Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Larger Revolver

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Larger Revolver

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 11:09 AM
mach2
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Larger Revolver

thanks for the heads up. ill be more ready for it to roll inverted on me from now on. Otherwise Id be pretty complacent on knife edge because it always did it so well. I would do it fairly low too.

I usually do it at full speed or almost full speed so that the rudder has a lot of more authority. Were you doing it fast or slower when it rolled on you?

Jeremy

oh, do you remember whether you were doing it on the right or left edge? Maybe the prop torque was a factor?

Old 04-14-2012, 11:49 AM
Slow and Steady

It happened twice. The one that I remember most vividly was left to right with the canopy facing me at 2/3 throttle. I fly with an OS 75 AX, and an APC 13 6 prop. It happened very quickly and I was a little startled by it. Totally unexpected, but maybe the plane was tilted slightly toward the canopy at the time; the dihedral may have also pushed it once past vertical. Just something to keep in mind. I should note that I have not flown this plane in a long time, but I still like it alot. My main plane is an Extreme Flight Yak with a DLE 55. The Yak will do whatever you ask it to, but will not alter course without input. You fly it the whole time it is up. But its flat spins (inverted or upright), blenders, knife edge, snaps and harriers are really fun to watch.
Old 04-18-2012, 05:34 AM
Intruder671

Well, exactly 1 month later, after 4 calls and 11 emails, with absoloutely no return responses, I emailed Great Planes 1 last time with the pics yesterday and said right at the end "This is my last attempt and I call my lawyer!" They immediately responded as if they woken from the dead and said "Sorry sir, we will send your wings out this week."

I love this plane so much, but after this customer support experience of being ignored as if I didn't exist, I don't know if I will being getting a Great Planes aircraft again. I didn't know being kind didn't work these days and you have to mention the word lawyer. It was like torture looking at her sitting there helpless.

BUT!!!!!!!  I am beyond excited to get to fly her again soon.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:32 AM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Intruder671

Well, exactly 1 month later, after 4 calls and 11 emails, with absoloutely no return responses, I emailed Great Planes 1 last time with the pics yesterday and said right at the end ''This is my last attempt and I call my lawyer!'' They immediately responded as if they woken from the dead and said ''Sorry sir, we will send your wings out this week.''

I love this plane so much, but after this customer support experience of being ignored as if I didn't exist, I don't know if I will being getting a Great Planes aircraft again. I didn't know being kind didn't work these days and you have to mention the word lawyer. It was like torture looking at her sitting there helpless.

BUT!!!!!!! I am beyond excited to get to fly her again soon.
It is unfortunate that sometimes we have bad experiences with vendors. I am glad you got it moving along, but sorry you had to go through such. I have good and bad experiences, however overall I would state that rarely do I have a bad experience with vendors.

I wonder why the vendors don't realize what an impact that a bad experience can have on their overall profit margin or if they do they just don't bother to consider it. Last year I had a bad experience with a vendor from the west coast (Washington) with an airplane I purchased. It was the worst workmanship of any plane I have purchased to date.

I took pictures, emailed the vendor to see if anything could be done. I was decent and reasonable through all my communications. The vendor did email me, however he did not offer a store credit, or an RMA to return the plane, or anything that was decent for a new customer (my first purchase from them). After I read the email I realized that I would end up eating this one and count my losses. One of the many problems with the plane were hinges. One of his suggestions was that I re-hinge all the surfaces or I could pay to ship back to Washington. That was not feasible either.

The sad thing is, it is doubful that I will ever purchase anything from them again. I know exactly how much this plane has cost me in addional labor. Now I am a small time buyer - probably around 1500-2500 a year. So the business I would have given them this year will go to someone else and those I fly with know of my experiences.

Things have changed these days. When I was in business, EVERY customer was important and EVERY purchase was important to me and my business.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:55 AM
microdon2
My Feedback: (47)

Speaking of Great Planes, they're offering $30 off on Large Revolvers right now.

Went to the field this morning to fly my new (used) Kangke Monocoupe. It's 96" wingspan with a Zenoah 26cc engine. I fused the flaps to the ailerons and upgraded the aileron servos to give a better roll rate. No EI in this plane - it uses a magneto (my first). Tested the engine a few weeks ago and it started right up - ran like a top. This morning, however, after building the plane and fueling it up - no spark! Did an hour of troubleshooting \ rewiring , but no luck.

Can't wait to get this plane airborne - it's cool looking, right? Just hope those wings hold while inverted....

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Da83146.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	123.5 KB
ID:	1751949   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni23545.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	126.9 KB
ID:	1751950   Click image for larger version

Name:	In26043.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	129.9 KB
ID:	1751951  
Old 04-18-2012, 09:02 AM
Slow and Steady

Twice I have sent Hobbico Services, Towers repair division, my DLE 55. The first time they replaced the crank and connecting rod, without charge. The second time, approximately six months later, they gave me a new engine. Each turn around was ten days, with the last time just about 6 weeks ago, when to my surprise a new engine was dropped on my door step by UPS. Another time I purchased a 75 AX which had a grinding noise straight out of the box. They told me a new one would be shipped out right away and to just send the other one back. Sorry to hear you didn't get the same level of service. While I have heard of other complaints, my experience has always been outstanding. I don't understand how customer service in this country has gone so down hill. The cashier at my local hobby shop never says thanks (for the business) and acts like she is doing me a favor; and the only thing they will do for returns is a store credit. Once I returned an engine with the same issues as the 75 AX noted above. I had just purchased it two hours before, and all I got was a store credit. In fact they tried to talk me into keeping it, saying the grinding would disappear after it it run awhile. They have lost thousands of dollars in my business over the last 7 years. When I was in business, customers came first and I never had to advertise.

On the other hand I have witnessed customers attemping to return a crashed plane expecting a complete refund. One jirk at our field used to boast about telling Horizon his crashes were due to defects in their product and also demanded a new plane. To my surprise, according to him, Horizon would do as he demanded. Talk about customer service beyond the call of duty. Not to mention an unconscionable customer. My sister used to work in a large department store and regularly she saw customer bring back dresses they had worn and even stained, demanding a refund. I could go on.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:13 AM
Slow and Steady

Hi Micro, Nice plane. Fellow at our field has one and flies it with a 30cc gasser, but normally at half throttle. He has regularly had flights last over 20 minutes, although he doesn't push it. What a great looking and nice flying plane. Life after Revolver 70??

Interesting looking airplane restraint. Plane looks like a first class build.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:44 AM
Intruder671

That's a really nice plane microdon.

Old 04-18-2012, 10:15 AM
mach2

ORIGINAL: Slow and Steady

Twice I have sent Hobbico Services, Towers repair division, my DLE 55. The first time they replaced the crank and connecting rod, without charge. The second time, approximately six months later, they gave me a new engine. Each turn around was ten days, with the last time just about 6 weeks ago, when to my surprise a new engine was dropped on my door step by UPS. Another time I purchased a 75 AX which had a grinding noise straight out of the box. They told me a new one would be shipped out right away and to just send the other one back. Sorry to hear you didn't get the same level of service. While I have heard of other complaints, my experience has always been outstanding. I don't understand how customer service in this country has gone so down hill. The cashier at my local hobby shop never says thanks (for the business) and acts like she is doing me a favor; and the only thing they will do for returns is a store credit. Once I returned an engine with the same issues as the 75 AX noted above. I had just purchased it two hours before, and all I got was a store credit. In fact they tried to talk me into keeping it, saying the grinding would disappear after it it run awhile. They have lost thousands of dollars in my business over the last 7 years. When I was in business, customers came first and I never had to advertise.

On the other hand I have witnessed customers attemping to return a crashed plane expecting a complete refund. One jirk at our field used to boast about telling Horizon his crashes were due to defects in their product and also demanded a new plane. To my surprise, according to him, Horizon would do as he demanded. Talk about customer service beyond the call of duty. Not to mention an unconscionable customer. My sister used to work in a large department store and regularly she saw customer bring back dresses they had worn and even stained, demanding a refund. I could go on.
Its the sqeaky wheel that gets the grease. The people who deserve a replacement or some kind of compensation for a defective product get the run around or nothing at all. People who are full of crap get something for nothing. I hate it because I hate being that irritating person, so I end up usually getting the short end of the stick on stuff.

I have had a good experience with hobbico but ive only needed them a couple times with some tech support. Once I needed to know right away what direction the ring gap goes on a DLE20 and he actually put me on hold and went and found an answer. Ithought he'd just tell me it doesnt matter if he didnt know the real answer. Ive never been asking anything that required them taking a hit, so....

Oh, and my last revolver was 30 bucks off. That was a nice surprise since it was the third one I bought in the last 5 months.

Old 04-18-2012, 10:22 AM
Slow and Steady

Maybe I got lucky, but the last time I spoke to Hobbico Services was to inform them of the noise coming from the engine; I also noted that the crank and rod had been replaced. They asked me to send it in and ten days later I had a new engine. If anything, I should have called and thanked them for the great service. Still might.

I think the fact he put you on hold to get the right answere says alot. Have you ever had someone just give you an answer so they could get rid of you? I am sure we all have. We all get hit by bad customer service, but no one more than the company that ends up loosing business. And I will bet they don't even see the connection. How sad is that?
Old 04-18-2012, 03:56 PM
Luchnia

ORIGINAL: microdon2

Speaking of Great Planes, they're offering $30 off on Large Revolvers right now.

Went to the field this morning to fly my new (used) Kangke Monocoupe. It's 96'' wingspan with a Zenoah 26cc engine. I fused the flaps to the ailerons and upgraded the aileron servos to give a better roll rate. No EI in this plane - it uses a magneto (my first). Tested the engine a few weeks ago and it started right up - ran like a top. This morning, however, after building the plane and fueling it up - no spark! Did an hour of troubleshooting \ rewiring , but no luck.

Can't wait to get this plane airborne - it's cool looking, right? Just hope those wings hold while inverted....

Very nice. I fly at one club that has mostly gassers and this reminds me of what they fly. Some of the guys have Zenoahs with magneto ignitions. A couple of them have a start spring where you hold the prop back against the recoil spring and let it go to crank it up. These guys are flying planes that is some cases are 30 to 40 years old and they are pristine.

They have stick built most of them too. I have attached a couple of pictures of one of the Cessnas to illustrate the quality of their builds.

Name:	Bz77984.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	1752070   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av68860.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	1752071  
Old 04-18-2012, 04:02 PM
Luchnia

This is one of the worst problems we have. The rest of us pay for this kind of garbage. I have heard guys say they would buy stuff and use it and take it back the same day....really makes me hot! No wonder the businesses struggle these days when we have losers in the world that rook everyone they can.

BTW, you can get the 30 bucks off the Rev, but if you go ahead and do a 300 you can get the 50 extra off if you are a Tower Super Saver member. I have used that a number of times and that works out well. I was really tempted to get another Revolver, but I got more planes that I have to time to fly now! What a shame
Old 04-18-2012, 04:05 PM
Luchnia

Oh, forgot to mention the Cessna has a twin cylinder engine in it. Zoom in and look at the detail in the second picture, especially the pilot. The guy who built the plan even custom made the pilot's sunglasses. This plane looks so nice I can hardly tell it from a full scale when he flies it.
Old 04-18-2012, 06:05 PM
microdon2

Luchnia - that Cessna is gorgeous. Any idea the wingspan and engine?
Old 04-18-2012, 06:45 PM
mach2

ORIGINAL: Luchnia

This is one of the worst problems we have. The rest of us pay for this kind of garbage. I have heard guys say they would buy stuff and use it and take it back the same day....really makes me hot! No wonder the businesses struggle these days when we have losers in the world that rook everyone they can.

BTW, you can get the 30 bucks off the Rev, but if you go ahead and do a 300 you can get the 50 extra off if you are a Tower Super Saver member. I have used that a number of times and that works out well. I was really tempted to get another Revolver, but I got more planes that I have to time to fly now! What a shame
Yep, I got the plane on sale, plus the 50 bucks off because im a memeber, or whatever that is called. And of course free shipping. AND no tax!

Speaking of local hobby guys, I try to help out local stores, but if I buy something and it doesnt turn out to work for me, he wont take it back even for store credit because he says he cant sell it. Even if its not open. If he's got one in stock, he will definitely not take it back. Pretty much a no return policy. Hell I had one of his employees sell me xl tygon fuel line because I told him what Iwas working on. Well it was too big. And 6' of tygon aint cheap. I just wanted to trade it for the right size. It was like pulling teeth and I actually had to get attitude because the owner and the guy who sold it to me were both telling me Iwas in the wrong. What happened to the customer's always right. I know thats no longer the situation because people want ridiculous stuff, but when you have a customer who comes in on a regular basis and spends a decent amout of money each time, you'd think he'd want to keep my business. Its not like he was even losing any money. He could easily sell that fuel line Ibrought back.

AND he knows that I could order from tower and save money. There is nothing keeping me going into his shop other than the fact that I can see the item, and get it right away. But most of the time that's not needed. And if there is something I forgot to include in my online order, chances are that its very cheap, so he wouldnt make much money from me coming in only to get odds and ends every once in a while....

Crazy!

Old 04-19-2012, 03:02 AM
Luchnia

ORIGINAL: microdon2

Luchnia - that Cessna is gorgeous. Any idea the wingspan and engine?
If memory is serving me correctly it is not a power house because he built it more to scale. It is a 50cc Twin cylinder and around 100" on wingspan. The thing flies so scale it is unreal! He taxies out and takes off on grass runway to a graceful takeoff. He has flaps, scale light, and everything. I usually just watch when he flies because it has such a full scale look in flight. I think he told me it took him one full year to build the Cessna.

Those guys have a number of planes that are beautiful. Some are done so well you cannot find the covering lines...drives me bonkers how they can do that! I set there and drool wishing I could cover that well. He also has a red bipe that is totally immaculate. It is one of the best covering jobs I have ever seen - nothing fancy just perfectly smooth all over. I asked him about the sunglasses on the pilots and he even makes the rims out of wire and cuts the shade part out of tinted plastic.

I find that there is much for guys like me to learn from guys with that type of experience.
Old 04-19-2012, 03:50 AM
ICEM@N

Just watching ...
Old 04-19-2012, 06:32 AM
Intruder671

Luchnia - That cessna is amazing. My father worked for Cessna corp. for a great deal of his life designing the electronics. I have a special love for that plane.  I really wanted one, but didn't want to get such a beautiful detailed plane, when I didn't even know if I could fly the revolver or much anything yet. 

The cessna is definitely on my list next.
Old 04-19-2012, 07:05 AM
Luchnia

ORIGINAL: Intruder671

Luchnia - That cessna is amazing. My father worked for Cessna corp. for a great deal of his life designing the electronics. I have a special love for that plane. I really wanted one, but didn't want to get such a beautiful detailed plane, when I didn't even know if I could fly the revolver or much anything yet.

The cessna is definitely on my list next.
When I was a young boy around the age of ten my dad had a full scale Cessna and I use to get to go flying with him. I thought there was nothing else but a Cessna [8D] and that I was the coolest kid alive in that plane. I even took the controls a few times before I was thirteen.

He started out with a Cessna 150 two seater (I think that is correct number) then he later purchased a four seater which I think was a Skylane or Skyhawk. I am not positive which it was called but it was a four seater and would move along quite well. It was a huge upgrade from the 150 two seater.

I don't have a Cessna as an RC plane because I like the more acro type flying. Who knows maybe one day before I depart this world, I may build me one just for old time's sake in remembrance to my dad.
Old 04-19-2012, 07:20 AM
microdon2

Sounds like that would be a very fitting tribute.
Old 04-19-2012, 11:42 AM
Slow and Steady

There is something about a well built kit plane. Unfortunately, in South Florida we don't have the long winter to motivate that type of build. RC Guys makes a nice Cessna 150 ARF and I may have to get one somewhere down the road.

By the way, does anyone here have issues with real planes buzzing their field? There isn't a week that goes by the some full scale plane does a slow fly by right through the middle of ours; usually no more than a couple hundred feet up. Sometimes it is pretty cool; we've had Pitts, Cessnas, a B17, AT6 and a vintage biplane, but I can't remember the name - Navy trainer (its tough getting old). Most are usually Cessna 150s or similar. Normally I dive to maintain safe distance. Recently I actually had to climb to avoid one.

I used to keep track of my RC spending and think it came to over a couple of grand a year in the first couple of years. Tower actually maintains a list of all invoices associated with each super saver member, which the member can access. Don't think I want to know and I stopped keeping track.
Old 04-19-2012, 11:48 AM
microdon2

S&S - are you right next to an airport? Doesn't sound safe to have those planes flying so close. Do you have a low ceiling restriction at your field? I think most are 400 ft, right?

Last summer a friend, who has his real pilot's license - took me up in a Cessna 172. Part of our flight plane was to fly over another mutual friend's RC Flying field (acutally a parking lot near his house). Was very cool - we circled our other friend on the groud as he flew his Rev 59 below us. VERY cool to see the Revolver from above!
Old 04-19-2012, 11:55 AM
Slow and Steady

No but it is near the Everglades and an area that folks like to practice flying. Most planes are low enough to get your attention, but high enough to stay safe. But not alway.

Hey, I was hoping for some help with the name of the WWII Navy trainer bi-plane!! The're usually Canary Yellow and Sky Blue.
Old 04-19-2012, 03:32 PM
Luchnia

No but it is near the Everglades and an area that folks like to practice flying. Most planes are low enough to get your attention, but high enough to stay safe. But not alway.

Hey, I was hoping for some help with the name of the WWII Navy trainer bi-plane!! The're usually Canary Yellow and Sky Blue.
According to Wikipedia it appears to be the Stearman (Boeing) Model 75

Name:	Da83118.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	15.0 KB
ID:	1752449  
Old 04-19-2012, 04:38 PM
wjcalhoun

S&S
I think F/S aircraft are generally required to stay 500' AGL, unless taking off, landing, conducting agricultural spraying, etc, which should put them above 500 ft. Around our field, there are F/S aircraft that do pipeline inspections, and they fly at ~150-200'. R/C is always required to yield to F/S as you know. We occasionally have a B-17, B-25, and P-47, but I have not seen them lower than ~500.

On the other hand, seeing classic F/S up close in flight is interesting.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.