Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Larger Revolver

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Larger Revolver

Old 03-26-2012, 04:19 PM
Sbach342Guy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Larger Revolver

Did you guys have any trouble getting linear throttle response out of your DLE-20? My DLE-30 has been a serious PITA. I had to do a very specific mechanical setup (found on www.troybuiltmodels.com) to get it close. Tweaking the throttle curve in my DX8 dialed it in. I was getting 80% of my RPM's in the first 10% of my stick movement. It's good to go now but was a serious pain to get set up right.
Old 03-26-2012, 04:30 PM
capt1597

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

way to go mach2!!!!! living the dream,capt
Old 03-26-2012, 04:32 PM
capt1597

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

hey franeldan, you started all this excitment! isn't it great, capt
Old 03-26-2012, 07:52 PM
mach2
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: DonLEmmel

Did you guys have any trouble getting linear throttle response out of your DLE-20? My DLE-30 has been a serious PITA. I had to do a very specific mechanical setup (found on www.troybuiltmodels.com) to get it close. Tweaking the throttle curve in my DX8 dialed it in. I was getting 80% of my RPM's in the first 10% of my stick movement. It's good to go now but was a serious pain to get set up right.
The connectors on the throttle linkage need to very close on the servo arm and need to be far away on the arm on the carb. I didnt use the composite arm that extends the throttle are, but it would have made the rpm progression more linear. I just got used to it. when im at 2/3 throttle its pretty much full rpm. But you will notice that its not full power because it will lose rpm if you go vertical.

I cant do any expo on the throttle, but that would be the easiest way to make it better. Probably like you did.

Jeremy

Old 03-26-2012, 08:06 PM
Sbach342Guy

A guy from TroyBuiltModels posted a diagram on another RCUniverse thread showing the mechanical setup needed.

Here is the diagram for getting a nearly linear throttle response from a gas engine:

Old 03-26-2012, 11:53 PM
mach2

We only got some crappy video with our point and shoot still digital camera.But it's something....

I think I may see if i can get better smoke with another 5% on the EPA. I was running it at 45%. I bumped it up before the flight and tried 70 on the stand and it wasnt much smoke at all because it wasn't burning and was just spitting out oil...I think maybe 50% would be good.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwNayz3JSac&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]

Jeremy

Old 03-27-2012, 04:32 AM
wjcalhoun

mach2
Sometimes you get less smoke with more oil. In order for oil to make smoke, the muffler has to be hot enough to vaporize the oil. Too much oil, not enough heat = less smoke. Maybe the little DLE20 cant make enough heat. In any case, you might try LESS oil also, especially if you have oil dripping from the muffler.

Old 03-27-2012, 05:16 AM
ICEM@N

if the wheater helpssss

I will maiden my Rev OS 120ax this weekend !

God bless us !

Ice
Old 03-27-2012, 05:18 AM
ICEM@N

I will fly with a 16x8 propp , just ti fill the plane ...

As my old friend Senna saids " First I feel the machine , than I feel the track , than I break the sound ... "
Old 03-27-2012, 05:31 AM
chandley43231
My Feedback: (2)

brother you will love the 1.20 ax on your revolver i have one in mine an it balanced out perfect i hve two servos in the rudder an a pull pull system my prop is a 15x10 lol u only need half to 3/4 throtel an you get about 10 minutes of flight an it weighs in at about 9 pounds have a 16 oz dubro tank it just fly s great an does anything you want it too  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXHYS...2&feature=plcp
Old 03-27-2012, 10:35 AM
Slow and Steady

If the DLE is loosing power on the upline, it may be to lean.

If you are at full throttle at 2/3 stick movement, your full throttle end point is likely to far out.

There is a reason for DLE including the composite arm with the engine. As someone mentioned, if you use the composite arm on the engine throttle arm, and the hole on the servo arm that is closest to the servo shaft, you will have a less sensitive stick and improve resolution, meaning a gradual increase in rpms as you advance the stick. Some actually drill an additional hole in the servo arm to place the ball link even closer to the servo shaft.
Old 03-27-2012, 11:25 AM
ICEM@N

Good fly Chandley , can you show us a inside picture ?

Old 03-27-2012, 12:23 PM
mach2

bad bad bad bad day.

it started out with wonderful weather and nice blue skies. I had a wonderful fun first flight and smoke at 40% was perfect and looked awesome.  finished it up with a nice landing.

The second flight was going pretty much the same way until after a few minutes i was climbing out nearly vertical and was getting ready to do a hammer head turn and the planes stopped responding. Im unable to figure out exactly why. The only thing i can think of is that the smoke pump finally caused enough interference to stop the Rx from receiving the signal. I was moving the sticks like crazy in hope that something would work to make it change direction. On its way down I was literally yelling "NO NO NO!!!!"

I watched my second beautiful revolver diving straight down at about half throttle and was completely helpless to do anything. I almost wanted to look away. Then I felt like I was gonna puke....

We'll see if I can salvage the engine again.

Im so bummed I dont even feel like rebuilding another one right now.....I put in so much effort on building the last two....
Old 03-27-2012, 12:24 PM
mach2

is it possible to get new case for the servos?  I broke off the mounting tabs on some of mine...
Old 03-27-2012, 12:29 PM
landeck
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry about the crash. Yes, you can get spare parts for the major servos (Futaba, HiTech, etc.) such as cases and gear trains. I had to order two new cases and one set of gears for the servos in my Revolver which crased last week. What radio are you using?

Bruce
Old 03-27-2012, 01:15 PM
mach2

I am using a Futaba 6ex. Futaba 617 Rx and Hitec servos.

does tower sell the servo parts?

Edit: Nevermind, I found that they do sell some parts and I also found servocity.com and a couple other places.

Thanks

Old 03-27-2012, 01:28 PM
wjcalhoun

Jeremy
Sorry about the crash
Before assuming it was the smoke pump interfering with signal, i would think of a couple of other things: 1) could a switch have failed; 2) could the battery have become discharged from the power draw from smoke pump; 3) could the power input wire to the receiver have come loose; 4) could your transmitter have failed?

What batteries were you using? What servos?

The 617 is pretty resistant to brown outs and interference, so i would worry about power interruption / failure.

Depending on how badly damaged she was when she went in, you might still be able to check out some of those possibilities.

Old 03-27-2012, 01:30 PM
Slow and Steady

Sorry to hear about the crash, but also wonder how you lost bind. You have a large battery serving all that equipment, but how many battery leads did you utilize. If only one Futaba lead was used, you may have had a drop in voltage and a brown out.
Old 03-27-2012, 01:37 PM
microdon2
My Feedback: (47)

mach2 - I'm also sorry to hear about your crash - SUCKS! I crashed one of my planes recently and I also had that "NO NO NO!!" moment. Takes a day or two to get over that. How much of your plane is salvegable? If it went straight in are the wings and tail ok? If so, maybe you can get by with just buying a replacement fuse \ canopy \ spinner... I've done that a few times. I break out the old tail section from a damaged fuse and re-use it. PM me if you want to talk about it.
Old 03-27-2012, 01:46 PM
ICEM@N

Jeremy , I would not think about smoke pump interference ...

check wires condition , total drain voltage and eletric connections ...

Sorry my friend , today is another day

Ice
Old 03-27-2012, 01:48 PM
ICEM@N

probably this weekend I will maidenmy Revolver , and as soon as possible I will start assembly my new project for the end of the year , an ESM Pilatus PC-21 with a MOKI 1.80 !!!
Old 03-27-2012, 01:58 PM
mach2

ORIGINAL: ICEM@N

Jeremy , I would not think about smoke pump interference ...

check wires condition , total drain voltage and eletric connections ...

Sorry my friend , today is another day

Ice
I had flown the plane a lot farther away from me with the smoke pump running and never had a problem. 4 previous flights.

well then the only thing i can think of is that the battery came disconnected from the Rx (or the switch between the RX and the batt) or the rx failed. It was in the last plane i crashed. But Icalled RadioSouth and he said to do range checking to make sure everything is working well and it should be good to go if there is no visual damage. The Rx is definately toast this time.

I had a ton of wiring becaues of the smoke pump system so mabe something did come loose. I had safety clips on all the connections ( think, but there was a butt load of wiring in it). But the clips werent as tight as I thought they would be. I think Ill be going back to the heat shrink on the connectors.

Iknow the heat shrinks works be cause some of the connectors got ripped of from the wire where they were heat shrinked. The aileron servo extentions were done that way and they held strong enough to rip the wire outta the connector....

thanks,
Jeremy

You know what, It had to be a loss of battery connection. we checked the battery and it had plenty of juice...but what makes me think it was a battery connections is because when i was climbing, i dont remember pulling the powerback, so if the Rx lost power, there would be no power to the ignition, and if the engine was still running even at half throttle is would have gone down to earth like a rocket. I was only coming down in a dive, but not like a power dive....

I think it lost battery power......DAMN IT!

Old 03-27-2012, 02:09 PM
ICEM@N

I alwaus use heat shrinks , just in the wing connections that I use clips

Old 03-27-2012, 02:17 PM
mach2

ORIGINAL: microdon2

mach2 - I'm also sorry to hear about your crash - SUCKS! I crashed one of my planes recently and I also had that "NO NO NO!!" moment. Takes a day or two to get over that. How much of your plane is salvegable? If it went straight in are the wings and tail ok? If so, maybe you can get by with just buying a replacement fuse \ canopy \ spinner... I've done that a few times. I break out the old tail section from a damaged fuse and re-use it. PM me if you want to talk about it.
Yeah, It was enough time for the other guys to take notice of what i was yelling about and they were all saying "pull out of it".....yeah, that was a good idea. I wish that worked for me.....It sucks really bad to crash a plane and not have it be a flying error. I was having a great day and was flying well. I am more bummed about this crash than I was when I crashed it because I did something stupid.....

It was worse than last time. I even broke servo tabs so im going to have to get new servo cases and maybe gears too. Actually i still have other servos i can use. Anyway, I just hope I can do the same thing with the engine and take it apart and inspect it and run her again. She was runnin like a champ in this new plane.

But I have a feeling that that straight in hit may have bent the crank, con rod, or at the very least damaged the bearings. But Its fixable Im sure. And the muffler is beat up. It snapped the spark plug....

So im gonna put some money into fixing the engine too.

As for the airplane itself, Its destroyed. The tail was intact, but worthless anyway.

It hit so hard that the tank slammed into the firewall and one of the motor mount bolts actually punctured all the way into the tank. And it was a blunt bolt end! And the tank was almost like and accordion.

Old 03-27-2012, 02:30 PM
mach2

ORIGINAL: wjcalhoun

Jeremy
Sorry about the crash
Before assuming it was the smoke pump interfering with signal, i would think of a couple of other things: 1) could a switch have failed; 2) could the battery have become discharged from the power draw from smoke pump; 3) could the power input wire to the receiver have come loose; 4) could your transmitter have failed?

What batteries were you using? What servos?

The 617 is pretty resistant to brown outs and interference, so i would worry about power interruption / failure.

Depending on how badly damaged she was when she went in, you might still be able to check out some of those possibilities.

Its really destroyed. The Rx is trashed.

Just confirming that the 617 is not prone to interference? Im just wondering if I should ditch the smoke system on the next one.

As for the battery, Im using a 6.6v 3200mah LiFe (and IBEC). I flew 3 flights of 5-7 minutes yesterday with the smoke pump running most of the time and it only took 334mah back in to top it off. Ive got way way more battery than i need. And we checked it after the crash and it was still at 6.5v.

Im really thinking that the connection from the batt to the switch may have come loose. Or the switch failed. It was a hitec HD switch...

Servos are Hitec 485s and a 645 on the rudder.

So when Iget a new Rx, I will check to see if the switch failed or if the Radio failed....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.