Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

New Funtana 125

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

New Funtana 125

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2011, 05:27 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: New Funtana 125

Update I have fixed the wing and all the other items that needed fixing. Will test fly on a better day...If we get one here in Michigan. I really found all the crumy built areas of the Funtana 100x. I can see why they discontinued them. One of the poorest built airplanes I have seen. Even at best I feel this plane will not stand-up to snap rolls or any violent maneuvers. Looks like a airplane that is for real gentle flights. In other words...a boring airplane that has to be flown and landed very carefully. Tell you the truth....I do not know why I am fixing it. The Funtana 125 is made by a different company....I bet though it will be discontinued too. Its too much like the 100X. I vow to get away from the cheap made airplanes and get a good built one.

Old 11-12-2011, 08:57 PM
w1nd6urfa
My Feedback: (4)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey Capt'n which are those weak areas?

I fly my 125 real hard, violent snaps to hovers, KE spins etc and its holding up well.

I glassed the firewall and tank areas, the other stress areas like wing tube, tail look solid

Nick
Old 11-13-2011, 05:36 AM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

ORIGINAL: captinjohn

Update I have fixed the wing and all the other items that needed fixing. Will test fly on a better day...If we get one here in Michigan. I really found all the crumy built areas of the Funtana 100x. I can see why they discontinued them. One of the poorest built airplanes I have seen. Even at best I feel this plane will not stand-up to snap rolls or any violent maneuvers. Looks like a airplane that is for real gentle flights. In other words...a boring airplane that has to be flown and landed very carefully. Tell you the truth....I do not know why I am fixing it. The Funtana 125 is made by a different company....I bet though it will be discontinued too. Its too much like the 100X. I vow to get away from the cheap made airplanes and get a good built one. [img][/img] [img][/img]

I don't know a thing about the 100X, but the Funtana did right by me for the hell I put it through. The gear box area is the only thing I beefed up. I've said it before and I'll say it again. If they would scrap the process that causes the yellowing I'd buy another in a heartbeat. There's nothing else in it's price/size/weight range that can compete with it....
Old 11-13-2011, 04:46 PM
captinjohn

ORIGINAL: w1nd6urfa

Hey Capt'n which are those weak areas?

I fly my 125 real hard, violent snaps to hovers, KE spins etc and its holding up well.

I glassed the firewall and tank areas, the other stress areas like wing tube, tail look solid

Nick
IfFuntana 125is holding up good....you must have found the weak areas. At what speed are you doing this hard snap? I bet you back off the throttle in any sort of dive. I called Horizon and they said the 125 is built by a different company. The 100x was not built for Hi speed. Flutter got some of them. Also there may have been poor gluing on some....maybe poor quality control????
Old 11-14-2011, 05:06 AM
ahicks

I'll bet flutter has been the number one killer of Funtana's as well? Those huge surfaces are going to teach anyone flying one about controlling/limiting speed - or plan on paying the consequences. You can blame glue and you can blame hinges, but the bottom line is still flutter. I doubt seriously if you'll keep the plane together with a WOT 30cc gasser using an 8" pitch prop while on the level, let alone a down line.

Point is, I would plan on throttling way back on any downline.
Old 11-14-2011, 04:16 PM
captinjohn

I agree with that 100%. I did get my Funtana100X back together and made 2 test flights today. It flew good with the same trime settings I had to start with. I kinda like this plane...hope it stays together as long as it took me to fix it. Best Regards Capt,n
Old 11-15-2011, 07:48 PM
Slow and Steady

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the 125 with a 30 cc gasser and love it. All servos are Futaba 3050 metal gear and all hinge lines are taped, including the rudder. When I first looked inside the fuse I thought it was a light weight understructured plane, but after a closer look I found it to be strong in all the right places. I have likely over 200 flights with no issues other than the landing gear, which I reinforced. The flat spins, inverted or upright are super flat, blenders are excellent, although it does pull to the gear on knife edge. For me it is a great plane, second only to my 50cc EF Yak.
Old 11-16-2011, 04:14 AM
captinjohn

Thanks...slow and steady. Looks like the 125 that is built by a different company is built stronger. With a DLE 30 on it, and it is srviving it must be built better. I have a DLE30 on a Giles 202...a kinda heavy airplane....but that 30 will take it strait up and out of sight. My favorite prop was a 20x6...pulls like a freight train and landing speeds are slower and more easy on landing gears. Best Regards Capt,n
Old 11-16-2011, 05:57 PM
Slow and Steady

If I were building it again I would try a DLE 20. As I noted previously a fellow at our field flies with the 20 and it can clearly do all 3 d with plenty of power. Don't know what prop he uses, but I would think the choice will make a difference.
Old 11-17-2011, 05:33 AM
ahicks

ORIGINAL: Slow and Steady

If I were building it again I would try a DLE 20. As I noted previously a fellow at our field flies with the 20 and it can clearly do all 3 d with plenty of power. Don't know what prop he uses, but I would think the choice will make a difference.
Me too.
There is such an excess of power with a 30 it's almost a waste. The only time you can use much more than about 25% power is when vertical. Fun at first, but quickly became bored with that. I think if the plane lost 8oz. (with the DLE 20 installed) the wing loading would change noticably in flight. With that, when things started slowing down it might move the wing dropping tendency to a lower speed. THAT might make all the difference in the world for my flying style.

After a mistake installing it in an Aeroworks Yak 90-120, I've chosen a much larger airframe for my DLE 30. Going to about 1250 sq in. wing area. At 78" wing span its almost a 50cc size plane. Hoping to only be about 2lb heavier than a Funtana. This should let the engine run closer to it's power band and still have a very favorable wing loading (kinda like a DLE20 in a Funtana?). We'll see. It'll be on the bench this winter. It's a Katana from SDS hobbies (China) but no longer in production. Similar planes, in this size and weight range, very difficult to find!
Old 11-19-2011, 08:02 AM
captinjohn

ORIGINAL: kochj

Funtana owners...I need a right side wing for a 100X Please help me find one. Thanks Capt,n[img][/img]
I have a pair..(left and right wing)

Mind you, they had some CA added to keep some strength, and one side has some damage. covering is off on that wing... to fix it...
I believe the covering could be heated up and restuck w/o issues... The damage is minor... but it is getting hangar rash in the garage...
I can PM you the wings with detailed picts....

I was about to throw them away...Too much clutter in my garage...
I sent you a PM. Thanks Capt,n
UPDATE...I got the wing and several other things fixed on my Funtana 100X an even got to fly it. It flew good with the same trim I had when it met a pole??? Thanks for the replies Capt,n
Old 11-21-2011, 04:41 PM
captinjohn

UPDATE: This Funtana 100X needs a 20ccGas DLE engine on it. I just do not likeGlow engines anymore. Once you go gas, you will findglow engines are too messy and need too many other items you need to have and load up each time you fly. Gas engines sound better also and have very good power and just sip the fuel.

Thanks Capt,n
Old 11-22-2011, 04:28 AM
gade600sdi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

aHICKS...I know exactly what you mean...DLE 30 is way overpower on a funtana a 20cc is perfect and will be more than anybody needs. I am flying a 78" Hangar 9 Exta 260 that is rated for 45-50cc but I set it up light with pull pull rudder and I am flying a DLE 30 on it and I can hover at 1/2 throttle. It weighs around 13 pounds, 10 ounces. So if you looking for a great airframe that size that Extra is a nice plane for the money. Not the most current, its been out a long time but very solid and fundamentally great plane and value.
Old 11-24-2011, 02:52 PM
captinjohn

I read about the Hanger 9 Extra 260. I agree with you, it sounds like a very good airplane for my DLE 30. I will keep a eye open for one. Thanks, Capt,n
Old 11-25-2011, 08:46 AM
gazzazh

Just finished the build.. The plane was tail heavy.. Had to add 225Gms of weight to get it almost balanced.. will not add any more now. Will maiden with 225Gms nose weight and see.. Hopefully.. No problems..

Cheers
Ps: iam using Hitec 5625 Digital High tourq, all around
OS 120FSII engine..

anyone else with the same setup needed to add weight.. ?

Cheers,
Old 11-25-2011, 05:46 PM
captinjohn

I bet it will fly just fine with the balance you have. Just do not have the throws too wild at first. Even on the low rate if you have dual rates. How do you like the Hitec Digital servos? I just got 2 at a swap meet. They sure seem smooth and quite. On does have a longer travel for some reason. I bet it is the way its programmed. May need to get a device toset the travel. Best Regards Capt.n
Old 11-25-2011, 08:46 PM
gazzazh

I bet it will fly just fine with the balance you have. Just do not have the throws too wild at first. Even on the low rate if you have dual rates. How do you like the Hitec Digital servos? I just got 2 at a swap meet. They sure seem smooth and quite. On does have a longer travel for some reason. I bet it is the way its programmed. May need to get a device to set the travel. Best Regards Capt.n
Hi CaptinJohn,

I set the throws as per the manual.. Its seems that the low rates seem to be already high.. lol.. Hope the low rate in the manual is adequate for maiden.. Dont want it wild and crazy in its first flight.. The Hitec Digital Servos are amazing.. They are smooth, fast and more than enough for this model.. and the Price is Right..... According to Hitec Website these digital servos dont need any devices to set the travel, just use ur computer radio..

Thanks a million and happy landings

Cheers,
Old 11-29-2011, 04:06 AM
mbritt

I started with those all around and it made the tail way to0 heavy. I ended up running the low profile 7775MG in the tail and Rudder. I moved the rudder servo up to the middle of the plane and ran the 5245's in the ailerons. So far this is the best setup I have found for low weight and good balance. I also think you will find the rates way too low as they are listed in the book at leat for high rates. I have around 50+ for my elevator and could use more if i could get it, same goes for the rudder. The ailerons seem to be fine.

This setup will balance, and its running on 6s and just around 9.4 lbs.
ESC -Castle Creations Phoenix Ice 100
Motor Hacker A50-12L V2
Rudder & Aileron Servos HS-7775MG
Elevator Servos HS-5245MG
Aluminum Sx Arm, 1.5" -Hanger 9 (HAN9155)
Batteries - 2x -ZIPPY Flightmax 5000mAh 3S1P 20C
Prop -Xoar 19x8 or 20x10
BEC Castle BEC
Rx - AR7000
Wheels GP Ultralite Wheels 3"
Spinner Extreme Flight - 2.50”
Landing Gear -Graph Tech (http://www.graphtechrcshop.com/produ...3&categoryId=6)
Old 11-29-2011, 05:02 AM
gazzazh

Update I have fixed the wing and all the other items that needed fixing. Will test fly on a better day...If we get one here in Michigan. I really found all the crumy built areas of the Funtana 100x. I can see why they discontinued them. One of the poorest built airplanes I have seen. Even at best I feel this plane will not stand-up to snap rolls or any violent maneuvers. Looks like a airplane that is for real gentle flights. In other words...a boring airplane that has to be flown and landed very carefully. Tell you the truth....I do not know why I am fixing it. The Funtana 125 is made by a different company....I bet though it will be discontinued too. Its too much like the 100X. I vow to get away from the cheap made airplanes and get a good built one. [img][/img] [img][/img]

Check this video out.. The landing gear broke off on impact.. This was the maiden.. so i was taking it very easy... there was cross wind.. so on landing the wind pushed the plane to the side.. when i tried to correct.. this is what happened.....

[link=http://youtu.be/BJRlQmhVm-8]Funtana Maiden and defective landing gear.. [/link]
Old 11-29-2011, 06:31 AM
w1nd6urfa
My Feedback: (4)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Gazzazh

You should've read through this thread before maiden ... I did and so did a glass job inside and underneath the firewall and gear mount area. Real solid now, been flying it hard for a year and its holding up fine

Don't give up on this 'tana, despite its occasional ARF oversight its a great 3D machine

Oh, and buy or build the SFGs, they really transform the KE capabilities from poor (without) to wow!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge96157.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	1692917   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cy77398.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	1692918  
Old 11-29-2011, 07:12 AM
captinjohn

ORIGINAL: gazzazh

Check this video out.. The landing gear broke off on impact.. This was the maiden.. so i was taking it very easy... there was cross wind.. so on landing the wind pushed the plane to the side.. when i tried to correct.. this is what happened.....

[link=http://youtu.be/BJRlQmhVm-8]Funtana Maiden and defective landing gear.. [/link]
Hanger 9 has been good to me maybe they will make it right with you. I have really checked into many of the new ARF airplanes that have problems with the landing geararea. Just about every brand could be built better in the engine to landing gear area. Most can be really made stronger with side braces that tie the engine mount box in with the landing gear platform and extended to the main wing tube area. Just look real close and think about it. We need better built airplanes for the price we pay for them. Capt,n
Old 11-29-2011, 07:35 AM
gazzazh

I have sent Horizon an email and the link to the video.. I am waiting for their reply.. I believe for the price we are all paying they should provide better products.. What is the point of getting an ARF with flaws .. I want an ARF that i can put together and fly... and if i crash then its should a pilot error or an assembly error but not a manufacturing defect..

What do you guys think..

Cheers,
Old 11-29-2011, 07:37 AM
gazzazh

ORIGINAL: w1nd6urfa

Gazzazh

You should've read through this thread before maiden ... I did and so did a glass job inside and underneath the firewall and gear mount area. Real solid now, been flying it hard for a year and its holding up fine

Don't give up on this 'tana, despite its occasional ARF oversight its a great 3D machine

Oh, and buy or build the SFGs, they really transform the KE capabilities from poor (without) to wow!

Good Job.. I think i will do the same.... I also need to get some good aluminum Servo Arams as well as long threaded 4-40 Pushrods.. I am not very happy with the length of the pushrod that came with the kit..

Cheers,
Old 11-29-2011, 01:20 PM
mbritt

Yes the SFGs are a must or this things rocks its ass off.
Old 11-29-2011, 01:21 PM
mbritt

Ya like a glued landing gear and Wings bags like all of the other planes at this price point.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.