Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Larger Revolver

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Larger Revolver

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 03:50 AM
wjcalhoun

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Larger Revolver

I ordered mine a week or so ago, and i got the notice that it is now in stock and the order will be processed within a few days.
If there is interest, I'll post a build thread.

DLE55RA, DA60, ZDZ90??

Old 10-06-2012, 04:24 AM
microdon2
My Feedback: (47)

wjc - I'd love to see a build thread! As for engine I'm requesting a DLE 55 - so that the rest of us can see the results. And if it's underpowered (which I doubt, considering that online video) you can always upgrade and sell the DLE 55 to me! (at a very reasonable, "Larger Revolver Thread Contributor" discount, of course...)
Old 10-06-2012, 04:36 AM
lopflyers
My Feedback: (12)

DA 60, buy American, create jobs
Old 10-06-2012, 04:50 AM
microdon2

DA 60 is, no doubt, a better engine. And it's American made, which is nice. But with the DA 60 going for $649 (engine, no muffler) plus $89 (Pitts muffer) = $740 vs the DLE 55 at TH for $329 ($369 less the $40 discount) - that significant cost difference is a pretty convincing argument for many of us.

Besides - from what I"ve seen in person the DLE 55 is a very good engine and has gotten overall excellent reviews. Like the Revolver planes, the DLE's seem like a very good value.
Old 10-06-2012, 09:32 AM
lopflyers
My Feedback: (12)

[X(], what??? I didn't know the difference was so steep. That is exactly why China and Japan are eating our candies.
Old 10-06-2012, 10:09 AM
Sbach342Guy

ORIGINAL: lopflyers

[X(], what??? I didn't know the difference was so steep. That is exactly why China and Japan are eating our candies.
It's hard to compete with slave labor rates when our factory workers expect to be paid the same as a PhD.
Old 10-06-2012, 12:45 PM
microdon2

Globalization, as with most things in economics, is a double-edged sword. Though you'll never hear that from a politician. During election season.
Old 10-06-2012, 01:38 PM
Sbach342Guy

ORIGINAL: microdon2

Globalization, as with most things in economics, is a double-edged sword. Though you'll never hear that from a politician. During election season.
So true. In the global market American salaries will drop, 3rd world salaries will rise, we will meet somewhere in the middle. I don't think Americans are ready for the change and politicians know it is political suicide to talk truthfully about it.
Old 10-06-2012, 02:25 PM
microdon2

The buffer of 2,500 miles of ocean got wiped out by the internet. For better and worse.
Old 10-06-2012, 02:47 PM
Granpooba
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

News - the Rev 90 is now in stock!! Who's pulling the trigger first??? WJCalhoun?
I pulled the trigger first ! About 175 rounds at the skeet range this past week. Now with the sore shoulders, I'm ready to sit down and put together my R-70 with a DLE-20 and the R-90 with the DLE 55RA.
Old 10-06-2012, 02:51 PM
microdon2

Granpooba - first, nice handle. And are these your first Revolvers? Are you building \ flying the Rev 70 first? Would love to see build pics of the Rev 90. Maybe post to wjcalhoun's build thread?
Old 10-06-2012, 03:17 PM
Granpooba

Granpooba - first, nice handle. And are these your first Revolvers? Are you building \ flying the Rev 70 first? Would love to see build pics of the Rev 90. Maybe post to wjcalhoun's build thread?
Have already been flying my R-70 with a Saito 91 pulling it, for a couple of years now. Very, very pleased with this plane/engine combo.

Just this past week I put in my new Aeroworks Extra 300 QB with a DLE-20. It crashed on its very first takeoff. Cause was and their is no doubt about this, is that the vertical and horizontal stabs came off. Upon examination it was determined to be a total structural failure do to quality of or lack of glue, probably a combination of both. Only glue that was holding was the epoxy that I used to mount the horizontal stab. Also, the tail of the fuselage was very weak under the horizontal stab and this contributed to the failure.

I came online here and inquired as to what planes people were installing their DLE's 20's into. Got various replies, but what stood out for me that many were putting the DLE-20's into the R-70's and were stating that it was an awesome combination. Thus already having a DLE-20 and very pleased with the R-70, I ordered another R-70 and have already received it. Will be starting to put it together this coming week.

Have the R-90 on order. No hurry for this one as winter will be fast approaching here in the Northeast and will need a couple of models to help get past the winter blues. Have already decided to put the DLE-55RA into the R-90.

As I originally stated, I am very pleased with my R-70 / Saito 91 combo, and will be interesting to see how the R-70/DLE combo compares. The R-90 with the DLE-55 should also be an awesome combo.

Guess I will have to build a hangar just for my Revolvers ..............

Their are some other threads on RC Universe about the Revolvers with the DLE-20's, with pictures. Check out the threads about the DLE-20's, that is where I found and got most of my info about them. With just a little searching, others should have no problems finding all the info that they need or want about this combo. Very interesting reading, at least for me.

I should add that if you check out " You Tube ", you will find some video's there of R-70's with DLE-20's.

Have fun and enjoy.
Old 10-06-2012, 03:51 PM
Slow and Steady

I saw the Commerce Secretary for one of the small Pacific Rim countries on TV a couple of weeks ago after factory workers in his country had a strike over labor conditions. He said they could not meet the worker demands because another regional country, I think it was Bangladesh, was more then willing to provide labor with even fewer benefits. I was shocked when he said "they were on a race to the bottom". Those were his exact words. Supposedly cheaper energy is starting to bring jobs home. Lets hope so.

DA vs DLE; I don't think it is a fair comparison, like apples and oranges. The DA is a work of art with better components. A friend of mine has the DA 50 and it will idle at 1200 rpm. I have 2 DLE 55s and they are dependable work horses. I heard the idle is contributed to the premium bearings, but don't really know. I am the last one to be able to give an educated opinion on this issue, but my gut feeling is that they are not the same animal.
Old 10-06-2012, 04:02 PM
microdon2

Granpooba - Having flown the Rev 70 \ DLE 20 combo I can tell you it's a great combination. Seems to have about 1.5 times the power of my Rev 70 \ OS 120 4s. (am about to start rebuilding the Rev 70 \ DLE 20 soon). Since you're getting the DLE 55RA I take it you're going with the tuned piped option? Are you confident of finding a path for a pipe tunnel? If not tuned pipe, why the DLE 55RA?

btw - I also live in NY (though not upstate, like yourself) and I fly all winter long. Love flying on skis in a field of snow.
Old 10-06-2012, 04:14 PM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Granpooba, welcome to our corner of the forum! Thinking if you haven't already, you'll become addicted to it. Great bunch of guys here exchanging thoughts on quite a variety of RC related topics, though we do touch briefly on Revolver related stuff on occasion as well?

-Al
Old 10-07-2012, 03:50 AM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just curious, did AW take care of you? I am somewhat disapointed in some of the planes now days breaking apart in the air. I can see after some serious hard flying, but just on maiden speaks volumes!

I read somewhere that folks were taking long pices of dowel and attaching an epoxy brush and thinning epoxy then applying it down inside the back of the fuselage? To me, this is ridiculous to think that we would have to do that!

To date I have never had to do that, however my concern has grown some now when you see AW planes get so crummy and yet charge a bit more than their competitors for planes shipped from other lands [X(]
Old 10-07-2012, 05:24 AM
microdon2

wjcalhoun - was working on my flat spin this morning (Rev 70 \ OS 120 4s), and I think I'm getting it. Not sure, though, the best way to start and the correct order of control surfaces. This is what I'm doing - climb high, go into a slow dive, full left rudder, full right ailerons, full up elevator, up throttle to 1/2-3/4. Is that the correct approach and order? Didn't get it consistently, but did get it a few times, and MAN is that fun! other question - do you use high rates for your elevator and \ or ailerons? (I did try high-rates for elevator on one of them, but didn't seem to make much difference, plus I had to remember to switch back to low-rates on elevator so I would not lose control.)

Also am getting more comfortable with outside loops (though I'm still doing them up high). Did some practicing this morning and realized that you have to move ailerons TOWARD the side that's dropping - once I was aware of that I felt MUCH more in control. it's counter-intuative (you want to pull to the OTHER side - though you'd think I'd know that from my other inverted flying...).

Once I get this I'll try inverted flat spin. I love the excitement of learning new moves!

Mike D
Old 10-07-2012, 09:00 AM
Granpooba

Granpooba - Having flown the Rev 70 \ DLE 20 combo I can tell you it's a great combination. Seems to have about 1.5 times the power of my Rev 70 \ OS 120 4s. (am about to start rebuilding the Rev 70 \ DLE 20 soon). Since you're getting the DLE 55RA I take it you're going with the tuned piped option? Are you confident of finding a path for a pipe tunnel? If not tuned pipe, why the DLE 55RA?

btw - I also live in NY (though not upstate, like yourself) and I fly all winter long. Love flying on skis in a field of snow.
No Sir, not going with a tuned pipe on the DLE-55RA. Have talked to other fellows and read that the RA already comes with a Pitts style muffler. I believe that if you were to purchase the standard DLE-55 and wanted to add a Pitts muffler, it would cost you about an additional $80.00 to $90.00. Thus, I just thought that I might just as well opt to purchase the RA with the Pitts muffler and save a few dollars.

Have never flown off of snow, but I probably should considering that we only have three seasons here, which are July, August and Winter.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:09 AM
microdon2

Granpooba - ok, I see that now, that the DLE55RA comes with a Pitts-style muffler. Also noted that the RA is $60 more, but if you were going to get a Pitts-muffler anyway it seems that it does save you some money and ordering the extra muffler. Also just noticed that the RA's peak HP of 5.5 is at 8,500 RPM, and the DLE55 is at 7,500. Any idea what that's about? (wonder if it has to do with being more in sync with a tuned pipe? or maybe the Tech Notes are not accurate.)

I may just call TH tomorrow and ask.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:27 AM
markhamregular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hi calhoum,

I just bought my AX120 and as you said, it fit perfectly in my Revolver 70.
I also noticed it weighs only 2.4 ounces more than the AX75 recommended.
Did you have any problem making the CG the right place?
I hate to add more weight, but I figure if I place the battery next to the receiver instead of the front, it should be enough to help balancing.

Thanks,
Old 10-07-2012, 11:25 AM
rolliedog12
My Feedback: (3)

I fly the Revolver with the 1.20AX, I have the battery right behind the gas tank and it balances perfectly.  No added weight needed.
I love this combo!
Old 10-07-2012, 11:28 AM
Slow and Steady

Microdon, The upright flat spin starts at level flight and idle speed to bring about a stall. Push into the menuver with slight left aileron, apply left rudder and then up elevator. The more throw the flatter the spin. I don't use aileron after the spin begins, but some planes require aileron to flatten the spin. Also the more neutral the CG the flatter the spin. You can play with the pitch angle of the spin by changing rudder and elevator deflection as she drops. For inverted, bring plane to inverted flight, idle, right rudder and then down elevator. Pull out is induced by releasing the sticks and then flying out.
Old 10-07-2012, 12:01 PM
microdon2

S&S - thanks - will try your approach.

I just had a close call, from being careless. I was testing a 35cc gas engine in my kitchen (its mounted on a H9 P51 150). Had the plane fuse on a stand (on the floor) and have a rope around the tail to hold it, and an exhaust hose venting to the outside. I test lots of engines in my kitchen. But this setup was more awkward because of the stand and the position of the exhaust hose. Got the engine running nicely, controlling choke and throttle from my radio. On second startup I had the engine running at just above low throttle, and was stepping around the front of the plane to get behind (to hold it while I revved it up). Evidently this time I got lazy and didn't lift my leg high enough, and WHAM - the prop hit my right foot in the toes. BAM - that hurt. Was so sudden I wasn't sure how badly I was hurt. Fortunately I was wearing socks and leather slippers (I don't usually wear slipper). At this point I'm still was not sure if I had broken toes inside the slippers.

Stopped the engine with the choke. Also fortunate that the prop was a wood Zinger - it broke. After an hour or so the pain subsided. Took the shoe and sock off - looks like no broken toes, but I do have a bit of dent in my big toe. Glad it wasn't an APC prop.
Old 10-07-2012, 12:51 PM
wjcalhoun

Mark
No problem with CG; my battery was aft; mounted just in front of the rudder servo (and i did have two elevator servos mounted way aft in the fuse).
That is a great combo. Have fun with it.

Microdon: I start my (upright) flat spins with a stall->spin; the wings have to stall first, so slow, nose high until the nose falls, then full L aileron, L rudder, full up elevator into the spin with advancing throttle to accelerate the spin. Once you have a fast coordinated spin, begin to cross the aileron (slowly) to the R and she will flatten out. I do use max rates for that maneuver; to exit, point the nose at the ground to gain airspeed, pull the rate switch to low and either pull (+g) or push (-g) to horizontal. For inverted, start inverted, stall spin with full down elevator, full L rudder, full R aileron, accelerate the spin, and then cross the aileron. If you cross the aileron too soon, or too quickly, the plane falls into what looks like a blender. Key is, you have to stall the wings.

Oops - S&S - missed your post; looks like our methods are about the same; sorry to duplicate instructions.

Mike - fortunate it was your toes, not your fingers or head!
Old 10-07-2012, 01:59 PM
Granpooba

Granpooba - ok, I see that now, that the DLE55RA comes with a Pitts-style muffler. Also noted that the RA is $60 more, but if you were going to get a Pitts-muffler anyway it seems that it does save you some money and ordering the extra muffler. Also just noticed that the RA's peak HP of 5.5 is at 8,500 RPM, and the DLE55 is at 7,500. Any idea what that's about? (wonder if it has to do with being more in sync with a tuned pipe? or maybe the Tech Notes are not accurate.)

I may just call TH tomorrow and ask.
I believe that the Tech Notes are not accurate / misprint. I think that their is only about 100 RPM difference between the Standard and the RA.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.