Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Larger Revolver

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Larger Revolver

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2009, 05:57 PM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Larger Revolver

ORIGINAL: DenverJayhawk

i just bought a 95ax from tower for my Big Stik 60. They're running a $60 off promo for orders over $300. So it made it a little easier to swallow the price. Plus I was tired of trying to tune the other 90 sized Chinese engine I had on it. I just decided it was worth the investment as I'll keep the 95ax for a long, long, time and I plan to stay in 60 sized models. Agree it's expensive though. Could have bought 2 ST90s for the less than I paid for the 95AX.

Will the Phoenix Extra fly similar to a Twist 60? I'm guessing it will be a little quicker due to the thin wing but should have the same 3D capability?

Speaking of Revolvers.............

The ST90s are $140 and the OS95AX is $280 so it really looks likes it's a tie. Of course, the SuperTiger is a Chinese made engine and the ST carbs have had a pretty lousy reputation in the past, so it doesn't seem like a tie at all.

The Phoenix isn't going to fly much like a Twist at all. Phoenix models tend to be in the upper range average weights for their size, and their full bodied Extras have a lot less aileron area. They're more IMAC type flyers than flop around 3D'ers.
Old 12-24-2009, 09:22 PM
capt1597

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

merry christmas everyone! so far i have read of a few posible areas that might need strengthening depending on usage and skill. i alwas fly off grass so landing gear "beefing up" i alwas try and do. i peeled back the covering laid down 5 layers of super thin fiberglass cloth so as to spread the loads. on the inside,after i put in greased bolts, i painted the whole landing gear area with epoxy. (i use west system epoxy) again to spread the loads. i noticed on my plane that alot of the interconecting tabs of the engine box had small gaps so with a epoxy syringe i filled all that needed it. i read over in the original revolver post that a pilot had the balsa box for the wing servo popped out so i painted the whole inside of the box with epoxy. again i used west system epoxy which goes on much thinner then any modelling epoxy i found. i believe that this will highly strengthen this area. then after i epoxied the stabilizer in i thickened some epoxy and with a syringe filled all gaps left. i decided to go with the dubro 60 size fiberglass landing gear, i alwas liked its flexability and the wider base will spread the loads better i think. i enjoy the winter building time. its 31 and raining outside so there is plenty of time for all the little extras. capt
Old 12-24-2009, 10:18 PM
maynardrupp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: DenverJayhawk

i just bought a 95ax from tower for my Big Stik 60. They're running a $60 off promo for orders over $300. So it made it a little easier to swallow the price. Plus I was tired of trying to tune the other 90 sized Chinese engine I had on it. I just decided it was worth the investment as I'll keep the 95ax for a long, long, time and I plan to stay in 60 sized models. Agree it's expensive though. Could have bought 2 ST90s for the less than I paid for the 95AX.

Will the Phoenix Extra fly similar to a Twist 60? I'm guessing it will be a little quicker due to the thin wing but should have the same 3D capability?
Gee Denver, I think my Extra 30 probably flies very similar to a revolver. I am learning pattern flying and not into 3D, so I guess I am not sure. My Extra does have larger control surfaces but nothing like a Twist.
Old 12-24-2009, 10:38 PM
bradywat23
My Feedback: (16)

Hey Frankeldan Where did you get that bracket fot your gear? I just got the revolver and im putting in a magnum .91 4 stroke in it. I will be flying off grass. Do i need the bracket or is there an easier way to reinforce it or do i even need to do anything at all.
Old 12-27-2009, 07:25 AM
ptuxbury

Hey Capt1597. It sounds like you've got a lot of good ideas for strengthening the gear. I put the Dubro gear on my smaller revolver, and I'm quite happy with it. I epoxied some ply on the inside, drilled 4 more holes, and added 4 more threaded inserts, so not only did the dubro gear spread the load better (because it is a one piece gear and it is wider than the stock gear), but I had it fastened to the plane with more screws. I'll take a picture and post it later.

The one thing I noticed with the fit of the Dubro gear with the larger Revolver is that it is about 1 inch shorter than the stock gear. This wasn't the case with the smaller Revolver. I think it should still be okay though.

I was holding off on this plane due to limited funds at Christmas, but then my father got it for me as a gift. Very nice of him. So once I finish my current project, I'll be switching over to this.
Old 12-27-2009, 02:27 PM
mike boxtall

Not sure if anyone will agree, but I do not plan on reinforcing the gear at all. I know it will tear out in time, at which point I will just re-glue it better than factory. That is all I had done with the little one and it held quite well even after it snapped 15' off the deck, landed so hard the legs folded. The legs were shattered but the joint held without fault.
Old 12-27-2009, 05:54 PM
capt1597

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

mike, i think your choice is totally good. i think that if all the original joints were glued properly you should never have a problem. i,however, live in toledo but spend my summers in sturgeon bay, wis. there is no LHS and i do not take all my hobby tools up north with me so i am alwas looking to prepare my planes for the worse case senario. because if it breaks i cannot repair it till i return to ohio in the late fall. the down side of my reenforcments are that i am adding weight which i would rather not do. the upside is that they will take a bigger beating before breaking. i think if i alwas flew nearer to my work shop i would fly it stock until otherwise needed,like you. i will tell you that it has been my experience that maybe 80% of the arf's i have owned ended up needing firer wall and landing work over the long haul and then after i repaired them with epoxy they held up much better. i have to also say that one of my best flying buddies never reinforces and never seems to break anthing. he usually flys till he runs out of fuel and then dead stiks to a great landing coming to a stop about 10 feet away. i tease him that if he has to walk over 30 feet to pick up his plane that it is was a bad landing. some day i dream that i will get that good. probaly not! happy flying, capt
Old 12-29-2009, 09:48 PM
Jeff Spicoli

I was at the LHS to buy some servo extensions and other stuff, as well as an Escapade for my good friend who helped me work on a number of ARFs this past weekend. I had asked about the Revolver 60, and my friend Joe ordered one for the store. It just came in today, and my frequent buyer cards were rapidly used up on this purchase. Absolutely gorgeous plane.
Old 12-30-2009, 01:00 AM
mike boxtall

Capt.

I appreciate your comments. The problem I often face applying the theory of 'if it ain't broke....' It makes for some short days at the field when I am getting used to a new plane. And other times it feels like I am just waiting for the other shoe to fall. I have a tendency to fly like you buddy. If I put in 20 ozs of fuel I usually like to burn the same amount. When I was taught to fly I was taught that a dead stick is nothing to get worked up over and that planes will glide very very well. Also when I do have engine problems I am able to get it back on the ground without panicking and without making the mistakes that go along with the panicked mind. The temp here is around twenty below so my flying season is done. I have a pile of projects on the go, a house of balsa p-51 kit, a gp super skybolt kit, along with repairs to my little revolver(have to replace the firewall), and repairs to my super sportster( wings folded ) but the fuse is still in pretty good shape. So I have quite a but on my plate for the build and repair season.
Was not really ready for how big the bigger revolver was going to be. Still leaning towards the Saito 180 for this beast. I think it will be the combo for me...not for everyone, but for my style of flying. Contrary to what I may have posted earlier in a different tread. I don't mind adding weight to a plane so long as it is working weight. Will mod the fuse to accomodate two servos in the rear for evator control. That should suffice for balancing and if need be I will move the battery behind the servo tray also... If need be. Battery will be a 5 cell 2200 mha 6 volt.
Old 12-30-2009, 10:10 AM
frankeldan

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Well for me, i beefed up the gear because I know at some point .. prolly during the 20th flight... I'll put her down hard and maybe .. just maybe ... I'll be able to fly her again with making repairs.. You know , like Mike , I have a pile of crashers that await fixing this winter. If something breaks during the flying season i usually put it to the side and grab another plane. This winter I'm building like a madman . Could be that i got laid off in November and I have the time to work on the planes.

Anyway.. Hope my landing gear holds up. This plane is just fun to fly and has a nice presence in the sky. Can't wait to get back out there. I flew last week on the snow with my Funjet. I had a sticky aileron and put that plane in doing 100mph. I lost the spektrum reciever in the snow but a flying buddy just found it .. yipeee ..  time to get another one

My F20 Tigershark is 100% done ..another sweet plane.

Thinking about a small revolver. My bud gave me a Rossi 61 with a rear exit exaust. I'm wondering if it has the clearance below the firewall to squeeze it in. That motor turns at 19k.. would be a fast one.. any thoughts?

Old 12-30-2009, 05:12 PM
jet22b

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

frankeldan;

You think you have fun with the large revolver, just wait to you build and fly the small one!! A Rossi 61???? Do they still make that engine??? I have a friend who was into racing had a Rossi 61 with a tune pipe setup in a Little Toni and this plane was fast!!! You are going to mount that engine in the small revolver??? When you do, I hope you have someone with a speed gun on the first flight. I want to know the speed!!![sm=biggrin.gif]

I have the OS 55AX in my small revolver and this baby rip!!! A small revolver with a Rossi 61, I say, " Go For It"!!!!
I am very happy with both revolver and I know I will see more large revolver at my field next year. Now if I can get my cards and checkbook from the wife, I will be on Tower and place a order for one more large and small revolver!!! And yes, I do have a Man Cave to sleep in now!!!!
HAPPY NEW YEAR to ALL!!!!

Sonny
aka
jet22b
Old 12-30-2009, 11:18 PM
frankeldan

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

General Specs:
- Bore: 0.945 (in.)
- Stroke: 0.906 (in.)
- Shaft: 8mm
- Low RPM: 6000
- High RPM: 20400
- HP: 2.450 bhp@17000 RPM
Nova Rossi
C61F

Yes novarossi is still in biz. Big in the buggy market.

I just wrote a long post and this web site timed out ..arggggg

but .. If I can make this one fit in a the small revolver, I'll go for it.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om31734.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	1345449  
Old 12-31-2009, 12:20 AM
JOHNS3D
My Feedback: (5)

this airplane is really nice, a friend of mine maiden his revolver last weekend with a O.S. 110, it really make this airplane great, high speeds and you can do a lot of things.

Old 12-31-2009, 09:46 AM
bradywat23

Has anyone flown it in the wind yet? Its windy alot where i am and we hardly ever have a nice day to fly.
Old 12-31-2009, 10:04 AM
mike boxtall

The little revolver handled a 15 knot wind easily. If the larger one reacts to wind the way its smaller counterpart it should be great.
Old 12-31-2009, 10:09 AM
bradywat23

Sounds good man. Thanks. Our club meeting is saturday so if the weather isnt to bad i may head out to the field afterwards and maiden it.
Old 12-31-2009, 10:17 AM
bhorton
My Feedback: (26)

Has anyone tried a Saito 125 in the large Revolver? If so would you give us a report on how it fits in the plane, how it balances, and how it flies? Thanks.
Old 12-31-2009, 10:21 AM
bradywat23

Mine has a magnum .91 rfs in it and i had to put my battery right behind the fuel tank beside the throttle servo to get it to balance. My bet would be that it would balance alright with the battery beside the reciever
Old 12-31-2009, 12:01 PM
mike boxtall

Saito 180 just arrived. THIS IS GONNA BE SICK!!!!
Old 12-31-2009, 07:35 PM
mschulz531

ORIGINAL: mike boxtall

I still can't believe you are going to fit a Saito 180 into the Revolver 70"!
I hope you will provide us with pictures.
I'm planning to put a Magnum .91 FS into mine.
I'm starting to worry that it will be too small!

Old 12-31-2009, 07:49 PM
jet22b

ORIGINAL: mschulz531

I still can't believe you are going to fit a Saito 180 into the Revolver 70''!

I have the OS 91SII FS with a 14x8 prop, ( same engine they have on the one they have in the vid on their website ), and I have fun. But alot of people have the Saito 1.10 on their revolver and having a blast. But as you know, some people had a need for speed!!!!

Sonny
aka
jet22b
Old 12-31-2009, 07:54 PM
mschulz531

Ok - I can see the Saito 1.10...that's at least within reason...but the Saito 1.80?
That's beyond reason!
I'd love to see some video of that thing flying....just imagine the sound!

ORIGINAL: jet22b

ORIGINAL: mschulz531

I still can't believe you are going to fit a Saito 180 into the Revolver 70''!

I have the OS 91SII FS with a 14x8 prop, ( same engine they have on the one they have in the vid on their website ), and I have fun. But alot of people have the Saito 1.10 on their revolver and having a blast. But as you know, some people had a need for speed!!!!

Sonny
aka
jet22b
Old 12-31-2009, 08:23 PM
MetallicaJunkie

Looks like it will be a good home to a Webra 120 Speed i have lying around....barely broken in too
Old 12-31-2009, 08:31 PM
mike boxtall

My reasons for wanting the 180 are this. 1) it weighs about the same as the saito fa120, has the same size crank case as the afore mentioned, and has a lot more power.
2) vertical performance. When pointed straight up when I hit the throttle, I want it to accelerate not slow down.
Lastly the 180 albeit horrendously over powered is a much more versatile engine.
I will post pics when I get to it in the new year. Will only be able to fly in April... I hope.
Old 12-31-2009, 09:02 PM
Widget
My Feedback: (1)

Happy New Year Mike. (It's still only 6PM in Oregon, USA.) I like your attitude. You can always cut the throtle back. Not so with the opposite desire: MORE POWER! (-: You have convinced me to put my 1.20AX on the Revolver instead of my 91FX. I too like to accellerate straight up! (-:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.