Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

KMP SBD Dauntless Build

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

KMP SBD Dauntless Build

Old 01-10-2010, 04:22 PM
efurche

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: KMP SBD Dauntless Build

BRYAN, I SENT YOU AN EMAIL. I STILL NEED AN ANSWER FROM SOMEONE ABOUT TRIMMING THE WHEEL WELL COVERS.

HAVE YOU ATTTEMPTED IT YET? I EMAILED TROY BUILT AND WAITING FOR AN ANSWER. I WILL POST IT WHEN I GET ONE.

ED
Old 01-10-2010, 05:01 PM
efurche

I am trimming the wheel well covers,and there are very brittle... Could I heat them in an oven just enought to soften them?

Did you have this problem? Ready to mount them ,,, sure would like a repy asap.

Thanks, Ed
Old 01-10-2010, 05:05 PM
Bryan McLarty

Hi, Ed!

Nice to talk to you this afternoon. These are just an example of what I trimmed the plastic parts with. Like I said, these go in my Dental lab handpiece and aren't the same diameter shaft as a Dremel. But, I think they make things like this for the Dremel.

Anyway, they make a mess, but trim the plastic parts nicely without breaking them.

Keep in touch!

Bryan

P.S. I'd recommend keeping the plastic parts away from the heat! They would probably deform out of control if you tried.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv65289.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	274.1 KB
ID:	1353518  
Old 01-11-2010, 05:59 PM
BsSmith

Well, my tailwheel wire broke when I was installing the tailwheel machanism. I barely put any force on the wire, so for those that have tese I would recommend looking these over pretty thouroughly before flight so they don't break on take off or landing. I may take this as an oppritunity to make a scale fairing for the talilwheel though, because the original wire was the wrong shape to put one on it.
Old 01-31-2010, 03:28 PM
purepetrol

Has anyone tried to use all three flaps for landing on one channel and the dive flaps on another? I'll run two extra servos for the top flaps(dive brakes). It just seems a shame not to see all the red for the full length coming in for a landing! Also you would think it would give you more control? any thoughts on this?
Old 01-31-2010, 06:44 PM
whatiwork4
My Feedback: (51)

the dive brakes were used to allow the plane to enter an almost vertical dive without increasing airspeed to the point of structural failure in the pull out,they also acted as spoilers by reducing lift.they are not deployed on landing just the lower flaps are used.
Old 01-31-2010, 10:12 PM
Bryan McLarty

I am setting mine up to have two servos in the flap/brake servo bay. I thought about putting two mini servos in there, but was able to rig two standard sized servos in the bay. I had to do some creative mounting but got it worked out. I'm planning to have to use a Matchbox to coordinate the three flap servos.

The center flap will probably be plenty for a functional flap, but I agree, would be better to see the true scale flap arrangement.
Old 01-31-2010, 10:14 PM
Bryan McLarty

Please share any pics on how to make a tail-wheel fairing if you get to that stage. I'd be interested in seeing what you come up with.

Thanks!
Old 01-31-2010, 10:16 PM
Bryan McLarty

Anyone installing a functional bomb drop? What are you using?
Old 02-01-2010, 06:40 AM
Jimmy Bananas
My Feedback: (13)

I used a Vortec bomb release...they don't make them anymore,so try 'Hobby People'...they have one that is very close to 'Vortec'...My trapaze is stationary....
Old 04-11-2010, 04:42 PM
bnicolet

where did you get all the cockpit pieces? and did you build from scratch or a kit, if kit where did you get it.l
brent
Old 04-11-2010, 05:44 PM
Bryan McLarty

Brent:

Check with Tomas at VQWarbirds.com
He is offering a very nice cockpit kit by Ty Brown of Ty's Planes.

There is a very complete video of its construction and installation available for review on You Tube.

I have one, I just haven't got to it yet.

Bryan
Old 12-06-2011, 06:18 PM
BsSmith

Hmmm...

It's been well over a year since my last post on this thread. The Dauntless is still in the same condition that it was when I last posted, exept for all of the dust that has collected on it from the time. I've had this plane for over two years, and it's about as close to flying as it was when I got it. The main reason why I haven't been building it is because I don't want to mess it up, but if I don't build it, it will just be useless, expensive pieces sitting in my basement for the rest of my life.

So, with that, this thread has new life. I leave for college in about 9 months, so it will either fly in that time or never fly at all.

Brian
Old 12-07-2011, 03:00 AM
bladebender
My Feedback: (5)

put some pictures on here might just dust mine off would like to put a OS 33 in her