Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

New Funtana 125

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

New Funtana 125

Old 09-29-2010, 11:17 PM
darylm44

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Funtana 125

I have finally mounted my RCG 26 gasser and am getting ready to maiden my Funtana 125. A friend and I ran a tank of gas through the engine and it seems to have smoothed out quit a bit. I have to secure a few things and if the weather permits we will maiden it tomorrow. I shortened the motor box by 1" so the cowl would fit and the plane balances easily.
Old 09-30-2010, 03:45 PM
lopflyers
My Feedback: (12)

Hello everybody, I have 2 questions. I am thinking of buying an used Funtana X100, does anybody has one, how are they.
Also, what is best to hold the screws that goes from the engine mount to the firewall. I used RTV in my Mustang, running a Saito 100 and lost two in the air the other day, good thing that I ran out of fuel on time.
Old 09-30-2010, 04:11 PM
lopflyers
My Feedback: (12)

Saito115 or 125 for the Funtana X 100??
Old 09-30-2010, 04:21 PM
JohnB96041

Have the Saito 1.00 in mine and it flys great. I use the blind nuts behind the firewall and then use thred lock on the bolts (blue color). I use the Saito 1.25 on the S90 and the 125's. Later will buy another 1.25 for the X100.
Old 09-30-2010, 05:59 PM
Bandit
My Feedback: (5)

Horizon has pushed back expected "in stock" date to Jan 2011, but also show "arriving soon" too. 3months out is not *my* idea of soon though. I wonder if they are correcting the "Yellowing" covering in the new shipment. Any of the guys that reported this issue to them heard anything back yet? I have an OS FS120 pumper waiting for me to pull the trigger and order a Funtana 125...

Bandit
Old 09-30-2010, 08:16 PM
Bdegan

ORIGINAL: Bandit

Horizon has pushed back expected ''in stock'' date to Jan 2011, but also show ''arriving soon'' too. 3months out is not *my* idea of soon though. I wonder if they are correcting the ''Yellowing'' covering in the new shipment. Any of the guys that reported this issue to them heard anything back yet? I have an OS FS120 pumper waiting for me to pull the trigger and order a Funtana 125...

Bandit
Yes, I spoke with them on Monday this week. They were going to replace my Funtana which was sent to them for the yellowing issue.
They were intending to send me another Funtana, but have sinced stopped production. They offered me any other plane of equal value or Credit with Horizon to spend on any Horizon proprietary product. Such as hangar 9, JR, Spektrum, Seagull etc.
I spent it on spektrum receivers.
Horizon said they weren't bringing in anymore until they get the covering issue sorted out.
Old 10-01-2010, 01:16 AM
OK2Fly

Wow, now I really wish I didn't plow mine into a tree.
Old 10-01-2010, 06:03 AM
Bdegan

From what I saw on their website, they have all the individual parts in stock. Just not the complete kit.
Old 10-01-2010, 07:05 AM
Bandit

ORIGINAL: Bdegan

Yes, I spoke with them on Monday this week. They were going to replace my Funtana which was sent to them for the yellowing issue.
They were intending to send me another Funtana, but have sinced stopped production. They offered me any other plane of equal value or Credit with Horizon to spend on any Horizon proprietary product. Such as hangar 9, JR, Spektrum, Seagull etc.
I spent it on spektrum receivers.
Horizon said they weren't bringing in anymore until they get the covering issue sorted out.
Kewl, thanks for the update. January will be fine as long as the yellowing issue is fixed. When you spend $300 for a plane you expect it to be of good quality with minimal issues. Covering discoloring is a biggie in my book.

Bandit
Old 10-04-2010, 11:45 PM
darylm44

The wind finally died down this afternoon and I was able to maiden the Funtana. The RCG 26cc had one tank of gas through it so I just flew slow circles with a few up lines while breaking the engine in. It took about 4 clicks of up trim to fly straight and level. The ailerons were a little sensitive for me so I increased the expo and the plane settled in and flys very gentle. I did not try high rates yet because it was a little cold and I was more than a little nerves. I think I am going to like this plane.
Old 10-06-2010, 03:57 PM
Slow and Steady

Daryl, I think you will like this plane the more you fly it. It has a very flexible flying envelope, which can handle 3 d, sport of precision. Good luck
Old 10-07-2010, 12:55 AM
darylm44

I have 5 tanks of gas through the RCG 26 now and am ready to start tuning it up and finding the right prop. The only prop I had for it is an 18-6 which is the maximum recommended. I think it is over proped right now and running rich because it is only turning 7100 rpms which makes it fly very slow. The engine has never died on me so I have kept it rich for the breaking.

We are going to town tomorrow so I will try to pick up a 17-6 and a 16-8. One of our young pilots in the club had a RCG 26 and says it ran best on the 16-8. Hopefully I can pick up some substantial rpms and increase the planes flying speed.

I have tried to knife edge a couple of times and it seems to pull to the canopy heavily. Loops and rolls are OK after I increased my expo some. At this time I am a little disappointed, it doesn't seem to fly as good as the Freenzy I am replacing and certainly does not compare with my Focus Sport. Hopefully as I get things sorted out I will be more pleased.
Old 10-07-2010, 06:54 AM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I had an RCGF/Aerovate on mine. APC 18x6w somewhere in the 7700 -7800 range, maybe a little higher, was the best I found after quite a bit of messing around.

You sound like you're running into why I thought I'd shop around some after loosing mine. For me, Funtana 3D envelope seemed fine for my skill level, but the sport and precision pieces I was hoping for... were lacking.

Aeroworks Yak/DLE30 very close to maiden. My Funtanna was 10.5lbs, Yak is closer to 11 with a little less wing area - but it appears to be much sturdier. Hoping it flies as well as everyone says it does.
Old 10-07-2010, 07:57 AM
Woody218
My Feedback: (24)

If any of you guys are looking for one of these, Graves Hobbies has two of them in stock.
Old 10-07-2010, 11:26 AM
Slow and Steady

I have six planes and they all fly differently from each other; I like the variety, but the Funtana with a Syssa 30 CC gas is one of my favorites. It flies level, inverted or upright, and performs most menuvers with ease. The flat spins have easy entry and are great to watch. During knife edge, it will pull to the gear, more rudder - more pull. Landings require almost full stall (it is a floater), but it will not drop a wing. Stall turns are also on point or rounded, and predictable. I don't do 3d, but I have to believe, based on video, it should be easily accomplished with appropriate skill. I also agree with AHICKs, there are now alot of choices in this size, though I don't believe any will have lower wing loading, if that matters, as long as it is reasonable. I think you will enjoy this plane as it gets dialed in. The right prop and CG make a big difference. 26 cc should be plenty of power.
Old 10-10-2010, 02:16 PM
darylm44

ORIGINAL: Mastertech

Finally got a dead calm day to test the changes I made to the 'Tana.

My set up is just like the factory elect setup.

Power110
APC 17x8
HV85
5s5000 x 2

The measurements on the airplane when first flown were 0-0-0

I flew the airplane about a dozen flights adjusting the control throws and expo to my
liking. I also moved the CG to the front of the CG range from middle of the recommended range.

I found the airplane to be a chore to fly and just not fun at all. The control throws were
far to sensitive for my taste. The airplane had a noticeable pull to the gear in the down
lines and up lines and the KE was vicious to the gear. Landings were shall we say
un-nerving having to hold a good bit of down elevator.

Totally unacceptable for precision sport flying IMHO.

I decided to move the CG forward and recheck, things got better but still not fun.
I'd had enough of this airplane and decided to try a few things I thought would help. I
refuse to fly an airplane that doesn't behave and do what I tell it to within reason.
I've flown a lot of sport airplanes over the last 35 years and none of them fly really
well, some have really nasty habits and some come pretty close to being very fun.

Here's what I changed,

1. I blocked the airplane up and stuck my measuring devices on it and ensured where I
started at and it was 0-0-0 measured from the canopy rail.

2. I added wing adjusters to the main wing pins and slotted the rear pins. I adjusted both
wings to .5 positive.

3. I added 1 degree down thrust to the motor.

4. Moved the CG to about 1/4'' in front of the recommended CG range.

I then went today and flew the airplane in dead calm winds.

I can report that these changes have made a world of difference in this airplane.

The pull to the gear is gone in the vertical up and down lines, the KE push to the gear is
far less than it was, on the order of 2/3 less. The landings are now more normal with the
airplane almost landing itself in a slight nose up attitude, no more having to push down
elevator to set it up. The entire airplane now feels more locked in in all flight axis than
it was, before it was always hunting in pitch. The elevator is softer around neutral than
it was which is nice.

Over all I believe these changes have made this a far better sport plane than it was
before.

If your a sport flier with this airplane you might want to try these mods.

If you're a 3D hovering type I doubt you'll like these changes, I really don't know as that
isn't my style of flying.

I'm now pleased with the Tana and shall continue to refine it as time progresses, I just
can't seem to leave anything alone for long.
Are you still flying this plane? I am thinking about making your modifications to see if it improves handling. Have you tried anything else.
Old 10-13-2010, 10:18 PM
darylm44

Had a chance to fly the funtana again this afternoon with a couple of different props. Tried a 17-6 and a 16-8. I liked the 17-6 best. The engine turned 7500 rpms on the 17-6 and the plane flew much better. Even knife edge was much better than with the 18-6 tunigy prop. The plane does land like a *****cat, just give it a little throttle before touchdown and it floats right in.
Old 10-14-2010, 03:09 AM
ameyam

Wish there were more sources of this airplane and they were more sensible in shipping quotes. They also ran out of stock before I could get a quote out of them. Looks like I am heading towards the Reactor Bipe

Ameyam
Old 10-14-2010, 05:37 AM
Jim5528

I have the Reactor Bipe and think it flies better than my Funtana.

Jim

Old 10-14-2010, 07:06 AM
ameyam

Jim,

which of these do you think is better in terms of build quality

Ameyam
Old 10-14-2010, 08:02 AM
Jim5528

In my opinion the Reactor is better.

Jim
Old 10-18-2010, 07:12 PM
Bandit

I noticed last Friday, Horizon has updated the Funtana 125's status to "in stock" again. This is a total turn-around from what they were posting it's availability. Before Friday, It had an estimated availability of January 2011. It's now in stock in October 2010?? Things that make you go hmmm... I just hope they aren't clearing out stock of the ones that have yellowing issues in hopes they'll have minmal returns for that defect. The guys that did have the yellowing issue, have you heard any news from Horizon??

Bandit

Old 10-18-2010, 08:40 PM
ro347
My Feedback: (13)

ORIGINAL: Jim5528

I have the Reactor Bipe and think it flies better than my Funtana.

Jim

Why do you say that? Please explain.

Thanks
Old 10-20-2010, 03:03 AM
ameyam

ORIGINAL: Bandit

I noticed last Friday, Horizon has updated the Funtana 125's status to ''in stock'' again. This is a total turn-around from what they were posting it's availability. Before Friday, It had an estimated availability of January 2011. It's now in stock in October 2010?? Things that make you go hmmm... I just hope they aren't clearing out stock of the ones that have yellowing issues in hopes they'll have minmal returns for that defect. The guys that did have the yellowing issue, have you heard any news from Horizon??

Bandit

I wrote to Horizon in this regard and this was the reply I got:

Quote:

“We do agree that there is a slight hue change to the white when exposed to the sun. This is actually fairly normal for white print.†The Funtana is now available because we have evaluated them for the yellowing problem and decided to sell them instead of waiting for the next production run.

Unquote

Can someone really post pictures showing how bad the yellowing is? I have a number of airplanes with white cote and they will go yellow with age. You can see the difference between the part that is open and the part that is covered e.g. part of covering under the fuselage. I really like the airplane and want to purchase it but I will like to see the yellowing issue first

Ameyam

Old 10-20-2010, 07:04 AM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

If you look back a few pages there were some photos posted that clearly show the issue. What makes this yellowing particularly distastefull is that not all the white on the plane is doing the same thing. There are several areas where you have the yellowing issue present right next to areas without the problem - making the issue that much more noticable.

This is about what I expected. It'll empty their pipe line of defective planes and limit the number of claims from people not happy with the situation. Then, when they figure out how to fix the issue, or change suppliers, they'll just quietly make a running change..... maybe with the introduction of a new version, and hopefully some trim changes.

This is really too bad. This could be a nice plane with just a little attention on their part.... Maybe even offering it ready to cover?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.