Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Pacific Aeromodel Clipped Wing Monocoupe Build

ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Pacific Aeromodel Clipped Wing Monocoupe Build

Old 04-20-2011, 05:56 AM
rcar4

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Pacific Aeromodel Clipped Wing Monocoupe Build

Good luck Racer, let us know how it goes.
Old 04-20-2011, 06:02 AM
rcar4

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Seems our clip-wing brotherhood leader has left the hood and changed his signature. Guess it's time to change mine to not show refference to the brotherhood.

Old 04-20-2011, 06:25 AM
PacificNWSkyPilot
My Feedback: (19)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

As with me, it's your right.

Nobody stopping you, but me making a change isn't cause for anything beyond that to happen. Many of the guys still have their coupes flying, and are still enthusiastic about them.

I'll admit, I still think they're a pretty plane, but they're fraught with issues. I simply came to the decision that a plane with this kind of wing loading isn't something I want in my hangar. I stopped flying warbirds for the same reason. If I were to go with something along those lines, I'd probably go with a Gee Bee R2 before anything else, since I'm a diehard fan for over 30 years now.

Perhaps one of the guys who have zero problems with theirs (GaGeeBee?) could grab the number one position; I'm happy to relinquish it.

Happy and willing to, but not anxious to, though. I've just got a lot on my plate these days with the release of my book and everything that goes with it. And it's a TON of stuff.

~ Jim ~
Old 04-20-2011, 06:51 AM
pgmeyer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Jim,
Still flying, but she sure is a handful :-) I might even get the wheel pants fixed if I make it through this season without much abuse on the airframe. Good luck with the book, and I may follow the same path moving to the Sportster.

Paul
Old 04-20-2011, 10:38 AM
RHarding
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

What issues are you guys talking about? I have two now, but have not flown one yet, but is getting very close and I'm getting concerned. If you can give me an idea of what to look for it will help get me prepared. My experience with the full scale N36Y when I was much younger did show me that it was not the best ground handler that ever flew and you had to be on your toes landing. Everything that I read, including the build and flight reports and personal chats with Dick Pettit indicate that it is a good flying, no bad habit airplane. Help me out here guys.

Thanks,

Richard
Club #36
Old 04-20-2011, 11:09 AM
pgmeyer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Ok, to be fair some brothers have no issues with the 'coupe. I have checked all my alignments, thrusts and angles, everything is dead on where the manual calls for it to be and I must perform the following takeoff routine -
Very slow throttle - up, applying LEFT thats right LEFT rudder until some surface authority begins to take hold, maybe just after the tail is flying - then quickly be prepared to apply RIGHT rudder as in a normal takeoff. Any misinterpretation of the timimg on these events, for me results in a hard right ground turn or ground loop.

Takeoff - I have observed ailerons acting in REVERSE during speeds that are too slow - if you look at my crash and rebuild down in Texas, my crash was a result of forcing her into the air off a paved runway without enough air speed (like I have done with my aerobatic Sbach with a lot of power). So I wait until she is really cooking down the runway before gently lifting off -

Flying - needs to go at a good clip during higher banked turns - I have had mine do a "clipped wing stall" with a following wind and not enough speed - I had plenty of altitude to recover but it required nose down straighten out and slowly pull back after speed was regained.

Landing is smooth and normal if you don't use flaperons - after trying them I am not a fan - stall is too quick when it breaks.

Of course, taxiing back is another pain due to the same trouble on takeoff, apply throttle, left rudder, right rudder, and try to balance thrust issues while rolling -

Observations after about 100 or more flights, hope it helps and does not confuse - I still have a lot of fun doing high speed low altitude pylon courses.

My 'coupe is actually a little bit lighter than Jim's.

Paul
Old 04-20-2011, 12:47 PM
Ed

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well as TexasSkyPilot knows, I have probably owned the little Clipped Wing puppy longer then most. Just flew it again this mornin. Absolutely no issues. Yes, the wing loading is a little high, all of which adds to it's charm. She's a good lookin, fun little aeroplane, and I get a lot of very positive comments on it.

Ed
Old 04-20-2011, 01:34 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Beautiful plane, no doubt. As Paul mentioned, I had a lot of added detail, which = weight. Mine was a full 15 pounds, I believe. Paul's was 12.

I'd probably still have mine, but I was at a new field, tried to go around, had something happen to my engine, oh yes, spark plug pffftted out, and I was at 25 altitude, over the treeline, JUST as I started to go-around. I tried to dead-stick it at slow speed from the 25 feet, and had to bank it right to clear the trees and try for the grass. At the last moment I tried to get the nose up and I actually got the nose to start coming up, but I figure I needed 5 to 10 feet more altitude. Cleaned the landing gear off. Of course, on the Coupe, the landing gear are connected to the struts, which are connected to the wings. Can you say "Domino effect" ?

Sold the pieces to a fella in Washington state, and I took mini-Me and the Syssa (never even broke the wood prop) and moved them over to the GP Giant Super Sportster.

Paul,
The GSS is a MAGNIFICENT plane, and it flies as good as it looks. After I moved it over, I had to figure out that the spark plug didn't work under pressure. Once I got that fixed, it ran, but kept dying after 5 minutes. Finally traced it to the gas tank (when the stopper split...ouch), so I built a new tank, and used different tubing, which acted funny from being in gas and did the same thing. Thank god I'm a great dead-sticker. This started last year. Finally some of the long-time gasser guys helped me find the problem in my plumbing, and I went out again last week.

It flew pretty well, but after 5 minutes, well, it didn't die, but it started kicking and I could hear it wasn't right. I landed it for the 1st time under power. I stared at it (ready to stomp on it), and it stared right back, and then it hit me; this had all started last year, in the cold weather. Duh. I'd been dealing with the tank issues; the engine was still tuned for cold weather! Started at factory settings and retuned it, and MAN, does that Syssa tear up some sky now. Perfect running, just like the first day the two of us went out with ours.

I've been coming home from the field for months and months, frustrated every time. Now that it runs right, I can show off the GSS and what it can do with the Syssa 30CC, and I got a lot of positive comments from the pits. =)

The GSS is a real keeper, Paul. The Syssa flies it strong enough to do most aerobatics at 3/8ths throttle. The wings are easy-on and off, tube and 2 bolts; but it does take a stand, as it's a low-wing.

Here are some photos of it, and one of the reason why I'm so busy lately. The original release date has come and gone, and I'm still jumping through hoops. Should be done in a week or two. And yes, there are lots of planes in it. You can take Jim out of the plane....

And yes, before you ask, that IS a radio-control concrete Angel there on the cover.

~ Jim ~
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13230.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	165.8 KB
ID:	1596756   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo39301.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	170.1 KB
ID:	1596757   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez81445.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	190.1 KB
ID:	1596758   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ns44419.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	425.3 KB
ID:	1596759  
Old 08-10-2011, 04:55 PM
cloudniner
My Feedback: (87)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I recently acquired a NIB Monocoupe and have now flown it a number of times. I have found it to be a very nice flying A/C. I powered mine with a Saito 180 which is more than enough as it goes vertical like crazy. Landing are a piece of cake with the set up that I have. I have one of the mufflers pictured sounds terrific not at all like the original one.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zw69709.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	1647225   Click image for larger version

Name:	Us52747.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	1647226   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94303.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	22.6 KB
ID:	1647227  
Old 08-11-2011, 05:45 AM
n8622t
My Feedback: (8)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Looks good Cloudniner, gonna have to add a pilot though

Jimmy
Old 08-11-2011, 08:52 AM
cloudniner
My Feedback: (87)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks Jimmy

I got a really neat full body pilot but I got to talk him into parking his rear end on the fuel tank. LOL
Old 08-13-2011, 07:52 AM
n8622t
My Feedback: (8)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

LOL, he wont mind, just strap him down
Old 11-23-2011, 06:50 AM
Ken Cz

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hello,
If anyone out there is still following this thread I am looking for new or used in good shape COWL for the PA Monocoupe. (Actual PA Part - not an unpainted fiberglass replacement)
I still fly mine and really enjoy it - or should I say, LOVE IT!

Unfortunately, I purchased my Monocoupe used and the Cowl was pretty butchered up from various engine swaps I assume. The Pacific Aeromodel Website has very little left for parts.

I have patched it up but it's still not pretty.
I really like the Plane and would like to upgrade it's appearance with a better COWL.

If anyone has one to sell or knows where I can get one, please contact me here or with a Private Message.

Thanks!
Ken
Old 11-23-2011, 07:23 AM
PacificNWSkyPilot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Check with PG Meyer.

He had a landing gear crunch and doesn't fly his anymore. No idea as to whether he still has parts.

Jim[8D]
Old 11-23-2011, 08:09 PM
willmissit

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have a CW Monocoupe for sale. It has only been flown twice and is in perfect conditiopn. It has a Zenoah G26 EI engine and Futaba high torque analog servos. No damage or hangar rash. If you have a Futaba radio we can negotiate my leaving the RX in the plane so you can just bind and fly. I want 800 dollars for it as it is really all new. Engine and servos have never been in another airplane and also have two flights on them. If you have questions you may email me at willmissit@windstream.net .
Old 05-26-2012, 10:49 AM
Lifer
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Does anyone have any spare wing struts. One of mine has work-hardened and broken off near the bolt on the gear. I would be interested in either the right-hand side or a set.

Thanks!
Old 05-28-2012, 05:39 AM
Obee

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

See post 1093 for an alternative /fix
Old 05-28-2012, 05:43 AM
pgmeyer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

They are easy to fix - I cut mine off above the bend and bolted some better ductile aluminum to the remaining section. Does not look bad either, stronger and more vibration resistant. I don't think you will find many spare parts for this airplane. I am looking for a new cowl, since mine has gotten kind of crunchy after several ground loops on takeoff - :-(

Old 05-28-2012, 07:19 AM
Lifer
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks to you both for your assistance. It looks like a do-able repair.

Best regards.
Old 01-07-2016, 09:24 PM
rwtjr0856

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I am missing wing struts for my Pacific Aero Modeling Clip Wing Monocoupe. Anybody have a set or know where to get? Thanks in advance.
Old 03-15-2016, 04:46 AM
pgmeyer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I am rebuilding my 'coupe and I am looking for a cowl that is not crunched and a set of wheel pants in the same condition Anyone with spares or where to get replacements?

Time to get her off the wall and flying again, and a nice new DA35 will be the power plant this time.
Thanks
Paul
Old 03-25-2019, 12:26 PM
steveo64
My Feedback: (6)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi All,

I know this is an older thread and I have a Pacific Aeromodels Monocoupe 110 unstarted in the box and I am missing the assembly manual.

Does anyone have the manual that could copy it for me? the link to the PAC site does not work anymore. the file was mono.pdf if anyone may have downloaded it before.

my e-mail is 88icebear@gmail.com if you have a copy. I'd be glad to pay for your troubles.

Or maybe you have the manual and want to buy the kit.... who knows. One doesn't seem good without the other.

thank you!
Steve
Raleigh, NC
Old 03-25-2019, 01:09 PM
Ken Cz

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Monocoupe

Originally Posted by steveo64 View Post
Hi All,

I know this is an older thread and I have a Pacific Aeromodels Monocoupe 110 unstarted in the box and I am missing the assembly manual.

Does anyone have the manual that could copy it for me? the link to the PAC site does not work anymore. the file was mono.pdf if anyone may have downloaded it before.

my e-mail is 88icebear@gmail.com if you have a copy. I'd be glad to pay for your troubles.

Or maybe you have the manual and want to buy the kit.... who knows. One doesn't seem good without the other.

thank you!
Steve
Raleigh, NC
Steve,
Sent you an email regarding the Monocoupe.
Ken
Old 03-25-2019, 01:53 PM
jrf
My Feedback: (551)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have the manual and I also have a flying example with a Saito 180 in it. I will look up the manual for you Steveo. Ken, if you are interested in the flying version send me a note.

Jim
Old 03-26-2019, 12:14 PM
Ken Cz

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Jim,
As much as I love the looks and history of the Monocoupes I think I will stay away from the this particular clipped wing version.

I had a used one that I brought back to 99% condition - I had a brand new OS 200 4 stroke in it swinging an 18"APC prop. Tons of power.
But you know, every time I flew it, which was NOT often, my knees knocked together!
For my skills a tough plane to fly - tended to ground loop, very subject to cross winds, and definitely you had to keep a lot of speed up to
land it successfully and avoid any stalls.
But what a Beauty!
Been temped to consider the Extreme Flight version as I suspect it would fly a lot better for a guy like me.
KC

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service