Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Larger Revolver

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Larger Revolver

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2013, 10:11 AM
VictoryRoll
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear about the crash, Al...
Total loss or salvageable?

I lost my first plane to solo on, a GP Big Stik 40, she was a beauty and a great flyer. Happened about 3 weeks ago. Straight in nose-dive into muck filled field. Drilled in about 6 inches. I am looking to buy a dial indicator to check if crank is bent. I hate when this happens!
Old 10-10-2013, 05:02 PM
ahicks

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Condolences here too V.R.! Regarding the dial indicator, it's when they hit something hard I worry?

The Revolver has already been fixed for the most part. Hasn't been test flown as I'm seriously considering moving the rudder servo to the rear (now a pull pull setup mounted mid ship) to offset some of the weight the patches have added to the front end. That and I've been busier than heck.
Old 10-11-2013, 01:34 PM
VictoryRoll

Thank you for your reply, Al. I was wondering what I should do? Go out and buy a dial indicator or (after clean & oil), try to spin her up and see what if any vibration is??? I know Harbor Tools has one that is cheap, but many negative reports...and I really don't have the money for this "one time" use tool... at least I hope "one time" !!!
Old 10-11-2013, 01:52 PM
ahicks

Mount the prop on it and check the tracking at the tip? If OK, turn it 90 degrees on the prop hub and check it again. If OK there too, you're good to go I'd think?

The only problem you might get into is if the prop itself has an issue? If the mounted prop isn't tracking properly, prior to blaming the crank, mount the prop backwards and see if that changes anything. If it does, you know you have a prop issue. You'll need to find a straight one...or drill a hole in something flat and use it instead of a prop to check with?
Old 10-13-2013, 12:58 PM
Dreamtime

Hi VicRoll

Would you try to flick me a PM, as I am not sure if mine are getting through. I am plodding through the build and busy putting in twin aft mounted servos, but had a mishap with the covering and need small piece for repair (I can get it here but at $60!) I am very happy with the Hitec 5625 servos so far. Am also putting in a pull pull rudder to save some weight, but this is proving quite a mission to do correctly. While I have the covering off it is a great opportunity to route the cables crossed over with no obstructions leaving a really neat geometry.
Brian

Last edited by Dreamtime; 10-13-2013 at 06:20 PM.
Old 10-15-2013, 10:41 AM
VictoryRoll

Al, sorry for the slow replies... just have been so busy, I haven't had a chance to even read my emails, lately. I will absolutely try that method with the prop, sounds like a great idea!.

Again, my apologies,

-VR- (Don)
Old 10-22-2013, 08:20 PM
[]TEX[]

I've had a revolver for a few years running a Saito 82 which flew it very nicely with a 13x10 prop.

I just swapped out the Saito for a G20 I had laying around which also flies very nicely with the stock set up. I also didn't have any trouble balancing it either.

Anyway, a lot of wasted time moving servos and figuring out fantastic ways to control surfaces. It's fully capable stock aside from the landing gear blocking.

Happy flying.
Old 10-23-2013, 05:27 PM
wjcalhoun

Al:
Sorry to hear of your damage. I have so far been fortunate with mine. My Eagle Tree system shows top speeds of around 120-122 mph in s/l flight turning about 9500 rpm on the DLE20 (APC 14x12). The quick pitch does make rpm management critical on landing; otherwise she just keeps flying. I have measured +7g in maneuvering, and so far the airframe is holding up well without any sign of stress. Lateral g was 2.7 max, probably in a knife edge spin transitioning to inverted FS.

Flat spins and IFS are about 10* nose down now that the CG is aft far enough. I do not get the nose flare when slowing as you were describing, so my CG is probably ahead of where yours is.

The R70 is just a fun airframe, especially with the DLE20.
My R90 / DLE55RA is a great flier as well, but probably does not have quite the fun factor of the R70.

Best regards
Bill
Old 10-24-2013, 10:13 AM
VictoryRoll

Hi Bill! Haven't seen you around lately? ...or it's me... not sure I like the recent change(s) to RCU and if you don;t visit, you do not get email updates as regularly. er, I hope I am right about that !!! ???

I was curious how your doing with your new Futaba 14S? I have the 10C and was curious if I should be considering a move to the 14S for the Telemetry. Conversely, I don't know why the 10C is more expensive and I haven't had the time to compare them.

Thanks,

Don
Old 10-24-2013, 03:31 PM
wjcalhoun

Hi Don
Just busy with my primary job for the past 6 weeks or so. The weather here is great for flying year round, so I do not have to squeeze all my flying time into the May-Sep window.

I really like my 14SG. I simply moved all my setting from the 8FG. There was some minor tweaking necessary - centering trim, etc - but the transition was pretty painless.

I am not using 14SG telemetry, because I get much better data recording from my Eagle Tree. What I like about it over the 8FG is a little more mass/weight, a little bigger case that fits my hands better, and the flexibility of adding downlink telemetry in the future. If I were to add something for real-time monitoring, it would probably be altitude. You know, we can't go above 400' agl now

I think the 10C is older technology; I would not see any advantage to that radio over the 14SG, but I might be missing something. I'm not sure why the price points are what they are.
Old 10-25-2013, 10:30 AM
VictoryRoll

I agree with the 10C being older tech. w/ the 14SG giving you the FASSTest. I have no experience w/ telemetry, so I would not know what is best. You point out that the Eagle Tree gives you much better data recording. If you could please, describe what you mean, as I have several Eagle tree items in my my wishlist on TH. In looking at the list of features in both radio systems, the laundry list is much more extensive for the 14SG.... does it sound like I am convincing myself to sell the 10C and buy a new 14SG? lol

It is weird that the 10C is still more money??? I do like the 10C, and I have a Spectrum Module that pops in the back so I can fly on DSM or DSM2 signals. Additionally, I have one of the older models of the 10c, that has the FM module built-in, so it does give me several alternative technologies to fly, although I only use the DSM2 & FASST.

I am very, very jealous that being in TX, you can fly year-round.!!! I have to move to FL or something!!! although it does give me an excuse to get back into the workshop and do some repairs, builds, etc. (notice I'm trying to fish for good reason for living in this crappy state of MA ! ...and I'm a Republican ! Talk about a fish out of water!

Also,
1). On the 14SG; one feature I really want is GPS, which I see that the 14SG has. My desire for this feature is for locating the plane should I lose it in the woods or something (not that I would do anything like that ) Do you know if this particular telemetry feature would provide what I am looking for (using it along w/ Google Earth to find my plane)?

2). Can you adjust the left stick so that it does NOT click, like for heli's. In my case for 3D flying.

3). Is it easy to not only setup but trim dual-elevators?

Ok, well, I just wanted to say Hi ! and ask you about the 14SG. You have helped me so much in the past, and I am sure in the future. Both you and Al (ahicks) are invaluable to this thread, along with a few others.

Glad to hear your busy... always good to be busy...

Taker easy,

Don

Last edited by VictoryRoll; 10-25-2013 at 11:05 AM. Reason: additions on 10c
Old 10-25-2013, 04:02 PM
ahicks

VR, if you're on the market for a new radio, and have an open mind about it, suggest you at least check out the Hitec Aurora A9. I was seriously Futaba since they started selling them, but the price, look, feel, simplicity of programing, AND built in telemetry, all contributed to win me over. I've never had reason to bad mouth the radio yet, and that was when THEY first came out? Likely the most popular radio in our club among those that have been flying for a while/are pretty much committed to the hobby.

If you can't bring yourself to do that, I get it, but thought I'd run it by you.

And yes, they offer the throttle and split elevator adjustment you're talking about.

Last, have suffered through my last winter of not being able to/not wanting to fly due to cold. Sold our second/vacation home in northern Mi recently and bought one in Florida. Headed there the first of the month. I'm going to miss that place about as much as I do my old Futaba's!

Last edited by ahicks; 10-25-2013 at 04:11 PM.
Old 10-26-2013, 12:00 PM
VictoryRoll

Well, you know what Al, I didn't even think of the Aurora, so I thank you. I will absolutely go check it out at my LHS. I like a tad bit heavy radio, as Bill stated, so I am hopeful it has a little bit of weight and/or heft to it. Probably all the old Futaba's I have had biased me towards that. I'll give it a look online and do a comparison of each radio's feature list, as well as weight. Does the Aurora support my Futaba receivers? Esp. the 6008HS (high-speed), which is my favorite for most of my sport planes.

I wish you the very best with your new second home in FL. As mentioned, that is where I want to be in a few years, hopefully. The cold weather here really takes a toll on me, and really disrupts my time flying, obviously. Sure, I could do the ski's and such, but again, with a body full of arthritis, it is just not something I can do and still have fun.

I'll check out the Aurora, for sure and again, I wish you all the best in FL, although now I am jealous of you! !!!

Thanks for the advice/recommendation, much appreciated.
Old 10-26-2013, 02:35 PM
ahicks

Futaba servos, yes. For Futaba receivers to work, you would need to get a different module, probably not worth the trouble IMHO. I went A9 when switching to 2.4, so new receivers were part of the plan. They (Hitec) had a special when they released the A9, forget if it was 2, or 3 receivers were part of the deal. Made it a VERY attractive and painless switch.

Since, I've been getting my receivers on ebay. 6ch about 40, 7ch less than 50, new, free freight!

I'm also flying some electric EPP foam 3D trainers (I've become obsessed with them actually). Those need to be cheap to keep the costs down (< 100. complete, in the air, minus battery), so you aren't afraid of ..... grass stains? HK has stuff that seems to work fine for 12. (yes that's $12.00!) to 25.00, just watch out for micro connectors. They won't work with standard servos.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...rSearch=A-FHSS

I would not be one bit afraid to use these in less expensive planes, but might draw the line when it comes to a gasser?

Have fun making your decision. One of the more fun parts of the hobby, and you've got all winter to obsess over the decision prior to making the call!!
-Al

Last edited by ahicks; 10-26-2013 at 02:37 PM.
Old 10-31-2013, 01:45 PM
VictoryRoll

Yes, I agree with the module and the fact that I am pretty much imbedded into Futaba, after all these years. I am still not sure what I am going to do, as the telemetry is possible w/o moving into a new radio. I am sure Futaba will be coming out with a new radio in the next 1-3 years (all suppliers put out 2-4 radios a year it seems now!). I am so confused, lol I am now onto a new gasser ...lol.. maybe a Yak, as I was thinking of giving IMAC routines a try and if I am any good at all, take some lessons. Yaks seem to be a favored plane, but I am open. Any suggestions, more than welcome !

Boy those are inexpensive servos, for sure. I;'ll check them out, definately.

Although I do not own one, I was also interested in the foamie 3D'rs. Everyone I talk with and read about, get bitten once they try'm out.

Oh, and thanks for the wish for "thinking about my decision all winter" ! rofl It will probably take me that long since I am slow at everything these days!

Have fun !

Don
Old 11-03-2013, 03:16 AM
ShuttleAU

Default Shotdown on the Weekend

Hi

Two of us flying , both using Futaba radios and receivers and both lost all control at the same time. Came back for a second or two then went off again. Came back some time later. He recovered and I went through the trees into the ground. Very strange. Another field 10km South of us had the same problem at about the same time. Cannot tell if exactly the same time but it was close. The road that runs past our field also goes past theirs.

Anyway , the spinner hit first as you can see from the photos. Fuselage is repairable. Left wing has large dent in the leading edge. No photo sorry.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	4.21 MB
ID:	1936214   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 3.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	3.98 MB
ID:	1936215  
Old 11-03-2013, 03:35 AM
ahicks

Wow... sorry to hear about your plane. Is your Futaba on 2.4?
Old 11-03-2013, 05:29 AM
RoyR

Originally Posted by ShuttleAU
Hi

Two of us flying ,----- both lost all control at the same time.------ Very strange. Another field 10km South of us had the same problem at about the same time.------
No photo sorry.
Sounds like the government testing their EMP, getting ready for the "BIG" takedown. Either that or UFOs
Old 11-03-2013, 10:43 AM
ShuttleAU

Yes , both on 2.4
Old 11-03-2013, 11:50 PM
Robert Groves

Hello everyone. joining this thread today. I have done a liot of reading ...not 279 pages however what a loong thread.
i have the delivery man dropping off myn Revolver 70" this afternoon and my DLE 20 waiting to go in.
I have some questions that I could not find in the thread if someone wouldnt mind answering.

1. Versions of this plane. was the LG upgraded in a different version as I know the early ones were swept back and needed supporting. I'm off a paved runway.
2/ best Throttle servo position with DLE, think its a hassle, is everyone going ontop the engine box?

Sorry to hear about the damage with the futaba 2.4. I dont hear of such interference very often,...

Thank you kindly

Rob
Old 11-04-2013, 04:23 AM
ahicks

Welcome! If you're like most of us, you are likely receiving what will soon be your favorite plane!

Somebody else might know more about the latest and greatest LG, but I've heard nothing new about them?
Your fuel tank is going to be back against the wing tube, so you have a lot of room/options for the throttle servo? Keep it simple/easy?

To keep it light, pay attention to your CG from the time you open the box. Mount the stuff not easily relocated, like the engine and aileron servos, then see where everything else needs to be?

You've read about the mods to beef up the landing gear? If not, that's something you really need to consider. Much easier now, but if you don't do it know, you'll be doing it later.

Congratulations on the new bird!
-Al
Old 11-05-2013, 01:04 AM
Robert Groves

Thanks AL.
Got her yesterday and glued in the stab and wing hatch blocks as a start. nice looking plane, the blue colour is just great, didnt expect that great colour!
My LG are also somewhat swept back, will have to beef them up then, i dont think the normal extra epoxy will do what what ive read.

Is the CG correct at 5.5" or recommended closer to 6"?

I have also discovered a gap between trailing edge left wing and fuse, about a 1/4"...? Wing in tight and screwed in. left it as is, other side has a gap but not as big... im hesitant to change anything as its the wing tube that is probably set incorrectly.

Here to the build while im on leave, want to fly this baby on Friday before I travel for work...
Old 11-05-2013, 02:05 AM
ShuttleAU

Throttle servo.

I mount mine in the hole under the engine box. Then I install a CNC throttle arm on the throttle brass shaft.
You then have an almost straight line from servo to throttle. Put ball links on both and away you go.

Throttle arm here
http://hobbyking.com.au/hobbyking/st...s_Engines.html

Last edited by ShuttleAU; 11-05-2013 at 02:55 AM.
Old 11-05-2013, 04:05 AM
ahicks

Wing gap is not something I've experienced or heard much about. Maybe a pic?
Old 11-05-2013, 09:01 AM
mach2
My Feedback: (5)

Originally Posted by RoyR
Sounds like the government testing their EMP, getting ready for the "BIG" takedown. Either that or UFOs
HAHA. Gov EMP is exactly what I was thinking. Seriously. Were there any other planes in the air at the time at your field that were not effected?

I lost my second Rev to a signal loss. I was the only one in the air at the time. I figured it may have been an issue with my smoke pump causing interference, even though I had good distance from the Rx, but its the only thing I could think of. I was using the 6ex radio and 617rx. It was the 5th flight on the plane and I used smoke every flight. Such a beautiful plane and the smoke just took the flying fun to a new level. Unfortunately I wont be doing it again. I just can risk another plane to have smoke. Ill keep the smoke for a 30cc plane or bigger so I can get more distance between Rx and pump.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.