Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Larger Revolver

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Larger Revolver

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 03:20 PM
vnvringo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Larger Revolver

Just built my first Revolver 70, placed a OS 120 FS surpass on her. Now the fun part , the CG. I have to just about sit on her tail to get it to 5 1/2 "
has anyone else built one with an os120fs and how did you get the CG right. i am considuring moving the elevator servo's to the rear. I have already moved the battery to behind the servo tray. Thanks in advance 
Old 11-21-2011, 03:50 PM
microdon2
My Feedback: (47)

vnvringo - I am planning on swapping out a YS 140 currently in my Rev 70 for an OS 120 4s (the YS is WAY overpowered and I can utilize it better elsewhere). Will let you know how my 120 4s install goes. I'm thinking of using an APC 16x7 prop (for starters - will see if that hits the sweet spot or not). Do you know what prop you're going to use?
Old 11-21-2011, 04:03 PM
Sbach342Guy

You had a 140 on this thing? I'll never really understand the whole overpowering thing I guess. Santa is coming early this year. I ordered a new plane to replace the EF Extra 300 I totaled at the beginning of the season. A Pilot RC Sbach 342 25% (30cc) should be at my house in a few days. I"m a sucker for blue & white planes like the Revolver but I just couldn't do it on the Sbach. They have a orange\purple scheme that looks like the visibility will be better than the blue\white scheme. I love the looks of the R70 on the ground and in the sky on a sunny day. But wow, when it is cloudy it gets hard to see real fast. I have a little 41" Edge 540 from 3DHS that is pretty much all orange. I could almost fly that thing at night it is so bright!

Speaking of bright, who all has tried night flying with micro LED's on their plane?
Old 11-21-2011, 04:06 PM
vnvringo

I am going to start with 14x11 than try 15x10 and i do have 1 16x6 as well   I used the pumped version 120 III   it is heavy at 35oz   thought th CG was ok but after adding thorttle servo it feel off the chart. Dont get it but I must have screwed up when I checked the cg the first time.
Old 11-21-2011, 04:31 PM
flyboy0608

vnvringo,,,,,

Ido not have the engine you installed on your revolver but when I unstalled the OS 95AX 2S on mine it was very nose heavy and I also had to move the battery to behind the servo tray. But she was still nose heavy. So I added some led right behind the battery which is already behind the servo tray. It is a little trick getting in there but with some patience and some long tip plyers I mananged to CA it in there with a plywood tray to hold the led in place with glue. I first turned the revolver around and balanced her while placing the led on her belly while she was backwards. When I got the right CG, then i turned her right side up and inserted the tray and led eight about where I placed the led on the outside. As I said, its a little trick getting in there but I think its bertter then having to move your servos back. Godd luck !!
Old 11-21-2011, 04:58 PM
microdon2

DonE - yeah, I tend to overpower my planes, or, at least, compared to the recommended power. Love having that extra power when I want it, though the YS 140 WAS a bit MUCH.

I think the DLE 20 is the perfect engine for the Rev 70, and I've read that's got more power than an OS 120 4s.

Funny, I've never had to add weight to the Rev 70, even with the big honkin engines I've bolted on. Though, if needed, I have mounted the battery back, behind the servo, on a little platform I build back there.
Old 11-21-2011, 05:44 PM
tande
My Feedback: (48)

A Pilot RC Sbach 342 25% (30cc) should be at my house in a few days.
I have the 36% version of this same plane (orange/purple/white)....Keep us posted! ...
Old 11-21-2011, 08:36 PM
Sbach342Guy

ORIGINAL: tande

I have the 36% version of this same plane (orange/purple/white)....Keep us posted! ...
What are your thoughts on the build quality of this plane? The Pilot RC arfs seem to offer alot that the more expensive Extreme Flight kits didn't. The carbon spinner, carbon landing gear, cowl ring, and aluminum hub wheels were all huge selling points. I had the EF Extra 300 78" ARF and it was almost $100 more delivered. Do you have any pics or videos of your Sbach?
Old 11-21-2011, 09:25 PM
wjcalhoun

vnvringo

I had an OS AX 1.20, and my R70, version 1, was quite nose heavy. I think there is every reason to move the elevator servo(s) back - you are using dual servos, right? - for shorter links and tighter control.

Interestingly (at least for me), my R70, version 2 with DLE20 was slightly tail heavy. I have the GC now at 5.75", and it is just about perfect for me. I might move it aft 1/8" or so, but she flat spins beautifully, both upright and inverted with the CG just aft of book.

Old 11-22-2011, 03:53 AM
tande

ORIGINAL: DonLEmmel

ORIGINAL: tande

What are your thoughts on the build quality of this plane? The Pilot RC arfs seem to offer alot that the more expensive Extreme Flight kits didn't. The carbon spinner, carbon landing gear, cowl ring, and aluminum hub wheels were all huge selling points. I had the EF Extra 300 78'' ARF and it was almost $100 more delivered. Do you have any pics or videos of your Sbach?
Hi Don....The build quality on mine is excellent....pre/hinged, pre/decaled, everything fits as it should....I'm a "Happy/Camper"....No video but I'll try posting a pic. ....I feel the same as yourself about the "Selling/Points"....I also love the looks of the "Sbach"....
Thanks
Ed
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo38966.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	226.7 KB
ID:	1689747  
Old 11-22-2011, 05:24 AM
Sbach342Guy

Wow, that really is a gorgeous plane! The pics on ChiefAircraft's website weren't very good. The angle of your picture is exactly what I wanted to see.
Old 11-22-2011, 05:52 AM
iflywhenican
My Feedback: (1)

I just finished a 30cc version of the Goldwing RC Yak 54. Got the kit/engine combo at Troy Built. Have not had a chance to maiden her yet. The kit was one of the finest I have ever built as far as quality goes.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78389.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	1689761  
Old 11-22-2011, 07:04 AM
microdon2

Tande - beautiful plane! What's the wingspan, and what engine are you using?

(btw - no offense, buy you don't look ANYTHING like I imagined...)
Old 11-22-2011, 07:07 AM
microdon2

(btw - no offense, buy you don't look ANYTHING like I imagined...)
Old 11-22-2011, 07:41 AM
Sbach342Guy

He said it was the 36% version of the plane I ordered which means that baby has a 107" wingspan. The DLE sticker on the plane leads me to believe he is using a DLE-111???
Old 11-22-2011, 08:26 AM
tande

He said it was the 36% version of the plane I ordered which means that baby has a 107'' wingspan. The DLE sticker on the plane leads me to believe he is using a DLE-111???
Yup & Yup.....

(btw - no offense, buy you don't look ANYTHING like I imagined...
Ha/Ha!....Thanks microdon2.....Ya, my latest plane & my latest wife! ...
Old 11-22-2011, 12:26 PM
landeck

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Spent the morning out at the field today - the weather was great. It may be the last good warn day till spring. The Revolver 70 flew perfectly and I got many comments on how well it flies. One of the guys just bought one based on eyeing mine all summer. A second one is considering it. It has a Magnum 91 FS which is plenty of power. So far that engine has performed as well as the more expensive ones. I love the plane.

Bruce
Old 11-22-2011, 12:39 PM
GaryA

same exact setup for me...

+1

Old 11-22-2011, 12:39 PM
microdon2

I finally got the part needed to rebuild my YS 140, and so got that back together last night and reinstalled in the Rev 70. Went flying this morning. Coulnd't understand why the engine was dying on throttle up, until I discovered that I had reveresed the throttle fuel feed and engine pulse lines! As Rick Perry would say, "ooops." SO got that straightened and the engine ran great, with some tweaking. The plane flies fantastically - started to do some hovering today, but just for a few secs. Will try that again soon and put more effort into it. The only problem I have with this engine now is that it leaves LOTS of fuel residue on the plane. I tried leaning it but the engine didn't like that. Am thinking of putting this YS 140 into my Super Stearman and that planes' OS 120 4s into the Revolver. But I'm not crazy about the fuel residue. Anyone else here running a YS 140 or 120? Do they NEED to run very rich, creating lots of fuel spillover?

Also am about to start rebuilding (from scratch) my other Rev 70, and reinstall the DLE 20. (the old Rev died due to a crash after a very untimely engine stall).
Old 11-22-2011, 01:06 PM
wjcalhoun

Hi Mike
In your hovers, is your R70 stable; mine has plenty of pull, but unless nearly vertical, she has significant wing rock. My 1/4 scale extra 260 has much less wing rock.
Bill
Old 11-22-2011, 02:29 PM
microdon2

wjcalhoun - haven't done it enough to tell. I'll work on the hover next time and have something to report. The Rev70 isn't a 3D plane, so I'm not surprised that your 260 is more stable. The only hovering I've really done is with the Yak 54 3D on Real Flight, which I'm actually pretty good at. All to play for whether that will translate into real-world ability.

How long can you hold the hover? What engine and prop are you using? I'm using an APC 16x8 with the YS 140.
Old 11-22-2011, 03:26 PM
Sbach342Guy

ORIGINAL: iflywhenican

I just finished a 30cc version of the Goldwing RC Yak 54. Got the kit/engine combo at Troy Built. Have not had a chance to maiden her yet. The kit was one of the finest I have ever built as far as quality goes.
Nice looking plane!
Old 11-22-2011, 03:35 PM
Sbach342Guy

@tande - How is the Sbach for 3D? I'm not really doing 3D yet but I'd like to. A flat spin is about the most complex thing I can do at the moment. The inverted flat spin eludes me for some reason but the KE spin is darn close. I don't know if high alpha knife edges count as 3D but I can do them as well....with rolls back into KE. I'm learning that a properly set up plane is 75% of being able to do a maneuver. That being said my Revolver needs some CG tweaks. My MXS had a fair amount of mixes I didn't need because my CG was off a bit. Well, alot actually. The knife edge mixes I have in my Revolver will probably go away, or at least be reduced, if I fix my CG problems.
Old 11-22-2011, 05:02 PM
tande

@tande - How is the Sbach for 3D? I'm not really doing 3D yet but I'd like to. A flat spin is about the most complex thing I can do at the moment. The inverted flat spin eludes me for some reason but the KE spin is darn close. I don't know if high alpha knife edges count as 3D but I can do them as well....with rolls back into KE. I'm learning that a properly set up plane is 75% of being able to do a maneuver. That being said my Revolver needs some CG tweaks. My MXS had a fair amount of mixes I didn't need because my CG was off a bit. Well, alot actually. The knife edge mixes I have in my Revolver will probably go away, or at least be reduced, if I fix my CG problems.
Hi Don....Ha/Ha! ....Well for starters, you're asking the wrong guy, I'm 75 yr's old!....Sounds like you're way ahead of me....Ya, flat spins are fun, for myself inverted seems a little easier ....I think you're right, set/up has a LOT to do with it, lot's of throw, aft CG, the best (fastest) servos you can afford then the hand/eye coordination of a 20 yr old or 17 yr old (like Joe Smith http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzowQtqOM_I ) From all reports the "Sbach" is right up there....Don't want to HiJack the "Revolver" thread, so maybe I should leave it at that....Yes, I also have a couple "Rev. 70's", one with a YS 115s & one with a "DLE 20" as well as TOO MANY others....
Later
Ed
Old 11-22-2011, 05:20 PM
microdon2

tande - how would you compare the speed \ power of the YS115 to the DLE 20?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.