Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 234 of 308 FirstFirst ... 134184224232233234235236244284 ... LastLast
Results 5,826 to 5,850 of 7688

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Larger Revolver

wyo69 - not sure if I agree. The Rev 70 has plenty of side-cowl space for the DLE 20 stock muffler. You do need to do a cut-out for the muffler, but its not near encroaching on the vertical sidewall. I imagine the Rev 90 cowl would be proportionally wide, and wide enough to house the DLE 55 \ side exhaust comfortably.

Since TH recommends this setup, I'll give them a call later to confirm.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Mike
    If you are going to speak with them, see if you can get a cowl width measurement, and a cowl height measurement.
    I'm still thinking DLE 111 might be a good match, but i don't want to have to cut away all the cowl.

Thanks

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Got the Rev-70 with DLE-20 in the airworks greatgoing to try the new one and use Diamond D-8000 servos-190 oz/in at 6 volts for 19.95-haven't used them before but am going to give them a try-

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Has anyone used Diamond servos beforeif so did they hold up-???

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

A DLE-111 weighs almost 2x what the DLE-55 weighs. It is just under 3lbs heavier. The wing loading on the R90 is already pretty high. Adding another 3lbs will make it even worse. Wouldn't that much extra weight on a plane that already has high wing loading result in a flying brick?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

wjc - just spoke with TH - they don't have any details yet. Could be a few weeks. Though she did say that it looks like there's a DLE 55 installed in the Rev 90 in the picture, and that looks like it fits.

Cactus463 - you mean "Dymond" servos, right? Have you used them before? Are they any good?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

SBach - maybe the DLE 111 will be fine if you just don't slow down. (just kidding, wjc)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Sbach
    Agree on the weight - it is why i am still considering what power plant to use. Power/wt for this much airframe would be around 75-90cc, so the mintor 75 twin would have been a nice option. I may go with a ZDZ90 single, with less weight than the DLE111.

Mike - thanks for checking on the details

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yes-I meant DymondI ordered some and they look goodoperated them on workbench and they seem to be quiet and operate smoothlygoing to use some in a 1/4 scale Christen Eagledo you have any experience with them???

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Cactus - This is the first I've heard of Dymond servos. But I just spoke with Bob at Dymond, and he sounds honest enough. I"m going to order some to check them out. Maybe use them for my Rev 70 \ DLE 20. And if they DON"T work? What's the worst that could happen .....

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Here's an option I've been checking out for my next one:

http://www.troybuiltmodels.com/items/HD-1501MG.html

Doubt you'll beat that kind of power in this price range, and they have a decent reputation from what I can tell.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: ahicks

Here's an option I've been checking out for my next one:

http://www.troybuiltmodels.com/items/HD-1501MG.html

Doubt you'll beat that kind of power in this price range, and they have a decent reputation from what I can tell.
    I have used PowerHD for a while now (close to two years now). I have heard that you have to use caution at which ones you use. My favorites are the 7150s, 9150s, 9001s, and the 8709TGs. The 7150s and the 9150s are tough as nails. I do have a couple 1501MGs but don't remember what I used them for. I think on throttles. Oh, and I have a few other PowerHDs.

I have seen the Dymond brand in the magazine but I don't have any experience with those. I also run Hitec and have for some time. The thing is the PowerHDs actually have done as good or better of a job than Hitecs for far less money. I have heard horror stories about them but I have yet to have any problems at all. The price for good Hitec servo will about buy you two of the better PowerHDs.

I hope I haven't started a servo war here! [8D] People are sensitive about their favorite brand of servos.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Luchnia
    I think most of us are pretty objective on engines, servos, radios, etc. Key factors are performance, reliabilty, and costs.

I like Futaba and Hitec because they have met my expectations, and have not failed when used in properly engineered applications. I had some Power HD DS120M servos which were really awful - 3/5 failed within 10 flights on an R70 - but I have heard better things about the models you mentioned. I am using Savox servos in another 50cc plane with great results. My failures with the Power HD brand have made me suspicious of the entire line, perhaps an unreasonable extrapolation, but that is just me. Those servos are analog also, rather than digital. Others see it differently, but i have gone exclusively to digitals for precision and holding; aside from cost, i have not heard a compelling argument for an advantage of an analog servo.

I just lost a 50cc AW airframe today due to a loose servo arm screw held in place by silicone, rather than blue loctite on one of the elevator halves. I check every linkage before flying each day. It was tight before i took off today. It backed out during one flight. Needless to say, that is ONE MORE LESSON i have learned. No silicone on servo screws for me, ONLY BLUE LOCTITE. That was not a servo failure, but a linkage failure, but a servo failure would have had the same result. Fortunately, she went down in a field, not into a friend's truck, or into a friend!

As I look at the amounts I have invested in larger planes - $1500-$2500 a copy - I personally see servos as a minor, not unimportant, but minor part of the costs. If i save $40/servo, it is only $200 over the plane. Reliability counts for a lot for me as it is a matter of safety.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

wjc - sorry to hear about your plane. But a good lesson for all of us.

On these Power HD servos, the thing is I'm on a very tight RC budget - (I buy used planes and engines, when the deal looks good). I don't need digital or ultra=high speed. The reviews I've just read online are mixed - some glowing, some not. Some have issues with centering. I'm probably going to order some and try them out.

Question - have you ever had \ heard of a crash due to servo failure? (I'm thinking most planes can still fly with one aileron, one elevator, or no rudder).

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi fellow Revolver fans,

I just maiden my Revolver Monday and all I can say is WOW! Now I'm a true believer,my Revolver does anything I ask it to do,spins ,knife edges Stall turns Ect. ,the plane makes me look like I know what I'm doing. And when it was time to land she floats right in for a nice soft touchdown. I love this airplane! I few this plane almost non-stop from 12:00 pm until 4:00 pm I had her on the ground just long enough too refuel and check all servo and control surfaces after each flight. In four hours I had 8/ 12 min flights,I would have tried for a few more but my 3000mah A123 Life pack was down to 31% so I called it a great good day. Here a few quick photo and specs

1. Engine DLE-20 with Jtec radiowave muffler propeller Xoar 17x6
    2. Eliminated ignition battery to save weight added Aero-tech Ultra-IBEC http://www.tech-aero.net/ultra-ibec
    3. Control surface servo's Hitec HS-645MG duel Aileron/Elevator and single Rudder
    4. Throttle servo Futaba S3152 with carbon fiber linkage. build new thottle servo tray. throttle respones is excellent with this set-up.
    5. Bp Hobbies 3000mah 6.6 vdc A123 life battery powers all servo's and DLE-20 ignition.
    6. All control links replaced and 440 rods used with Dubro heavy duty control horns and Dubro safety lock Kwick links
    7. 8oz Fourtitude R/C fuel tank
    8. Heavy duty Miracle switch with fuel dot.
    9. CG is set dead nuts on Great planes recommended CG of 140mm/5.5" this probity because of where I mounted my elevator servo's and battery,I would say the CG is neutral

I have some photo's of my build I would like too share,if there is no objects... I willn't bore you with the standard modification that can be found the thread 233 pages just a different perspective of some of them,enjoy. Cheers; Rich

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nl28303.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	145.4 KB 
ID:	1805325   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Up49331.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	186.1 KB 
ID:	1805326  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Nicely done Rich; pretty build.

Enjoy your R70. Sounds to me like you have equipped her very nicely. The only thing you might try, as you gain experience with her, is to prop her a bit faster with 15x10. BUT... enjoy your bird.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Here's a few of my build pictures first few are of standard mods like Robart 1/8 hinges installed in tail feathers,control rods and linkages and landing gear mod.the rest are of servo installation and wiring boring stuff.Cheers Rich

Name:	Yw68456.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	83.7 KB 
ID:	1805328   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xs57037.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	72.5 KB 
ID:	1805329   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hm24302.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	70.0 KB 
ID:	1805330   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ga77938.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	87.2 KB 
ID:	1805331   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vh56215.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	235.0 KB 
ID:	1805332  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ar10697.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	152.1 KB 
ID:	1805333  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Proteus - congrats! And welcome to the Revolver club. I see you went the "no spinner" route - first time I've seen that on the Rev 70. And you're getting a 12 min flight on an 8oz tank? Very cool. And one battery - you build light! Pls post build pics.

btw - I see you're in Elizabeth, NJ. Do you ever fly at RCRCC in Clarkstown in Rockland? I'm usually there one day a weekend.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Oops i'm embarrassedI forgot to show land gear mod actually I forgot to take a photo of the brace I installed behind the plywood block. Anyway here they are now with engine instalation. Rich

Name:	Ge94184.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	75.2 KB 
ID:	1805334   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vq52199.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	76.7 KB 
ID:	1805335   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ci98247.jpg 
Size:	91.9 KB 
ID:	1805336   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wp40653.jpg 
Size:	111.6 KB 
ID:	1805337   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	It10186.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	105.8 KB 
ID:	1805338  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xn87907.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	110.2 KB 
ID:	1805339  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

wjcalhoun,

Thanks sir,yes I already considered putting a 15x6 prop on but right now I love how it flies now Wahoo

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Guys
    Pulled the trigger on the R90 tonight. No ship date yet. Still had not decided on her engine (ZDZ90 vs DLE111) but did hear from GP on the cowl size today. It is 9 1/4 wide at the FW, so a DLE 111 with width of over 10", not including plug tips, spark plug wires, etc, simply will not fit. As several have noted, it is a fair bit of weight to put on that airframe as well. The ZDZ is a single cylinder!

I'll have to decide if a DLE55RA or a ZDZ90 will pull her around. Maybe the mintor 75 will come back!
    Anyone have an idea about other 75-90cc twins that might fit?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Microdon2,

Heywe pretty close to one another,I fly out of North Branch flying field and Atom's RC both field are located in Summerset New Jersey about 25 miles from my house. The DLE sips fuel if I use good throttle management, after 12 min I have aout 1/4" of fuel left in the tank. I actually didn't install the spinner and the pilot figure too same more weight I got a little carried-away with epoxy and fibber glass beefing the firewall and landing gear up.. total weight of aircraft is 9.8lbs Rich

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

proteus-
    I used that same landing gear mod on mine because I just abuse the hell out of my gear seeing how slow I can get it to touch down. Regarding the CG, some of the more adventurous here have moved it back 1/2" from suggested with very good results. No bad habits...
    Mine took a little extra downthrust to eliminate a tendency to climb or descend depending on the amount of power I had on it. (20cc RCG APC 17x6)
    About the only other thing I've done is to set the rudder up to use all the available travel for improved knife edge. Manual's suggested travel left it pretty wimpy for my flying style.

Mine has surprised me, now that it's sorted out reasonably well. It's flying qualities have taken me by complete surprise! Used to think I was pretty good at predicting them...

-Al

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

wjachoun,
    Congrats on your new purchase,I"m just a little  envious of you  but again I have plenty of kits and ARF's to keep me busy and out of  divorce court!
     My vote goes to the DLE-55RA I have the Dle-35RA that's going in a GP Gaint ugly stik. Cheers:Rich