Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Larger Revolver

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Larger Revolver

Old 12-31-2012, 06:19 PM
orthobird
My Feedback: (1)

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Default RE: Larger Revolver

happy new year everybody!!!!
Old 01-01-2013, 07:07 AM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A question for you guys that run the DLE 20cc on your Rev 70s - I am moving from glow to gas on most of my planes except a couple for fun flies and setting up this next Rev 70 with a DLE 20cc instead of glow. Are you guys running the anti vibration engine mounts or the stock mounts on your DLE 20? I have an anti-vibe mount NIB laying on the shelf and was thinking of using that instead of the stock mount.

Old 01-01-2013, 07:30 AM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Stock mounts. I've seen no downside to it. Actually, with the foam wing, there's no buzzing/resonance from the plane at all? Too, for acro style flying/CG purposes you need to try to keep that front end as light as you can. For instance, I even ended up tossing the stock spinner (really heavy) in favor of one for an elec? The Dubro anti vibe are known for cracking as well?
Old 01-01-2013, 11:24 AM
Granpooba
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: RoyR

One more problem to report with my Revolver. THe one with the bad covering job, the misaligned aileron servo cutout, the tight fitting wing tube, the missing alignment pins on one wing and the alignment pins that would not go in the hole on the other wing.

I had kept the cowl in the plastic bag to prevent scratching. I took it out to trial fit on the fuselage. First it would not go around the fuse as the top was flat. When I forced it to go on there is a large dent on the top plus I noticed a small crack on the side.

I just added this problem to my mounting list and sent it to Great Planes. Will see what they say tomorrow.

I also had a dent in the top of my cowling. Though it was not as bad as the one pictured for your model. I was able to epoxy a lite peice of wood to flatten out the dent and now you can never tell that it had a dent.

Sounds though like you have a real lemon on your hands. Wash you hands of it and send it back. PRONTO ! []
Old 01-01-2013, 11:36 AM
wjcalhoun

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Luchnia
I agree with ahicks. Stock mount. The DLE20 with a blade and hub balanced prop does not really vibrate that much.
It really is just about a perfect combination. Dual elevator servos aft, and DLE20 up front, and the CG is just right for me, about 1/2" behind the book.
Old 01-01-2013, 12:48 PM
microdon2
My Feedback: (47)

Stock mount here, too. Though I think I had to remove the upper cross-bars to make room for the carb (haven't rebuilt it yet) and get the right spacing between the cowl and the spinner plate.
Old 01-01-2013, 02:37 PM
JoeMamma

One more problem to report with my Revolver. THe one with the bad covering job, the misaligned aileron servo cutout, the tight fitting wing tube, the missing alignment pins on one wing and the alignment pins that would not go in the hole on the other wing.

I had kept the cowl in the plastic bag to prevent scratching. I took it out to trial fit on the fuselage. First it would not go around the fuse as the top was flat. When I forced it to go on there is a large dent on the top plus I noticed a small crack on the side.

I just added this problem to my mounting list and sent it to Great Planes. Will see what they say tomorrow.

Hi Roy,

Don't you just love that great Chinese quality.[:'(][:'(] Appears yours was assembled by a 5-year-old factory worker instead of the normal 8-year-old.

Good luck on your replacement Revolver. Both Tower and Great Planes have been fairly good to me when I've got problems.

Joe M.
Old 01-01-2013, 04:57 PM
Luchnia

Thanks for the info on the mount - stock it is
Old 01-04-2013, 03:32 PM
Granpooba

This info scared me, as I had another Rev70 on order from Tower. Well, it arrived today and I tore right into the boxes, thinking that I may have to send this one back. Well, no way ! I checked everything out, cowling, wing pins, covering, etc. I will have to admit that this is one of the best Revolvers I have seen thus far. Keep in mind that this will be my 3 rd. Rev 70 and I am still working on my Rev 59. The covering on my Rev 59 was so bad that I had to laugh at it, but with the heat gun and iron, it now is almost flawless. This new Rev 70 has a few wrinkles in the covering, but nothing like I have seen on many other ARF's. Maybe Great Planes finally caught up with their quality control complaints.

Will not be assembling the Rev 70 for yet a few weeks, but am still considering the OS GT 22 for power. Others have suggested another DLE-20 or a Minitor, but I keep coming back to the OS 22.

Any other enigne opinions out there ?
Old 01-04-2013, 03:37 PM
Ernie Misner

Large wrinkles have a way of coming back when you take it out into the sun. I think it helps to put a small pin hole in the center of a large wrinkle before ironing it down.
Old 01-04-2013, 05:55 PM
wjcalhoun

Gran:
The OS is a strong engine; have not really seen comparative data with the DLE20.
I had thought of a Mintor22 as well, but i'm concerned about the static on the forums about lack of compression, ring problems, etc.

What about an MVVS 26?

Old 01-04-2013, 06:05 PM
microdon2

Or a YS 140? (I just so happen to have one lying around...)
Old 01-05-2013, 12:47 PM
Granpooba

ORIGINAL: wjcalhoun

Gran:
The OS is a strong engine; have not really seen comparative data with the DLE20.
I had thought of a Mintor22 as well, but i'm concerned about the static on the forums about lack of compression, ring problems, etc.

What about an MVVS 26?

Have also looked into the MVVS. Also have considered a couple of other engines, but keep coming back to that darn OS 22. Trouble is, can hardly find any real info on the engine. Seems like not to many folks are running them and I think that it is due to the price. Can purchase other engines in the $250.00 range, thus a lot of folks do not want to spend the $409.00 for the OS. But when you add a Pitts style muffler to the DLE for about an extra $70.00, then you are getting a little closer to the OS price range.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:09 PM
microdon2

I really like the MVVS 35 I have. A very reliable, smooth-running engine. I wonder how they are in the 20cc range.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:29 AM
RoyR

I had one more setback with getting my Revolver replaced. I have been corresponding with Great Planes Support. They said to send in the wings and cowl for replacement, (as I have already glued the stabilizer and rudder on the fuselage. Otherwise I would have sent the whole airplane.
The address was to "Hobby Services" So I asked Support if I needed a case number or to send any information with the wings. They said I didn't need to send anything with them. Today I got a letter from Hobby Services asking why I sent them the wings and cowl, also some sort of invoice saying I owed postage. (I paid the postage myself when I sent it)
So I have sent them the entire email correspondence I had with Support and told them I needed replacements. We will see what happens now. It seems their customer support and the place that does the warranty are two different things.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:33 AM
Luchnia

I had one more setback with getting my Revolver replaced. I have been corresponding with Great Planes Support. They said to send in the wings and cowl for replacement, (as I have already glued the stabilizer and rudder on the fuselage. Otherwise I would have sent the whole airplane.
The address was to ''Hobby Services'' So I asked Support if I needed a case number or to send any information with the wings. They said I didn't need to send anything with them. Today I got a letter from Hobby Services asking why I sent them the wings and cowl, also some sort of invoice saying I owed postage. (I paid the postage myself when I sent it)
So I have sent them the entire email correspondence I had with Support and told them I needed replacements. We will see what happens now. It seems their customer support and the place that does the warranty are two different things.
I had a Revolver 70 in a box that picked up from a guy that just bought it from TH. After reading some of the post about wrinkles and so forth, I thought I better pull it out of the box and go over it with a fine tooth comb.

For the most part, it is decent except I was surprised at the wrinkles in the wings, rudder, and elevator. I took the heat gun and can fix most of them without too much problem, yet I am surprised at the number of wrinkles. A few of them will need more work to get taken care of and some will not completely come out. The good thing is they are in areas that won't affect the looks of the plane.

Also the wing alignment pins are not the best at all, but will work with some adjusting all except one of them is pretty bad and may need to be removed and re-aligned. One of the ailerons is rubbing and will have to be fixed. Nothing I cannot fix, but the quality control must have fell through the bottom with GP lately because this ARF just arrived a couple weeks ago. The wing tube was really tight and took some work, but I don't mind that. I would rather have tight than a bad loose tube.

At least the canopy on this one fits good and does not have that huge gap at the back of it. The fuselage looks very nice, cowl is good, wheel pants look good too. If GP is going to send these planes out with shoddy workmanship, they need to consider discounting the price to cover our additional labor [X(]

If you have these in a box, I would strongly advise looking them over to make sure they are ok in case you need to send something back.
Old 01-17-2013, 04:43 PM
RoyR

I am the one that had the problem with the wings and cowl on my Revolver. I sent the wings and cowl back, having to pay the postage myself.
Today I got the replacement wings and cowl. The cowl seems fine, although I haven't tried to fit it on the fuselage yet.
The wings were wrinkled, but not as bad as the first ones. I was able to iron it fairly well. I went to put the servos in the wing and found I had the same problem. The cutout for the servo on the left wing is over 1/2 inch farther inboard than the right. Therefore the aileron control horn will not line up on the plywood reinforcement on the left aileron. I went ahead and tried to put the wings on the fuselage. The wing tube is too tight on both and I will have to sand them some to get the wing tube to slide completely in the wings. The alignment pins on both wings will not fit in the holes in the fuselage. At least both wings had alignment pins plus they sent 4 extra pins. lol

However, I am not going to send these back. I will just have to do some modifications to make them work. I reported this to Great Planes to let them know I was disappointed. This is going to make me think before ordering another Great Planes. If I do ever get another I am going over it with a fine tooth comb and if there is any problem I will send it back for a refund. There is no reason to have to put up with this in a plane that expensive.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:33 PM
microdon2

Roy R - I know you're probably getting sick of dealing with TH on this, but it might be worth a shot to tell them that you want another set - a GOOD set - of wings - and that they should actually CHECK them before sending them to you! I do like TH, but sending defective material to correct defective material is really shoddy - they should be ashamed of that. And I think you deserve a good set of wings. Besides - not only will it make you feel better, you'll have an extra set of wings (your current ones) that are easily fixable. And - if you fly anything like me - you'll need them eventually....

Old 01-17-2013, 09:10 PM
Ernie Misner

Hopefully these issues will be long forgotten soon. What engine Roy?
Old 01-17-2013, 10:04 PM
lopflyers
My Feedback: (12)

Lucky me, mine was/still is purrfect
Old 01-18-2013, 10:25 AM
VictoryRoll
My Feedback: (2)

Hi RoyR,

I am the one the had the misaligned wing pins, wrinkled plane, very, very, very tight fit on wing tube, and a vareity of other problems; see my posts in the 240 - 260 page area (I think). I was formerly known as "fishingships"
I too sent back my plane, only I had not done any work on, just did "dry-fit" and found the wing alignment pins mis-aligned! I was not going to mess with them for two reasons; 1st & foremost, you will have to really make sure you keep your incidence = to mfr.'s, not the easiest task but doable, 2ndly, I just did not believe I should be making repairs/adjustments, etc., to plane that has mfg. defects. After all, they warranty their planes (and any of their items, free from mfrs. defects.

Now, onto my recent receipt of a whole new plane. It too has problems. I had the canopy fit issue. That is something that I can live with, as they just did not properly align the dowels in the front of the canopy, to the elongated hole in the firewall. I already fixed that by just making the hole a bit longer (vertically) with a round "hole" file.
More upsetting is that I have the same problem as you with the wing-set servo bays. The distance from the root to the servo opening is "almost" 3/4" longer on one side than the other. I called GP, as I was done dealing with any intermediary company, and the fellow there was very nice, very helpful and completely understood my issue(s). I expect to get a new wing-set in the next week or so. We'll see what this one looks like ! I did speak with him about ensuring that the wing-set had the proper (equal) distance on both wing-halves, but they are not necessarily in the habit of checking every piece of stock that they release. I can somewhat sympathize with that, BUT, if I get this new wing-set and it has same issue or alignment issues, I will ask for them to do just that, or I want a full refund, as I am not going to mess with this any longer... I just don't have the time to go around in circles.

I do not think you, or I, should need to correct mfrs. defects and I would caution you greatly, not to file anything, incl wings, fuse and wing tube. Just note the issues and call them again.

I too am both surprised and disappointed in GP. I have bought many of their ARF's and supplies, etc. and have not seen such shoddy workmanship in my life. They should suspend the delivery of this plane until they get their mfg. facilty on track. I told the fellow I spoke with that they are getting bashed in this forum and they may want to review the issues. Who knows whether they will or not.... I expect they will as it is bad press.

As I said, there are other issues, but those are small enough that it isn't worth mentioning, and they are fixable.

If you wish to see photos of my latest Revolver, as I unpacked and measured it, I can post for your viewing pleasure. Just let me know.

My last question to other "Larger Revolver" readers/subscribers is this: Are all of you modifying the fuse to landing gear to better support the LG from being ripped out, as I have read in previous posts here?

Thanks all,

Don

Old 01-18-2013, 01:34 PM
microdon2

Don - I don't think everyone is modifying the main LG area, but many are. And I'd guess the rest (who read this thread, anyway) are at least reinforcing.

And if they aren't yet they'll start right after that first painful "gear-ripping-out-and-wheelpants-punching-through-the-wings" episode.

Oh, to be young again.....
Old 01-18-2013, 04:32 PM
Luchnia

ORIGINAL: microdon2

Don - I don't think everyone is modifying the main LG area, but many are. And I'd guess the rest (who read this thread, anyway) are at least reinforcing.

And if they aren't yet they'll start right after that first painful ''gear-ripping-out-and-wheelpants-punching-through-the-wings'' episode.

Oh, to be young again.....
I am one of the guys that run the stock gear, except I did beef up the LG area, yet not all that much - mostly epoxy for strength. The only other thing on the LG I do is run a flat aluminum plate accross the bottom of the gear just under the bolt heads. I have not had any major issues with the landing gear at all. I think the plane looks so nice with the factory gear.

I don't know how the gear will do on this new one I plan to build. I have taken it out of the box and looked it over. Had many, many wrinkles, but nothing that will get me too much of an issue. I was thinking about putting a custom design on this one anyway just to be different.

It did have misaligned wing pins. Workable but one is off too much and won't fit. What is up with these bad wing pin alignments? One wing will go in and the other will need one pin worked on. The only thing I have not done is measure the servo hole and I plan to do that tomorrow since everyone is having issues and now I am concerned.

If the servo hole is off then that is one more set of wings that is messed up from GP. I will know tomorrow once I check it out. I agree with the other poster that said GP needs to stop and get this corrected. This has been one of their best planes ever made and this will quickly send Rev 70 sales down the tubes.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:35 PM
wjcalhoun

Don:
I think if you land on a paved surface, and have your setup tuned for a slow idle, and flare well each time, that you will likely be ok WITHOUT reinforcement.

If however, you land on grass, particularly southern, tough field grass, or you land fast, or you occasionally have a 'firm' landing, you will likely experience what microdon says - fractured main LG plate with the consequences thereof. My landings are MUCH less exciting than they used to be, but even so, i tore out the main LG when my R70 ran over a torn up section of the (southern) grass runway caused by feral pigs.

Your choice I think. Fly with a few more ounces as prevention, or repair as needed.

Old 01-19-2013, 07:51 AM
Luchnia

Well I measured the servo boxes on the wings and added to the pin alignment problems, sure enough they are off. I will get some pics to send out to TH or GP.

TH will be receiving a call first (since the plane was purchased from them) for replacement wings and hopefully they will make sure they are right before sending them out.

GP must have sent a reasonably large shipment out with all these issues. Starting to look more like 100 dollar planes from CMP or Nitromodels [X(]

Update: I was able to get the wings to work after some manipulation. One pin was worse than the others so really working with aligning the hole on the fuselage was the deal to get it to work. After aligning the wings and then mounting them they were not off much at all as far as overall alignment.

The servo boxes are off about 3/4 of an inch and one is a tad crooked. I don't think it is nearly as bad as the other poster had. I do think this is fixable when installing the wooden blocks for the servo to mount on. You just have to change the block alignment to compensate.

I have to think about whether or not I will call TH. One thing on this particular plane is that the fuse is nicely done and extra epoxy on the motor mount area and covering on the fuse is good too. Wings is another story. I was able to get most of the wrinkles out, but wow...that was a lot more than normal!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.