ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

*Hangar 9 New Pulse 125*

Old 09-18-2011, 07:54 AM
nefariousrc

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: *Hangar 9 New Pulse 125*

Here's a pic of the DLE installed on my almost complete Pulse. It looks as though very little cowl hacking will be required.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67454.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	1663789  
Old 09-19-2011, 03:18 PM
nefariousrc

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Okay guys I'm in need of some guidance from those that have installed a DLE in the Pulse.

I'm having trouble getting a bind free throttle linkage setup. The problem is because the throttle arm is so close to the firewall at full throttle. I'm using Gold-N-Rod with a ball link but I've also tried the links that come with the gold-n-rod. The problem is because the threaded rod ends up in the firewall making it really stiff and binds. I've looked through the pics in this thread and elsewhere and the only clear pick I've found is of somebody who used a bell crank setup on the front of the motor mount.

Any other ideas of pics of setups that work?
Old 09-19-2011, 07:02 PM
Bladejunkie

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey nefariousrc,just drill the hole where the threaded end comes through the firewall big enough to clear it,thats what I did so far no problems.

Later Jim.
Old 09-30-2011, 09:29 AM
grosbeak

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I picked my Pulse 125 up last Sunday.

I verified that it has the larger wire and taped elevators. I'll still be doing the dual pushrod mod.

Old 09-30-2011, 04:53 PM
SportsFans

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Man grosbeak that looks great! Make me want to go out an buy another kit, and I just just about finished my kit. Here's some quick pix of my dual pushrod mods on my 60 and 125. Here is what I think is the best power for this model, more hp then the DLE 20 and much lighter concidering the added electronics of the DLE 20. Also see here that I'm still running rich so even more power to be had when properly broken in and leaned out. Just getting the engine ready for the 125 maiden flight

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9V8XOCwxgbI[/youtube]
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Ig11778.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	1668306   Click image for larger version

Name:	Aw70485.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	114.4 KB
ID:	1668307  
Old 09-30-2011, 06:13 PM
grosbeak

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Sportsfans, thanks for the tip but Iam going with gas this time around. Cleaner and more economical.

I really liked the way you joined the pushrods aft of the servo in the fuselage. How's that working for you?
Old 09-30-2011, 06:57 PM
SportsFans

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: grosbeak

Sportsfans, thanks for the tip but I am going with gas this time around. Cleaner and more economical.

I really liked the way you joined the pushrods aft of the servo in the fuselage. How's that working for you?
Thanks grobeak, Ya I here you on the cleaner and economical. I'm just a power and performance freak [sm=bananahead.gif] . I haven't flown the 125 yet, but both models tails are really firmed up alot, there is no play between the elevator halves which will eventually appear without this mod. Only flown the 60 with this mod, and I feel much more confident in a much more robust flight. It works so well you wonder why Hangar 9 didn't do this, I guess we know why...cheap ARZZ's
Old 10-01-2011, 11:17 AM
grosbeak

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Is there a way to remove these tubes without destroying the bulkheads?

Cheers!
Old 10-01-2011, 11:38 AM
SportsFans

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yours look to be epoxy'd in mine were glued in with something that looked like canopy glue, but at any rate I cut the tubes in sections and slowly twisted them out without any real damage. It should be the same with epoxy. As you can see with mine I did use epoxy to glue in the new runs.
Old 10-01-2011, 03:54 PM
Brian Smith

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Any one think about the Pulse 125 on floats. What is the formula for size and weight? I have never flown off water, but our club has a couple float fly-in's a year and I might like to try the Pulse 125 in these events. Thanks Brian
Old 10-01-2011, 06:32 PM
grosbeak

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: SportsFans

Yours look to be epoxy'd in mine were glued in with something that looked like canopy glue, but at any rate I cut the tubes in sections and slowly twisted them out without any real damage. It should be the same with epoxy. As you can see with mine I did use epoxy to glue in the new runs.
That's what I ended up doing - a little careful twisting and pulling they came out. I used a rotary tool with a flexible cable to enlarge the holes I'm going to use. I'm not sure what material the bulkheads are made of - looks like some kind of ply. I'll pick some up at my LHS - I plan to make two tube supports and attach them to the middle bulkheads. I'd like to join the elevator pushrods in between bulkheads like you did.

Old 10-01-2011, 07:27 PM
SportsFans

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yup sounds good, I used the 4-40 rods with their supporting guide tubes. That's what everyone else has been using. Sounds like your going to do a nice neat job, throw up some pix when you get done.
Old 10-02-2011, 07:58 AM
grosbeak

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I'll refer to the bulkheads starting aft of the servo tray. This pictures looks aft.

Two holes will be used in the first bulkhead. The elevator servo will go in the tray on the left, the rudder servo on the right. This picture looks aft.

One hole in the second bulkhead will be used for the rudder tube. A support will be added with a hole in the centre for a single elevator tube. This picture looks forward.

The second elevator pushrod will attach to the first between the second and third bulkheads. The third bulkhead currently has no tube supports - they will be added for the rudder and both elevator tubes.

A hole was added for the rudder in the fourth bulkhead (two, actually, but the first caused to much binding of the rudder pushrod). Two elevator holes were already in the bulkhead so they only had to be enlarged. This picture looks forward.

The original RH elevator tube exit will be reused. The LH elevator exit will be created in the same spot on the other side.

The original rudder tube exit will be covered over and a new exit added a little further forward.

Old 10-02-2011, 08:44 AM
SportsFans

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Looks great grosbeak. There is a long span between the 2nd bulkhead and the 4th BH where there is no support so I added a brace to support all three rods at BH 3 nice and neat. I figured since one rod was relying on the other for it's movement best be support there also. The Pulse 60 comes stock supported at all 4 bulkheads, a smaller model...?? Then finally I spun the elevator servo 180 to give room for throw since dealing with a larger diameter 4-40 rod, less give in tight places. Metal clevis soldered on 4-40 at servo horn (getting pretty good at this). Let me add that this mod is much easier to do on 125 then the 60, much more room!

Steve
Old 10-02-2011, 05:52 PM
SportsFans

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: Brian Smith

Any one think about the Pulse 125 on floats. What is the formula for size and weight? I have never flown off water, but our club has a couple float fly-in's a year and I might like to try the Pulse 125 in these events. Thanks Brian
Hey Brian, you might of seen the pix and post in the Pulse XT 60 thread about the float job one member did to his 60. If not you might want to check it out, I think it is the last couple of post in that thread.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_70...page_34/tm.htm

Steve
Old 10-03-2011, 02:49 AM
grosbeak

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The tubes are all in and the tail is on. Pics to follow.

There's a problem, though. Iglued the rudder onto the fin (3 CA hinges and the epoxied rudder steering arm), ensuring that the vertical alignment was good. Problem is, Iforgot to check the horizontal alignment - the gap at the top where the rudder and fin slope up and forward is about 1/4"... and the stripes don't line up. Rookie mistake - these are the first CA hinges I've done.

I'm torn between leaving it as is and cutting the CA hinges to start over. I figure that with the hinges cut the rudder post will likely twist loose. Thoughts?

Please forgive the crappy cellphone picture:

Old 10-03-2011, 04:57 AM
Brian Smith

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thank you SF.. Very helpful!! Brian

Quote:
ORIGINAL: SportsFans

Quote:

Hey Brian, you might of seen the pix and post in the Pulse XT 60 thread about the float job one member did to his 60. If not you might want to check it out, I think it is the last couple of post in that thread.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_70...page_34/tm.htm

Steve
Old 10-03-2011, 03:36 PM
SportsFans

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey Brian glad to help! grosbeak if there is no binding and it operates freely, and it's glued in good I'd run it like it is, and reorder the vertical and stab set only $40 bucks, but many will say cut and reglue. In my fix it's only a $40 dollar mistake. If you cut and glue and if it should come off in flight 50/50 chance you can land it / .

Steve
Old 10-06-2011, 12:46 PM
brosenguy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:

We just flew the Pulse 125 on floats this past weekend. It few very well. I will get you the particulars.

http://vimeo.com/30147391

Burt
Old 10-06-2011, 02:09 PM
Brian Smith

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

[That was neat. And informative as well. Thanks. I would like to know what floats /from who, he was using. Brian

quote]ORIGINAL: brosenguy

Quote:

We just flew the Pulse 125 on floats this past weekend. It few very well. I will get you the particulars.

Burt
[/quote]
Old 10-06-2011, 07:12 PM
SportsFans

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I'm a Nitro guy, but that's pretty sweet Brosenguy. Nice video also
Old 10-07-2011, 04:14 AM
ahicks

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:

[That was neat. And informative as well. Thanks. I would like to know what floats /from who, he was using. Brian

quote]ORIGINAL: brosenguy

Quote:

Burt
[/quote]

Might be a little easier to land if the rear float mount(s) were shimmed a little? I would try it anyway....
Old 10-07-2011, 08:06 PM
brosenguy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
Might be a little easier to land if the rear float mount(s) were shimmed a little? I would try it anyway....
Yes, Lou (the owner of the Pulse) is planning on shimming the rear a little.

-Burt
Old 10-12-2011, 03:07 AM
grosbeak

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

My go-panel (ignition switch / receiver switch / charge ports / fuel dot) arrived from Valley View RC...

Old 10-18-2011, 01:13 PM
nefariousrc

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Figured I'd add a few pics of the DLE20 installed on my Pulse for anybody who's interested in going this route.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Wu59519.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	1676163   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av69330.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	1676164   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jo31249.jpg
Views:	27