Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 49 of 56 FirstFirst ... 394748495051 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,225 of 1396

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: New Funtana 125

I dont think that a 95 would do well.I had a 1.25 and it suffered,but when I dropped in the 1.50 4 stroke....man...its hard to put mine down.The weather is just about ready for my second season with my beloved TANA....couple days maybe

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

AngLeo: I dropped a SAP180HP gasser in my Funtana 125 and have been happy ever since. Takes off at half throttle, super vertical pull out. Cheap fuel. Try it.
    John
    AMA 615755

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Downthrust
    I have a 110 in another plane with a Turnigy 100A ESC (3.1 oz). I'm using two 4S Turnigy 2650mAh batteries and getting an easy 6 minutes and can push 8 if I wanted to. The plane comes in at about 8.5 pounds. I think the difference in weight between the Flightmax 4000 and the 2650 is 13.4 oz for the 8S pack. This would bring the weight of the Funtana to just under 9 pounds. Can you tell me what your flight time is like with the 4000's? I was thinking about this plane for my current setup and if I can't get the weight down to under 9 lbs and get at least 6 minutes of flight time, I may have to consider another plane. The only reason I was considering it in the first place was because a Web site that sells the plane reports the empty weight to be 69 ounces (4.3 lbs) and my hardware would bring that up to 8.5 pounds, which is 175 Watts/pound. Sounds unrealistic from what you guys are reporting.
    FYI, looks like if you dont mind using standoff the Hacker A50-12L will fly this plane on a 19x10 with plenty of power onn a 6s setup

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Just trying to be safe with the Funtana 125 and a 30cc gas engine. Should I get rid of the original hinges that came with the plane and put the robarts hinge points at all control surfaces? The original hinges have been in the plane for about a year now. Nothing has broke, but don't want to take any chances.
    John
    AMA 615755

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: JohnB96041

Just trying to be safe with the Funtana 125 and a 30cc gas engine. Should I get rid of the original hinges that came with the plane and put the robarts hinge points at all control surfaces? The original hinges have been in the plane for about a year now. Nothing has broke, but don't want to take any chances.
    I would (did), but I would go with the HD Dubro pinned hinges. I don't seem to have much trouble setting them up, and like all the glue area they offer. That's just me though, my 'druthers. Not going to enter a debate regarding which hinge is better.

My CA hinges failed on the rudder after a couple of months. Should probably replace them all before another failure. Either type mentioned should be a permanent fix.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Is the DLE 20 or the DLE 30 or the 120ax best suited for the Funtana?

Ameyam
    Preflight check is optional , picking up the pieces is consequential

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Any of the mentioned engines will be great for the Funtana 125. However, I am using a SAP180HP, 30cc gas engine from the following web site. Here you can get everything needed, engine, ignition, wiring harness, tachometer, props, spinner,etc.
    http://www.syssaaircraft.com/index.html
    John
    AMA 615755

ORIGINAL: JohnB96041

Any of the mentioned engines will be great for the Funtana 125. However, I am using a SAP180HP, 30cc gas engine from the following web site.

http://www.syssaaircraft.com/index.html
    How do you like yours?

I saw these engines at the Toledo Show the year before and had a chance to talk to the owners. I was quite impressed with the quality of the engine, so at this years show I picked up two of them.

I haven't put them into a plane yet ( these things look like they should be framed and mounted on the wall. ).

My only misgiving is the strange three post mount, thought that makes it so easy to set upthrust.
    There is an art . . . to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I am still in the breakin period with my engine. Got the engine last summer, late. It has about 3 gallons of fuel through it and am still mixing 40:1. Have not touched the High and Low needles yet. They are still at factory settings. Lots of power for a Funtana 125. most flying is at half throttle. I also back off to idle at the top of loops, etc.
    Oklahoma has either been too windy 35+mph or too hot 100+ to fly, so not much flying so far this summer. Waiting for the fall weather to kick in.
    John
    AMA 615755

I fly the Funtana with a Syssa 30 and it has plenty of power - unlimited vertical. I don't do 3D, just flat spins, knife edge etc. Another fellow at our field flies a Funtana and he's heavily into 3d; he flies with a DLE 20. He feels the lower weight of the 20 enhances performance and with his choice of props seams to be able to hover with no problem. The 30 may be more than is needed for this plane. I flew with the 120 AX, when I first got this plane and it sucked fuel. Also required 4 ounces of nose weight. 30 balanced without weight. If you go with the DLE 20 or 120 AX you may want to convert to a pull pull rudder set up. His plane with the DLE 20 is definitely tail heavy, but seems to suite his style.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

How is the Funtana 125 different from the 100? I had a 100 with an OS 1.20 AX a couple of years ago and it balanced perfectly, no need for nose weight.
    I'm only in it for the money...

My 125 required 4 ounces in the nose using a 120 AX. My Syssa 30 gas engine required no nose weight. Seams like pull pull should be used with a glow engine; don't know why they didn't provide for the option. Otherwise a great plane!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I built mine using an RCG 26 from Hobby King ($129) and it flew well but did not have unlimited vertical. I am now replacing that engine with the RCG 30 from Hobby King ($219). It makes 3.9 hp compared to 2.6 hp and weighs 5 oz less. I am also using a smaller fuel tank to keep the plane as light as possible. It is not a simple change as the motor mount holes are about a half a hole wider than the RCG 26 and the throttle servo has to be mounted on the other side of the plane and near the top of the fuse. I am getting ready to balance the plane today and think I have enough room to move the batteries foreword to balance the plane without using any lead. I did use a pull pull system on the rudder when I built this plane. I will let you know how it all works out when I get a chance to fly the plane.

The older Funtana's didn't have air foiled elevator and stab. I don't know if they had a bolt on stab?? Servo weight may have some effect also. I used Futaba 3050 metal gear, which may have scewwed the CG issue. I flew this weekend and again experienced the Syssa 30's unlimited and fast vertical; for the most part, it was the only time I went above 1/2 throttle. The engine torque also was an issue, causing the plane to snap or twist with up elevator and full throttle. Still alot of fun to have that much power with this plane. It will pull you out of any problem, and not an issue with throttle management.

My CG is close to neutral with only slight elevator required when inverted. The landing were consistently without a roll out, instead they are three point and land like a leaf held up by the air. Wind speed was around 10 MPH, which likely effected the landing.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well I got a chance to fly my Funtana 125 between storms today. All I can say is WOW There is no question of unlimited vertical now and the engine is not even broke in. I would definitely recommend the RCG 30 cc as a low cost engine for this plane. When I originally built the Funtana I shortened the motor box by 1 in to fit the RCG 26. If I was starting from scratch I would shorten it by 1.5 in for the RCG 30. I had to shorten the standoffs by 1/2 in. to make it fit in the cowl. Looking forward to some better weather without rain and 8 to 10 mph winds. It was 68* with gusts to 15 at the field today. Sure would be nice if we could share some of that with you guys in the hot country.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Got my Funtana 125 about a month ago to replace a crashed Aeroworks Yak 1.20...I have a Saito 115 that needed a home, going to try this combo. I have a Saito 125 in my GP Skybolt bipe, I can always swap these 2 motors if I feel I need the extra ponies...I did have to put a bunch of lead in the nose. I didn't think about switching to a pull-pull until after everything was all set up with the servose in the tail. I also changed mine to put the tank right against the wing tube. Just need to have Hurricane Irene pass and I can get my maiden done...

R/C Foolish

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Dont feel bad even with an electric setup I had to add some weight. I you want to loose the weight in the tail you are going to either go with really light servos in the tail or make the rudder a pull-pull. I have really light servos in the tail but in order to get the plane to a 6s setup I will probably have to go to the pull-pull also. Ive trimmed every gram of fat off of this I can find and still am at 9.1lbs

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

9.1 lbs is excellent, I am at 10 lbs with a DLE 20 and smoke system, still does every manoevre in the 3D book effortlessly

How much flight time with a 6S?
    A designer knows he has achieved perfection when there is nothing left to take away (Antoine de Saint-Exupery)
    Club Saito member #814, Spitfire bro #230

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

With a 7s I can 8-10 min depending on how im flying it, 6s around 6-7 min is my estimate I just got the fat cut out so Im not sure about the flight times. Im using a Hacker A50-12L and it kicks pretty good on 6 & 7s. Once I have it dialed in I should get close to 8 minutes or so. If I get the carbon fiber LG I will be under 9lbs which would be sweet.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I got carbon gear from HC, they fit perfectly
    A designer knows he has achieved perfection when there is nothing left to take away (Antoine de Saint-Exupery)
    Club Saito member #814, Spitfire bro #230

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Planeclothes

How is the Funtana 125 different from the 100? I had a 100 with an OS 1.20 AX a couple of years ago and it balanced perfectly, no need for nose weight.
    DIFS:
    Removable stabs
    Airfloiled stabs
    better control horns (not the .50 size plastic ones)

SAME:
    Most everything else... Even the gas tank setup...
    Cowl, main wings....look identical to the 100X.

I believe it is a better plane.
    The airfoiled stabs is what is causing the tail weight issues....
    Pull pull, will really help remidy this...

If you can\'\'\'\'t dazzle em with brilliance,baffle em with BS

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have a unused Saito 125, DLE 20, and a OS 1.20AX.....

GP reactor bipe or the FUntana 125....???
    The price went up 50$ on the reactor, but can still get it 100$ less (with discounts) than the funtana....

The reactor will fit in back of car, fully assembled....and a saito 1.25 will have plenty of power....and so will the dle20....
    only issue is, the Great planes Hardware isn't up to H9 funtana's, but yet the covering isn't bugly, either....

The funtana also has a REAL canopy, with easy access to electronics....the reactor doesn't....
    But I will not need to go there much anyway on it...

I wasn't very happy with the combo I had in the 100x (3d) as the servos were not up to the job, and the engine didn't have enough
    grunt down low were it counted.....

I have a 78" Ef extra gas, and others, it is mainly to get use out of the other engines....

Any feedback would be appreciated...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: kochj

I have a unused Saito 125, DLE 20, and a OS 1.20AX.....

GP reactor bipe or the FUntana 125....???

I wasn't very happy with the combo I had in the 100x (3d) as the servos were not up to the job, and the engine didn't have enough
    grunt down low were it counted.....
    Preferably both. Thats what I did, though, right now, I am flying neither. Put the 125 on the Bipe and the DLE on the Funtana. Keep the 120ax for some other airplane

Ameyam
    Preflight check is optional , picking up the pieces is consequential

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have a reactor bipe comming tommorow....
    I may get a funtana in the future....

Page 49 of 56 FirstFirst ... 394748495051 ... LastLast