Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Larger Revolver

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Larger Revolver

Old 07-09-2014, 01:58 PM
SkyPilot101

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Al, just think,you get to build another one! That in itself compensates for the loss of the old one. Getting a new plane is always a good day!
Old 07-09-2014, 04:32 PM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Lot of truth in that thought for sure! I'm also liking the idea there will be a lot of building decisions made based on already having done it once already, as well as knowing where a few of the weak spots are due to some previous,,,,, um, experience? Won't have to think out and track down materials for the control surface linkage/push rods and so on either. That stuff was all recovered and is in fine shape. The genuine A123 battery, the one you aren't supposed to drain completely, or leave out in the weather? That made it too (after 2 big storms!). Charger complained about "low voltage" at first, but when I plugged a second battery into it for a few minutes it took right off, putting 2100 mah into a 2300 mah battery! So we're lookin good. Hopefully get a Rev 70 back on the flying list soon, and with any luck at all, it will last as long as this one has! -Al
Old 07-09-2014, 05:19 PM
mach2
My Feedback: (5)

Originally Posted by teckbot
Nice work! I like the hinging. My question or concern to you would be CG related. Would not having two servos way back there not affect in a negative way? I have a three servos (center) setup in mine with a DLE20 in the front and it balances perfect without any lead. Having the servos - as light as they are - in the back would necessitate counter balance in the front?
Just asking..
Im one who's found that I like the CG a little further back. I ran my LiFe pack as far back as possible (behind all the servos, under the rods running to the rudder and elevators) to get the CG around 6.25-6.5". I found that it still flies rock solid but has better slow flight and slower landings. On my second Rev I had a smoke system that put the weight around 11.5 pounds! Talk about a porker! I used the large fuel tank for my smoke oil and ran something like an 8 or 10oz tank for the fuel so I had enough smoke for the whole flight. Anyway, it still flew very well (even slow!). This plane simply has a superb wing on it.

So, to answer your question, I plan on moving my battery up onto the engine box and see where that gets me. Im shooting for 6.25" again and I may move it back more and try and find a more perfect CG. I have a feeling that 6.5 to 6.75" may be the perfect balance between performance and solid/stable flight. This plane's design seems to make it inherently stable, so CG changes dont seem to effect it as much as other aerobatic aircraft.

With more throw on this one, I'm wanting to get a much flatter spin out of it. I love doing blenders and ending up with a super flat spin! Flying the Edge makes me want to push the limits on the Revolver now.

Last edited by mach2; 07-09-2014 at 07:07 PM.
Old 07-09-2014, 11:25 PM
Dreamtime

Hi Mach -- the Revolver seems to do blenders rather well and looks really pretty doing them. I also fly with CG about 6.25". This requires aft servos. I also have my tank back onto the wing tube. I was thinking the other day that there will always have to be a Revolver 70 in the stable -- they are just great planes.
Old 07-10-2014, 03:07 AM
teckbot

Well, i don't blend or do flat spins - at least not intentionally - LOL. Mine is set up very conservatively compared to yours. But this is only my second gas plane, although i consider it first as it is a very comfortable plane to fly and transition from the foamies to internal internal combustion.
It is nice to see how versatile the Revolver can be. And be nice to some videos posted of like flying, most Rev online videos are turn and burn.
Old 07-10-2014, 03:58 AM
ahicks

Teckbot - you're touching on why I beleive this plane is so well accepted by such a wide variety of pilots. The speed envelope it can easily be flown in, from creepy hold your breath slow, to well into triple digits, is the widest of any plane I've ever had any experience with (lost count of how many planes I've had a long time ago). The R-70 designer tripped into a design capable of making anyone flying it feel comfortable, and look great while doing it!

For a clearer idea/verification of how well the plane has been accepted in the RC community, it's popularity can easily be measured/confirmed by the number of replies and views here in the thread at RCU. Compare those to any other plane you can find here for an idea of how popular it is? We're now over half a million views by guys following what's going on here. What's up with that? As somebody mentioned earlier, this thing has an almost cult like following!
Old 07-10-2014, 07:39 AM
mach2

Maybe we're all just a bunch of crazy obsessives...
Old 07-10-2014, 04:48 PM
ahicks

That love to fly?
Old 07-10-2014, 05:14 PM
microdon2
My Feedback: (47)

... that love to fly beautiful, reasonably-priced sport airplanes with excellent handling, a wide performance envelope and forgiving flight characteristics?
Old 07-11-2014, 03:34 AM
ahicks

We must be nuts....
Old 07-11-2014, 09:16 AM
mach2

I know I am.
Old 07-11-2014, 12:58 PM
wjcalhoun

Al:
Sorry to here of the demise of your R70.
How long until the new one is flying?

BIll
Old 07-11-2014, 04:43 PM
ahicks

Bill,
A week maybe, but hopefully no more than 2? Depends on the honey do list (I won't even get into that) and how much time I'm allowed to keep it on the front burner.

Brown truck stopped out front today, and this smallish woman UPS driver dragged this largish box into the garage for me. She's an RC nut too. She saw it was from Tower Hobbies and had to give me a rash over it when she found out it was a "replacement" rather than an "addition".... Sheesh! Can't get away with anything around here...

Bill, thinking you have a 70" and the big Rev. Which do you fly more?

I ask because I was out playing with an 10cc Evo baby gasser again today. It's installed in a 58" 6.5 lb Yak. Great performance including unlimited vertical. Engine getting some time on it now, starting to feel solid, to the point needle adjustments aren't being used much any more. Haven't had it long. Maybe 15-20 flights on it, so still getting it dialed in.At this point it's close to "on par" with the Rev handling but much more nervous/twitchy, plus it's still got a major dose of wing rock when slowed down. Still, with a little (lot?) more tweaking, I can see this thing becoming as addictive as the Revolver. I bring this up because I haven't flown either of my 30cc planes (80" Katana and Giant Sportster) in 2 years now? These smaller planes are so much easier to handle/transport, well, the love is gone regarding the bigger planes?
-Al

Last edited by ahicks; 07-11-2014 at 04:45 PM.
Old 07-12-2014, 12:49 AM
Dreamtime

Hi Al. Pleased to hear that the next Revolver is well on it's way. I am also having a lot of fun with that little Evo10cc. Packs a lot of grunt and generally runs beautifully. I have just got another one. The smaller species are certainly easier to manhandle and with these reliable little gassers, I am a happy camper.
Old 07-12-2014, 03:35 AM
teckbot

After a week off with l/g mount repairs finally had the Rev out yesterday at the field. Approach from right to left is much more favorable as it much more open, but with a slight tail wind. As we have a good long landing strip guys with bigger planes come in from there even with the wind. So i decided to try that myself. Came in hot and bounced, ok - i recovered and went around and landed into the wind without fuss. When i came to a stop i noticed it was sitting slightly crooked - DOH! Happy to report that my repairs held! Cracked on of the legs instead.
But i was most happy that my brand new Xoar prop will fly another day!!! LOL
Old 07-12-2014, 12:18 PM
Dreamtime

Hi teckbot. Good to hear about the repairs holding up. What are your plans for the gear leg? I also note your comment about getting some vids up. You are right that there is nothing but 'burning' up the sky. Unfortunately we don't have any decent video equipment our way, but you remind me to give it a go someday. It would be nice to record what this beauty can do.
Old 07-12-2014, 01:27 PM
mach2

My wife is decent at video (compared to so many horrible videos on YouTube). Maybe I can get her out to do some vid when I finish building "#3". I also just bought a small camera that I'm going to mount on my Edge. I've got an old spare canopy for it that I don't mind messing up while mounting. Maybe I can figure out a mounting option for the Revolver.

Last edited by mach2; 07-12-2014 at 01:31 PM.
Old 07-13-2014, 04:47 AM
teckbot

Gear is on order. Checked with supplier and it is in stock, so I should have it Wednesday. Good timing as it is our clubs family fun fly BBQ on Saturday.
Need some tips for the DLE20 though. Runs really smooth on idle and full power, but it sounds like sputtering in the mid range. I don't have a lot of experience with tuning. Any thought are appreciated.
Old 07-13-2014, 05:33 AM
ahicks

First, simplest, try opening the plug gap to .025. Sounds crazy, but you might be surprised at the results. That move alone cures much of the issue on many of them almost completely! Same trick works as well on the engines in the 30-35cc class as well, and there is absolutely no downside of any kind. It works. It's free. It's easy to do. Try it if you haven't already.

After that, the mid range burbling is caused by a rich low speed mixture. That same rich low speed mixture allows the engine to be started easier, all but eliminates the potential for the engine to quit in flight, and reduces or eliminates an issue known as "high idle hang" that is often seen in 2 cycle engines that are tuned right on the edge (no matter what size displacement or how many cylinders they have!). When the throttle is pulled back to idle, the engine "hangs" at a high idle for several seconds, then comes down to what you expected it to come down to (really disturbing on final approach).

Unless you are one of those that enjoys endless tinkering with your needle settings, suggest you run it as is, burbling and all, and fly the heck out of it! It's a much friendlier engine all around when set that way....

Last thought on "burbling". Note that the engine is generally "coasting" when this is happening. There's very little load on it. Pull up or bank hard into a turn and that burbling will stop immediately. If it's really making you crazy, you could load the engine up with a bigger prop or more pitch. Problem doing that is you'll likely be affecting your performance for the worse. -Al

Last edited by ahicks; 07-13-2014 at 05:37 AM.
Old 07-13-2014, 05:48 AM
teckbot

Originally Posted by ahicks
suggest you run it as is
Al, I think you may be onto something! Many times I / we tend to over analyze things that are not broken, but still feel the need to fix them.
The motor starts great and runs fine, (knock on wood) has not quit on me yet.
Gabor
Old 07-13-2014, 07:23 AM
mach2

I normally burn about 1/3 of a gallon through it before do any real fine tuning. I make sure it has enough power and isn't easy too rich, but I do run then a little on the rich side fir a few days before getting it running like a top.

Open the plug gap now though, for sure. I actually run mine at .026"on the DLE and .028" on the RCGF. Anyway. It does make the engine run much nicer.

I wouldn't leave the engine rich in the long run. It will load up the spark plug and piston top with nasty carbon deposits. It will also spit a little more crap out on your plane. I like less clean up. It's one of the great perks of a gas engine.

So all in all, getting your engine tuned right will...
-give maximum power, or as close to it as is safe for the motor.
-keep the muffler and plane clean
-reduce carbon build up on the top of the piston
-reduce our eliminate the annoying popping and sputtering

It's an easy adjustment too. Simply turn the "L" needle clockwise with a flat blade screwdriver. If you're not familiar with tuning, I suggest a 1/8 turn at a time. A little goes a long way on a gas carb. If you make large adjustments you will end up chasing your tail and get frustrated. I've seen guys in my club do it and they think there is something wrong with the engine.

Fly it, make a turn. Fly it make a turn. Keep doing this until the burble is gone, or reduced to where you can live with it. A little bit is where I like it. If you go to lean, it may make the engine hard to start, and/or die in flight. If that happens just go back an 1/8 of a turn.

Last edited by mach2; 07-13-2014 at 07:30 AM.
Old 07-13-2014, 01:30 PM
wjcalhoun

Hi Al:
I do have both the R70 and the R90. Which i fly more is hard to quantify. I love the R90 for a relaxing day of 'sport' flying. The colors and patterning present well against most skies (in Texas, ours are usually blue, but occasionally that grey haze will appear). It is probably a bit easier to maintain perspective at distance with the R90 than the R70, based on color as well as size.

You may remember that the way my R70 is set up and propped, it is a speed plane, typically 90+ mph at 3/4 throttle, and 105-110 airspeed at WOT. Running downwind with 20 knots on the surface, it covers a lot of ground quickly. Even on low rates, i have to be with it mentally all the time; she'll easily roll 540-720*/sec when wide open. The R70 snaps more quickly than the R90. The R70 also flat spins more cleanly - more horizontally - although that may be a CG issue as much as anything. The R70 enters knife edge spin well, and transitions cleanly from that to inverted flat spin. The R90 will do all that, its just a little slower, "more scale" as they say. All in all, MY R70 is a quicker, more agile aiframe than MY 90 - caps for emphasis because as you well know, the setup is at least as important as the airframe.

If you are used to the quickness and precision of an Extra / Edge / Sbach (and probably other aerobatic airframes), then the R90 will not meet that bar. On the other hand, if you want a plane that is honest, reasonably forgiving, and fun, i think the R90, like its little sister the R70, is a good buy.

Best,

Bill
Old 07-14-2014, 12:41 AM
lean-run

Yes to opening plug gaps, makes tuning easier and motor runs sweeter.

Maidened scratch build with RCGF 20. Two good things from that: a/ it flies and b/ now start slotting DLE 20 into Revolver!
Old 07-14-2014, 01:57 AM
Dreamtime

Hi teckbot -- you have had good feedback about the burble from the 'masters'! In my experience, once that plug gap is sorted, a little midrange burbling is normal while breaking the engine in -- my club mates (very experienced gas engine flyers) all advised me to keep this setting for several tanks while breaking in, and I have only recently tuned it out. It took the tiniest screw driver width only on the LS needle and now is perfect. I was also new to this once and also overanalysed as you say, but this is what quality forum like this is all about -- being able to ask.
Old 07-14-2014, 04:00 AM
Stone17

Flying in no wind over the weekend.
My friend was showing me how to land the Revolver 70 nice and slow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxNO...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by Stone17; 07-14-2014 at 04:12 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.