Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 235 of 313 FirstFirst ... 135185225233234235236237245285 ... LastLast
Results 5,851 to 5,875 of 7805

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Larger Revolver

Sbach
    Thanks
    Saw that - but at $750 + another $120 for mufflers, it is a bit steep! CF DLE55RA for $420.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I heard some bad things about the DS120Ms as well. I got a 50cc plane with DS120Ms and I removed them all and replaced them with much more trusted servos. I just did not feel confident that they would hold up for the long haul. I might put them on a beater or something but not on a plane I have anything much invested in.

The 7150, 9150, and 8309TG are digital servos. The 9001s are analog. I am like you I prefer the digitals over the analogs hands down. BTW, what model Savox are you using?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Back on to the servos. Digital vs. analog is a decision you have to make. Personally, I don't think there will ever be a day when I can tell the difference between them the way I fly. I'm just a sport pilot that likes to hack into some 3D by accident on occasion? And most will not disagree the digitals can be power hogs when compared to an analog of similar capacity.

BUT, if you insist on digital, I've been flying these servo's in 2 gassers. Both sets are in their second plane (one crashed, one just pissed me off), are at the end of their 3rd season now, and I have no regrets regarding them. They've worked flawlessly - but again my demands may be different than others. I'm good if they keep air under my plane when I tell them to pretty much. As you'll see below, I'm into inexpensive (OK, CHEAP!) servos. These have had some comments regarding centering as well, but neither of my sets has left me wondering. I don't notice myself reaching for trim buttons much past the maiden flights?

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...sp?idProduct=2

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: wjcalhoun

Sbach
    Thanks
    Saw that - but at $750 + another $120 for mufflers, it is a bit steep! CF DLE55RA for $420.

No doubt. The DLE-55 (or RA) would be my personal choice as well. I think a 55 will pull this plane around quite nicely.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Great info and we agree on the Rev 70. I hope the 50cc model will fly like the Rev 70 and even better!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Luchnia:
    I have 1265TG in my 50cc PHP Extra 260. Very quick very strong, and so far reliable as gravity.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ahicks,
    I got the idea from you on one of your early post on this thread, I used some large tongue compressors and fromed an "I" beem between the landing gear block and the aft former.I thanformed a .40" thick sheet metalfront "L" bracket and installed 1" 440 screws with expoy too the firewall and expoxyed the landing gear into place. I used U-40 expoxyrod bond and quick bond, once you usedU-40 epoxyyou will never use anything else http://www.u-40.com/rodbond.html
    Cheers:Rich

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: ahicks

Back on to the servos. Digital vs. analog is a decision you have to make. Personally, I don't think there will ever be a day when I can tell the difference between them the way I fly. I'm just a sport pilot that likes to hack into some 3D by accident on occasion? And most will not disagree the digitals can be power hogs when compared to an analog of similar capacity.

BUT, if you insist on digital, I've been flying these servo's in 2 gassers. Both sets are in their second plane (one crashed, one just pissed me off), are at the end of their 3rd season now, and I have no regrets regarding them. They've worked flawlessly - but again my demands may be different than others. I'm good if they keep air under my plane when I tell them to pretty much. As you'll see below, I'm into inexpensive (OK, CHEAP!) servos. These have had some comments regarding centering as well, but neither of my sets has left me wondering. I don't notice myself reaching for trim buttons much past the maiden flights?

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...sp?idProduct=2
    Amazingly cheap for a digital of the power range! One would struggle to complain after 3 years for such low costs

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Al
    I agree that most of us, including me, probably cannot tell by flying an analog from a digital. WRT power consumption, I fly LiFe batteries with generous capacity, so I have become less concerned about power draw; most of my planes draw 250-400mAh per 15 min flight, which is admittedly a lot, but when i am carrying 4200-6400 mAh it is not so much of a concern. Were i flying NiMH, digital draw would be a bigger deal of course.

I like to know that my plane is more capable than I am as a pilot, hence strong crisp servos. I like to know that my rifles can shoot more accurately than my eyes will allow, hence endless hours at the reloading bench, etc...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Proteus which jtec muffler did you use in your install??????
    That is exactly the setup I am going to use also but they offer two size cans for the pitts style muffler.
    one is 1.25 the other is 1.50 just curious because that is all i need to start the install.
    Great job by the way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Standing tall and proud!!!!!!

Giant

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Guys
    Pulled the trigger on the R90 tonight. No ship date yet. Still had not decided on her engine (ZDZ90 vs DLE111) but did hear from GP on the cowl size today. It is 9 1/4 wide at the FW, so a DLE 111 with width of over 10", not including plug tips, spark plug wires, etc, simply will not fit. As several have noted, it is a fair bit of weight to put on that airframe as well. The ZDZ is a single cylinder!

I'll have to decide if a DLE55RA or a ZDZ90 will pull her around. Maybe the mintor 75 will come back!
    Anyone have an idea about other 75-90cc twins that might fit?

Im envious, Im still not sure if I have enough space in my hangar or truck for this big bird. My largest is a 73" Sbach with a DLE 30cc. And to fither in the bed of my RAM she needs to go diagonal.

My vote is for DLE55RA, not too heavy but powerful enough.

Congrats WJ
    Keep your wings level
    Club Saito Member #693

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Giant Flyer

Proteus which jtec muffler did you use in your install??????
    That is exactly the setup I am going to use also but they offer two size cans for the pitts style muffler.
    one is 1.25 the other is 1.50 just curious because that is all i need to start the install.
    Great job by the way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Standing tall and proud!!!!!!

Giant
    Giant flyer
    Thanks,I used Jtec Radiowavethe one thats fits the DLE-20, I want to say it's 1.25" dia http://www.jtecrc.com/wraparoundpittsstylemufflers.htm

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I am fortunate to live only 6 miles from the field. Most of my big planes require that the tailgate of my truck is down, with the nose of the plane extending over the tailgate. The R90 will be likewise too long for closed bed transport.

I have been thinking about that new F250 diesel 8' bed

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yeah either the F250 8', or a big ***** trailer
    Keep your wings level
    Club Saito Member #693

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Just to put it out there, I saw a build/review of a 30 size plane with the new DLE 35 rear muffler engine. The muffler box was high enough to conflict with the bottom of the engine box. The reviewer ended up cutting out the bottom of the box to accomodate the muffler. May be something to resolve before ordering for the Revolver 90. Otherwise it seams like a great option for this plane.

This is one healthy thread, with 12 active participants, according to the list at the top. Great example of the comraderie brought about by this hobby.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

S&S
    Agree that there are many potential gotchas here. it is why it would REALLY be nice if GP posted the build manual on line as a pdf, with pics, dimensions, etc. Will the RA fit with the rear exhaust? Will the fuse accomodate a canister?

With bigger planes, and so many options and choices to make, almost every build is a custom build. I was considering the DLE55RA over the DLE55 because it has slightly better performance than the standard DLE55, but i think i am beginning to settle on the ZDZ90.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Either way, it should be a great plane when it is done. I think the muffler is not as close to the crank case on the 55R as the 35R. But I thought the comment might save someone the possibly unfortunate surprise. I look forward to seeing the manual when they make it available.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Guys
    Pulled the trigger on the R90 tonight. No ship date yet. Still had not decided on her engine (ZDZ90 vs DLE111) but did hear from GP on the cowl size today. It is 9 1/4 wide at the FW, so a DLE 111 with width of over 10'', not including plug tips, spark plug wires, etc, simply will not fit. As several have noted, it is a fair bit of weight to put on that airframe as well. The ZDZ is a single cylinder!

I'll have to decide if a DLE55RA or a ZDZ90 will pull her around. Maybe the mintor 75 will come back!
    Anyone have an idea about other 75-90cc twins that might fit?
    Well, that's quite a bit wider than the 50cc Reactor then; measured mine tonite and it is only 7" wide at the back of the cowl. Should fairly easy to fit a standard muffler on a 50cc motor then [8D] Next question: is there a pipe tunnel, or room to make one?
    Crashing my way to being a better pilot!
    Saito Club# 679

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

wjc - If you pulled the "buy" trigger on the Rev 90 it sounds like you're the FIRST! Congrats. Can't wait to hear about it and see pics of you opening the boxes. Am wondering if the DLE 55RA with a tuned pipe would do the trick. Though I doubt the R90 has a tunnel. I've never used a tuned pipe, but I heard they are "peaky", like turbo-charging, and, so, only kick-in after a certain RPM.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Al
    I agree that most of us, including me, probably cannot tell by flying an analog from a digital. WRT power consumption, I fly LiFe batteries with generous capacity, so I have become less concerned about power draw; most of my planes draw 250-400mAh per 15 min flight, which is admittedly a lot, but when i am carrying 4200-6400 mAh it is not so much of a concern. Were i flying NiMH, digital draw would be a bigger deal of course.

I like to know that my plane is more capable than I am as a pilot, hence strong crisp servos. I like to know that my rifles can shoot more accurately than my eyes will allow, hence endless hours at the reloading bench, etc...

I could tell the difference between the analog and digitial the first time I installed one. Very crisp and I don't even look back now. I also use A123 as of just a couple months ago. Are you using redundant batteries and switches or are you using a single LiFe battery with that type of amperage? I like the redundancy on my larger 50cc and up - two batteries, two switches, etc.

If you are using only one battery, I am curious as to how long you have been using that setup?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Regarding batteries, currently have one plane (a profile - 67"OMP Fusion w/DLE 20), with a 5 cell NiMh in each wing. This is the plane that taught me about the brown out potential with this setup (larger digital servos) running everything on a single NiMh battery (as well as the Funtana I crashed because of this). Spent lots of time messing with that issue through it's first season before going to the dual battery setup. I found I could get past the second flight without brownout, into a third, by adding a second set of output wires to the battery and running them through a second switch!

The second plane running the Hextronic servos is my Revolver. It's running everything on a single A123 I built from 2 single cells using 2 sets of output wires from the battery pack going to 2 switches. Bonus there being I can balance charge through the 2 switch's charge ports. After monitoring how many ma's it was using per flying session (3-4 flights) I've found I can run it though 2 typical evening flying sessions on a single charge....staying under half the batteries capacity. BTW, have I told you how much I like flying this plane yet?

One more point. Lessons learned have taught me to insist on large gauge wire everywhere. All servo extensions, switch harnesses, etc. are 22 ga minimum, with 20 ga preferred. -Al

Edit: When I wrote this originally, I was thinking NiMh but writing LiFe. I've changed that to correct above. Apologies if I've managed to confuse anyone - again. -Al

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Luchnia
    I use dual batteries, dual switches, and dual power feeds into the receiver as ahicks states.
    I generally use 22g wire also; I tend not to use extensions, but rather splice solder the necessary length of servo cable into my runs.
    For 50cc size, I like at least dual 2100mAh.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have been monitoring your comments and questions on the new 55cc Revolver. After reading much speculation I thought I would chime in and set a few of the facts straight for you. First of all this plane had the same design goals as the other Revolvers. Make a quick build, good flying airplane and do all you can to keep the price affordable. As with the other Revolvers I think we hit that with this airplane. With a street price of $429.99 I think we have given you a solid value for your money. The kit has a number of impressive features for the money. Carbon fiber wing tube, invisible cowl mounting method (no unsightly screw heads on the outside of the cowl), pre-installed cockpit, pre-installed pilot, fiberglass cowl, fiberglass wheel pants, aluminum landing gear, removable stabs for easy transportation and an aluminum spinner. The airplane was designed to be a sport aerobatic airplane, not a 3D airplane. With a DLE 55 the airplane does very nice snaps, knife-edge, lomcevaks, upright and inverted spins, etc. The plane is also very fast! We clocked the prototype with a stock DLE 55 and an APC 20x12 with a radar gun and an onboard GPS and had speeds of 125 -132 mph. This engine and prop combination pulls the airplane vertical nearly indefinitely. If you intend to bump up all of the throws and try to use it as a 3D airplane you will find that with the DLE 55 you can hover but pulling straight out of the hover is a bit slower than you might want. Landing the airplane is a breeze. Let me directly address some of the comment I have read on line.
    The weight and wing loading: The stated weight of the airplane is real. Our prototypes were less than 20lbs until we set one up on electric. That did bump the weight up but it had no perceptible effect on the performance. The guys who saw the electric conversion at the Watts Over Owatonna electric event and the NEAT Fair will tell you that it was very impressive! Forget about wing loading numbers. This airplane fly’s very light on the wing. It really feels like a much lighter airplane than it is. The stall characteristics are very gentle
    Servos: Someone posted that the Futaba 3305 servos would be insufficient. That is not true. This metal geared, 99 oz/in servo is more than adequate. We used it for all of our testing with no problems. For those of you who wish to spend more money on better grade servo, great! At $32.99 each, those servos are very affordable.
    Color Scheme: Some of you thought the color scheme looked too much like the .40 size. Since all three sizes are the same airplane family we try to keep the same basic look across the line. This one with the orange accent looks quite nice, better than the photos probably represent.
    Larger engines rear exhaust and pipes: We did all of our testing on the DLE 55. As with any airplane if you decide to overpower it throttle management is important. There is no pipe tunnel and though you might be able to fit a tunnel inside you will have to be careful not to compromise the landing gear structure.
    The experienced gasser will love this airplane. The new guy stepping into gas for the first time should strongly consider this model. It requires no special equipment to fly, it is easy to fly, easy to see and is no more complicated than any other four channel model. With the removable wings and stabs, transportation should not be much of a problem.

I am attaching some pictures I took to show you the packaging since some of you were curious about this. These airplanes are expected to be here next week. We really think that this size airplane, at this price and with the reputation of the other Revolvers will sell out pretty quick. If you’re a Revolver guy you might want to get that order placed soon.
    My comments are a bit misplaced on this thread. Maybe someone will begin a new thread on the 55cc Revolver.
    I hope this is helpful!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hf10299.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	52.2 KB 
ID:	1805490   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Up47098.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	50.1 KB 
ID:	1805491   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hm25053.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	29.1 KB 
ID:	1805492   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wp40634.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	36.6 KB 
ID:	1805493   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ju13302.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	24.4 KB 
ID:	1805494  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ar99681.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	24.0 KB 
ID:	1805495   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Km99153.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	22.5 KB 
ID:	1805496  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

JimKim
    This is indeed helpful information.
    As you may know, there is a 50cc Revolver thread, but it is not very active now.

I am happy to have your comments on performance with the DLE55. That kind of performance is pretty much what we might expect from that engine and airframe wt. DLE55 can generally produce 28-30# thrust, so the R90 should have T:W >1.0, but probalby not >1.5.

Thanks for the pictures. The cowl ring is great; the included spinner is great. I have one on order, so am eagerly anticipating getting her into the air.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

JimKim - GREAT information and pic - thanks. If the DLE 55 will pull the Rev 90 at 125 mph - that's ALL I'm looking for, speed-wise! Actually, I'm guessing most of us (me included) have never seen a giant plane go that fast. Anyone? This thing is going to be impressive.

Question - what are the hinges? Material or Robart pin-hinge type? As you know (since you've been following the thread - also good news) many of us feel the material hinges are not sufficient and, so, upgrade. Also - is the landing gear area reinforced? (another weakness of the other models).

Last - Is the red in the Rev 90 the same red as the Rev 59? And you're highlighting it with orange? (Actually, after re-examinig your pics, it looks like the dominant color is orange, then blue, then a light brown color). I do like the new paint scheme. Also really like the cowl-ring!

Last question - you didn't identify yourself as Great Planes, but it seems that you are. Did Great Planes get the idea for a giant Revolver from this thread??

Mike