425

I just finished building mine and she is ready to fly. I put a Dle-30cc gas in it and an 18x8 prop.
Please post photos and flight shots. Anything you would like to add to improve bird would be great also.
Old 04-19-2010, 11:24 AM
Kostas1

ORIGINAL: jimcork1

ORIGINAL: cam425

Please post photos and flight shots. Anything you would like to add to improve bird would be great also.

Ah yes,

some pictures !!!
Old 04-19-2010, 12:58 PM
lrod

Congrats!

Nice engine selection. The DLE30 is a sweet engine! [sm=thumbup.gif] A friend of mine has one.
Very light, powerful and reliable. Nice throttle response too.
It's the best chinese engine for this application.

Unfortunately, I'm currently very short on cash, so I went for this cheaper (+- half the price) [link=http://www.himodel.com/engines/GF40i_40cc_Petrol_Engine_Kit_for_Radio_Control_Aer oplane_Loose_Parts_Version.html]40cc engine kit[/link]:
It's not on par with the DLE30... it's considerably heavier and only marginally more powerful (worse power/weight ratio).
But I'm hoping the extra displacement will provide more torque on the low revs... which will be good for high-alpha maneuvers, hovers and torque rolls.
Also, in 2-stroke engines, high-end power generally means weaker low end torque (it has to do with exhaust port geometry... but I'm not going into that right now).
Taking all this into account, I'm going to try a 20x8 prop. (would have gone for a wider diameter, but there isn't enough clearance).
Provided I can get the CG right with all this weight, that is... [sm=72_72.gif]
That remains to be seen...

The bad news is that I'm currently very busy with work... plus I'm studying for my MSc in Mech. Eng...
So, no time at all... []
That means that I'll start building mine only in the Summer....

But I promise to keep you guys posted on any development.

Thanks for keeping this thread alive.

Cheers!

P.S. Looking forward to your photos... also, please share your experience (i.e. what problems and difficulties have you encountered?)
P.P.S. Also, please let us know your choice of servos (I already bought mine... going to use Savöx all-round).

Old 05-12-2010, 12:29 PM
cam425

Sorry I took so long to respond. I am new to RcUniverse and didn't subscribe to the thread so I never relized anyone replied. I recently had shoulder surgery and the recovery is going to keep me grounded for at least another month. I am currently breaking in the Dle 30 and it is going great. After reading every post on this thread I am starting to become a little nervous as to how she will fly and hold together. I used the stock wing hinges, didn't get a lot of glue on the vertical stablizer and its extremely hard to get in there to put more, and I am using the standard wood screws that came with the plane to hold the wings on. Also from what I understand on this thread she is not a good flier and wants to stall a lot. I hope I have good luck when I do fly it and everything goes well. I will take some videos and pics of the finished product. Hopefully my shoulder heals quick so I can maiden soon. Will keep you updated on how it goes.

Old 05-12-2010, 12:31 PM
cam425

ORIGINAL: lrod

Congrats!

Nice engine selection. The DLE30 is a sweet engine! [sm=thumbup.gif] A friend of mine has one.
Very light, powerful and reliable. Nice throttle response too.
It's the best chinese engine for this application.

Unfortunately, I'm currently very short on cash, so I went for this cheaper (+- half the price) [link=http://www.himodel.com/engines/GF40i_40cc_Petrol_Engine_Kit_for_Radio_Control_Aer oplane_Loose_Parts_Version.html]40cc engine kit[/link]:
It's not on par with the DLE30... it's considerably heavier and only marginally more powerful (worse power/weight ratio).
But I'm hoping the extra displacement will provide more torque on the low revs... which will be good for high-alpha maneuvers, hovers and torque rolls.
Also, in 2-stroke engines, high-end power generally means weaker low end torque (it has to do with exhaust port geometry... but I'm not going into that right now).
Taking all this into account, I'm going to try a 20x8 prop. (would have gone for a wider diameter, but there isn't enough clearance).
Provided I can get the CG right with all this weight, that is... [sm=72_72.gif]
That remains to be seen...

The bad news is that I'm currently very busy with work... plus I'm studying for my MSc in Mech. Eng...
So, no time at all... []
That means that I'll start building mine only in the Summer....

But I promise to keep you guys posted on any development.

Thanks for keeping this thread alive.

Cheers!

P.S. Looking forward to your photos... also, please share your experience (i.e. what problems and difficulties have you encountered?)
P.P.S. Also, please let us know your choice of servos (I already bought mine... going to use Savöx all-round).

How much did you pay for your 40cc?
Old 05-12-2010, 01:34 PM
cam425

So here is my plane setup.
Like I said before the DLE-30cc with side Carb. (I flipped the carb upside down on it for throttle linkage purposes)
A Spektrum AR7000 reciever for my DX7
A Caslte Creations CC Bec Pro so that i can run my 3s lipo for reciever power.(set to 6v output)
a standard hitec 322-hd throttle servo
BMS-621MG High Speed Servo (Metal Gear) (Ailerons)
Weight: 47 grams / 1.66 oz
Dimensions: 40.5 x 20 x 38.5 mm / 1.60 x 0.78 x 1.54 inch
Torque At 6.0V: 7.2kg-cm , 109 oz-in
Speed At 6.0V: 0.10 sec / 60° at no load
3 of these, 2 for elevator 1 for rudder( BMS-660DMG+HS Super Strong Digital Servo (MG))
Weight: 52g / 1.84oz
Dimensions: 40.5 x 20 x 42mm / 1.60" x 0.78" x 1.62"
Torque At 6.0V: 14.2kg/cm , 190 oz/in
Speed At 6.0V: 0.17 sec / 60° at no load
Hmmm...what else is there.
18x8 xoar sword white prop from valley view rc with a jedi cut 3" spinner from them as well.
Just for fun i installed the DLE rpm tachometer that connects directly to a servo wire coming out of the Rcexl ignition.
I am currently working on a full Break in review for the Dle 30. I am logging everything from temperatures, rpm's, fuel run time.
I am using a 16 oz. dubro tank with gas conversion stopper from sullivan.
If there is anything I forgot please ask, but that's all I can think of right now.
Old 05-12-2010, 01:36 PM
cam425

I don't know how to post pictures yet. this is a trial

Name:	Pm34755.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	1434947  
Old 05-12-2010, 01:56 PM
Kostas1

Please post some more pics...looks so nice!
Old 05-12-2010, 04:58 PM
viper1676

Hi Cam,

I actually have had good luck with the wing bolts so far. Just don't tighten them to much. They're just there to keep the ing from sliding off or rotating, you don't need to crank em. As far as the the rear stab goes, I bought a sort of syringe type thing that you can inject epoxy with. It works awesome. I was able to slip it under the plastic cover on the rear fin and put a bunch of epoxy in there. It hasn't gone back up yet, but it's pretty much ready to go. As far as flying, mine was fine until the engine died. It flies like a large aerobatic plane should. I have an Edge with a 1.50 Saito and it flies pretty much like that. Just remember it's heavy, so keep some power in it and you will be fine. It flies like a heavy sport plane, so if you've flown one, you will be fine. If you compare it to a .40 size plane, then yes it may seem hard to fly.
Old 05-12-2010, 05:21 PM
jimcork1

I modified my wing attachment bolts for 1/4 x 20 nylon on the inside of the fuse vs. the screw type into the spar.

Works much better. Still fighting the exhaust through the cowl not satisfied yet. Sat I will fly it again to see how the new set up works out.
Old 05-12-2010, 05:35 PM
lrod

How much did you pay for your 40cc?

I don't actually recall the exact amount...
They have it listed as $138.40 (click [link=http://www.himodel.com/engines/GF40i_40cc_Petrol_Engine_Kit_for_Radio_Control_Aer oplane_Loose_Parts_Version.html]here[/link]) but I have the impression that it was even cheaper at the time I ordered (about 6 months ago).
Old 05-17-2010, 09:35 PM
cam425

i have a little problem i need your help with, my dle 30 won't idle low enough to keep from pulling the plane on the ground. I have to hold it or else it wants to role pretty fast. Any suggestions?
Old 05-17-2010, 10:00 PM
viper1676

You can try pushing the wheel collars tight against the wheel. This will act almost as a permanant on brake however under power it will roll fine. You can do the same adding small washers as well. You just need to check them for tightness every once in a while as they will wear a little.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.