Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Larger Revolver

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Larger Revolver

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 01:18 AM
mach2
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alex, to me, my old flights are annoying to watch. Too much throttle, and erratic. I've toned it down a lot. Now I am comfortable knowing that the plane won't fall out of the sky when it slows down, haha.

Remember, I had only been flying for about 3-4 months when those videos were taken. I'm not much more experienced now, and am kinda starting over since its been almost a year and a half since I'd flown before last week. I just posted a video flying my Edge 540 today (you can find it on my YouTube channel). Much slower flying. I'm being the test dummy for the guys who are interested in the new RCGF 26cc beam mount engine. Their old 26 was apparently a piece of junk, so people are skeptical of the new one. So obviously, they don't want to spend hard earned cash on something that has no reviews from anyone. So far is been a crazy powerful motor. It weighs a little more than the DLE 20, but has a lot more power and compression (it's got 2 piston rings). The RCGF 26cc actually comes in at something like 23.3cc .

Oh, and for speed, other guys have run 15x8s and faster. So I'm not too speedy! But I honestly prefer a 17x6 for the DLE 20.

Jeremy

Last edited by mach2; 04-01-2014 at 01:20 AM.
Old 04-01-2014, 04:57 AM
el_xero
My Feedback: (2)

Originally Posted by mach2
Alex, to me, my old flights are annoying to watch. Too much throttle, and erratic. I've toned it down a lot. Now I am comfortable knowing that the plane won't fall out of the sky when it slows down, haha.

Remember, I had only been flying for about 3-4 months when those videos were taken. I'm not much more experienced now, and am kinda starting over since its been almost a year and a half since I'd flown before last week. I just posted a video flying my Edge 540 today (you can find it on my YouTube channel). Much slower flying. I'm being the test dummy for the guys who are interested in the new RCGF 26cc beam mount engine. Their old 26 was apparently a piece of junk, so people are skeptical of the new one. So obviously, they don't want to spend hard earned cash on something that has no reviews from anyone. So far is been a crazy powerful motor. It weighs a little more than the DLE 20, but has a lot more power and compression (it's got 2 piston rings). The RCGF 26cc actually comes in at something like 23.3cc .

Oh, and for speed, other guys have run 15x8s and faster. So I'm not too speedy! But I honestly prefer a 17x6 for the DLE 20.

Jeremy
I don't think you're giving your self enough credit bro. 3-4 months and you're doing those axial rolls/snaps? I understand how you feel about your flying but that's pretty darn good for someone who's essentially green. Either way practice makes better I'll check out the edge 540 vids. (I hear they tip stall though I loathe tip stalls) I love the look of the edge but my fave bird is an extra 300. For me I wouldn't touch anything but a DLE simply by virtue of my location. I need the piece of mind that it's going to work and that I can get a deal and send it back to "tower" if I have issues lol, so I'm with your guys on that one. I'm the test dummy at my field too, although that's starting to change, as since I've been successful at it so far other guys are starting to brave up and try new things as well haha.

17x6? meh that's kinda big-ish even though its just one inch longer than what I've got. I had that 16x6 on my 120AX on the revolver when I first got her. I've since given the engine away to chris as a thank you and decided to drop in the dle. Got those props with both engines in mind and won't be changing to a faster one. I don't want massive speed, just wanna cruise heh.

well time to go do some more work on this bird hopefully I'll be finished by the time the servos get here and be ready for a maiden hmm in a couple weeks... hopefully

Last edited by el_xero; 04-01-2014 at 05:00 AM.
Old 04-01-2014, 08:09 AM
motor12

I have been watching Mach2's old videos, the Revolver eats up a lot of sky when the left stick is pushed hard. As stated before when you first fly the Revolver there is a tendency to fly fast all the time, I also got more relaxed as the DLE20 started to get some time on it, and discovered it also will fly slow. Last week I landed with a couple bounces not a real big deal, but when I taxied back I noticed I had a small prop strike on my Xoar 16x8 wooden prop. I never saw it happen when landing and it touched down in front of me. The prop was trashed, I must have been a bit tail high on a bounce, and the gear has a fair amount of spring. Always carry a spare balanced prop, you may need it.

Last edited by motor12; 04-01-2014 at 12:27 PM.
Old 04-01-2014, 01:09 PM
mach2

Originally Posted by Dreamtime
Hi superduke1. The old timers on this thread no doubt have lots of info, but since I have just gone through this process, here is my take.
1 Use the stock mount -- works perfectly with the central portion cut out.
Agreed. They work very well.

As for the spinner alignment, it just takes a little time mounting the cowl to get it to align right. Im a newbie, so if I can do it anyone can. I know a lot of guys like to get the plane build and in the air, not worrying about the little details, but having a big gap between the spinner and cowl, or having them offset looks terrible and drives me nuts...but to each their own.

Jeremy
Old 04-01-2014, 01:25 PM
mach2

Thanks Alex. I does just take time. I was really enjoying my second revolver with the smoke until it went down from the equipment failure. With the second one, I got comfortable with it and realized how well this plane flies slowly. While being slippery and very fast, the awesome wing on the Revolver reminds me of a glider wing. And the shape makes it very solid and precise. I bet an IMAC pattern pilot would be impressed if they flew one of these planes. I dont have a lot of experience, but I think it flies better than most planes of its size (sport and pattern flying).

For my Edge, of course it doesn't fly as solid as the Revolver, but wow, does it do sweet blenders, pop tops and inverted flat spins! Im still getting the motor tuned on the newly built plane as well as the CG. I thought Id need more tail weight with the 26cc (it had my DLE20 on it before), but I was wrong. Right now it's flying tail heavy. Im stoked to fly her once i get the CG right and the motor dialed in! Its got mad vertical performance with the RCGF 26cc. It was good with the DLE, but the 26cc is on a different level. I felt comfortable trying the new motor out after talking to Joe at Southwest Aerovista for quite a while. He had used the motor and had nothing but good things to say about it. Plus, he is the authorized U.S.service center. So if I have any problem with it, I know exactly who will be doing the repairs on it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tsI...=youtube_gdata

Props....the 16x6 was a very good prop for the DLE/Revolver combo. Fast, but not crazy. I just liked the 17x6 better because it pulls vertical much nicer.

Your plane is going to look very cool with that color scheme! I dont think its the color that I dont like about the 50cc plane. Its the little differences in the airframe. The spinner is hideous, and the cowl looks a little different to me. It just likes a goofy big brother. But that's just me...

Jeremy

Last edited by mach2; 04-01-2014 at 05:26 PM.
Old 04-01-2014, 05:07 PM
SigMan
My Feedback: (21)

congrats !
Old 04-01-2014, 08:37 PM
el_xero

Thanks Alex. I does just take time. I was really enjoying my second revolver with the smoke until it went down from the equipment failure. With the second one, I got comfortable with it and realized how well this plane flies slowly. While being slippery and very fast, the awesome wing on the Revolver reminds me of a glider wing. And the shape makes it very solid and precise. I bet an IMAC pattern pilot would be impressed if they flew one of these planes. I dont have a lot of experience, but I think it flies better than most planes of its size (sport and pattern flying).

For my Edge, of course it doesn't fly as solid as the Revolver, but wow, does it do sweet blenders, pop tops and inverted flat spins! Im still getting the motor tuned on the newly built plane as well as the CG. I thought Id need more tail weight with the 26cc (it had my DLE20 on it before), but I was wrong. Right now it's flying tail heavy. Im stoked to fly her once i get the CG right and the motor dialed in! Its got mad vertical performance with the RCGF 26cc. It was good with the DLE, but the 26cc is on a different level. I felt comfortable trying the new motor out after talking to Joe at Southwest Aerovista for quite a while. He had used the motor and had nothing but good things to say about it. Plus, he is the authorized U.S.service center. So if I have any problem with it, I know exactly who will be doing the repairs on it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tsI...=youtube_gdata

Props....the 16x6 was a very good prop for the DLE/Revolver combo. Fast, but not crazy. I just liked the 17x6 better because it pulls vertical much nicer.

Your plane is going to look very cool with that color scheme! I dont think its the color that I dont like about the 50cc plane. Its the little differences in the airframe. The spinner is hideous, and the cowl looks a little different to me. It just likes a goofy big brother. But that's just me...

Jeremy
Hey you're welcomed! Those were good vids and you're right your flying has changed a bit for the better nice going! I don't fly as much as you guys over there, some times twice a month if I'm not very lucky, sometimes two months pass before we get to go out, so I always try to walk with a trainer to get the rust out, actually that's all I have with an engine right now ha.

Glad to hear the revolver makes for a nice pattern plane. I'm not ready for 3D not by a long shot, All those maneuvers you mentioned are what I wanna work on for now, too bad the revolver doesn't excel in them.

I'm sure the extra 300 is up for it though I'll get on her after I'm happy with the revolver.

That edge sounds sweet to fly but tail heavy? Scares my leg hairs off haha.

Those points you've mentioned about the 26cc are exactly why I stick with tower just as you said.
You know where to go and who to call and you will get the support. I stay away from all engines out of hobby king for that specific reason sweet deal or not I don't care.

So many ppl are talking about those wooden props, that Im really curious now. I might try that 17x6 after all, uum after I'm comfy landing her haha. Motor12's prop strike story is a little too familiar so I'm gonna play it safe ha.

Thanks a lot for the support on the color scheme man I really like that 50cc scheme easy and simple (but for some reason this time around this easy scheme is taking forever to complete...I keep messing up and making tons of waist with my coverings, never do this stuff tired i need to remember that)

I dunno I kinda like the spinner on the 50cc lol but I hear a few people don't like that plane one way or an other.
Me I like it, just the entry cost will def set clear of that plane for a while yet haha.

Did a little work tonight here are some pics just need to get some spray paint now. Most of the major stuff is done. Dont' have towers metallic blue..and don't like it either.. used black instead.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1436.JPG
Views:	116
Size:	2.19 MB
ID:	1983329   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1437.JPG
Views:	114
Size:	2.67 MB
ID:	1983330  

Last edited by el_xero; 04-01-2014 at 08:44 PM.
Old 04-01-2014, 10:59 PM
mach2

The only way I've learned to do blenders and pop tops is by using Realflight. A lot! There's no way I would have ever tried something like that without it. It builds muscle memory and confidence. Then I was able to feel like I could give it a shot. A pop top really has no danger to it since you're going up instead of falling to the earth. But a pop top and blender are an identical move, except for the throttle is applied at the end of a blender, and pulled back on the pop top. And of course the exit. I like to simply lessen down elevator input and stop rudder input and fly out inverted on the blender.

On that video from yesterday, I was not comfortable enough with the CG to use high rates and try any extreme (to me) maneuvers. As you said, it is a pretty tense experience flying the Edge while tail heavy. I'll try to keep the plane in one piece and get her dialed in so I can start to have some fun and keep the plane airworthy.

I'm also FAR from being a 3D pilot. In my opinion, a real 3D pilot is one who can confidently perform things like rolling harriers, hovering, torque rolls etc. I hope to learn how to hover before too long. I can easily do it on Realflight with the big 50% Hempel Edge 540. But thats a heck of a lot different that doing it with a small Edge 540 in real life. I know the bigger planes fly much easier. Kind of a catch 22. Big planes are much more expensive (so nobody wants to risk slamming an expensive bird into the ground) and are considered "advanced aircarft", BUT are much more stable than the little guys.

I had a small 55" GP Extra 300sp. I sold it. It may have been a good plane, but it just didn't have the power I like with the 55ax. It had a 46ax when I got it and it was horribly underpowered. Im sure a 30cc or bigger Extra would do do nicely. I know they are popular with 3D pilots and pattern pilots alike. I know Gabby Altuz likes that aircraft and does the unimaginable with the PAU Extra 300sp! That 300sp from PAU is a beautiful plane. I also like their 50cc Edge 540T. Its one of my considerations for a 50cc plane. That and the 50cc Raven.

Wood props - I prefer them not only because they are pretty, but because they transfer less stress to the motor, the mounts and the plane when you get a ground strike. As motor12 said, I always have at least one extra on hand. Also, you and others have mentioned liking nylon props because you get ground strikes. Do you still use them after they have been struck? I personally wont use any type of prop after its hit the ground. I'm very anal about making sure my props are balanced, and I'd also worry about the integrity of a prop that's had a strike. I wouldn't want it to have a hairline fracture that cant be seen and have it come apart in the air. That could cause some major damage. Just not worth the risk to me. I will be trying out a 3D prop from Redwing RC next time I'm out. They look very similar to a Vess. I like dealing with Redwing because their customer service is absolutely awesome. I give them a plug whenever I can because they're a good company and I know anyone who deals with them will not be disappointed. Nice props, and a few bucks less than Xoar. http://www.redwingrc.com/index.php?m...dkghq7qkau4dg5

I figured out what I dont like about the 50cc Rev. The cowl is just ugly, and the spinner is too big. I know the Rev has an over sized spinner, but the 50cc plane is just too much. the bottom of the 50cc cowl is too bulky. I know they did that to try and keep the engine from hanging out too much, but it just looks weird. The DLE 20 hangs out of the 70" rev, but the cowl shape still looks sleeker. Since the spinner is so big on the 50cc, the air inlets are under sized and are also shaped to a point on the outsides. I know Im nit picking the plane, but man do those little changes make a big difference in the appearance.

Also, I like that you are using the black instead of the blue. I think it goes with the red and orange better. The blue doesn't fit as well.

Alright, Im going to bed.
Cheers, Jeremy

Last edited by mach2; 04-01-2014 at 11:02 PM.
Old 04-02-2014, 06:27 AM
motor12

About wood props, I use wood on all but the smallest of my planes. A correctly balanced prop is the one least expensive ways to get peak performance out of your power plant electric or gas. I balance blades,hub, back plate and spinner. To get the hub balanced I use a lead tape I get from our local golf pro shop. One small roll should last a life time and it's easy to work with.
Old 04-02-2014, 06:54 AM
mach2

I use an APC 12x7 on my P51 with the thunder tiger .61 pro. I tried a 12" Xoar, but the performance was pretty poor. I think the APCs are ugly, but I'll take performance over looks any day.
Old 04-02-2014, 07:44 AM
el_xero

Originally Posted by motor12
About wood props, I use wood on all but the smallest of my planes. A correctly balanced prop is the one least expensive ways to get peak performance out of your power plant electric or gas. I balance blades,hub, back plate and spinner. To get the hub balanced I use a lead tape I get from our local golf pro shop. One small roll should last a life time and it's easy to work with.
You knooooww.. I've never thought of it that way.

I've never used wood hmmm but I'm thinking I might try it after reading all of what you guys are saying. I like APC. That and master airscrew are all I've ever used so I can comment much. I'm thinking though that a wood prop on the revolver might mess with my CG a bit if they are lighter. The APC I have is rather heavy IMO

I'm not clear on balancing black plates and hubs, if it's not too much trouble can you point me where to look for how to do this?
As planes get bigger these things get to a whole new level of seriousness.

Last edited by el_xero; 04-02-2014 at 08:11 AM.
Old 04-02-2014, 07:45 AM
el_xero

but I'll take performance over looks any day.
I second that one haha
Old 04-02-2014, 08:07 AM
el_xero

The only way I've learned to do blenders and pop tops is by using Realflight. A lot! There's no way I would have ever tried something like that without it. It builds muscle memory and confidence. Then I was able to feel like I could give it a shot. A pop top really has no danger to it since you're going up instead of falling to the earth. But a pop top and blender are an identical move, except for the throttle is applied at the end of a blender, and pulled back on the pop top. And of course the exit. I like to simply lessen down elevator input and stop rudder input and fly out inverted on the blender.

On that video from yesterday, I was not comfortable enough with the CG to use high rates and try any extreme (to me) maneuvers. As you said, it is a pretty tense experience flying the Edge while tail heavy. I'll try to keep the plane in one piece and get her dialed in so I can start to have some fun and keep the plane airworthy.

I'm also FAR from being a 3D pilot. In my opinion, a real 3D pilot is one who can confidently perform things like rolling harriers, hovering, torque rolls etc. I hope to learn how to hover before too long. I can easily do it on Realflight with the big 50% Hempel Edge 540. But thats a heck of a lot different that doing it with a small Edge 540 in real life. I know the bigger planes fly much easier. Kind of a catch 22. Big planes are much more expensive (so nobody wants to risk slamming an expensive bird into the ground) and are considered "advanced aircarft", BUT are much more stable than the little guys.

I had a small 55" GP Extra 300sp. I sold it. It may have been a good plane, but it just didn't have the power I like with the 55ax. It had a 46ax when I got it and it was horribly underpowered. Im sure a 30cc or bigger Extra would do do nicely. I know they are popular with 3D pilots and pattern pilots alike. I know Gabby Altuz likes that aircraft and does the unimaginable with the PAU Extra 300sp! That 300sp from PAU is a beautiful plane. I also like their 50cc Edge 540T. Its one of my considerations for a 50cc plane. That and the 50cc Raven.

Wood props - I prefer them not only because they are pretty, but because they transfer less stress to the motor, the mounts and the plane when you get a ground strike. As motor12 said, I always have at least one extra on hand. Also, you and others have mentioned liking nylon props because you get ground strikes. Do you still use them after they have been struck? I personally wont use any type of prop after its hit the ground. I'm very anal about making sure my props are balanced, and I'd also worry about the integrity of a prop that's had a strike. I wouldn't want it to have a hairline fracture that cant be seen and have it come apart in the air. That could cause some major damage. Just not worth the risk to me. I will be trying out a 3D prop from Redwing RC next time I'm out. They look very similar to a Vess. I like dealing with Redwing because their customer service is absolutely awesome. I give them a plug whenever I can because they're a good company and I know anyone who deals with them will not be disappointed. Nice props, and a few bucks less than Xoar. http://www.redwingrc.com/index.php?m...dkghq7qkau4dg5

I figured out what I dont like about the 50cc Rev. The cowl is just ugly, and the spinner is too big. I know the Rev has an over sized spinner, but the 50cc plane is just too much. the bottom of the 50cc cowl is too bulky. I know they did that to try and keep the engine from hanging out too much, but it just looks weird. The DLE 20 hangs out of the 70" rev, but the cowl shape still looks sleeker. Since the spinner is so big on the 50cc, the air inlets are under sized and are also shaped to a point on the outsides. I know Im nit picking the plane, but man do those little changes make a big difference in the appearance.

Also, I like that you are using the black instead of the blue. I think it goes with the red and orange better. The blue doesn't fit as well.

Alright, Im going to bed.
Cheers, Jeremy

You touched on a good many points here Jeremy. I use Realflight as well, not too long ago I figured out how I should be using it.
Mostly ppl get on a sim and just mess around. These days I have targeted thing's I try to work on whenever I get on it. I've practiced many a dead stick landings, many right after take off. It's helped in a big way.

For sure no one wants to risk damage to any plane to practice moves. I'm been thinking about building a flat out foamy for indoor practice and to
also teach my lil cousins (they bug me to no end but just can't be bothered to practice right, they even broke one of my sticks on my main radio A little CA fixed it,,but now they are banned haha)

Yeah I wouldn't touch a plane like that tail heavy.. heck I'm on edge (no pun intended) flying dead on CG even ha. Need more practice.
You've got balls brother!

Man I don't even want to even think about rolling circles and the like yet, My only concern right now, is coming back down and touching down with no incidents, servos aren't even here and I'm nervous. Watching this plane take shape again is really thrilling

I too am of the "over power the plane" school of thought I like having the option, however it comes with its pitfalls. Firewall may not be able to support a bigger engine (weight and thrust) landing gear may take a beating. You've gone and changed the wing loading, ditto for the pressure on the control surfaces probably increased your actual landing speed and I'm sure the list goes on.

So its kind of a calculated risk? The revolver manual calls for a .60 with servos pushing 70 oz in or there about.. with a .60 that's fine I'm sure.. but when you've doubled it up with something twice the power those servos may not cut it unless you're a docile flyer lol So I'm starting to re-think or at least think more about it and what I expect from a plane and the kind of flying I will be doing now.

I'm def going to check out those props from Redwing now you guys have gotten my interest peaked.

As to flying with a prop strike. I'll confess to doing it with my .40 size planes usually I'll get a very small scrape on the edge of the prop which can be sanded down (don't usually) and re-balanced. I know the implications of such a risk too (and we always carry plenty spare props)
So far no problems and getting fewer strikes. But when you get to the field and you only get two flights in after two weeks to two months, we just don't bother with a scrape or two. Bad bad practice which we will be fixing.

I wouldn't say you were nit picking, honestly man, you like what you like. Nothing wrong with that, besides it's these kinds of small details or other that makes a lot of people pick or pass on something. For me as I've said I loved the thing from the first day I saw it, I can't think of a single thing
I dislike about the 50cc lol not one. Okay well you're right the cowl does depart from the original design of both other iterations of the plane.
It is bulky and I do think they did that to cater for the engine but I just can't help it, lol I just love the thing. Perhaps they should have a couple of cowl options on that one eh?

Yeaah I really don't like that metallic blue. It does look great and when you take still shots of the plane on the ground and in flight, the way the the shadows and light play with it does look good to me.
To be honest though I don't see that In flight at all when I'm flying. The thing just looks black sometimes and other times blends with the sky. I'd rather just stick with black and be done with it ha.

Last edited by el_xero; 04-02-2014 at 08:15 AM.
Old 04-02-2014, 08:23 AM
el_xero

Okay so as promised I've got some stills of the re-build process. Sadly no actual stills of the crash it's self which is a real pitty.
Hope these are clear enough so you actually understand what you're seeing.

So got a dead stick and circled back to land, all looked well and suddenly it was like something pushed the plane down sharply. I remember it coming down on the nose and right wing. The whole front section just smashed, the back of the plane seemed fine (found some long cracks in the balsa and some bulk heads all fixed up now)
Chris makes two midsection bulk heads and sandwiches the existing bulk head between his, cements it in place with marine epoxy of some sort
(really really rock hard stuff this plane is going to be rather heavy I tell you!)
And that was phase 1 haha.

Then he tacks the whole smashed engine block up with thin CA and baking soda like a jig saw puzzle makes a new set of cut outs and rebuilds the thing so he can attach it to the existing rear fuse. I have those pics somewhere will try to find them.

Name:	IMG_0535.JPG
Views:	103
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	1983440   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0536.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	1983441   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0537.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	1983442   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0539.JPG
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	1983443   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0540.JPG
Views:	95
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	1983444   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0541.JPG
Views:	103
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	1983445   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0542.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	1983446   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0543.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	1983447  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0544.JPG
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	1983448   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0545.JPG
Views:	80
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	1983449   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0546.JPG
Views:	91
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	1983450  
Old 04-02-2014, 08:25 AM
el_xero

BTW those redwing RC planes that slick and S-Bach looks really really nice!!! might save up for one of those one day haha
Old 04-02-2014, 08:34 AM
motor12

el_xero every flight after the repair is free, now you can fly the snot out of her and not be worried about dinging up a new plane. I have to do that from time to time.
Old 04-02-2014, 08:48 AM
el_xero

Originally Posted by motor12
el_xero every flight after the repair is free, now you can fly the snot out of her and not be worried about dinging up a new plane. I have to do that from time to time.
haha you're right! We are all every one of us very nervous over here when we have a new bird on the ground or one with new paint job.

one of our guys is always all butterflies before his very first maiden and 99% of the time can't bring him self to power up for take off. Someone always has to take the first flight for him (usually Chris haha). But right after your first ding you just don't care anymore and then the fun can start.

Ugly planes don't crash they say! haha
Old 04-02-2014, 10:59 AM
el_xero

Does anyone think that this gap is going to be a problem? I don't like it. It was there from the very beginning though.
I've not fully tightened the wings down but it looks like that gap will be there again

I'm thinking that I should either fill it up with balsa sheeting or build a ring all round the outside of the wing here so the wing seems kind of recessed

here is the bottom fully covered.

And the top once more

Name:	IMG_1446.JPG
Views:	82
Size:	1.19 MB
ID:	1983477   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1447.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	1.55 MB
ID:	1983478   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1445.JPG
Views:	112
Size:	2.61 MB
ID:	1983479   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1440.JPG
Views:	96
Size:	2.62 MB
ID:	1983480   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1441.JPG
Views:	100
Size:	2.26 MB
ID:	1983481  

Last edited by el_xero; 04-02-2014 at 11:03 AM.
Old 04-02-2014, 06:08 PM
John C

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I started out with a Siato .91 on mine, but immediately installed my Saito 1.25 and it is only adequate power (at 5400') with 15% nitro on a 16 X 8 prop. That was last Fall. I haven't had it out yet this year. No issues balancing with this combination.

John C
Old 04-03-2014, 04:00 AM
el_xero

Originally Posted by John C
I started out with a Siato .91 on mine, but immediately installed my Saito 1.25 and it is only adequate power (at 5400') with 15% nitro on a 16 X 8 prop. That was last Fall. I haven't had it out yet this year. No issues balancing with this combination.

John C
Hm that FS .90 is equal to about a .60 two stroke right? I'm not really sure of the conversions.

Was that a wooden prop?

For me I'm def going to welcome the extra power of the DLE as my plane will likely be significantly heavier now
that it's re-built
Old 04-03-2014, 07:53 AM
John C

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For the record, the 16X8 prop mentioned above is an APC composite.

John C
Old 04-03-2014, 08:50 AM
mach2

Alex, if you want to try a Xoar 16x6 and/or a 15x8 let me know. I've got a few that I'm probably never going to use. If you're American lady friend will meeting up with you again, I can mail them over to her.

The 16x6 is a nice prop for the Rev. I've never tried the 15x8 but I've seen videos of them pulling the revolver at over 100mph. I've got three of them.
Old 04-03-2014, 08:57 AM
mach2

OH! This is off topic, but I hovered for the first time yesterday! I'm pretty pumped. I got the RCGF tuned just about right and the cg is much better (still just a tad too the rear). I was amazed that this motor was able to hover the plane at less than half throttle. I punched it out of the hover and she just started climbing again. Kinda like a space shuttle launch. A little slow at first, but then picked up speed.

I'm going out to the field again right now. I better hustle, my wife has a hair appointment this afternoon!
Old 04-03-2014, 04:32 PM
el_xero

Alex, if you want to try a Xoar 16x6 and/or a 15x8 let me know. I've got a few that I'm probably never going to use. If you're American lady friend will meeting up with you again, I can mail them over to her.

The 16x6 is a nice prop for the Rev. I've never tried the 15x8 but I've seen videos of them pulling the revolver at over 100mph. I've got three of them.
Oh yeah I'd surely like to test the difference between my apc and the xoar why not! thanks a bundle man! I'd be putting it on after I get comfy with the revolver.

She's long gone or I should say back here haha. I can still get it though my buddy in VA I'm email you with the details in a day or so thanks a bunch!
Old 04-03-2014, 04:34 PM
el_xero

OH! This is off topic, but I hovered for the first time yesterday! I'm pretty pumped. I got the RCGF tuned just about right and the cg is much better (still just a tad too the rear). I was amazed that this motor was able to hover the plane at less than half throttle. I punched it out of the hover and she just started climbing again. Kinda like a space shuttle launch. A little slow at first, but then picked up speed.

I'm going out to the field again right now. I better hustle, my wife has a hair appointment this afternoon!
He just keeps upping the anti this guy! I'd better get my butt on the flight sim again and get to practicing haha
Congrats enjoy it and keep pushing for more skill! Wish I could fly as much as you guys over there. sad very sad

All the guys here are itching to see mine take to the sky's pity I had to send those XQ's back I'd have been about ready to go by now, sigh.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.