Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 243 of 310 FirstFirst ... 143193233241242243244245253293 ... LastLast
Results 6,051 to 6,075 of 7750

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Larger Revolver

ORIGINAL: microdon2

The specs \ price combo on this Power HD 1501 servo are impressive, and more than enough for the Rev 70 - even the Rev 90. The issue is what are we getting for this price? If it sounds too good to be true... On the other hand, at this price it still may be worth buying them and adding a spare or two.

I don't think many will argue the Hitecs are a great choice - BUT - if you've an open mind on the subject, after some research you might agree there are alternatives that seem to be working pretty well too? Troy Built themselves are endorsing this 1501 servo - without endorsing the entire Power HD line up?

Another example might be a while back I caught wind of a metal gear servo that a few guys were using (http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...0kg_16sec.html) that's even less money (7.98?). I decided to roll the dice on them (yes I bought an extra one too!), and have now been using (beating on) them for a couple of seasons now in a gas powered profile, without issue! These servos have been through some serious hell. 3 major crashes, and who knows how many "incidents"? Not one stripped gear! Not endorsing them or trying to start a war here, I'm just not that into it. Just sharing something I'm seeing, and the fact these no longer strikes me as something "too good to be true?". All that said, I should mention I'm a sport flyer with no desire to have/need the best available. Functional and durable would be my biggest things....

Going back a few years, this isn't a lot different from the days that had us believing that if it wasn't an O.S. engine (or whatever your favorite was at the time) it was junk. Not worth owning. Then more recently, along comes China with the DLE, RCG, XYZ, and the rest of the alphabet parade with all the new gas power. Yes, there were some duds mixed in with them, but they generally aren't around long. Look what these have done to the cost/interest in radio control, the numbers of guys coming back for another round? That's the same way I'm looking at these servos. They're cheap, and they work. That's good enough for me... FWIW, -Al

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ahicks -

I'm with you - with my limited RC budget I'm always looking for deal, especially buying used planes and engines. And I'm not a precision or 3D flyer (not yet, anyway). So I don't need the top of the line servos. And I do like that TBM is selling these - that indicates at least some level of confidence in the product. And thanks for the link to the HK servos and your good experience with them - that's worth something.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

think i have decided on these. great price plus digitals http://www.troybuiltmodels.com/items/HD-8309TG.html
    Club Saito Member #1
    AMA# 542304

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

No experience with that particular Power HD servo model, and as ahicks implies, there is considerable variability with this brand. i can state from my own personal experience to stay away from the DS-120M. Had them on my first R70 and had 3 of 5 fail within 12 flights.

My foray away from the Hitecs, and I still use Hitecs mostly (7954SH in my R90 and AWExtra300), has been to the Savox line. Torque as good as or better than comparable hitecs, and speed quite a bit better - 2/3 of the time end-to-end of an equivalent hitec (Savox 1256TG vs Hitec 7954SH). Generally about $10-15 less. What one gives up is programmability with the hitecs for centering, speed, etc.

I have Savox 1256TGs on the elevators of my PHP Extra 260 and they have been rock-solid reliable. YMMV of course.

There will always be debate over the digital / analog signal processing. I have gone entirely to digitals for better holding power, but they are a bit more expensive, use more current during flight, and may buzz when at rest on the ground. To each his or her own.

I think the only hard and uncontroversial recommendation for the R70 is that they have a metal gear train and adequate strength. Look up a required torque calculator for control surfaces - there are several on the web - and you will find that the R70 torque recommendations are just about adequate for slow (<50mph) flying with book rates on the control surfaces. Most of us fly 1) faster, and 2) with more rates on the surfaces than 'recommended'. It is remarkable how quickly torque requirements rise with increases in deflection angle and speed. Also, i really never want my servo to be putting out 100% of its torque; i aim for a safety margin of 25-30%. A bit more torque is relatively inexpensive.

If you are thinking about the 150 in-oz class servo, you might consider hitec 5685 - about $46, or the savox 0252 at about $38.

For my R70, 180 in-oz would be a minimum.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

wjc - good to see your as-usual informed weigh-in. btw - I've been working on my flat-spin lately and I'm getting it, but have to admit it's a little scary finding two toggle switches to come out of high rates while still at a safe height. Pretty sure you said you had all high rates tied in to one toggle - is that right? I'm going to look into doing that. Before I was trying it with high rates on just rudder and elevator, but going to high on the ailerons made the difference. It's a pretty manuever when it works. I also like the "washing machine" (I think that's the name - when you climb high, cut throttle, nose down, and do a roll straight down - and high rates really makes that come alive.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: ShuttleAU

Hi All

Clipped a tree coming in to land. The strip is surrounded by scrub and one end has some tall trees. Clipped one with the left wing and the Revolver dropped to the ground where the right wing hit a boulder. The wing tube shattered. You can see the end of the wing tube and the wing dent in one photo. The engine , servos etc areOK.

I now have a new kit and a tail/rudder to nail to the shed wall with a few others.

BC
    Sorry to see tris pictures, but nos I know why you crashed, you have an angry bird as a pilot

Keep your wings level
    Club Saito Member #693

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Mike
    Thanks for the nod. Hope your thanksgiving was great.
    You are correct - i have all my rates on one master switch, so i can pull to low rates with a single switch.
    When you are in the 'washing machine' pull the rudder opposite to the aileron roll, and you will transition into a blender. Very impressive.
    I do love the upright flat spin. A very pretty maneuver.

The R90 is coming along. I'll post some comments and pics in the appropriate thread.

Bill

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Where to look at and purchase the Savox servos? Al, the kHD-1501's do look great for $14... ! Thanks so much for the links. Whatever servos I decide on will be going on a 20cc profile plane I think. I already have some Hitec 645's that I bought 2 years ago and will use on the first 20cc plane. It's amazing how fast progress is made these days and the 645's look a bit dated already. Has anyone had experience with these older analog servos?

Ernie

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'm running 6 of them in my 4 year old 14lb. Syssa powered Giant Sportster, and 4 more (ailerons/elevators) in a 13.5 lb. DLE 30 powered 80" Katana? Pretty popular servo. Lots of them around... but as pointed out there are others that provide the same function for half that price.

My 20cc profile has now been run through a tree after a rather stupid mistake the other day. That's the 4th major crash on these things. The 8.00 Hextronic servos appear to have survived this crash as well? Not sure if I'm going to rebuild it at this point, but if not, those same servos will be going into their 3rd airframe without hesitation! Would do the same with the 645's... -Al

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ernie
    I found a nice selection of Savox at AMain hobbies. There may be other places as well.
    Savox seem to be quality servos, at perhaps 10-15% less than Hitec. They are not bargain basement by any means.
    Bill

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ahicks - you crashing your 20cc Profile sounds like me and my Rev59's - I keep crashing then and re-building them. One of these days I'll know what the heck I'm doing...

wjc - thanks for the blender tip - I'm gonna try that.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: jet22b

BC.
    Sorry to see the pictures of your Large Revolver!! When they die, they go out in a bang. Get back in the air soon!! Is your engine okay??
    Sonny
    aka
    jet22b
    Hi
    Engine seems Ok. I will give a run in a day or so.

New kit alomst finished , control throws and balance yet to do.

BC

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

.... and silly me first learning how to land with a Gentle Lady glider. After many lousy landings I finally had the perfect approach or so I thought. I was so amazed at myself that I was just watching the plane float in, but not where it was going. Big grin on my face until the plane hit a bicycle parking setup. The fuse went clean right through the uprights but ripped the wing off in a nasty way.

Thanks for the servo ideas guys. I'll take a peek at the Savox's at AMain Hobbies. Sounds like my 645's might not be too bad after all. One friend said he didn't think the 645's would center good enough to be used on the elevator and that I'd need a digital. I don't fly pattern or IMAC though.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: SigMan

think i have decided on these. great price plus digitals http://www.troybuiltmodels.com/items/HD-8309TG.html
    I run some of those on my larger planes and they are sick fast on 6 volts. If you are not used to a fast servo use caution One thing is for sure if you use them on ailerons you can get a quick roll out of plane. I fly several planes but one plane I have those on ailerons probably has about 50 flights on it now and no issues so far.

I run Power HD on a lot of my planes along with Hitec and a few JRs. The Power HDs have performed flawlessly and exceeded my expectations for the price range. I run the Power HD 4188s, 9150s, 7150s, 9001s, 8309s, 090Ms, and I think I have some 8307s too.

My Hitecs have performed well also, mostly run the Hitec one on the rudders - I think the model is 7955 or something like that. I cannot remember all the model numbers right now. For the money they do not perform or last any better than the Power HDs. I do have some DS120M Power HDs that have been run in the ground before I got them, but I don't use those on anything as there were some issues as some have posted. I did not want to take a chance with them.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ahicks - you crashing your 20cc Profile sounds like me and my Rev59's - I keep crashing then and re-building them. One of these days I'll know what the heck I'm doing...
    Screwing around, low speed (high alpha), inverted, over the far side of the field. Far side kind of drops off with a lot of scrub - edge of the woods stuff? Well the stupid thing ran out of gas at a really bad time. Normally that's not too big a deal, but over there I spent way too much time in the "what the H**L, how am I gonna get out of this?" mode. I dove for airspeed and rolled right side up just in time to hit a tree. Man, do I hate that noise!! ... crap! If I had rolled just 90 degrees and turned towards me I'd have been fine. This 3D learning is fun, but it sure can be frustrating!

So I used that as an excuse to pick up my first electric. A 43" EPP foam profile (1100mm Yak 55 by Tech One). Second time out with that earlier this week, at a park about a block away from me, and I found ANOTHER tree!! Hit that at a pretty good clip flying well after sunset (STUPID!). This time had to climb a little for it (all 6'2"/300lbs/62 years old me!) - BUT - easy tree and it was retrieved with NO damage. Not a dent. Still sorting this thing out (travels, dual rates, expo, etc.) and so far, the biggest thing to get used to is the complete lack of any momentum! It's just less than 2lbs. all up. For instance when you flair expecting it to coast a little? It doesn't. It'll just stop about 5" off the ground. That's cost me a couple props, but getting better at anticipating that. High alpha stuff, KE stuff, already starting to feel right at home. Slow and close in easier to get used to than I thought. 3 times out with it, not even all done sorting it out, and I can see where this thing's gonna hook me already. Great flying and CHEAP! The airframe itself was like 51.00, and if hitting that tree is any indication, it's SUPER durable!

Not planning on leaving gas any time soon, but the brave stuff that's been getting closer and closer to ground level lately, will be well rehearsed with something like this electric before I try it with gas again.

Leading edges and forward ribs pretty well trashed in both wings of the Fusion. I think Santa might be bringing me a Mojo 65? ;^)

Pretty convinced I'll never really know what I'm doing, but having a grand time anyway!

Later, -Al

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ahicks, I recently started flying a 48" EPP foam Edge, with similar results. Flies great and is perfect for getting used to flying under adverse attitude. But like you, I am still learning the landing routine. After 8 or 9 flights I have had to reinstall the gear 3 or 4 times after some unexpectedly abrupt landings, having not kept the the prop spinning on flair.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Fellahs,

Picked up my Revolver yesterday. It was either going to be the new Revolver 55cc, or the .60 size, but I settled on the .60 size.

I'm currently using an O.S. 1.20AX in both my 70" Hangar 9 Ultra Stik and my Hangar 9 Pulse 125. The 1.20 turned out to be a great engine combination for both of these planes. I also had to beef up the firewall on both planes to handle the extra torque, and do some other strenghtening.

The Ultra Stik and Pulse 125 are just about the same weight and size as the .60 size Revolver, so I'm hoping the 1.20 will work out equally as well in the Revolver.

The pics are of my Pulse 125 with the 1.20.

Joe M.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zx71891.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	114.1 KB 
ID:	1824893   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bw72544.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	107.0 KB 
ID:	1824894  
    Joe Mamma

There\'s no such thing as gravity.........the earth sucks !!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Joe
    I had exactly that engine in my R70#1; i think you will find it a great combination, with spirited performance.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Joe -

I flew my Rev 70 \ OS 120 4s before work this morning (getting cold here in NY - thank goodness for my Raydiowarm). Great combination - good speed and vertical. I'd imagine the 120 AX 2s will be even faster.

I DO love the way this plane flies. I also enjoy when my latest move - the ultra-slow speed, very low (3-4') inverted pass impresses onlookers (the only onlookers I had this morning were geese)). This plane is SO stable, upright and inverted.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey Microdon2, what is your Raydiowarm? Sounds comfy in cold weather..... I might need that here in the NW.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: wjcalhoun

Joe
    I had exactly that engine in my R70#1; i think you will find it a great combination, with spirited performance.
    I haven't had a bad O.S. glow engine yet ! Especially my two 1.20AX's. Very easy to start and very reliable. I'd have to look at my log books, but I believe I have a total of over 200 flights each on both my 1.20AX equipped Ultra Stik and Pulse 125. They seem to run better each time I fire them up.

Joe M.
    Joe Mamma

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: JoeMamma

ORIGINAL: wjcalhoun

Joe
    I haven't had a bad O.S. glow engine yet ! Especially my two 1.20AX's. Very easy to start and very reliable. I'd have to look at my log books, but I believe I have a total of over 200 flights each on both my 1.20AX equipped Ultra Stik and Pulse 125. They seem to run better each time I fire them up.

Joe M.
    He Joe M.
    I found out the older the OS engine is, the better they run!!! I just change the front and rear bearing on my OS 91 and 1.20 four stroke, ( they did not need to be re-place ), but I did it anyway!!

Ernie Misner,
    I have one of those cover and they are good in cold weather. It's a cover that fit over your tx and hand to try to keep your finger warm. You can always find them on eBay. That where I found mine!!

microden,
    The next time you go flying with your Raydiowarm, take one of the pocket hand warmer and place it inside the Raydiowarm and your hand will be nice and warm!!!

Sonny
    aka
    jet22b
    Spitfire Brotherhood #12
    P-40 Brotherhood #52
    Great Planes Citabria DLE 35RA CC

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Joe -

(getting cold here in NY - thank goodness for my Raydiowarm). .
    Speaking of cold, a number of club members braved some 25-30 degree morning temps in the past two weeks. A few of the engines simply failed to fire up. It has to do with the glow fuel not being easily combustable when cylinder head temps are below 30 degrees.

We are fortunate to have electricity at our club field, so the next day two of us brought along heat guns. Holding the heat gun about 3-4 inches above the aluminum cylinder head, it would warm up the head to about 90-100 degrees in about 30 seconds. Very easy starts now.

Radiowarm ? I'm one of the people that can't have anything on my hands or fingers when flying. Simply just can't used to it. Consequently, my fingers start to turn blue and go numb after a few flights.

Joe M.
    Joe Mamma

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ernie - Some links to the Raydiowarm. Looks to be UK based (I've owned mine for a few years and I can't remember where I ordered it from). But it was about $75 US (or 49 Quid). I love it. It keeps the wind out and some heat in, though I do still wear light fingerless gloves, and put on other gloves over that when I'm working on the plane. My fingers sometimes still start to get cold after 6-8 mins, but it's manageable (can still feel them and control the plane), and that's about as long as my flights are, anyway. I could not do winter flying without my Raydiowarm.

http://www.raydiowarm.com/new_mitts.htm

http://www.revmod.co.uk/Raydiowarm/

Sonny - good idea about the pocket warmers (I actually have some and forgot to put them in my field bag!) Right now I put my hands in my pants pockets to warm up, but the pocket warmers will definitely help on those colder, 15 deg days.

Mike

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well, for you guys that have two R-70's, love them and think it may be over kill, I just finished my second one with the DLE-20 installation.
    My first R-70 is running a Saito .91.

Have been sitting around thinking about my next project and guess what ? Perhaps more over kill, maybe a third Revolver ! Have been thinking about another R-70 with another DLE-20. Or an R-70 with an OS GT 22. Finally a R-59 with maybe an OS .75.

You ask, why another Revolver ? Well, just go back and read many of the postings here. Just about all of them state that it is a fun and enjoyable plane to fly. If so, then why not, right ?

Decisions, decisions, so many to make when you are retired and bored.