Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

CG Ultimate Biplane ARF 60.5"

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

CG Ultimate Biplane ARF 60.5"

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 09:34 PM
nitro wing
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CG Ultimate Biplane ARF 60.5"

I just cant seem to find any lengthy post or threads on this thing. Is it a lemon??
Got a YS 140 that would seem to fit this airframe well. I'd like to read a bit and see some vids before commiting to purchase.
Thanks
Old 09-27-2009, 08:07 AM
Bdegan

Default RE: CG Ultimate Biplane ARF 60.5

I had the Dave Patrick Ultimate. It was the exact same specs this new CG one.
I don't think there would be much difference between the two.
This new CG one also has a more simplified way of attaching the wing cabanes. All in all it was a nice size and a nice flyer.
I flew mine with a Saito 150 and then an OS160fx.
The Saito flew it well, but the OS160fx pulled it like a beast. The YS140 you have makes a lot of power and should do even better.
Old 09-27-2009, 09:30 AM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

I don't know why they are not more popular. Could just be because it's a bipe. The 54" CG bipe is one of the best sport planes of all time. If the 60" is anything like it, you will have a winner on your hands.

David
Old 09-27-2009, 05:28 PM
ram3500-RCU
My Feedback: (221)

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I think it is as much the price as anything. They are $350 and for less than that, I recently got a 50CC Yak that flies like a dream. People won't care that with the CG Ultimate you get Ultracoat, top quality 'usable' hardware, an outstanding informative manual, a proven design with excellent strength and durability, and a plane that flies like an Ultimate should. They will just look at the price and pass it by. Too bad.

I love bipes and my Ultimate was an excellent flier. I had it for parts of four seasons. Started out with a Saito 120, next season it had a Saito 150, finally I installed a Saito 180, and it was awesome. Knife edge loops were very cool. I sold it to my brother (his first bipe much less powered with that kind of horsepower) and he lost it to a crash that was pilot induced. The plane is a joy on the ground, in the air, and while landing. I can't say enough about how good it is. This larger one I would expect nothing less from.

My brother is looking for another CG Ultimate to put the equipment in. It all survived less two servos (the gears anyway). Guess this new one will be a consideration.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	If10764.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	206.0 KB
ID:	1283599   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up48617.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	227.6 KB
ID:	1283600   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr42307.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	203.1 KB
ID:	1283601  
Old 09-27-2009, 05:48 PM
nitro wing

Your pics are of the smaller 54" no?
I am looking at this version..
http://www.carlgoldbergproducts.com/.../gbga1047.html
Old 09-27-2009, 06:38 PM
ram3500-RCU

ORIGINAL: nitro wing

Your pics are of the smaller 54'' no?
I am looking at this version..
http://www.carlgoldbergproducts.com/.../gbga1047.html
Yes, I had the smaller, now discontinued version. I can't imagine the slightly larger version being any less an airplane. I have seen the larger plane but no one in the area has one that I know of. Again, IMO, the CG price tag is the biggest issue I see. Price seems to be what people shop more now than ever, and the lower quality is just dealt with by the builder, or not, and the plane doesn't last. The CG models I have had are great and worth paying a premium for if it is in your hobby budget, IMO.
Old 09-27-2009, 10:11 PM
nitro wing

I agree, on price, its close to 400 in Canada, but if it needs no upgrades, its fine.
I imagine the build and kit is quality, and its a real nice mid size bipe that likely flies top notch. I'd still like to see more reports, nothing on U tube even???
Old 09-28-2009, 08:36 AM
husker

It is a top quality arf and very close to the Dave Patrick model. Going to install a Y-S 110 and see how it flys.

Old 09-28-2009, 03:59 PM
gs.broten

I've long bemoaned fixation with price and the resulting lack of "quality" products. I guess I should quit complaining and make by money speak ... and by a GC Ultimate.
Unfortunately it is hard to justify an ARF as a fall purchase here in Canada, as I have all winter to build. Too bad the CG kit was the same 60.5" size!

PS
With servos for each aileron I was thinking one could program flaps and maybe even the crow. Any thoughts?
Old 09-29-2009, 12:28 AM
ram3500-RCU

ORIGINAL: gs.broten

I've long bemoaned fixation with price and the resulting lack of ''quality'' products. I guess I should quit complaining and make by money speak ... and by a GC Ultimate.
Unfortunately it is hard to justify an ARF as a fall purchase here in Canada, as I have all winter to build. Too bad the CG kit was the same 60.5'' size!

PS
With servos for each aileron I was thinking one could program flaps and maybe even the crow. Any thoughts?
Bipes are 'draggy' by nature and have no problem slowing down. Also, these bipes have light wing loading as well. I have never thought I needed or wanted flaps on any of mine (although one could play around with them). Not on any of my light loading aerobatic birds, for that matter. Spoilers on a few, but never flaps. All my war birds have them and I use them even on take off on some of them.
Old 09-29-2009, 09:45 AM
gs.broten

ram3500-RCU , I agree with your observations about biplanes as I fly the House of Balsa Phaeton II. My Ultra Stik has flaps, which are unnecessary as it lands easily without them, but the are cool to use.
Some like to fly fast, I enjoy the slow, slow flyby! With a moderate wind it will land on a dime. If I had an Ultimate "playing" with flaps simply to see how slow it will fly would be an interesting experiment.
Old 09-29-2009, 10:46 PM
nitro wing

So far it looks as though I have buy/assemble one and then see how it fits my taste...
I just cant believe the lack of info on the web..??
Old 09-30-2009, 08:13 AM
Bdegan

The Carl Goldberg Ultimate 60.5 inch has hovered under the radar for the most part since it was released last fall.

I am on my 3rd Ultimate. First was the original CG Ultimate 54" which I built from a kit.
Then I had the dave Patrick 60.5"
Now I have the new Aeroworks Ultimate 20-300 68"

I skipped over the Great Planes Ultimate of 64". The Great Planes one is probably why not a lot of people are doing the CG one.
The GP one is larger, can handle a 50cc gasser, and by all the reviews is a fabulous plane.
That and the price difference to do the GP one with a gasser is no more expensive than the samller CG one with a Nitro motor.

But you have the YS engine already. So for you it would be more economical. Like I said, my Dave Patrick Ultimate flew great, I am quite sure the CG Ultimate will be just as good if not a bit better.
Remember, Dave Patrick designed all the CG Ultimates before his own. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if this new CG one isn't his design as well. Or at least borrowed from his design
Old 09-30-2009, 11:00 PM
nitro wing

Interesting post.
Yes the GP is not much more $ but the 140YS would likely be just marginal on Hot performance.
I did buy another plane for the YS140, but this CG Ultimate is still on my to try list.
Thanks everyone.
Old 10-14-2009, 11:59 AM
gs.broten

For any Canadians reading this thread, Great Hobbies has adjusted their prices to reflect the rising Canadian dollar, hence this particular plane just got $20.00 cheaper.
I couldn't resist, so I broke down an ordered one while the prices are good and stock is available. Maybe we will have a warm winter and I will have an opportunity to try it.
Old 10-14-2009, 03:07 PM
ram3500-RCU

For any Canadians reading this thread, Great Hobbies has adjusted their prices to reflect the rising Canadian dollar, hence this particular plane just got $20.00 cheaper.
I couldn't resist, so I broke down an ordered one while the prices are good and stock is available. Maybe we will have a warm winter and I will have an opportunity to try it.
Please post your assessment of it when you can. My brother is also considering it for a Saito 180 he already has.
Old 10-14-2009, 11:21 PM
nitro wing

370 Eh?
Dang, just may need to sneek one in the basement
Old 10-15-2009, 03:16 PM
gs.broten

The last time the Canadian $ rose significantly against the US $, I only partially took advantage of the savings. I only bought one plane
and I kicked myself for not getting at least one more. This time around I don't want to suffer from the same regrets[]
Old 10-20-2009, 01:05 AM
hbat622
My Feedback: (8)

I have the 60.5" CG Ultimate and on the 6th flight I had a prop strike and the back end broke off. Ive never seen anything like it. I also have the CG 54" Ultimate which is great and the Great Planes Ultimate 65". Can anyone help with finding a new fuselage for my 60.5", Tower does not carry them and will not honor any waranty. If I can rebuild it, i'll definately re-enforce the runners, as they are very light ply that's just held together by 1" strips of Ply.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 10-20-2009, 02:53 AM
JP8650
My Feedback: (-1)

Im waiting on my 60.5 ulty to get here..... and once it does I will be striping it down to nothing and make way for a nice lil Gasser what can I say I like things over powered [&o]

Mike if you dont find anything let me know and I can fix your fuse for you. I been building and flying Ultimates for the last 19 years.
Old 10-20-2009, 09:39 AM
hbat622

I currently have a YS 1.20 on mine which flew it with authority but I didn't get a chance to try to hover and see how it will pull out. After I attempt to rebuild it, I was planning on putting a 26 cc SPE or something to that effect. I like gas and glow fuel expensive. I also had to load up the motor mount with lead weights with YS 1.20 since it was so light. The plane flew great but I just couldn't believe that it came apart like it did. Even the guuys at the field were in aww. I had several guys watching me fly and they couldn't believe that something so minor would crack the fuse. When you get yours in, I'd recomend stengthening it, you'll see what I'm talking about when it come in. I have the smaller 54" CG BlueHawk Ultimate and it is built better.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 10-20-2009, 06:13 PM
Mr67Stang

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A lot of these new ARF's are built so light that they really have to be babied on landing. Some of them I'm afraid to do a snap roll with. Anyway I just picked up a second hand CG Ultimate 60.5 on Monday and have just finished setting it up with my equipment. I put an Evolution 35GT on it so I will be near the 14 lb mark as oposed to 13 lb but I think the power will be able to overcome the weight. I hope to maiden next week if weather is permitting. The worst part of installing the 35GT was that the carb clearence requires a cetain amount of cowl butchuring.
Old 10-20-2009, 06:22 PM
hbat622

Let me know how it turns out, that 35 is going to move that plane like a rocket. Mine was moving pretty good with the 1.2 YS
Old 10-20-2009, 06:30 PM
Mr67Stang

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: hbat622

Let me know how it turns out, that 35 is going to move that plane like a rocket. Mine was moving pretty good with the 1.2 YS
Ultimates a good at flying fast, at least the last one I had was, but they do well flying slow (reletively) as well. My only concern is the extra weight I have with that engine and the subsequent inertia it will carry through manouvers. I was at least able to ballance it without adding any more weight. I just put the batteries in front of the cockpit and it was good to go. I cant wait to fly it. There is nothing like spins and tumbles from an Ultimate
Old 10-20-2009, 07:40 PM
JP8650
My Feedback: (-1)

ORIGINAL: Mr67Stang

A lot of these new ARF's are built so light that they really have to be babied on landing. Some of them I'm afraid to do a snap roll with.

Alot of the reason they are built that way is because 90% of the fixed wing flyers cry about weight and how light they need their planes because their scared their wing loading will be out of their own spec they have set in their head.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.