Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Larger Revolver

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Larger Revolver

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2014, 10:06 AM
CARS II
My Feedback: (7)

Received 123 Likes on 106 Posts

I decided to rebuild my GP Revolver 70, I had it in storage for about three years, I was curious to see the airframe structure, I removed the covering and what I found ( I knew this already ) was an electric airplane disguise as a gas airplane, looking at the structure you can tell that the Revolver was designed mostly for an electric power plant, I'm in the process of rebuilding the Revolver because it flys really good but I will not install a DLE 20 as previously planned, it may get an OS 91 four strokes instead.

I have enjoy building many GP airplanes throughout the years but since I'm now flying gas powered airplanes and after the experience we just had with the Citabria not been strong enough for a gas power plant, I have come to the conclusion that GP doesn't have any more to offer me, their designes are mostly oriented to the electric comunity and I'm not going that way at the moment ( may be never again ) I was doing the electric thing but got out completely, no more Li-Pos for me, I just love the smell of nitro, gas and Kerosen ( for my turbine ) the only electric motors that I run now are the ones from my electric pumps.

Hasta la vista GP, happy trails to you, and thanks for many years of fun.

I just needed to take that out of my chest

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XcYsO890YJY

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	141203_0007.jpg
Views:	359
Size:	210.6 KB
ID:	2051894   Click image for larger version

Name:	141203_0008.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	226.8 KB
ID:	2051895  

Last edited by CARS II; 12-03-2014 at 10:13 AM.
Old 12-03-2014, 02:07 PM
mach2
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you give some back story on what happened with it before it went into storage? It looks like the side of the fuse is gone. Did the whole wing come off in the air, or was the plane crashed? And it's hard to see exactly what you're pointing at in the picture. Is the firewall coming loose? It looks like the plane was crashed. The engine box is all busted up...

Last edited by mach2; 12-03-2014 at 02:12 PM.
Old 12-03-2014, 05:43 PM
microdon2
My Feedback: (47)

CARS II - Not quite sure where you're coming from - you like the 70" Revolver enough to re-build it (after an apparent crash), and will install an OS 91 2s, but you're swearing off of Great Planes. While I do share your affection of the Rev 70, AND the Rev 59 (I have two of each and have crashed a few more...), I beg to differ about the ability of GP planes to handle gas engines. The DLE 20 is, IMHO, the perfect engine for the Rev 70. Yes, it's a close fit, but fit it does. Besides myself I know of at least three other guys who have the exact same configuration, not to mention the many on Youtube. For reinforcement I do add some corner-reinforcement around the outside of the engine box, and you have to move two of the four firewall blind nuts, but, other than that, the Rev 70 is MORE than strong enough to handle the DLE 20. btw - If you like speed, power, or vertical, you may be disappointed with your planned Rev 70 \ OS 91 4s pairing. The smallest Nitro engine I'd recommend for the Rev 70 is a 91 2s or 120 4s. Either way, though, the Rev 70 is a fantastic flying airplane - one of my favorites. (also, you may want to use Robart hinges instead of the stock cloth hinges that come with the plane.)

My other Rev 70 has a YS 140 4s. Ok, slight overkill, but I LOVE that power, and that fantastic, deep YS 4s sound.

btw - I just finished rebuilding a Rev 59, with an OS 91 2s. Flies AWESOME - excellent speed and vertical! And now I'm re-building a Rev 59 with an OS 91 4s. (I crashed both of these last year, due to my own mistakes. Just now getting around to it.) I love having both the Rev 70 and Rev 59 in my RTF active fleet.

Good luck with your build.

Last edited by microdon2; 12-03-2014 at 05:46 PM.
Old 12-04-2014, 12:52 AM
CARS II
My Feedback: (7)

Received 123 Likes on 106 Posts

I hear you guys, the Revs are one of the nice's flying airplanes, my disappointment is that GP is making their newest airplanes too weak for gas and I'm afraid they will continue doing that to please the electric modelers, I just don't want to invest on another one of their airplanes and the have to reinforce it and do mods to make it safe and strong for gas.

On the picture I'm not pointing I'm holding it ( sorry for the confusion ) it crashed on the runway as I was making a very slow approach with the flaperons deployed on a day with light winds, well the wind stopped when the airplane was about eight feet above the runway and it just pancaked on the runway, totally pilot error, the engine box has been put thogather as the rest of the fuse, I got some more details to do on the fuse the it should be ready to sand then recover, the wings didn't suffer any damage, I will recover with different colors.

Thanks for the tip regarding the recomendded engine for the Rev, I had a super tiger 90 on it before and it flew awesome but the ST engine sucks too much fuel and nitro is getting more expensive by the year, that is why I made the move to gas.

Last edited by CARS II; 12-04-2014 at 01:11 AM.
Old 12-04-2014, 05:59 AM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Not sure why you consider the Rev 70 inadequate for gas? Why you think it may hold up better with electric power? In my experience, (I've had and crashed a few gassers now, including my first R70), and it holds up fairly well when compared to about anything else I've ever had in it's size and weight range.

You're note regarding the lack of damage to the wings (and very likely from the trailing edge of the wing back), speaks volumes!

Planes should be judged regarding how well they stay together before you crash them, not after. There are a LOT of these around that have 20cc power that are holding together remarkably well, especially considering the power they were originally designed to handle.
Old 12-29-2014, 01:06 PM
frankeldan

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

So.. After 5 years of flying the Revolver it's stuck up in a tree. The engine, a Saito fa-125 came off the plane. This tree is in our flight path and I never go near it .. But not today.. I'll get another one. This is the BEST sport airplane out there!!! , I own quite a few and this has always been my go to plane.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	369
Size:	903.0 KB
ID:	2058747  
Old 12-29-2014, 01:26 PM
microdon2

frankeldan - very sorry to see that. It looks like it's really hung up there. How high up? If it's not TOO high (up to 40 ft?) I have used this technique - tie one end of a ball of string around a heavy rock (but not TOO heavey) - unspool lots of string and then throw the rock up and over the nearest branch. Let the rock fall back to the ground, now looped over that branch. Grab both ends of that string and tug on the branch until the plan shakes loose. Has worked for me a few times. Just be ready to catch it if \ when it falls! Hope you get it back, at least to recover what you can. Good luck!
Old 12-29-2014, 02:56 PM
frankeldan

Microdon- it's up about 40 ft.. I was able to use a fishing pole to send a line up, then I tied a heavier rope to it. I tugged and tugged every which way and it just won't come out. You can see the rope in the pic. I need to get one of the farmer's helpers to climb the tree. At this point I would buy another one. It looks like the wings got it bad.
Old 12-31-2014, 01:53 PM
melgraham

frankeldan
Many years ago I had a similar problem; was flying an ugly stick when a big tree reached out and grabbed it. I was on a farmers pasture with trees a round the field. While I was looking up at the plane, probably about 30 + feet up
the farmer showed up on his tractor, dropped a chain saw at my feet and said He was not going to cut down! Told me to just leave the tree there and he would cut it up later for fire wood.
First time I had fallen a tree that big; got lucky and dropped it very slowly to the ground. Did no damage to the plane. You probably can not do that there but if you could it can be done.
Mel
Old 01-02-2015, 11:09 AM
frankeldan

Went to the field today and the nice farmer got it down. Looks like they cut the limb it was resting on. The wings and motor box are damaged badly but all the electronics are good. I'll start fresh next season and buy a new one.
Old 01-02-2015, 11:09 AM
frankeldan

Went to the field today and the nice farmer got it down. Looks like they cut the limb it was resting on. The wings and motor box are damaged badly but all the electronics are good. I'll start fresh next season and buy a new one.
Old 01-17-2015, 12:32 PM
el_xero

Default so you got it down? awesome!

Originally Posted by frankeldan

Can you put up pics of those wings? If they arent totally trashed I might be interested in taking them off your hands (how much?) been looking for a ... left (I think) wing for ever.

I've only just got back to finishing up my revolver been too busy over the last year or two to even come on RCU looks like I've missed loads of posts. Time to catch up.
Old 01-18-2015, 02:23 PM
microdon2

Anyone have an extra Rev 70 right wing they'd be willing to sell and ship? Or even a complete set, if you have it. I'm re-building from my last crash (lost the aileron servo), and am trying to buy are few new parts as possible. Shipping would be to Queens, NY.

Thanks.

Mike D
Old 01-18-2015, 03:07 PM
el_xero

I think someone on here had a "right" some time back Microdon2 I just don't know if they are still on this thread. Sadly I can't tell you in what thread they replied to my question
Old 01-19-2015, 02:59 PM
microdon2

el_xero - Thanks. Hopefully they'll pop back up. I tried doing a search in this thread for "right wing" but it kept searching on "wing" and came up with hundreds of posts.
Old 01-20-2015, 10:32 AM
el_xero

Wouldn't you know it! turns out its my right wing that's got the issue haha.. I've already repaired it but was so eager I didn't order carbon fiber and instead used strips of hard wood.. made it way heavy.. so now I need an other right wing to lighten up my load because I'm gonna need loads of lead to balance this thing! sigh.
Old 01-20-2015, 02:49 PM
mach2

Well, the revolver still flies well with some extra weight. I had a Sullivan smoke pump with 14oz smoke oil tank and 10oz fuel tank on my second Revolver and it still flew really well. I think as long as you get the cg you like you won't notice much difference. Any other plane would lose a lot of performance and fly much different. My heavy Rev weighed over 11 pounds. Still came in nice and slow on landings. She would obviously stall earlier, but the Rev has an awesome wing on it.

If I tried to fly my Revolver with smoke the way I fly my current one I'd have some issues. Flying sport or IMAC stuff, you'll be fine.

Just my 2 cents...

Last edited by mach2; 01-20-2015 at 02:52 PM.
Old 01-20-2015, 04:56 PM
el_xero

Originally Posted by mach2
Well, the revolver still flies well with some extra weight. I had a Sullivan smoke pump with 14oz smoke oil tank and 10oz fuel tank on my second Revolver and it still flew really well. I think as long as you get the cg you like you won't notice much difference. Any other plane would lose a lot of performance and fly much different. My heavy Rev weighed over 11 pounds. Still came in nice and slow on landings. She would obviously stall earlier, but the Rev has an awesome wing on it.

If I tried to fly my Revolver with smoke the way I fly my current one I'd have some issues. Flying sport or IMAC stuff, you'll be fine.

Just my 2 cents...

Well alright then. Thanks Mach2 I'll keep that in mind when I fly her so far I've gotten my switches in place Now i've got to build a thingy for my servo activated ignition microswitch then figure out where I'm dropping the battery. Then its on to landing gear and cowl and see about balancing her out... where abouts do you have your CG set to? Are you more of a nose/tail heavy flyer or do you like spot on CG settings?
Old 01-20-2015, 05:07 PM
mach2

The recommended cg is very conservative. It makes you land fast and also wants to porpoise if it starts bouncing (I fly off asphalt). If youre worried about stability then go spot on first and work your way back. Some of us have gone as far back as 6 1/4". I went back that far on my second one and it flew great. My current one flew poorly at that cg. I'm around 6" on this one. But I do like mine to be on the aggressive side...
Old 01-20-2015, 05:42 PM
ahicks

I agree. You know you're going into it on the heavy side. I wouldn't get too aggressive with the CG. Just see what it takes to get the plane neutral after getting it sorted a little. No clue where that might be at whatever weight you end up with?

My first plane was getting pretty heavy (from several "rebuilds") before getting parked in the top of a REALLY big tree. It would not fly right at the same CG it did when lighter. -Al
Old 01-20-2015, 07:38 PM
mach2

That's interesting Al. Maybe that's why my heavy plane flew fine at 6 1/4", while my current plane felt very tail heavy past 6 1/8".
Old 01-21-2015, 02:40 PM
SigMan
My Feedback: (21)

recommend servos for my Rev70 with a 20cc Gass engine?
Old 01-21-2015, 05:26 PM
ahicks

Metal gear for sure. If you're planning on flying hard with it, or take it up into triple digit country, I'd size them for a 30-35cc plane. 100+oz torque, especially on the rudder.

I would likely go with another set of these, but do whatever you're comfortable with.

http://www.troybuiltmodels.com/items/HD-1501MG.html

Not a big fan of the entire line, but this servo has a pretty good reputation. -Al
Old 01-21-2015, 07:24 PM
microdon2

ahicks - +1 on the metal gear aspect. I've lost two gassers due to servo gear breakage before I went all-MG on my gassers. (or 70" and up). Though I think 100oz range (at 6v) is fine for the Rev 70 ailerons. These Tactic servos (owned by Futaba) are a good deal, and good quality, sold \ backed by Tower Hobbies: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...DKEG&P=ML#tech
Old 01-22-2015, 12:34 AM
mach2

I'll just give what I'm using. I've run Hitec 645mg servos all around. The guys at the field said they were overkill, but I've never had a problem. Nowadays they aren't very expensive.

But whatever you get, make sure they have metal gears.

Since I started with the revolver and the 645s, I've used some Power HD 8309 metal gear, digital servos on a 26cc Edge 540 and I really liked them. So if you want a super fast servo, I'd recommend giving them a try.

I think I fly my Revolver pretty hard (I've posted videos) and I don't feel the need to replace the 645s. It's not a 3d plane.

I am currently using a Power HD 1501mg on the throttle of my 50cc AW Extra 300. It's fast for an analog servo. Not to mention really cheap!

If you wanted to save big bucks, I'd say go with the HD 1501mg. If you want a super fast servo, go with the HD 8309 digital servo. If you want a strong analog servo with a big brand name and good reputation reliability, go with the Hitec 645mg.

Jeremy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.