Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Pacific Aeromodel Clipped Wing Monocoupe Build

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Pacific Aeromodel Clipped Wing Monocoupe Build

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 11:14 AM
PacificNWSkyPilot
My Feedback: (19)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Pacific Aeromodel Clipped Wing Monocoupe Build

NEW BROTHERS ALERT! WE HAVE 4 NEW ADDITIONS, ALL THIS WEEK!WELCOME, SKIP (skipb), STEVE (plais), RICHARD HARDING (rharding) AND THOMAS (tjdnc) TO THE CLIP-WING COUPE BROTHERHOOD!

Clip-Wing ‘Coupe Brotherhood

1. TexasSkyPilot –Jimbo

2. MobyAl – Al

3. OldFart1 – Jeff

4. TooLow - Pat

5. Ed – Ed

6. pgmeyer – Paul

7. AJsToyz – Andy

8. RacerChuck – Chuck

9. GaGeeBees – Paul

10. Stickbuilder - Bill

11. Obee – Obee?

12. EdFly – Ed

13. Ken CZ – Ken

14. CKLLOYD – Lloyd?

15. T-Bone6 – Tracy

16. Sgillmore- Stacy

17. edgeman55-RCU – Gene / Tiny

18. dgliderguy – Don

19. anthonymio – Tony

20. splais – Steve Plaisance

21. Skipb - Skip

22. TJDNC – Thomas Dugan

26. Skylarkmk1 – John

36. Rharding – Richard – N36Y

44. Rcar4 - Ron
Old 01-31-2010, 11:17 AM
PacificNWSkyPilot

There. Finally got the font sizes and the colors to work! Excellent!

Howard, let us know what you decide.

I've got some work to do on the Coupe today, it's looking awesome.
Old 01-31-2010, 11:33 AM
Obee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jim,
Did you end up carving your own pilot (mini me)? Please post pics of the process or finished you. I'm considering the same thing and if it turns out well I may make a mold and clone some additional pilots. Maybe we could have a pilot exchange program within the brotherhood. I could mail myself to Texas and fly with ya.

Good luck with the weather and the maiden.
Obee#11
Old 01-31-2010, 12:57 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot

Hi Obee,

I was looking at some of the pilots I had around, and I looked at one from last year's swap-meet and realized that although he didn't look exactly like me, he did have the right bulk where it was needed, so one night I sat in front of a mirror and started carving and grinding away at him, and before long, there I was, and I mean it was ME! I used some primer, and then some of that Lacquer-filler paste and did some fine-tuning, then primed again, and repeated until I was happy with the results. Then I took some SIG sandable sealer and a couple of coats of that filled all pinholes and upon sanding the whole thing was nice and smooth. So, I'm all done in gray primer now, waiting for the colors. I have no idea why I am so afraid of that part, it's just paint. But I am apprehensive about this part of Mini-Me's completion... I know I ought to just jump in with both feet and it's probably not that big a deal.

How does one make a mold? Would I be better off doing that prior to painting him? A pilot exchange program? Man, I have to admit, that is the COOLEST sounding suggestion yet!

I need 25% sunglasses. Any suggestions?

I took a photo of him. Here it is.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh14699.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	266.9 KB
ID:	1368790  
Old 01-31-2010, 02:16 PM
skylarkmk1

TSP,

Go to the Aces of Iron site http://www.acesofiron.com/home.htm and down load the painting instructions PFD for free. Painting pilots is a step by step process of layering the paints in the right order. You may have to get a few small bottles or tubes of paint (acrylic and oil) but they do know how to paint a pilot figure.

Or you could you use one of the painting services they have a link to.

For making a mold and casting check out Alumilite http://www.alumilite.com/ . They have the basic instructions on site. The mold material is silicon based and resin makes the part. The mold takes the longest to do (24 hrs to set up) but the casting resin sets in about 3 minutes. If you want it really light weight, pour out the excess to leave a shell (or empty head ).

You can also make other parts like switches, magneto switches, controls, instrument surrounds, door handles, NAV lights (they have a clear resin), radio antennas and more that can be applied to the surface of the fuse or instrument panel. Of course you need a master part first that you may need to make.

If you can't find it locally at an Art Supply, Hobby Market (craft store) or similar you could try online at Mister Art http://www.misterart.com/store/brows...sAlumilite.htm

My first thought of your Mini-me? Hey that looks like Jay Leno

Old 01-31-2010, 02:30 PM
Obee

Skylarkmk1,
Thanks for the great reply, I was just going to the Aces site for a link and popped back to this tab to see your post. I have a store in my area http://www.tapplastics.com/that sells the mold making supplies and I'm always looking for an excuse to mold something after being motivated by their in store examples. They also have online instructional resources. After all the effort to carve a pilot you can punch out reproduction for a small investment. TSP, the little dude is looking good and yes now is the time to mold him. Just think you could put one on the dash of the wife's car. I thought he looked like B. Clinton. Eye of the beholder.

Obee #11
Old 01-31-2010, 11:25 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot

I painted it. Here it is:

Name:	Jh15578.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	258.8 KB
ID:	1369310   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa85502.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	226.8 KB
ID:	1369311  
Old 02-01-2010, 09:28 AM
pgmeyer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shucks Jim,
The detail level and build quality are so evident on your coupe! I will be kind of ashamed at my "build it and fly it" level of assembly. I did take a page from your work and set up the dashboard with the built in magnets. I wanted to make sure I could get into that section of the fuselage later on.

One question about the hinge&magnets in the top hatch, do you have a small handle on it to open it?
Paul
Old 02-01-2010, 10:01 AM
PacificNWSkyPilot

Hi Paul,

No, no handle on the hatch. The edges are right there where you can put your fingertips on both sides and it pops open easily enough. However, I've just attached the wings and haven't actually tried it that way now! I guess this is a good time. If I do end up having to make a handle to pop it open I'll probably get some thin yellow ribbon and just glue a bit to the back side of the hatch. I hope that won't be needed, though.

For the hinges I took some basic twisted nylon cord and glued it down to the inside, opened the hatch to almost (but not quite all the way) where I wanted it to open to for access, and glued each string up on it there with CA. The reason I didn't set it all the way to where it was going to be was because I knew I couldn't get the hinges/strings fully stretched while gluing and I wanted to allow for that. Just like with any magnet-held item, I made sure it couldn't slide sideways when secured.

I'm really not taking it that far, but I'm enjoying taking the time to make easy access points for later. I think stuff like that can make the difference between it ending up a keeper and ending up a plane that a guy would probably sell before too long.

I'm surprised that I actually was able to paint up my Mini-Me pilot, I figured I would get to that a few months down the line. We've been having a pretty cold winter here in San Antonio, much colder than normal, or at least much colder than I'm used to in the 4 or 5 total years I've spent here. So, that's giving me time to work more on things.
Old 02-01-2010, 10:27 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot

I didn't like the paint job I did on Mini-Me, so I repainted it tonight. This is better.

Name:	Ca82070.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	197.0 KB
ID:	1369994   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb90299.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	165.0 KB
ID:	1369995   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ex62908.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	251.1 KB
ID:	1369996  
Old 02-02-2010, 03:41 PM
AJsToyz

Jim,

Nice job! I like the new colors on the head set.

To my Brothers of the Monocoupe, we might have a problem hearing from Jim the founder of this fine thread. He is posting but all his post's will need to be approved by the RCU moderators before we can read them. Please be patient.

Disclaimer: Do to the post by Jim being moderated they might not have the true intended wording intended to be posted.

Andy
Old 02-02-2010, 04:14 PM
Lifer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Why is Jim being censored?
Old 02-03-2010, 06:40 AM
AJsToyz

Lifer,

Jim is a very helpful stand up guy. There are a few others that are not, they love controversy. Jim spoke up in another thread and ended up getting moderated.

Andy
Old 02-03-2010, 07:51 AM
Lifer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

AJtoyz,

Thank you for the response. I have always been a Constitutionalist and protective of the First Ammendment. It seems that it has since been replaced by "politically correct."

RCU is one of my favorite places to surf and has been an excellent resource and I will continue to refer to it daily. Like most things, it can and likely will be replaced someday. Nothing is forever. I never thought I'd see the day when balsa kits would disappear, but it is coming!
Old 02-03-2010, 09:20 AM
PacificNWSkyPilot

Hi guys,

You won't be able to see this for a few days, but once you do you'll know that I will be moving this.

Feel free to keep it going in any way you like, my friends. My signature says it all.
Old 02-03-2010, 10:03 PM
richardfrancisburton
My Feedback: (61)

any chance you're willing to part with your Kangke monocoupe? it's the red one 1/4 scale right??? Todd
ORIGINAL: RHarding

I would like to join the ''Brotherhood''. I have a Pacific Aero Clip Wing with a G-26 with the Ralph Cunningham conversion. It is ready to go, but I'm getting over a knee replacement so will have to wait to get it in the air. I talked with Pacific last summer about getting one uncovered. At that time I was told that they could probably order me one in early Jan. I saw on this forum about mid Dec. that they might be going out of business, so I immediately called and was told that they were discontinuing the clip wing Monocoupe and only had one left. I orded it immediately. I'll be stripping the covering and going back with the ''Little Butch'' theme. Hope to use a OS 170 three cylinder radial in it. I also have the Kangke 97 inch 90A still in the box. So many airplanes and so little time!!!!!

Nothing like a Coupe.

Richard
Old 02-03-2010, 11:22 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot

My Brothers in the Coupe Brotherhood;

It looks like I will be speaking with other websites about moving the Coupe Thread and the Brotherhood there. In the meantime I'll be taking a few days and trying to resolve this using the proper channels here at RCU..

There is a Mod who I promised some time back that I would no longer attack people, and since that day I have not attacked anybody in RCU...anywhere. At no time did I ever chew on or shred anybody that didn't deserve it and I usually only defended myself, but I was very, very good at it and took no prisoners. The Mod who asked me to stop was concerned that in the coming zero-tolerance push against recreational arguing in RCU that I would be the baby that was thrown out with the bathwater, in a manner of speaking. He felt that I am normally a serious and knowledgeable contributor (when not shredding flamers and bad guys), so he asked me to make the promise, which I did. A promise is a promise, and my word is everything. If it weren't, my signature content would be a little silly then, wouldn't it?

So, I find it more than a little ironic that I find myself Moderated for something I expressly refrain from doing every single day. I'm hoping that the powers that be will review and see that indeed, I have not attacked anybody.

If this fails, then I can't abide the disruptions to our thread caused by my being targeted, so I will set about taking it elsewhere. Not my favorite choice, but some choices are circumstance-driven.

Thanks for all the support my Brothers have given to me, it's a great feeling to know you have my back. But please don't go and get into trouble over this, it's not worth it.

Jimbo - TexasSkyPilot

Old 02-04-2010, 07:46 AM
RHarding
My Feedback: (3)

Richard, at this time I think I will have to say no to selling it. That's not to say I won't change my mind later on, so just drop me a line from time to time and check on it. Considering the interest in this model and the PA Clip Wing, I don't understand why they are being discontinued.

Have a good day.

Richard
Brotherhood #36
Old 02-04-2010, 10:18 AM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

It is possible to kill a bug without using a bazooka.

David
Old 02-04-2010, 11:06 AM
skylarkmk1

Jimbo,

Keep us posted on the situation. If you do move the thread to another site, lets us know and I believe many will follow.

So when was the "Zero-tolerance push against recreational arguing" announced? It does seem that the moderators are getting a bit heavy handed with their censorship/moderation duties as I have noted quite a few other threads recently were people have been moderated for mild comments but they (the moderators) have ignored others who have been such total PITAS and completely argumentive that I have given those individuals the "Red Hand". The moderators were asked to stop/block/remove the individual by the thread starter and others but did nothing about it.

For those of you that do not know what the Red Hand is, look in the lower left of a post. If a certain individual is annoying, you can use it to block all of his posts and then you will no longer see them. You can always remove the block later.
Old 02-04-2010, 11:07 PM
Obee

I support Jim as well and have been in contact with him via PM. I think if the thread ends up getting moved we as the brotherhood should go with it. I'm already a member at RCG and RCC. So it's no big deal for me. I have seen behavior on other threads in RCU where posters would make Jim blush and they seem to be missed by the overlords. If the Coupe thread moves so do I.
Obee#11
Old 02-05-2010, 12:58 AM
TooLow
My Feedback: (5)

got my "bags" packed in case we need to evacuate! Just need an eviction notice!
Old 02-05-2010, 07:57 AM
RHarding
My Feedback: (3)

I'm with you also. I already expressed my feellings to Jim via PM.

Richard
Coupe brotherhood #36
Old 02-05-2010, 08:44 AM
rcar4

I am with you guys, just let me know!
Old 02-05-2010, 08:58 AM
pgmeyer

And I also - Esprit de corps !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.