Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

*Hangar 9 New Pulse 125*

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

*Hangar 9 New Pulse 125*

Old 08-20-2011, 09:53 AM
Brian Smith
My Feedback: (117)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: *Hangar 9 New Pulse 125*

CAVEAT EMPTOR:::::: I flew my Pulse 4 more flight and I did tip the prop on a bounce and go at least twice. I'm running a 16X8 APC and it was not damaged. SO"" I removed my stock LG and bent it inward enough to give me another inch of prop ground clearence. It is a job getting it even and the wheels lined up properly. Crackled the paint some. But I'm pleased with the results. Also I am trying a 15X8 APC prop and turning 9300 RPMS on my DLE 20. That seems excessive. Any one know if it is? The manual/paper work says 9000. So I'm wondering. YMMV.. Thanks Brian
ORIGINAL: Brian Smith

I flew the Pulse 125 last eve with the DLE 20. I agree with the other posters. What a blast. One of the most fun combos I have ever owned/flown. My CG came out about an inch behind the factory marks, and I decided to try it there and it was perfect. I will never add any nose weight. I dragged it in a couple time and touched the tail wheel first just looking for any kind of a stall and found none. I think the factory CG suggestion is the ''safe'' place to start but not need that far forward. I decided to ''try'' the stock LG and it worked fine. I bought the twist LG as well but it is not needed. You can nose it over if you try, but I had 3 flights and 10 touch and go with not one problem. Maybe the rear ward CG helps in that dept. I have a 10 ounce tank and fly for 15 minutes and have near a 1/2 tank left. To say I'm very pleased would be an accurate statement. Thanks for the mount Jerry, and thank for all the other posters and suggestions in this thread. Gotta quit writing and run back out to the model field to show my new flyer to my buddies. Brian Smith
Old 08-23-2011, 08:14 AM
Brian Smith

My LG block peeled out/off this morning. It has almost no glue on it. I can epoxy it back in with little problem. no other damage at all. Lucky I did not have the wheel pants on as our field is a little rough and hard on WPs. I have had a couple bounce and go's but no hard landing to cause it that I remember. It is about the 12th flight on the model I think. You may want to check/glue yours. Brian

Old 08-23-2011, 09:07 AM
SportsFans

Thanks for the heads up! I had a similar problem with the landing gear block on my 60..popped off like it was a Tupperware top?? Also almost no glue, so I will go over both models again. Thanks again.
Old 08-23-2011, 04:41 PM
gade600sdi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good time to move it forward an inch since it is off!
Old 08-23-2011, 04:50 PM
Brian Smith

Good idea.. But, I fixed it about 1:30 and never thought of it. Brian
ORIGINAL: gade600sdi

Good time to move it forward an inch since it is off!
Old 08-26-2011, 10:39 AM
nefariousrc
My Feedback: (2)

I've been planning a Pulse 125 build with the DLE-20 and had a couple questions:
Hangar-9 suggests a 15x6 prop but DLE suggests 16x8. As Brian Smith confirmed, the 15" prop spins too fast on the DLE but the 16" is more succeptible to blade strikes. Has anybody considered/tried a 15" 3 blade prop? I know you loose a little performance with 3 blade props but that wont affect my plans for this plane.
Old 08-26-2011, 03:55 PM
gade600sdi

I would also suggest you could use a 15-10 prop and not spin too fast. I am using a 15-6 on a 120 glow motor and the 15 prop I never hit the turf with except when the plan tips forward because the gears are too far back, but any size prop would hit due to that.
Old 08-28-2011, 08:19 AM
nefariousrc

I would also suggest you could use a 15-10 prop and not spin too fast. I am using a 15-6 on a 120 glow motor and the 15 prop I never hit the turf with except when the plan tips forward because the gears are too far back, but any size prop would hit due to that.
Great idea... Don't know why I hadn't thought about stepping up the pitch in a 15" prop.

Also, I could use a sanity check; the Pulse 125 is going to by my first plane after I get the thumbs up from my instructor on the clubs high wing trainer. Am I crazy? The driving force for choosing the Pulse 125 is I want a gas plane thats relaxing and relatively floaty. The Pulse 125 was suggested because of it's low wing load (~14.5oz/ft). And I love the sporty look of it.

Old 08-28-2011, 09:19 AM
gade600sdi

It will glide easy and it is a floater. It is very easy to fly. If you have taken off a trainer and landed sucessfully several times, you will be able to fly this plane.
Old 08-28-2011, 07:24 PM
MercerAUST

...but, be aware that this is a big plane with plenty of momentum. If possible, get someone experienced to check it over with you and to maiden it. Get the CoG correct and make sure you have plenty of room for takeoff and landing (I'd suggest at least 100 m for landings initially - the plane can float in the 'ground effect' zone for a long time). You want a nice low idle, but not so low the engine will cut out (although this doesn't matter if it is on a good final approach).

Moving to your first big plane can be difficult to judge the landings. Your eyes tell you that the plane is much closer than it really is, and you tend to come up short or wide of the strip.
Old 08-28-2011, 07:47 PM
nefariousrc

ORIGINAL: MercerAUST

...but, be aware that this is a big plane with plenty of momentum. If possible, get someone experienced to check it over with you and to maiden it. Get the CoG correct and make sure you have plenty of room for takeoff and landing (I'd suggest at least 100 m for landings initially - the plane can float in the 'ground effect' zone for a long time). You want a nice low idle, but not so low the engine will cut out (although this doesn't matter if it is on a good final approach).

Moving to your first big plane can be difficult to judge the landings. Your eyes tell you that the plane is much closer than it really is, and you tend to come up short or wide of the strip.
The size is what really has be second guessing it. But our club has an 80'x600' asphalt runway and the group of guys I fly with all have been flying for decades. And my instructor will be doing a once over to double check my work and maiden it / trim it out. I'm all to familiar with the affects of CoG being wrong. I burried my T-28 UM on it's first flight because it was tail heavy. Wasn't even enough fuse left to glue.

Old 08-29-2011, 01:42 PM
MercerAUST

Sounds like you have a good flying set up, and plenty of support. Enjoy flying the plane- you'll have a ball!
Old 08-29-2011, 01:50 PM
Brian Smith

The Pulse 125 with a DLE 20 is a rocket ship with unlimited vertical when really wound up. But at 1/2 or 1/4 throttle it is a sweet heart. Neat model for sure. I get lots of compliments on how nice it looks. Brian

ORIGINAL: nefariousrc

Great idea... Don't know why I hadn't thought about stepping up the pitch in a 15'' prop.

Also, I could use a sanity check; the Pulse 125 is going to by my first plane after I get the thumbs up from my instructor on the clubs high wing trainer. Am I crazy? The driving force for choosing the Pulse 125 is I want a gas plane thats relaxing and relatively floaty. The Pulse 125 was suggested because of it's low wing load (~14.5oz/ft). And I love the sporty look of it.

Old 09-15-2011, 06:59 AM
grosbeak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I too am looking at the Pulse 125 / DLE 20 combo as my second plane. It's nice to see so many positive comments on here about the combination. I haven't read any recent reports on fluttering tail feathers, either.
Old 09-15-2011, 07:26 AM
KJayV1611

I have the pulse 125xt, I am setting it up to test two weed-wacker conversions both of which are still "under construction" Changed the hinges on the rudder to great planes plastic hinges not because I think they are better but because I screwed up by putting CA on the stock hinges before sliding them into the slot on the vertical stabilizer . Have not flown as yet. I have a OS .75 for sale here that i've never run i think it may be too small for this aircraft. so i'll wait till i'm done my conversions

- Jay -
Old 09-15-2011, 07:37 AM
JoeMamma

ORIGINAL: grosbeak

I too am looking at the Pulse 125 / DLE 20 combo as my second plane. It's nice to see so many positive comments on here about the combination. I haven't read any recent reports on fluttering tail feathers, either.
Hi,

Fluttering tail feathers ?? “No news†is not necessarily “good newsâ€.[]

Just for added insurance, I added flying wires to the tail feathers.

I also used a separate control arm along with separate 4-40 control rods on each elevator section. The control rods were then “Y’d “ together inside the fuse using a common servo.

Been flying the dog snot out of mine for about 3 months..........so far so good !! What a nice flyer !!

Joe M.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq45769.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	1662612  
Old 09-15-2011, 08:28 AM
bikerbc

I have been flying my Pulse for the summer now with no mods to the tail at all ..I havent had any problems with it at all...I do pull the power back in dives ect. and try to watch my speed a bit..I have an OS 1.20 ax for power .I have been thinking about adding flying wires to the tail just for pease of mind because I do worry about the tail feathers a bit..What a great flying plane though.I moved the landing gear forward a bit because I was having nose over problems on our bumpy field and now that plane makes me look good..If I get another one , and I will if I wreck this one , I will try to put the DLE 20 on it..I have one on my Space walker and I really like it..It is so cheap to run and has more power than the 1.20...I just find the throtle hook up a little hard because of the rear mounted carb...There must be an easy way around that. I just havent found it yet.. With my Space Walker I had lots of room to move the tank around to give me room for the throtle cable. The Pulse won't have that room...If any body has a pic of how to do that pls post...Thanks...Ultra Sport Brother#100
Old 09-15-2011, 09:18 AM
grosbeak

ORIGINAL: JoeMamma
Hi,

Fluttering tail feathers ?? “No news” is not necessarily “good news”.[]

Just for added insurance, I added flying wires to the tail feathers.
I may do that. My LHS has a Sullivan set for around $22.

I also used a separate control arm along with separate 4-40 control rods on each elevator section. The control rods were then “Y’d “ together inside the fuse using a common servo.
Would you happen to know of instructions on how to do that?

Been flying the dog snot out of mine for about 3 months..........so far so good !! What a nice flyer !!
Does the dog snot come with the kit or is that an optional purchase?

Old 09-15-2011, 09:47 AM
nefariousrc

its detailed earlier in this thread. let me see if i can find the post

edit: here's a linkto a couple pics of the modification
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_89...tm.htm#9892178

Old 09-15-2011, 10:02 AM
grosbeak

ORIGINAL: carlb1120
Flying wires to strengthen the horizontal & vertical stabilizer are a great idea! I have been thinking about doing the same. Can you tell me about the hardware you used, any special issues you encountered, and where you purchased the parts.
Carl, Sullivan makes a set - model number S546. There's another thread on flying wires here.

Old 09-15-2011, 10:05 AM
grosbeak

Thanks, Isaw those. Ishould have been more specific - how are the rods joined at the elevator servo?

Edit: Something like this?

Join pushrods at servo

Old 09-15-2011, 10:17 AM
nefariousrc

ORIGINAL: grosbeak

Thanks, Isaw those. Ishould have been more specific - how are the rods joined at the elevator servo?

All you needed to do is go to the next page and you would have seen this:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_89...tm.htm#9904280

Old 09-15-2011, 10:19 AM
grosbeak

Thanks.
Old 09-15-2011, 11:29 AM
sasec

new or 'original' horizontal stab... both fail w/out making the dual pushrod modification... and in grass, replace the gear to correct nose-over's. That said, great flying ARF-Kit.
Old 09-15-2011, 12:01 PM
Brian Smith

I have ripped my DLE 20 powered Pulse 125 all over the sky and inside out for a gal and a half of gas. I was a little worried about the no tail wires and flutter but no more. YMMV. Loads of fun. Brian

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.