Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 6 of 312 FirstFirst ... 456781656106 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Larger Revolver

Looking good, Dan!!!
    Have fun on your first flight and please post the outcome!!!

BTW: I love your setup!! You did a very good job!!! Just got some bad news, the weatherman is calling for snow this weekend!!! I hate that!!!
    Hope you have good weather to fly your new baby!!!

Sonny
    Spitfire Brotherhood #12
    P-40 Brotherhood #52
    Great Planes Citabria DLE 35RA CC

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks on the setup compliment.
    I may have to change my setup a little tomorrow. Hopefully I can fit the A123 Batt next to the receiver.
    I stuck a 13X8 thin blade prop on it.. Don't know how it will go with that, but it's a good starting point. I'll bring a bunch of props with me to experiment

Weather looks ok for Tues and Wed in connecticut.

Tuesday
    Hi: 44°
    Lo: 30°
    Mostly Cloudy
    Wednesday
    Hi: 50°
    Lo: 46°
    Partly Sunny

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey guys,

So I maidened the Revolver today.
    I ended up moving the battery in front of the servos . It balanced spot on with the move.

everything went well with the flight

This thing is fast. It only needed about 20ft to take off.
    Handles great, No trim needed at all. It was pretty cold out so I kept it a short flight.
    Knife edges great.
    Unlimited vertical using a 13x6 prop
    Landing was fine. I took a low pass to line it up, went around and on the final leg I flipped to landing mode. Mixed in spoiler at 30% with throttle cut and it decreases to 0% at mid stick.. so I can bail on a missed approach. It settled in nicely, flared at the end .. slow as can be..

I only took 1 flight today.. I'll tweek it up even more this week , weather permitting

Here's the whole video on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZUsnL3ZHFQ

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fd93340.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	743.0 KB 
ID:	1324450   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cx75899.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	757.0 KB 
ID:	1324451   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rw57809.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	797.9 KB 
ID:	1324452   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ey69710.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	821.1 KB 
ID:	1324453   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dp84154.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	734.8 KB 
ID:	1324454  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	du20683.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	743.4 KB 
ID:	1324455   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wy48989.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	803.5 KB 
ID:	1324456  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

frankeldan,
    Congrats on your successful maiden flight! Good to hear how this thing performs, I can't wait to get one.
    Your pics are excellent and I look forward to watching the video tonight.
    Hope to hear many more good reports from you about this plane!
    -Mike
    Gold Wing Su-26m/DLE-30, Twist 60/Saito 1.15, Airtronics 2.4 Ghz SD-10G.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: mschulz531

frankeldan,
    Congrats on your successful maiden flight! Good to hear how this thing performs, I can't wait to get one.
    Your pics are excellent and I look forward to watching the video tonight.
    Hope to hear many more good reports from you about this plane!
    -Mike

Thanks.. I hope the pics help everyone who is building one.

The only thing is that I can't report on is the slow speed characteristics of the plane. I was having soooo much fun flying at full throttle I never got around to the slow speed stuff. In the video,check out the vertical. It's insane .. 2 thumbs up for the .90 super tiger and a 13X7 prop

Mine is almost done. I just need to do the throttle linkage, mount the muffler, cut the cowl and determine where to put the battery for the CG. It looks like perfect flying weather Saturday... cool, clear and calm. Hopefully the Revolver will be ready to go.
    Ultra Sport Brotherhood #13*

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Dan;

I told you will be happy with this bird!!! Congrat on the first flight and it looks like we had the same weather. Wind, cold and clouds!!! Now you know this is a keeper!!!
    The vid was spot on and the engine sound so good!!! Like you, I have not try slow flight yet because I just love ripping her through the sky!! Now that you are hook and don't blame me, I told you not to buy one!!!
    Congrat again!!!

Sonny
    aka
    jet22b
    Spitfire Brotherhood #12
    P-40 Brotherhood #52

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I don't have any large 2 strokes ..they are all 4s saitos and gassers.. But I got to tell you.. this one sounds sweet. You know it's coming for sure. It was windy as you can see in the video (flag) .. And sometimes the best way to cut thru the wind is to go FAST..

Lovin it so far .. no complaints.. Thanks for all the help and suggestions..

Dan

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have the small revolver electric. Want to make it very fast. Any ideas as to what electric motor to use? I want to go bigger than recommended.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Severance,
    There is a forum for the smaller Revolver. Cannot post a link from my blackberry though. However a few guys have gone electric there . I would offer suggestions but I know absolutely nothing about going electric.
    Club Saito Member #600

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Dan,

Awesome video! Can't wait till spring to get mine in the air. I am still torn on what engine to use though. I don't want it to scream but I want that option. Still leaning more to the Saito 180.
    Club Saito Member #600

ORIGINAL: severance
    I have the small revolver electric. Want to make it very fast. Any ideas as to what electric motor to use? I want to go bigger than recommended.
    Do whatever this guy did: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NL_Zb...eature=related

Too quiet for me though.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: mike boxtall

Dan,

Awesome video! Can't wait till spring to get mine in the air. I am still torn on what engine to use though. I don't want it to scream but I want that option. Still leaning more to the Saito 180.

Thanks .. That was fun.. Can't wait to bring it out again.. Just for reference guys.. I didn't hit any type of trim on the transmitter during that flight. It flew straight and true, basically hands off .. sure .. ok .. maybe not hands off.. but you know what i mean.

My opinoin is that a Saito 180 is way too big, too heavy for this plane. At best you can expect 8500 rpms out of the Saito.and the prop will be way too big unless you go to a 3 blade. Save it for nice 3D plane. I just bought one and it's going into a twist150.
    A Saito 125 would be at the high end for this plane ..If allout speed isn't what you're into a Saito 100 to1.10 is perrrrrfect. Remember .. keep it light, balance also has to be right on. I think if this plane were to be flown tail heavy it would be a beast to control. Nose heavy and the thing would need a 500ft runway..

I maidened a buddy's big Revolver yesterday, and that sucker was nice. He had a nice OS 4stroke in it mounted inverted. The engine wouldn't draw fuel hand propping and the intake was out of reach being a 4stroke so I got involved when he and a buddy couldn't get it started. Some "airpressure" in one of the lines got the intake line filled enough that the engine was wet enough to start. I let them set the needle and wound up landing after 2 circuits to adjust. It was an ebay engine and turned out to have too rich a lowspeed and that caused two quick landings to get the highspeed set because of the lowspeed. If it hadn't come close to a good highspeed, my thought at first was to abort the maiden to tune the engine, but it ran good enough after the 2nd quick adjustment.

The balance was close according to the buddy and it didn't fly tail heavy. The buddy had set High/Low rates somewhat oddly. He said the manual had high rates at 20% and low at 10%. That's odd, but it flew like your usual sporster at the "high rate". He uses a not normal dual rate setting. It's not normal all right, it's on a 3-way switch with the middle position at high rates. He usually has his radio's epa's set at max, beyond 100%, so there is usually no telling if his throws match factory recommendations. I knew one of the two lesser settings would fly the plane and the 3rd would do ok if the "20%" was too limiting, even if that 3rd would fly like a 3D. Knowing ahead of time it might have be hyper responsive in the setting is enough if you're used to 3D and know it's coming.

It flew really nice. They had tested the balance and he said where it balanced was by the book. However, on idle it wouldn't stall. It was slow to snap so I'm guessing it needed the battery moved back a bit. They had just then moved the battery back (and that sets up the rest of the story).

It axial rolled with very little elevator and no rudder. hmmmm It looped with 10% and 20%, not much better at 20%. And wouldn't loop tightly, a clue why it was slow to snap. It actually didn't snap, just wallow/rolled quickly. The ailerons were good, no changes needed there unless you wanted really fast. And I was guessing the rates on the TX would get some judicious adjusting before the 2nd flight, so whatever the ailerons showed could be easily tuned.

So I told them I was going to 3D rates and flipped the switch to "middle rate" which I'm guessing was 110-120% from the TX. I got a stall (as expected) on the decreasing radius loop. It was flying sorta like a noseheavy 3D so I tried a wall and got a harsh snap. And then things went to hell. It didn't respond to elevator 100% from then on.

I got it turned around and headed for base leg and it started turning tighter. I got it turned back and it started rolling back into the turn and nosing down. Got it leveled and turning back some and lost it again. By then it was about 45degrees nose down. It was time for low motor and try to gentle the crash some, but I don't think it went to low motor. Couldn't hear for all the advice being yelled and there really wasn't much time before "touchdown". I'd pulled throttle to about half when things had started going bad, but it still had a lot of airspeed. I'd already noted the sucker is fast at top throttle and still pretty fast at half throttle. And noted from the impact debris' altitude that, 'YUP, the sucker is pretty fast at half throttle." It splashed soybeans pretty high for sure. And some balsa too.

Darn I hate it when stuff like that happens. I hate most the loss of such a good flying airplane. Tune a few things and sort some stuff and that sucker had big potential.

The autopsy showed something odd. The black wire on the battery was snapped at the pack. The red wire immediately beside it was as nice and plump and untouched as the day it came from the factory. No indications of how or what could have caused that damage. But it turns out the guys had just moved the pack after the first test balance the plane got, which was just before I got involved. It turns out the pack was on a natural rubber pad held down by a velcro strap. Putting it back under the strap showed it was too loose. Nothing around it to hold it front to back. I'm pretty sure it pulled out in the air, but got no idea how the wire got chopped and really no idea how just one wire went with the other untouched. Some mysteries don't ever get solved.

The guy says the plane is such a bargain he'll have another soon. I'm really considering one now. Like, I need another airplane. But the way it flew, it'd do precision pattern and IMAC without breaking a sweat. Heck, the little Revolver should be awesome too.
    Good flying wit ya today

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Excellent flight reports! Nice video.

I've had my large revolver for a couple of weeks. I have a new broken in ST 90 which obviously is plenty of power.
    I'm also thinking about a new O.S. 61 RF ABC-P I've had sitting around for almost 20 years, with a Mac's tuned pipe.
    Keep the reports coming.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Man .. That's too bad.. I hate taking someone's elses plane out for joy rides.. Stuff happens.. Out of your control for sure. It sounds like that battery connection was making/breaking. Never the less it's a fun plane when everything is set up properly. I'm off to the field now for some more action on this bird. Maybe I'll slow it down on this flight.. Na.. who am I kidding.

Later,

Dan

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Stuntpilot51

Excellent flight reports! Nice video.

I've had my large revolver for a couple of weeks. I have a new broken in ST 90 which obviously is plenty of power.
    I'm also thinking about a new O.S. 61 RF ABC-P I've had sitting around for almost 20 years, with a Mac's tuned pipe.
    Keep the reports coming.
    The ST90 has my vote !! It's perfect for this plane. I would put that os 61 in the smaller Revolver.. would go nicely there.

I'm temped to buy the smaller Revolver and slap the ST .76 in it. I originally purchased it for the larger Revolver but .. never made the cut.

Enjoy,

Dan

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

well i to have now joined this "big revolver" club. i picked it up at my LHS on mon to have for one of this winters projects. i have an OS 120 4stroke that needed a new home. i am thinking hitec 5645s programed real tight on the feathers with a slightly bigger tank, a 6volt batt, and a 15x8 vess prop. i alwas epoxy reenforce the engine room and landing gear areas (west system epoxy is my favorite) with an ARF. pin the hinges and seal the gaps of course. i am stoked from the reports already given. Happy flying, capt

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

capt1597;

Welcome to the club!!!
    The only thing I can say is, You are going to love it!!!!

Sonny
    aka
    jet22b
    Spitfire Brotherhood #12
    P-40 Brotherhood #52

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Capt.,
    Please keep us posted as per your engine install. Your O.S. 120 fs has the same bolt pattern as the Saito I want to install. Can you please let me know if you have to modify the engine mount holes on the firewall to accomodate for the wider crank case.

Thanks, Mike
    Club Saito Member #600

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Welcome Capt1597.. The os 120 will do well in this bird.

I went out again today with the Revolver. It keeps getting better. The engine wasn't running quite as well yesterday. Don't know if it's just breaking in temp, Air,etc.. I did get it running fast by the end of the day.

Slowed it down for some Knife edge action .. when rolling to the right wing Canopy towards me , It was like an Arrow. I did it flat and it looked like a dart , then the next pass slowed it down with the nose pointing alpha high .. looked sweet, tracked well.

Then going back the other way with the gear towards me , upwind it kept pulling toward the canopy.. Could have been me .

Landings - YES ... I don't care all the hoopla you've heard about this plane landing hot ,,bla bla bla ...

I can land this thing on a dime. It keeps getting BETTER!!!!
    Throw the landing switch, spoilers engaged , settles in so nice and smooth .. I can't rave about enuff.. One of my easiest landing planes.

Here's the 2nd Video ... Thanks Mike for taking it today.. It's a crappy camera , so a little grainy but you can see my 2nd landing...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPJv69xO2IY
    Enjoy,

Dan

Mine is pretty much done.

I ran the OS 1.10 tonight. What a sweet engine. It fired right up with just a bump from the starter and purrs like a kitten. It pulls like a clydesdale at full throttle too. I can't wait to see what it does in the air. I was a little disappointed in how much of the cowl I had to cut for the muffler but you'll never see it at 90MPH.

I was able to get the CG right on the money with the battery mounted to one of the center fuselage formers so no additional weight was needed.

I'll set the throws tomorrow night, go over it with a covering iron one more time and wait for Saturday. Hopefully the weather stays the way it is supposed to.

It is all done. Should be in the air on Saturday. Hopefully all goes well.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Good luck on the 1st flight.. Any pics of your Revolver?

Hope it's nice out tomorrow. I'll fly mine again if so. Need to get some better fuel.. 10% isn't cuttin it for me.

Well .. off to my new project .. Hangar 9 Twist 150 with a Saito 180 .. You gotta love this hobby..

Later,

Dan

I'll get some pictures either tomorrow night or at the field on Saturday.

Page 6 of 312 FirstFirst ... 456781656106 ... LastLast