Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Larger Revolver

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Larger Revolver

Old 03-29-2017, 08:03 PM
MarkU6299

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

O I could show you how to crash too. I have a 12 oz fortitude gas tank in it. I think I got over 10 minutes flight with plenty to spare, in the not yet broken in engine at mostly full throttle. Fuel consumption was not in my top if the list things to worry about the day of the maiden but will be soon enough. I did notice on my CG scale setup that one of the landing gear wheels was reading about 2 to 3 oz heavier than the other one. I'll have to investigate that.

Mark
Old 04-01-2017, 07:37 AM
frankeldan

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi guys.. I'm back with a new Revolver. As my go to plane for many years she collided with a tree a couple seasons back. A club member had one NIB so this time around it's electric.
In search of a new Canopy as he used the one in the box and Tower has it back ordered.
Let me know if anyone has an extra..please PM me and I will PayPal you.

thanks,

Dan
Old 04-01-2017, 07:44 AM
capt1597

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

trees are very mean. i hate trees
Old 04-19-2017, 03:16 PM
el_xero
My Feedback: (2)

Originally Posted by frankeldan
Hi guys.. I'm back with a new Revolver. As my go to plane for many years she collided with a tree a couple seasons back. A club member had one NIB so this time around it's electric.
In search of a new Canopy as he used the one in the box and Tower has it back ordered.

thanks,

Dan

Aw man! Trees strikes again! Sorry to hear, hope you get that sorted very soon.

I'm back with mine as well after almost what's it now close to two years no flying? Bought new wing set and in the process of final set up for it..
I wanted to pin hinge the thing like the last one.. but they arrived already fiber hinged...
With all the talk about fiber hinges being bad for the plane with a dle20 upfront I really wanted to take care of that, but not it seems I'll have to cut them out sigh..
Old 04-19-2017, 03:19 PM
el_xero

Oh hey! Has anyone in here tried the smaller pin hinges on the ailerons? I have both, but I did the dumb ass ting of setting up my HD control horn BEFORE the pin hinges. So because of that if I use the larger hinges
like I did on my last wing set it's going to move that horn slightly back and I don't want that as it's already set perfectly. So my alternative is to use the smaller hinges.

I've looked and decided to place them on either side of the fiber hinges that way I won't have to try to drill through fiber to get a hinge hole. This makes for a total of 5 hinges per wing, so I wondered if I were to use
the smaller size robart pin hinges if that would be adequately strong enough vs the fiber hinges..
What do you all think about this?
Old 04-19-2017, 03:33 PM
el_xero

Originally Posted by capt1597
field report: coming up on season 8 with my revolver. sometimes we get a plane that wont die. well over a couple of thousand flights. still my most flown plane. hanger rash, sure. still all original. 9 lbs even. ca hinges, hitec 635 servos, os 91 fx, 109 mph on two way passes.

mark, what weight did your bird come in at with all those mods?
No problem with the CA hinges aye? Then again you are flying the proper engine for the plane, sorta... a few of us on here are using one double what
the plane is actually designed for with the dle20... I'm debating leaving my CA hinges in on my new wing and not flying agressive or cutting out the CA hinges and putting in the smaller robart pin hinges. I can't decide yet.
Old 04-19-2017, 05:51 PM
MarkU6299

I flew mine a few times these past few weeks with the DLE 20 spinning a Xoar 15x8 PJA Prop. The plane is highly modified with 7 robarts per wing and small robarts per stabilizer surface. Servos installed in the tail etc. The fastest level flight pass I was able to get is 103 mph. I think out of a dive I pullled off 135 but I don't consider this a true speed. I wish it was faster but it's not. Perhaps someone could explain how they got more true speed out of it.
Old 04-19-2017, 06:20 PM
el_xero

Originally Posted by MarkU6299
I flew mine a few times these past few weeks with the DLE 20 spinning a Xoar 15x8 PJA Prop. The plane is highly modified with 7 robarts per wing and small robarts per stabilizer surface. Servos installed in the tail etc. The fastest level flight pass I was able to get is 103 mph. I think out of a dive I pullled off 135 but I don't consider this a true speed. I wish it was faster but it's not. Perhaps someone could explain how they got more true speed out of it.

Sounds like someone's having a ton of fun haha! Enjoy it man! love that engine love that plane. Are you happy with that 15x8? I'd like to use those but I think I'll just go with the cheaper MAS 15x8
Old 04-21-2017, 12:47 PM
cjbotox
My Feedback: (11)

I just got a R70, I love flying Nitro planes more every time I fly - ANYTHING! Keeping this as light as possible, have a new Saito 1.00, on board glow and 3 axis gyro. What is the best method to glue stab into fuse? I want to use epoxy but don't know how to get it in without peeling covering?
Old 04-21-2017, 02:26 PM
Super08

I do all my test fitting first. Then wrap one side of the stab with stretch wrap. Apply the epoxy to the stab saddle then slide the stab into place. Remove the shrink wrap and use a bunch of pieces of paper towel dipped in alcohol to clean up any mess on the stab and fuselage before it sets.
Old 04-22-2017, 04:10 AM
cjbotox

I was thinking something along that suggestion, but I would pull out stab further and slather other side then push back to set (have to clean up of coarse). So your method distributes enough epoxy to both sides, top and bottom? I guess I'm worrying too much about not getting enough glue into the tail.

Thanks

John
Old 04-22-2017, 06:49 AM
Super08

Ya I usually wiggle it around and add some if needed, usually it is pretty good. Either way it can get messy so have lots of pieces of paper towel ready and alcohol.
Old 05-12-2017, 07:33 PM
el_xero

Hi guys,
Just wanted to pop in and let everyone know that I've started a rebuild thread in the crash and rebuild section of the forums.
It's going to detail the rebuild process of my revolver, from then to now! It's sparce for now as I've only just started it and I'm waiting for the builder to comment on some of the pics befor I continue
uploading.

Just in case anyone is interested in checking it out here's a link

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/cras...l#post12335756

Thanks guys.
Old 05-14-2017, 01:55 PM
el_xero

Originally Posted by capt1597
trees are very mean. i hate trees
haha
Old 05-14-2017, 01:56 PM
el_xero

Originally Posted by frankeldan

thanks,

Dan
Is it flying yet? how do you like the E setup?
Old 05-18-2017, 06:19 PM
frankeldan

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It's all ready. I took it out to the field a couple times and the wind wouldn't cooperate so it stayed in the car. Will maiden it soon. I ended up putting a Rimfire 80 with a Castle controller. I flew another club members revolver with the same setup on 6 cells and it was ballistic with gobs of power. I'll let you know how mine goes.
Old 05-20-2017, 08:19 PM
Sbach342Guy

Almost lost my Revolver at Joe Nall. I was letting a friend fly it and shortly after be took off the engine was sounding funny at full throttle so he lined her up for landing. Just before touchdown he lost all control. She drifted in and cartwheeled at the end of the runway. Only minor damage but the ESC was fried. I was using the BEC so when the ESC died we lost all control. Castle Creations ESC.
Old 05-27-2017, 02:47 PM
cjbotox

Talking

Finished enough for maiden. WOW! Very very well behaved plane. The new Saito 100 took 1/2 hr to break in and ran flawlessly. Built light - 8 lbs 10 oz and have flaperons to slow down landings - was too nervous to try them today though! I can see why this plane is so popular. Easy to see up there at my age. It's color scheme is enamoring even sitting in the pit. Draws attention. In the air I have power enough for endless steady vertical flight but my emphasis for this craft is not speed, just aerobatics.

First pic is right before first flight. Second pic is for survival proof. I have not installed the gyro yet, but plan to next week. Mean while it's ready for a lot of flying on Memorial Day.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5923.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	1,007.0 KB
ID:	2217238   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5926.JPG
Views:	102
Size:	923.5 KB
ID:	2217239  
Old 06-03-2017, 03:45 PM
el_xero

Congrats congrats! Glad you liked it! It's a lovely bird alright and you'll have a wonderful time with it! Lets know the details of your gyro install when you're at it!
Old 06-04-2017, 03:37 PM
A. J. Clark

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Been looking at the 70" revolver . If I went with a dle 20 which would be better the rear exhaust or side exhaust .
Old 06-04-2017, 04:32 PM
ahicks

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

My vote, without a moments hesitation, would be rear exhaust. It's a MUCH more compact install, which is perfect for tight (small) cowls like the Revolver's.
Old 06-05-2017, 10:37 AM
A. J. Clark

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by ahicks
My vote, without a moments hesitation, would be rear exhaust. It's a MUCH more compact install, which is perfect for tight (small) cowls like the Revolver's.

OK Thanks.
Old 06-08-2017, 05:57 PM
el_xero

Default Dle goodness

Originally Posted by ahicks
my vote, without a moments hesitation, would be rear exhaust. It's a much more compact install, which is perfect for tight (small) cowls like the revolver's.

gotta love that dle!
Old 06-21-2017, 01:05 PM
cjbotox

Re: Hobby Eagle Gyro
On memorial day, I got 5 good flights in - then the fuel soaked wheel plank came off. Yes, yes I ignored all the advise on the importance of reinforcing this area. I did so knowing I would HAVE to some day but I wanted to save weight and see how long the stock install lasted... NOT LONG!! Maybe the electric guys can skip this. So for just a few oz's more, aircraft ply and slathered epoxy solved this problem.

Next I put the Hobby Eagle Super II gyro in. This is the only gyro other than the Guardian recommended for nitro/gas planes under $60. I have 3 full flights so far and am NOT happy. There's a 1/2 second latency response in aileron and elevator stick movement. This was a terrifying experience, but after I leaned into the delay I had control enough to keep landing, checking and trying again. The rudder is also hooked in but it works fine. Really straight landings with auto-crab! I'm reconnecting to computer to make some changes in the software tonight. I admit, this plane flies well without a crutch but I just wanted to try something different. So far the only advice is to add more vibration isolation - and I'll try that too.

Here's where it's mounted, and held down with factory sticky tape
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	HE Install Location.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	515.5 KB
ID:	2221094  
Old 06-24-2017, 09:06 AM
el_xero

Originally Posted by cjbotox
Re: Hobby Eagle Gyro
On memorial day, I got 5 good flights in - then the fuel soaked wheel plank came off. Yes, yes I ignored all the advise on the importance of reinforcing this area. I did so knowing I would HAVE to some day but I wanted to save weight and see how long the stock install lasted... NOT LONG!! Maybe the electric guys can skip this. So for just a few oz's more, aircraft ply and slathered epoxy solved this problem.

Next I put the Hobby Eagle Super II gyro in. This is the only gyro other than the Guardian recommended for nitro/gas planes under $60. I have 3 full flights so far and am NOT happy. There's a 1/2 second latency response in aileron and elevator stick movement. This was a terrifying experience, but after I leaned into the delay I had control enough to keep landing, checking and trying again. The rudder is also hooked in but it works fine. Really straight landings with auto-crab! I'm reconnecting to computer to make some changes in the software tonight. I admit, this plane flies well without a crutch but I just wanted to try something different. So far the only advice is to add more vibration isolation - and I'll try that too.

Here's where it's mounted, and held down with factory sticky tape

That's actually kinda scary.. I don't think i'll be using a gyro then well not unless the winds start to get nutty over here which isn't often.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.