Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Larger Revolver

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Larger Revolver

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 05:37 AM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Larger Revolver

ORIGINAL: orthobird

seems this thread is deteriorating and becoming a bashing of the beloved plane we all love. but it is a shame they have sold us this plane with all these problems. i bet if i go to my garage and do the wing measurements of servo bay to root, they will probably be off too. it is just that most of us did not take note of this. anyone dare me to go and see.
i flew her again on Sunday and she is a beauty. I got her tuned better now, and when i do inverted flight, she needs very little down elevator to keep her straight. doing rudder turns also is fun. her flying capabilities are great, and she rolls awesome.
I think the problem is that some servo bays are way off. Being off a small amount and still getting the horn to fit the reinforcement block is no big deal and no one would probably care at all. My first Rev 70 was off. I know I don't care if an aileron servo bay is off, but I don't want it off so far is is not manageable.

I don't think any of us are really bashing the Rev 70, but stating facts about our experiences so that others are forewarned and make sure they get what they paid for. We certainly want to make GP aware and give them a chance to get the problems sorted out. Happy flying!
Old 02-05-2013, 07:05 AM
RoyR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: orthobird

seems this thread is deteriorating and becoming a bashing of the beloved plane we all love. but it is a shame they have sold us this plane with all these problems. i bet if i go to my garage and do the wing measurements of servo bay to root, they will probably be off too. it is just that most of us did not take note of this. anyone dare me to go and see.
i flew her again on Sunday and she is a beauty. I got her tuned better now, and when i do inverted flight, she needs very little down elevator to keep her straight. doing rudder turns also is fun. her flying capabilities are great, and she rolls awesome.

I disagree that this is becoming a bashing of the plane. It is informing people that there is a problem with the quality of the kit. No one is saying anything bad about the airplane in general. In fact everyone has been straight forward and giving compliments to the service department for being so quick to respond and try to make things right, plus everyone who has the Revolver flying seems pleased with the performance.
As for the servo cutout, I noticed the problem when my linkage did NOT align with the aileron support. No nit picking there. It either fits or it doesn't The second set of wings were the same. I had to modify my linkage to make it fit.
To receive an obviously faulty kit and just say, 'Oh, that's OK, it's no big deal.' is cheating the next generation of Revolver buyers, as nothing will be corrected if no one says anything. Also, who would have thought your landing gear would just pop off on a soft landing when you try to turn? Reading it here I was forewarned. Plus I can Honestly say the first set of wings had more wrinkles than ANY ARF I have Ever bought at any price. The second set was not that bad, but close, and the wrinkles keep returning.
To me if the wings are on back order, that is a good deal for the future. It means people are noticing the construction is inferior, and demanding it be made good. If there had not been a problem there would not be a shortage.

So there is a big difference between: "bashing" something because you don't like the way it looks or the way it flies or it's something you personally disapprove of, and stating an obvious problem that affects everyone.

and instead of this thread deteriorating, it will probably result in getting a better quality kit out of Great Planes.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:22 AM
RoyR

And on another note:
I mentioned I have put electric in mine. I am also new with electrics. After playing with props I have one that really makes the Revolver scoot. (I use a 17X10 on an EMP 5065 motor) I can also start a vertical climb at half throttle and when I add full power it accelerates as it climbs straight up.
I still don’t know what is up with the throws. I am flying with full rates, as given in the instructions, and have no problem with over controlling. Low rates are mushy even at high speed.
It also will not snap without using aileron. (using only rudder and elevator) Perhaps I can move the CG back a little for that.
But I only have around 5 flights on it, I’m still getting the feel.

Yes, it’s a fun airplane.
I don’t do 3D, many so called “Sport planes†fly more like trainers. The revolver seems to fit the bill for the type flying I like to do.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:54 AM
microdon2
My Feedback: (47)

Roy R - Well said. Completely agree that we're not bashing the Revolver - we're addressing QC issues about a plane we all seem to love. To me that's only a good thing - it shows we care! If anything I think we're all surprized and dissapointed that GP is letting these problems through - but that's because we've come to expect high quality and value with this plane. We don't want to see those deteriorate.

On your snap remark - are you SUPPOSED to be able to to a snap roll without ailerons?
Old 02-05-2013, 09:32 AM
VictoryRoll
My Feedback: (2)

Exactly, RoyR.... Since I was the last person to post an issue using a scanned copy of the notice I received on 02/04/13, I cannot understand that one wouldn't see that NOW others (i.e. new buyers), could/should verify if they have this issue, along with a host of others issues that I and others have previously posted, they now will have a better idea of what could be wrong and what the circumstances are that surround trying to get a wingset that is correct, Meaning, you'll have a wait.
I do not see this thread leaning towards a GP/Revolver bashing party. In fact the opposite is true. We are just trying to notify others with information, I don't think this is the ONLY thread that has aircraft problems posted and discussed until closure is met. I know for me, reading this thread forewarned me about the landing gear issue. It obviously did not stop me from buying the plane, but most importantly, the discussion/posts provided some solutions to the problem.... that is what we are trying to do here as well. We are simply trying to describe facts, not fiction. That is certainly important to some of us, at least. No harm in that.

@Ortho.... Please do post pics of your wingroot to servo bay dimensions... it would be interesting to note if they are different, is there any loss or gain. If yours are off too, maybe you and another person in this thread (with identical/correct dimensions) could compare notes on the performance in normal flight and aerobatics....???? Anyway, it would be greatly appreciated if you could post the pics and to see your setup.

Thanks to all.

Don

Old 02-05-2013, 09:34 AM
RoyR

ORIGINAL: microdon2

Roy R - Well said. Completely agree that we're not bashing the Revolver - we're addressing QC issues about a plane we all seem to love. To me that's only a good thing - it shows we care! If anything I think we're all surprized and dissapointed that GP is letting these problems through - but that's because we've come to expect high quality and value with this plane. We don't want to see those deteriorate.

On your snap remark - are you SUPPOSED to be able to to a snap roll without ailerons?
The first snap roll I ever did was inside a Citabria, back in the 60s when I was in the Army flying with an 'Old Time' stunt pilot. He explained the aerodynamics and a snap roll is rudder and Elevator only. (here is a pretty good description of how it works: http://www.popularmechanics.com/outd...-a-stunt-plane)

That's the way standard snaps are done. When I began flying models I found out that many will not snap without aileron assistance. If it is a stable flyer, it won't snap with Rudder and elevator alone. However many of the sport planes will. So I will always try to get them to snap without ailerons first. (I guess being a pilot that's the purist in me) The Revolver is a Sport plane more than aerobatic. It has some built in stability in that there is a slight dihedral in the wings, and the airfoil is semi-semetrical. Others that are scale, like Yaks, Edge, etc. will do a great snap roll without ailerons. OF course when you get into it more than I do, with outside inverted snaps, or whatever, the ailerons help get the desired results.

When I flew for a living everything had to be precise, by the book and within limitations. I guess that's why I like sports flying RCs. When I make a pattern I don't know what I will do next until I get ready to do it. If my snaps end up inverted, or in a knife edge, no one cares except me. The only one I have to please is myself. If I want it perfect, then I will be the one to decide to work on it. If not, I just love boring holes in the sky too.
Old 02-06-2013, 05:28 PM
orthobird
My Feedback: (1)

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

ORIGINAL: microdon2

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl29064.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	351.5 KB
ID:	1848983  
Old 02-07-2013, 06:06 AM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Update on my Rev 70 wings:

I was wondering where my wing blanks were so I emailed GP support and they said that they found a blemish on one of them and rather than send them out they decided to send me a new complete wing set. They sad they had not gotten them out as fast as they would have liked, but the crazy thing is they came yesterday evening. Wow...my hat is off to GP support!

I unboxed the wings and started the "once over" to check everything. I found the servo bays off slightly about 3/8 of an inch, but very well aligned with the reinforcement block, the same measurements from leading edge to trailing edge, and not crooked like some were getting out (like the wings that came with the plane). Even if they were off an inch is not a big deal at all as long as everything lines up.

Next, I checked for wrinkles and these are pristine and not like the ones that came with the plane that were full of wrinkles. Next I checked the alignment pins and they are nicely done and now I should not have to "modify" my new Rev 70 to fit the wings and put the plane together!

The thing is that even if the new wings would have been bad, I know that GP will take care of it. GP certainly has great service and I believe should be noted. Kudos to GP support!

Old 02-14-2013, 10:11 AM
VictoryRoll

@Orthobird..... What a great looking plane. A couple of questions, if you could help me out (others... plz feel free to chime in.... esp. on final weight with your engine size/model) Greatly appreciate it.

1. Did you measure the distance from wing root to servo bay (cutout) on both sides for equal dims, by chance? Is there an offset on yours too?
2. Seeing your setup (I am guessing a Saito 1.25 4S or so?), what is the final weight?
3. Which Control armas on the control surfaces did you go with?

Thanks so much in advance.

Don

P.S. I am awaiting a whole new plane as the wingsets are in delay (I expect they must be fixing tooling/setup). I will keep you informed when I get her.

Old 02-15-2013, 06:06 AM
RoyR

Well, another letter in favor of the customer service.
They have offered to give me credit that I paid to ship the wings back.

The manufacture may be going through a glitch with the Revolvers, but customer service is really trying to make it right.
Old 02-15-2013, 06:15 AM
wjcalhoun

Don:
My all up dry weight for my R70 / DLE20 is 9#11oz. I have no issues with her flight performance due to wing loading. I have S/L speed of 109 mph (by GPS) propped at 14x12. My aileron servo bays are within 1/2" of each other, and line up with the reinforcement on the aileron.

I used standard nylon control horns, but as they age and wear, I will replace them with dubro metal horns. The nylon holds up, but obviously with 4-8# of force on the control surface, it flexes. I think metal or rigid phenolic are better choices for this airframe.
Old 02-15-2013, 01:13 PM
VictoryRoll

@wjc: Thanks Bill ! That's a great weight... mo wonder she's fast !
Old 02-15-2013, 01:14 PM
VictoryRoll

@wjc: Thanks Bill! That's a great weight ! No wonder she's fast !
Old 02-16-2013, 02:21 PM
silver.kiwi

For those needing a wing panel (or two) I have some spares that I have posted here in the Buy & Sell section. I have 2 right wings and1 left. They are all serviceable and will keep you flying but the underside of all of them have very minor cosmetic damage from the collapsing landing gear that is common on this plane. I have posted pictures of them with the add. I too am waiting for other parts from Tower. It must be the VERY slow boat from China.
Old 02-17-2013, 04:28 PM
ICEM@N

Wlcajoun .... today , I flew the Rev 70 again , with a APC 15x8 , and the manual CG settings ....

IT FLEW LIKE A ROCKET !!!!!!!!!!!!! AWSOME !!!!!!!

no trimmimng , no nothing , just take-off and comands ... and a wonderfull fly-by !!!

next weekend i will make a video for all my friends here in the forum that help me make it happen , with the mods , the engine installation , the rear servos mods , the pull-pull system , and the setup !!! I do not forgot any of you !!! and I remember all off you when I land it !!! Just like a fast breeze !!

It could't fly more perfect !!

Thanks , all off you !

need to freeze , and sleep
Old 02-17-2013, 06:34 PM
VictoryRoll

ICEM@N:  Count me one as totally looking forward to your next post !  Sounds great !
Old 02-18-2013, 05:46 AM
wjcalhoun

ICE
Glad it flew well for you. You have a great combination, and will enjoy it I'm sure. As you get comfortable with her, propping her at 14x10 might be interesting!
Old 02-20-2013, 04:57 PM
frankeldan

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow.. This thread is up to 259 pages... Haven't posted in a while here. Didn't get much flying time on the revolver last season due to landing gear issues. My landing gear beef up job back on page 3 of this thread worked for a while, but like many of us the glue is very weak in this area. I had someone fix my gear for me and the same thing happened again. This time he built a new box that slides into the fuse and glued. Can't wait to try it once our season starts for 2013. Still got a couple ft of snow on the ground in CT.
I have lots of planes and this is still one of my favorites for general sport flying.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:27 PM
microdon2

wjc - I finally got back to rebuilding my Rev 70 \ DLE 20. Just about done with the wings and tail. Then putting the gear on, interal servos, etc, then the engine. I can almost do this build in my sleep at this point. After this is done I'll start rebuilding a Rev 59 \ OS 914s.

Icemon - congrats on your flights. "It couldn't fly more perfect !!" - now THAT's a good review!
Old 02-20-2013, 09:57 PM
ICEM@N

Tks Microdon !!!
Old 02-21-2013, 04:22 AM
wjcalhoun

Mike:
When you finish, if you lived in the south, you could fly immediately. Alas, you will have snow!

Old 02-21-2013, 04:46 AM
microdon2

wjc - I love flying in snow. Have a new set of skis just waiting for the Rev 70 \ DLE 20.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl28459.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	1854552   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr55359.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	1854553   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb76347.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	1854554  
Old 02-22-2013, 05:56 AM
Granpooba
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, procrastinated long enough and bit the bullet. Have a new Revolver 70 sitting in a box and was trying to decide on which engine to use, thus I made up my mind and placed my order for a " OS GT 22 ".

Tower dropped the price $30.00 to $379.00 and with another promotional discount of $45.00, I just could not resist.

Presently finishing up my Revolver 59 with an OS .55AX. My next Revolver 70 with the OS GT 22 will give me four Revolvers.

1. Revolver 70 running a Saito .91
2. Revolver 70 running a DLE-20
3. Revolver 59 running a OS .55AX
4. Revolver 70 will be running the OS GT 22

After the Rev 70 with the OS 22, I am quite sure, at least presently, that this will be the final Revolver in my collection. [8D]
Old 02-22-2013, 06:24 AM
wjcalhoun

Granpooba
You of course will also need an R90/ DLE55RA to complete the Revolver hangar.

It will be interesting to see what performance differences you can observe between the DLE20 and OSGT22
Old 02-22-2013, 08:47 AM
lopflyers
My Feedback: (12)

I have the 59 powered by OS55, you will love it. Amazing power. Careful on landings, it will stall w/o warning.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.