Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Larger Revolver

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Larger Revolver

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 06:53 AM
warbird72
My Feedback: (79)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

YEAH!!! lol...
Old 07-02-2014, 01:57 PM
mach2
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Keeping the rev in the box for so long was kinda cool. It was like having a new plane again. Like Christmas twice.

I'm all excited about it again...
Old 07-02-2014, 11:52 PM
warbird72

I think im going to get another one. I have an os max 91fx. Im still trying to decide. My revolver flies like a dream. Going to be a sad day if it ever goes in. I know its going to. Just don't know when.
Old 07-03-2014, 03:19 AM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Not trying to discourage anyone regarding the purchase of a back up plane, but a few of us () have found them pretty sturdy when that day comes around? They're not going to survive one of those really special "arrivals", but I think they do well in anything less. Mine has been rebuilt from 3 really hard figure 9's to date. So much time spent flying the 3D foamies (low and slow), being close to the ground doesn't register properly any more. Not like it should anyway.....
Old 07-03-2014, 03:26 AM
warbird72

I hear ya there bro. That's why im not gonna even try to rebuild mine when it goes in! I don't want to add to much weight to it. If it's a simple matter yes. But a full rebuild game over. This plane likes to be light! Im certain I can't even come close to matching the weight. As long as they keep making the revolver. Seems every time they have a good flying plane. They discontinue it. Don't know why. But they do.just like good engine's. Most are not in production any longer ...
Old 07-03-2014, 05:55 AM
RoyR

I imagine they are discontinuing glow engines because no one buys them anymore. (OK, so I'm not completely negative, not as many people buy them anymore) I am switching from glow to gas and electric and have YS 4 strokes, one practically new, a couple of Saito 4 strokes, Super Tiger and a number of 2 strokes. I can't even give them away, much less sell them.
Old 07-03-2014, 07:53 AM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RoyR
I imagine they are discontinuing glow engines because no one buys them anymore. (OK, so I'm not completely negative, not as many people buy them anymore) I am switching from glow to gas and electric and have YS 4 strokes, one practically new, a couple of Saito 4 strokes, Super Tiger and a number of 2 strokes. I can't even give them away, much less sell them.
I got rid of all my glow and went gas except two 40 size glow planes.If I could find gas that size that I liked those would be gas too. It was the best choice I ever made with my RC planes. I thought I would miss the glow and truth is, I have no regrets about it.
Old 07-03-2014, 08:35 AM
warbird72

Aww come on. You know you have to miss the smell of glow fuel first thing in the morning lol. I would for sure. I have gassers to. And two electric planes. The rest are expensive to fly. Im the same way. If they would make a gasoline engine small enough and powerful enough. I would change over to. But I really like that smell I grew up on it..
Old 07-03-2014, 08:43 AM
lean-run

Originally Posted by Luchnia
I got rid of all my glow and went gas except two 40 size glow planes.If I could find gas that size that I liked those would be gas too. It was the best choice I ever made with my RC planes. I thought I would miss the glow and truth is, I have no regrets about it.
It's like that, isn't it? Thought the gas would be a novelty between glo models, now I don't even know where my glo battery is.

Have DLE20 added now for the Revolver. Had to finish a scratch-build before assembling or it never would be finished once the Revolver is flying.
Anyhow its mid-winter here, so time to have them both finished for suitable weather.

Maybe if I get a tax-return I might get a "spare" Revolver............

edit: Yes warbird72 I grew up on glow fuel too. (and the calming effect of the ether in diesel fuel!). Will have to fly glo occasionally just to keep the memory.

Last edited by lean-run; 07-03-2014 at 08:55 AM.
Old 07-03-2014, 01:39 PM
SigMan
My Feedback: (21)

i got it, i am going start making additives that makes gassers smell like glow engines....im rich !
Old 07-03-2014, 03:13 PM
warbird72

NITRO lol!!
Old 07-03-2014, 03:29 PM
RoyR

Originally Posted by warbird72
Aww come on. You know you have to miss the smell of glow fuel first thing in the morning lol. I would for sure. I have gassers to. And two electric planes. The rest are expensive to fly. Im the same way. If they would make a gasoline engine small enough and powerful enough. I would change over to. But I really like that smell I grew up on it..

I do agree with you. When I moved here I began switching to electric because so many in the club were all electric. It is convenient, easy, fast, clean, nothing to carry to the flight line except your plane and transmitter. Then I bought my first gas. It is also convenient and easy, but it has the pop pop sound that I so love. That's why I haven't gone all electric and am buying more gas. But there are still one or two that come out with their glow engines and I realize I do miss the smell, the sound, plugging the glow starter in, and for me easy to tune. The only thing I don't miss about glow is cleaning up. So I still have a 4Star 40 glow and a Super Sportster with a YS 120. I just don't have any glow fuel, or battery for starting. But I will keep them and probably get a gal of fuel every now and then.
Speaking of the club. There are so many electrics that I get complaints when I pull the stand way off and tune my DLE. (It's in fun though. They really don't get mad. I hope)
Old 07-03-2014, 03:53 PM
warbird72

They fly everything at the clubs I fly at! They don't mind at all lol.. The thing I cant stand if the fact that someone will show up with an electric and say wanna race!! Then peal your covering off as they fly pass you .. Other than that its all good, We have a few electrics to we fly out back! I have my GF and her son flying now! Everyone has there own planes!! But rather find a woman that likes what you like to do.. I am to the point that I'm going to let her son give it a crack on the revolver.. He is 6 with ama! awesome little pilot I must add. Its a fun hobby! Been doing it since I was 8 ! My father had gotten killed before I soloed.. He started all this lol. Great memory's. It all started with castor and nitro!! wow that smell that old fuel soaked planes get! kinda takes me back to my child hood!! Man I can pin point that smell at an old run down flea market. I find those old planes. I can smell them haha.
Old 07-03-2014, 04:46 PM
ahicks

I caught my first whiff of glow fuel in the late 50's. After converting to gas, apparently I'd had enough as I don't miss that smell a bit! Wall full of glow engines I once had are all gone. Now limited mostly to just those in planes hanging from the rafters of the garage! I actually used a lot of that money to convert to 2.4.

I do admit though, to an addiction to elec. foamies. Can't get enough of that now. EPP foam the greatest thing since sliced bread. It takes some doing, but when it does break, it's more of a tear. Nice and clean, very easily repaired, and plain old CA works fine.... Awesome feature for learning 3D and the resulting constant encounters with the ground.....

Warbird - talking about small enough? Check out the 10cc Evo baby gasser. Got my first going not too long ago in a 58" 6.5lb Yak. Still breaking in, but already has unlimited vertical. Turning an 11x6 at 13.5k. Supposed to work well with up to a 13x6 when broken in..... Is that "small" enough?

Last edited by ahicks; 07-03-2014 at 04:57 PM.
Old 07-03-2014, 06:41 PM
warbird72

Oh wow. Im going to look it up!! Thank you much.
Old 07-04-2014, 12:57 AM
mach2

Got all the holes drilled for the hinges. Rudder will go on tomorrow. The little Robart drill guide makes drilling straight holes easy. 5 bucks well spent. I've gotten tons of use out of it.

The elevator hinges went on without any fuss...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20140704_014649.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	2.55 MB
ID:	2011512   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140703_233534.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	3.04 MB
ID:	2011513   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140703_233226.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	3.17 MB
ID:	2011514  
Old 07-04-2014, 03:24 AM
warbird72

Ahicks. Great call. Not bad price either. I have seen that engine once before someplace. I just never really looked into it. I went into some threads last night. Pretty impressive little power plants. Thanks alot. May end up with one soon. Im finishing up an escapade 46 now. Gotme tthinking about that engine for that. Happy 4th everyone..
Old 07-04-2014, 02:33 PM
mach2

RCGF has a little 15cc beam mount engine. Not sure if that would be to heavy for the plane, but it would definitely have more than enough power! I think when dealing with real small gas motors, the weight between a 10 and 15cc engine won't be huge because much of the weight is the ignition (which will be same for each motor). So I'd think if you could use a 10, you could probably use a 15cc and the extra power would outshine the little bit of extra weight...

Last edited by mach2; 07-04-2014 at 02:40 PM.
Old 07-04-2014, 04:48 PM
teckbot

Another good day out. Put two flights on the Rev / DLE20RA. Really good flyer, almost to the point of being relaxing to fly. Was attempting to do basic IMAC patterns this afternoon. The throttle curve on the DLE is not very friendly, seems like all the action happens at or below 50% stick movement and then from 50-100% (stick) there is maybe 20% engine response. Need to modify throttle curve on radio to closer match what's happening at engine.
Old 07-04-2014, 05:49 PM
RoyR

Originally Posted by ahicks
I caught my first whiff of glow fuel in the late 50's. After converting to gas, apparently I'd had enough as I don't miss that smell a bit!
OK, sorry if I'm getting Way off topic. But when I was in Vietnam in 1967 some of us flew Control lines while there and we were able to buy Japanese engines and fuel at the PX. The fuel we used had the weirdest smell. Nothing like the Glow fuel we were used to. We called it "rice fuel" but it worked.
Old 07-05-2014, 01:35 AM
mach2

Originally Posted by teckbot
Another good day out. Put two flights on the Rev / DLE20RA. Really good flyer, almost to the point of being relaxing to fly. Was attempting to do basic IMAC patterns this afternoon. The throttle curve on the DLE is not very friendly, seems like all the action happens at or below 50% stick movement and then from 50-100% (stick) there is maybe 20% engine response. Need to modify throttle curve on radio to closer match what's happening at engine.
It's best to set up you servo and throttle arms where the servo arm is short and the throttle arm is long (using the throttle arm extension). But to really fine tune it, having a radio that has expo on the throttle channel is needed. Quite a bit of expo is needed from my experience. Otherwise you'll have what you mentioned, anything above half stick is about full throttle.
Old 07-05-2014, 03:35 AM
ahicks

Teckbot - re: the non-linear throttle, welcome to gas. The action you describe below half stick is completely typical - for all of them! Once the carb is open about 50-60%, there's not a lot to be gained by opening any further. A lot of us use a linkage set up that uses a lot of mechanical differential, then trim as required electronically. Works awesome, eliminating any trace of that problem. Getting just that couple hundred rpm necessary to check you descent deep in a perfect flair is done easily.

If you haven't seen it yet there's a fairly well done diagram that's a big help in getting your head wrapped around the required linkage setup, and I haven't seen it posted lately so I'll re-post. It's also available up in the newbie/reference at the top of the gas engine section. Jedijody usually gets the credit for it, but it was actually done by a guy that goes by "joeairport" that hangs out on another forum. It should be noted that the diagram does exaggerate the required differential. If you start with the servo arm pointed directly at the throttle servo as illustrated in that top frame, it will be difficult to trim your idle, or close the throttle completely to shut the engine down. You should actually start out with something closer to what is shown in the second frame. That will leave you with enough movement to adjust/kill. Anyway, once this is set up, final setup using radio much easier. Also - this is much easier to do than it is to describe once you have the idea. The take away point is that the 50/50 setup normally using on your flying surfaces doesn't work as well when used on the throttle. -Al

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Throttle Geometry.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	2011801  

Last edited by ahicks; 07-05-2014 at 03:39 AM.
Old 07-05-2014, 06:17 AM
lean-run

I remember not that long ago when I started flying gas pondering on the same issue. Can't remember what thread I was looking at the time, but coincidentally the diagram was used to explain the mechanical differential then to some-one. It was like the fog lifted, the lights came on everything was clear.
Like the idea of mechanical set-up and then try fine tune with radio.(still finding it hard to figure how many functions modern radio can do!)

Very useful and well set out diagrams to show the way.
Old 07-05-2014, 12:44 PM
teckbot

Al,
Very good explanation and drawing. Thank You
Gabor
Old 07-05-2014, 01:53 PM
teckbot

Originally Posted by mach2
It's best to set up you servo and throttle arms where the servo arm is short and the throttle arm is long (using the throttle arm extension). But to really fine tune it, having a radio that has expo on the throttle channel is needed. Quite a bit of expo is needed from my experience. Otherwise you'll have what you mentioned, anything above half stick is about full throttle.

Hey mach2,
A friend at the field was talking about exactly the same thing yesterday, thanks for the tip.
Gabor

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.