Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 21 of 56 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: New Funtana 125

Most guys are swinging 19x8's on their DL-30's
    Lots of pull for a 10.5lb plane

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Should be a fine match then. My Funtana with a Saito 125 didn't have the power I thought it would have. Hopefully, the DLE 30 or MT 35 will yank it from a hoover something the Saito 125 wouldn't do. Don't get me wrong it would pull it out but not very impressive.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Very strange results. My Funtana 125 weighs 9.5 lbs, has the Saito 125 and pulls out of a hover nicely. Not a rocket, but will pull out if anything goes wrong with the hover. I am using a 17 x 4w apc prop and PowerMaster fuel at 15% nitro, 16% Synthetic/Caster oil. The engine was used on my Funtana X100 and has about 5 gallons of fuel through it. Also in SW Oklahoma at 1100 ASL. Don't know if that makes any difference or not.
    John
    AMA 615755

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I talked to Mike at last year's Joe Nall about this airplane and told him I was thinking about using the YS 140FZ and he said it would be perfect. I'm leaning to wards it as I'll I'd have to buy would be a muffler for it. Central has one that looks like it'll be perfect.

I did some more work tonight get the radio setup and installing the extensions for the ailerons and installing the elev servos. I use charge adapter fittings for the aileron plug In's as I hate the wires just hanging around, easy to plug the aileron servos into the side of the fuse with one hand while putting the wing on with the other. I'm thinking about using 4/40 screws at the end of the wing tube to secure the wings on. One screw would be removed to remove the wing. No having too take the canopy off every time.
    Be a kid forever, fly models.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Mastertech

I talked to Mike at last year's Joe Nall about this airplane and told him I was thinking about using the YS 140FZ and he said it would be perfect. I'm leaning to wards it as I'll I'd have to buy would be a muffler for it. Central has one that looks like it'll be perfect.

I did some more work tonight get the radio setup and installing the extensions for the ailerons and installing the elev servos. I use charge adapter fittings for the aileron plug In's as I hate the wires just hanging around, easy to plug the aileron servos into the side of the fuse with one hand while putting the wing on with the other. I'm thinking about using 4/40 screws at the end of the wing tube to secure the wings on. One screw would be removed to remove the wing. No having too take the canopy off every time.
    Nice ideas. Great big hands here. I like the idea of one handed plug ins when installing the wing. The RH wing bolt is close enough to the throttle servo to cause me to have to hold my mouth just right to install/remove it too.... So, regarding the bolt plan. Where would you install them? Somewhere near the wing root? What would be involved?

You need to try the gas. Even if it's not with this plane. On paper, I can see the DLE or MT engines as pretty crazy with this airframe once you could get them all figured out. Weight would be about the same as mine (10.5lbs), with nearly twice that amount available for thrust? On 3.00 per gallon fuel?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The wing bolts go at the end of the wing tube, never at the root. I normally do this as I'm building the wing but as an ARF it gets a bit different.

Take two long pieces of balsa, tape the together at one end, making sure the other ends are in perfect alignment. Slide one of these into the wing tube and the other outside the wing. This will locate the end of the tube and where it is in the wing. Now drill a small hole about 1/4" or so from the end of the tube through the balsa into the wing into the tube. Remove the balsa and slip the wing tube back into the wing. Using the drill bit down through the hole, mark the wing tube. Pull it out and check the mark to ensure you're somewhere near the center, perfect center isn't required. Glue a 1/2 moon piece of hardwood into the end of the tube to use has an anchor point. Here we can use a small piece of ply or dowel placed into the wing to act as a hard point. At this point drill the hole through the hard point and wing tube at one time. We can then thread the hardwood to accept the 4-40 bolt small dot of covering might be required. The hole in the tube itself doesn't need to be threaded as it only keeps the wing from sliding off the tube. Now install the entire wing into the airplane and drill the other side.

Only have to remove one bolt to remove the wing this way. There is really no stress on these bolts so over building is required.

One other way to locate the wing tube, Take a piece of balsa and tape it on one end of the wing tube making sure it's in the center from end to end of the tube. Making sure one end is perfectly aligned with the end of the tube but 1/4" short. Slide the wing tube into the wing with the balsa on the outside of the wing and align the tube to the high point and mark the wing at the end of the balsa. Drill as before. If picks are needed I can do so tomorrow night.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Re: the wing bolt idea. Was checking this out as I like the idea of not having to remove the hatch all the time. I get the plan regarding how to mark the hole accurately, and how to beef up the wing tube to hold the threads, but while checking things out, wondering what will support the head of the bolt? There's like a 3/8" gap from the top/bottom of the wing tube socket - to the monokote skin - in the area near the end of the tube? Do you insert the bolt through a hole in the monokote, let the bolt clamp down on the O/D of the female side of the wing tube? If building, you could set this up easily, I can see that. Just wondering about your thoughts in this instance.

Ernst charge jack sockets installed where servo wires originally passed through fuse side without modification. Love it! Thanks for the idea!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

i am using saito 150 for this plane ....Äħt is perfect choise because it have enough weight for funtana 125 cg problem and so it is 26cc ...
    Äħt have power like gas engine of course if you use with perry pump ,big clunk,1/8" tubing ,fuel tank go 16 oz to 20 oz ...
    peace of all.always

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: ahicks

Re: the wing bolt idea. Was checking this out as I like the idea of not having to remove the hatch all the time. I get the plan regarding how to mark the hole accurately, and how to beef up the wing tube to hold the threads, but while checking things out, wondering what will support the head of the bolt? There's like a 3/8'' gap from the top/bottom of the wing tube socket - to the monokote skin - in the area near the end of the tube? Do you insert the bolt through a hole in the monokote, let the bolt clamp down on the O/D of the female side of the wing tube? If building, you could set this up easily, I can see that. Just wondering about your thoughts in this instance.

Ernst charge jack sockets installed where servo wires originally passed through fuse side without modification. Love it! Thanks for the idea!
    I normally use a small piece of ply or dowel to thread into and allow the bolt head to tighten against that. The 1/2 moon in the tube is not required if you don't thread that part. The hole in the tube isn't a concern. The bolt only has to be snug enough not to back out as it's not really holding anything. Small piece of nyrod would do the same thing. I let the head of the bolt stick above the wing. If there's enough room you could sink it in but I've never done that. One could use one of the rubber backed washers as well.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Can you provide some snapshots of this type of wing attachment?
    John
    AMA 615755

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Sure, I'll try to post some tonight.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well I got the camera ready and pulled a wing out to take pictures then figured out all it would be was a picture of a bolt head on a wing.

Maybe this makes more sense, Of course the bolt goes into the bottom of the wing. I drew it upside down.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey

Would u guys believe this to be a good plane to have as my first gasser. I was considering this plane for my first 90 size and or gas model along with a couple of others. Also will the Z 20 hover this plane or do i need to step to maybe the Z 26 instead. One other thing, is this plane come setup for dual alerions or are is it just a single setup.

Any help would be greatly appreciated !

Thanks Scott

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I believe it's a good airplane for gas. It has dual aileron servos.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

26-30cc's.
    Anderson

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

No clue to your abilities, but as a "sport flier"when picking out my first gas, I was looking for something pretty sturdy, and with a little less control surface? I studied the Tiger 120, the Sig 4 Star, and the one I ended up with for the first, the Giant Sportster. Just me...

This plane has one servo per aileron. At low rates, with 30% expo and a forward CG (nose heavy) it will fly like a trainer. I have found no tendancy to tip stall and one of my easiest planes to fly.

Scott, I think I miissed the point of your question. I am flying mine with a 120 AX and Bisson pitts muffler; these together weigh approximatlely 25 oz.. I also added 6 oz in the nose to get the recommended cg. So a typical gas set up may add another 6 to 8 oz in the nose. I am also interested in changing to gas without having a great effect on the wing loading. I thought about the Saito 20 gasser, which is in the Hanger 9 video on Horizon's web site, but have noticed alot of problems on the Saito 20 blog. Any one use a Evo 26? or other suggestions would be appreciated.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

From a bucks spent for bang received, it looks to me like the MT35 and DLE30 are hard to ignore at this point. The problem is there just aren't a lot of them out there yet. Been trying to stay up with what's been going on the last few months, and can I just say there's a lot going on? I know nothing for sure, but kinda suspect there may be some new stuff at Toledo - as if there weren't enough going on already?

I think the z26 would hover it, but after seeing the numbers (weight?), doubt I'd buy one over this other stuff right now? Just me there though. I don't mind gambling on new stuff that is looking good, but possibly not proven well.

z26 is a Zenoah 26? Have you heard of the Syssa 30? I heard the DL 30 has a stalling problem due to its side mounted carb and crancase design. Valley View is now offering a retro kit (with limited stock) for rear mounting the carb. I am leaning toward the Evo 26 or Syssa 30. Although I would like some feedback on this plane set up with gas. Thanks for the reply.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I flew the maiden flight with my SAP-180 on my 9.5 lb Funtana 125 on Sunday at the CCRCC Farmington field. Apparently a spectator caught my first take-off on video, so I will share the link when I get it.

I've been flying the Funtana X100 for several years with an Evolution 26cc gasoline engine and an Xoar 18X6 prop, so have a baseline for my comments. I haven't flown the X100 since October, so I will bring both to the field one day soon for a head to head comparison.

The Funtana 125 requires that the carburetor of the SAP 180 extend beyond the firewall, inside the engine box. This required a long post connected to the inner hole on the choke arm. I also shortened the choke arm to clear the inner side of the engine box (see pictures from previous posts). Initially I had problems sealing as the ball link made contact with the engine stand-off bolt, but with Todd's help, we extended the offset bolt and created a visible clearance. Rocking the prop with the throttle open and manual choke extension pulled down draws the fuel from the tank with a few rocks.

The engine started on the second flip the first time, and on the first flip the next two starts. The field was was busy and it was breezy on Sunday, so I waited over an hour between flights. I haven't flow much in the past month, and with the 8-10 mile per hour cross wind, was more hesitant than I normally am.

The Funtana launched in what seemed like a few feet on each take-off. It never coughed or sputtered, and even with the idle down to no thrust, it ran without dieing. I flew some high rate rolls, a few slow rolls, knife edge in both directions and hovered twice of a few seconds. It punched out of the hover like I've seen Todd do with his Yak, but I never got it to full throttle when punching out, it was gone at about 3/4 throttle.

I land the Funtana with a little throttle or no throttle and blip it if it slows too much. The throttle response on the SAP 180 from idle to 1/8 or 1/4 is instantaneous, absolutely no hesitation, much better than my Evolution 26cc.

This engine far exceeded my expectations, although I've seen Todd flying his for several years.

As a disclaimer, I fly with Todd at CCRCC, his dad taught me to fly. So if my evaluation is tainted because I'd like to see a friend succeed, judge it so. To be honest, if this engine wasn't any good, I wouldn't write anything. After all I've read, I'm very happy that I bought the SAP 180 and not the competition, and will trade my Evolution 26cc with anyone who purchased the SAP 180 and doesn't like it.

Damon

Right now I think the best in class is the Syssa SAP 180 (30cc) engine. It rockets out of a hover.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KujL2E-oDkM[/youtube]

My Evolution 26 is not nearly as powerful, as you can see in the video it will not power out of a hover.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RxMilk9ie4[/youtube]

Thank you for sharing the videos. While I couldn't open the one with the Syssa, I think you answered my question. Can you tell me what props you are flying with each engine? Also did you have to add any weight for the Syssa to obtain proper CG, or was it achieved via battery/equipment location? Final weight with Syssa? How do you like the Syssa? To many questions?? Thanks again!!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Agree on Syssa, love the rear exhaust layout, but am the impatient sort. I'm not ready/willing to wait for months to get one. One of these days though....

From what I've read, DLE30 stalling issue is over hyped, internet amplified. I don't have one, so just stating my take on what I've read.

Love the Evolution video! What prop/size are you running on it? Just wondering because I don't know any better, but have you messed with different sizes/brands? Not pretending to be an expert, but I can tell you that I've experienced some pretty wide variations in performance jumping around between brands/types/sizes that are all taching out in the "acceptable" range? So far, APC "w" series props are working pretty good for me on the Sporster.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

In the video of the Funtana X 100 with the Evolution 26cc, the prop is an APC 18X6W; since then I switched to a Xoar 18X6. There is a test in on of the magazines (Fly RC?) that showed the maximum thrust with a 18X6 of about 12 lbs (I'll find the issue sometime to validate my memory). I've seen a Syssa motor pull 18 lbs of thrust, which seems correct because the same scale measured 22.8 lbs of thrust with my DA50 running a Xoar 22X8 prop. We haven't measured the thrust on my Syssa, but will do that sometime soon.

Personally, I would order the Syssa. A month wait to get the best engine in this class is worth the wait. The fact the the Syssa comes with the rear carb and exhaust included in the price, makes it competitive in price. I just hate to cut a big nasty hole for the carburetor and exhaust, when an engine exists that fits. Does anyone else build a rear carb, rear exhaust that starts consistently one one or two flips, that transitions effortlessly from idle to wide open? I've been reading all that's been posted about the various engines, and am very happy with the choice I made. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure the competitors have good products, at this point it seems there are few engines that I wouldn't buy. I just think that considering all the options, the Syssa is the best choice for the Hanger 9 Funtana, and many other high performance aircraft. I wish you luck with your purchase and look forward to your build and flight reports.

I initially achieved balance, toward the back of the range, without any modifications. The ignition is on the engine box, throttle servo is in the stock location, and the fuel tank is moved rearward. I posted video of my build several pages back. I then added a Graph Tech tail gear because I like to have control of my aircraft on the ground. At that point the model was balancing at the extreme rear of the recommended CG, so I mounted the rudder servo inside and installed Sullivan Golden rod for pull pull.

Damon

Thank you both for the imput. I will likely give the Syssa a try. Take care!

Page 21 of 56 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast