Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

New Funtana 125

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

New Funtana 125

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 08:02 AM
Bdegan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Funtana 125

Hi guys,
As ahicks stated, the only reason the yellowing stands out is because there are areas where that particular covering is right next to plain old white ultracote.
The printed graphics are printed on a thin clear film that is overlaid on the white ultracote.
A friend of mine in the printing industry checked out my plane before it went back to Horizon. He said it was either this clear film or the adhesive used to stick it over the white ultracote that was turning yellow.
I had a couple of spots on a horzontal stab where the clear film got peeled up. The ultracote underneith was white just like the rest of the plane.
You could clearly see that it was the new process that had turned yellow.
Old 10-20-2010, 10:35 AM
ameyam

I wrote back to Horizon. Told them that at that price (incl customs and shipping its nearly $700 landed) its too expensive for this type of problem. I will wait for the next production run to order my model

Ameyam
Old 10-20-2010, 12:59 PM
Bandit
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: ameyam

I wrote back to Horizon. Told them that at that price (incl customs and shipping its nearly $700 landed) its too expensive for this type of problem. I will wait for the next production run to order my model

Ameyam
What's sad is, who *knows* when the next run of planes will start shipping and when will they run out of the ones that DO have the issue? IMO it's poor business practice to sell a product with issues that have been brought to their attention. They must of thought it serious enough to have pulled it off the market with stock still in the warehouse, right? I'd really like to get one, but this turn of events sure puts a sour taste in my mouth about Horizon's business practices. I will probably pass on buying one or *any* Hanger 9 ARF for that matter. Shrug, I guess customer satisfaction is a low priority for them...

Bandit
Old 10-20-2010, 01:22 PM
JohnB96041

I agree with Bandit. However, if they would reduce the price of the ones in stock that have the covering problem, I would order 2 right now. I love this airplane and have all three versions. S90, 100X, 125's. They can always be recovered and I'll bet some of the folks on this forum would have some better covering ideas than H9 anyway.
Old 10-20-2010, 01:38 PM
ameyam

I agree. If they lowered the price I would surely buy too.

Horizon informed they may have a retailer in my country by Feb. If so, I should be cheaper to buy from him. Lets see what develops. In the meantime, I am picking up the GP Reactor Bipe. Have the FS91SII and servos for it anyway

Ameyam
Old 10-20-2010, 02:00 PM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

What's really bad is I keep thinking of all the guys that are going to be blind sided with this problem? When they see what happens to the covering after being in the sun light, then logging in to a site like this one and finding that it was a known issue that was just being swept under the carpet. I'd be PI$$ED!! They need to at least mention the potential for the problem to exist someplace where potential buyers can find it?
Old 10-20-2010, 02:01 PM
Bandit

ORIGINAL: JohnB96041

I agree with Bandit. However, if they would reduce the price of the ones in stock that have the covering problem, I would order 2 right now. I love this airplane and have all three versions. S90, 100X, 125's. They can always be recovered and I'll bet some of the folks on this forum would have some better covering ideas than H9 anyway.
Reducing the price would be a welcome gesture since they are selling less than ideal product at this time. Sigh, but they haven't which shows me they really don't give a damn about their customers. I'd buy one in a heartbeat at a reduced price even knowing the covering would need to be redone in the near future. Anyone at Horizon listening???

Bandit
Old 10-21-2010, 11:16 PM
Slow and Steady

It does seem questionable at best that they would sell these at full price knowing they are not first quality. Also seems like indifference to customer satisfaction. Don't think Great Planes would do this. It definitely doesn't enhance their reputation. I fly mine at least twice a week and it appears that it is becoming more yellow. In the beginning it was a disappointment; the finish is now an embarrasment; and is more obvious to the other flyers at my field, who have commented about it.
Old 10-22-2010, 03:11 AM
ameyam

Slow and Steady,

some time back I received an airplane called Topstar 60 from my mentor. Actually, I was looking for my first 3D airplane and was told that this is an excellent airplane (If is similar to the Flip3D). My mentor said he had one and therefore asked me not to buy a new one. When I first received it, I thought to mysely "it looks positively horrible". In this specific model, the tail had a reputation for snapping off so he used fibreglass cloth to strengthen it and he used clearcote paint all over. It has clear covering and the above made it look dull and dirty.

But when I flew it, I realised there was nothing else on the field like that airplane. I liked it so much, I picked up a brand new box (three were available, 1 was purchased by another member who saw me fly, one I took and 3rd was a display piece box damaged. Model is no longer in production)

Tell your fellow fliers not to judge the airplane by the covering. You can paste decals on the seam between the yellow and white part to make it less apparent without stripping the entire thing

Ameyam
Old 10-24-2010, 01:10 AM
OK2Fly

Wow, yall are still talking about the yellowing covering? Go fly your Funtanas!
Old 10-25-2010, 12:00 AM
drydock

I have the Funtana 125 w/DLE 30 and really like it. Had to stiffin up the firewall area w/triangle stock wherever it would go but noticed after I balanced my prop (18x8) it didn't shake as much. I just setup flaperons on my Mini Funtana X to give me an idea if I should consider them on the 125. Any advice?
Old 10-25-2010, 08:13 PM
drydock

The new rear carb DLE30 balances out perfect on this airframe (FT 125) nice power but had to add triangle stock anywhere it would go in the nose to stiffen...
Old 10-25-2010, 08:18 PM
JohnB96041

Drydock: I just finished the maiden flight of my 2nd Funtana 125 using a SAP180. Balance was right on the mid mark. Lots of power, went vertical right after takeoff, backed off to half throttle and it just kept climbing. I LOVE my Funtanas.
Old 10-25-2010, 08:18 PM
RichieN

Can someone post dimension (length and diameter) of the wing tube that comes with the model?
I know it is listed as 22mm on Horizon web site but I can't find the length anywere.

Thanks,
Old 10-25-2010, 08:22 PM
JohnB96041

Just measured mine and it is 31 3/8".
Old 10-25-2010, 08:24 PM
RichieN

Thank you,
Old 10-25-2010, 09:00 PM
Slow and Steady

I also have the Syssa SAP 180 30 cc gas and now that it is fully broken in and tuned, it not only has unlimited vertical, but it is a fast vertical climb. Great plane/engine combo with plenty of power that draws alot of compliments at the field.

Anderson, I agree, the yellowing would never stop me from flying this plane. Although, I will probably recover the yellowed portion; the ground appearance doesn't do the plane justice.
Old 10-27-2010, 12:13 AM
darylm44

ORIGINAL: darylm44

ORIGINAL: Mastertech

Finally got a dead calm day to test the changes I made to the 'Tana.

My set up is just like the factory elect setup.

Power110
APC 17x8
HV85
5s5000 x 2

The measurements on the airplane when first flown were 0-0-0

I flew the airplane about a dozen flights adjusting the control throws and expo to my
liking. I also moved the CG to the front of the CG range from middle of the recommended range.

I found the airplane to be a chore to fly and just not fun at all. The control throws were
far to sensitive for my taste. The airplane had a noticeable pull to the gear in the down
lines and up lines and the KE was vicious to the gear. Landings were shall we say
un-nerving having to hold a good bit of down elevator.

Totally unacceptable for precision sport flying IMHO.

I decided to move the CG forward and recheck, things got better but still not fun.
I'd had enough of this airplane and decided to try a few things I thought would help. I
refuse to fly an airplane that doesn't behave and do what I tell it to within reason.
I've flown a lot of sport airplanes over the last 35 years and none of them fly really
well, some have really nasty habits and some come pretty close to being very fun.

Here's what I changed,

1. I blocked the airplane up and stuck my measuring devices on it and ensured where I
started at and it was 0-0-0 measured from the canopy rail.

2. I added wing adjusters to the main wing pins and slotted the rear pins. I adjusted both
wings to .5 positive.

3. I added 1 degree down thrust to the motor.

4. Moved the CG to about 1/4'' in front of the recommended CG range.

I then went today and flew the airplane in dead calm winds.

I can report that these changes have made a world of difference in this airplane.

The pull to the gear is gone in the vertical up and down lines, the KE push to the gear is
far less than it was, on the order of 2/3 less. The landings are now more normal with the
airplane almost landing itself in a slight nose up attitude, no more having to push down
elevator to set it up. The entire airplane now feels more locked in in all flight axis than
it was, before it was always hunting in pitch. The elevator is softer around neutral than
it was which is nice.

Over all I believe these changes have made this a far better sport plane than it was
before.

If your a sport flier with this airplane you might want to try these mods.

If you're a 3D hovering type I doubt you'll like these changes, I really don't know as that
isn't my style of flying.

I'm now pleased with the Tana and shall continue to refine it as time progresses, I just
can't seem to leave anything alone for long.
Are you still flying this plane? I am thinking about making your modifications to see if it improves handling. Have you tried anything else.
Yesterday I finally took a look at the incidence on my funtana. One wing actually had .25* negative incidence and the other was 0*. So I added the wing adjusters and set the wing incidence for both wings at .5* positive incidence. I was able to fly it today and it made a great improvement in how the plane flew. Up until today the plane felt on the verge of being unstable. Today it was rock solid. My RCG 26 engine finally started giving me decent vertical. I have just under a gallon of gas through it and it is gaining power. Overall I am liking this plane much better now.
Old 12-19-2010, 06:59 AM
Brett72
My Feedback: (29)

Would a DLE 20cc work on this plane or is that not enough power? Has anyone done this? Thanks guys. Happy Holidays
Old 12-19-2010, 07:11 AM
JohnB96041

My opinion...the DLE20 would not have the power of the Saito 1.25. However, the SAP 180HP (30cc) is great with throttle management. Interesting about the wing incidence. I just check all four of my Funtana models and found all have wing incidence of zero degrees. Guess I was lucky on these models. Merry Christmas, All.
Old 12-19-2010, 09:09 AM
ameyam

Ok will a 120AX be sufficient? I have one I got box damaged.

Also, do I need to order the SFGs or is it OK to make them myself? In the latter case, are there any plans

Ameyam
Old 12-19-2010, 09:29 AM
JohnB96041

The 120AX is good...Make the SFG's your self.
Old 12-19-2010, 12:57 PM
Slow and Steady

I flew it wit a 120 ax and it was fine, but fuel cost can be expensive. Changed over to the Syssa 180, which is 30 cc gas and it is both cheaper and better performance. 120 ax will work, if you have one; you can always change it out later if it doesn't meet your needs. Either way, it is a great plane and alot of fun.
Old 12-19-2010, 05:35 PM
ahicks

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I flew the Funtana on an RCGF/Aerovate 26 all this past season - until I rekitted it. I always felt it had plenty of power. Certainly enough to pull out of a hover with plenty of authority. The DLE 20 is rated at the same/similar power, and it's 8 oz lighter. I would guess it would work fine! Will it have the same punch/amount of craziness a DLE or SYSSA 30 would have? Heck no, but that does't mean it wouldn't be a blast!

Edit: The 20 should make it reasonably easy to keep the weight down under 10 lbs.....

I keep thinking about getting another Funtana, I loved the plane, it taught me a bunch, but the yellowing thing stops me dead in my tracks every time I consider it.

Old 12-19-2010, 05:45 PM
ghoffman
My Feedback: (3)

I was going to get one, but decided on the 3DHS Velox for my DLE-20. It has almost the same span (68 inch) and will come in at about or a little less than 8 pounds with the DLE-20. I tested another DLE-20 with a Vess 17-6 at 15.2 pounds of thrust so it should have excellent vertical.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.