Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Pacific Aeromodel Clipped Wing Monocoupe Build

ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Pacific Aeromodel Clipped Wing Monocoupe Build

Old 11-25-2009, 05:32 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot
My Feedback: (19)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Pacific Aeromodel Clipped Wing Monocoupe Build

Hi guys,

I haved moved this build to my own thread so that I can "Manage" (read that as "Delete with Prejudice") all the experts who have nothing better to do than recreational arguing and insulting. One of the reasons I'm building the Pacific Aeromodels Clipped-Wing Monocoupe is because myself and a handful of interested others hope to explore a couple of the flight tendencies that don't look right, the main one being the low tail during flight. This does NOT happen on all of them, and the ones that look right are great flyers and their balance is as much as 3/4" forward of the recommended C.G. in the Manual.

A few self-proclaimed experts insist that balancing the plane should be eschewed, they feel that rather than a non-invasive procedure such as shifting or adding weight judiciously we should be carving up our planes, because for some reason they were built wrong. Uh...Yeah. As a complete last resort. I can't see it happening, to tell you the truth.

If you think you'll be coming into this thread to argue that you think I don't know what I'm doing, might just as well go start your own thread elsewhere because if I am controlling this thread I'll simply remove your posts the same day. I'm not here to argue, I'm here to explore aspects of this awesome plane with some of the other guys, unfettered by distractions and especially unfettered by recreational arguing. There will be no response to that sort of thing.

That being said;

I'll be grabbing the text from the old thread and moving it to posts here and uploading the photos here. Looking forward to continuing the thread with you guys that have already been participating! I'm sorry if it will seem a little disjointed here, I could not move the response posts to mine over here, sorry about that guys, I would have loved to have them here. I wasn't left a lot of choice, it was either spend my time arguing over there or get something done here that we can call constructive.

Let's build a Pacific Aeromodels Clipped-Wing Monocoupe!

Jimbo
Old 11-25-2009, 05:35 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Pacific Aeromodel Clipped Wing Monocoupe Build

I had been agonizing over what plane to get, started out looking at a Decathlon, then the monocoupes. I looked at Kangke but really liked the PAC Clipped-wing Monocoupe, researched all the planes I was thinking about and this one won by a landslide. Good thing, because the Kangke's are going to be forever coming in!

I'm looking for a plane to put my Syssa 30CC gasser into. That 30CC weighs the same as a Zenoah G20 E.I. .... The more I looked at this plane, the more I knew it was just right for that engine.

Also, the landing and takeoff problems discussed in the thread were of interest to me. This is a short-winged (heavy) taildragger, and there are several important aspects that really need to be addressed with these. First and foremost, you've got wheelpants, and when you're flying a heavy plane with pants you MUST give them a good going over when they're upside-down in the saddle, push them, flex them, try to find a way to make them flap over over and dig into the edges of the wheelpants. If you can manage it, then so can the plane, but you won't like it when the plane manages it! Trim the pants back or get better tires, maybe BOTH. Also, be positive that they are rolling freely on the axles. And straight.

The steering wheel is critical. That rear wheel looks small but it's the very lifeblood of the takeoff runout, especially at the start. The spring(s) MUST be strong enough to follow the rudder, and as somebody already pointed out (kudos), it needs to be aligned straight with the rudder. And as another experienced taildragger pilot pointed out, the throw on the rudder is critical as well. A more effective rudder can make a pretty scary turn all at once if you're not careful. Sometimes low rate rudder is a takeoff must, and you'll have to decide these cases plane-by-plane.

And the next part is simply technique, and that comes with experience. You hold back on your elevator at least some while you start your rollout until you've got your line (that keeps the tailwheel on the ground and it can steer while it's still on the ground), then you slowly release the elevator and by then you have gained speed, then you can use AIR to steer your rudder as the tail flies (a truly exciting thing, I never tire of it!) until you are ready to rotate and lift off. Golden age planes have tails that fly during landings and takeoffs, so study the physics of it. Remember that when the wheel is on the ground it can steer, when it is off the ground the rudder must do the steering, and that takes airflow or airspeed. Golden agers often have another exciting factor....a big, round radial engine area and the round wall of air it pushes that can rob the tailfeathers of airflow! Sometimes the rudder needs MORE throw. My Waco elevators wouldn't even work the first time out at 35% low-rates as it rolled out for a landing. Landing and takeoff the Waco gets high rates now. The Monocoupe is longer than the Waco and should be less affected by it, but these are the things we have to look for to solve our problems. Too much throw or too little throw? And why?

Anyway, I have ordered one of these beautiful Clipped-Wing Monocoupes through my hobby shop, and I have ordered one of those beautiful Syssa 30CC gassers like the one in the photo above as well. I'm hoping I will not drag my feet on this build. Life has had a nasty habit of getting in the way of me finishing my builds this past year, but I have no intention of hesitating on this project. I'm inspired!

I can't wait to see how the Syssa powers this, and where it will balance. It's lighter than the G-26, so I might have to keep servos forward. And I never thought I'd say this, but I've just GOTTA have smoke in this puppy.

Jimbo
Old 11-25-2009, 05:38 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Lotsofcrashes,

Pacific Aeromodels sells them directly if you do not have a local dealer, let me get you some links. If you have a local dealer they can call PAC Aero and maybe get set up.

I'll also attach a photo I really like of it, that I am using for my desktop now as a .bmp file.

http://www.pacaeromodel.com/MonoC/Mono.htm

http://www.pacaeromodel.com/Dealer/dealer.htm

I don't see any Australian dealers on there.

Jimbo

By the way, I don't remember where many of my photos come from, but I think that with the pond in the background that this is probably GaGeeBees plane photo, I don't remember exactly what I saw in the video background but it looks right to me. Whoever took it, what a great shot....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo41048.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	257.4 KB
ID:	1320600  
Old 11-25-2009, 05:41 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Ken Cz,

Most of these Golden Agers don't really "float" much with that big round wall in front of them, but one thing I see a lot is that the tail flies in a "settled down" position behind the plane in flight, and that means it's still tail-heavy, and they really come down much more quickly like that. If the plane LOVES to land at a reasonable speed with its tail flying and then rolls along for a while before you have to pull back on the elevator to drop the tail for ground steering, then you've got it just right. If it likes to settle in for nice 3-point landings, then it's set up tail-heavy. This is a common situation with Golden-Age Racers. Add that extra drag from the tail plowing along below instead of behind a plane and it can accelerate the speed of descent.

I was looking at many of the photos posted out here, and as the plane goes flying level past the camera the tail is not as high as I'd like to see it. I took the photos into my photoshop and blew them up to get a good look, and almost to the last photo I found that flying past in level flight the elevators were VISIBLY down, holding up the heavy tail of course. I'll see if I can find one and publish it up here, hopefully you'll be able to see the low set of the tail and the elevator deflected downward.

Not saying yours is set up this way, but I thought it was a good opportunity to mention what I've seen a lot of out here. Hope these photos show what I'm talking about.

The one I just found I blew up as much as I could without making it too fuzzy, but I think you'll be able to see what I'm talking about.

Jimbo

Name:	Om34498.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	123.0 KB
ID:	1320601  
Old 11-25-2009, 05:44 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Paul,

Looking forward to being able to report my experiences! Just 1 plane and...1 engine....and I'll be on my way! I'm waiting as hard as I can, and I hope that's helping to get them here faster.

I've been shopping for the items that I always switch out and for the items that I'm planning on using with this one. Still can't find out what the wheel size is, I want to use something tougher than foam on this one.

Beautiful photo there. It now resides on my Desktop and gives me a smile every time I walk by my computer! Every now and then a photo just turns out perfect.

I enjoyed your flying video as well. Your wife (I'll assume the lady's voice was your wife) did an AWESOME job taking that video. My buddies couldn't come close to a job like that. I have some very messed-up video to show for proof!

Jimbo
Old 11-25-2009, 05:51 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I came to the conclusion that the tails on these do not ride as high as a Waco tail. They ride on the high side of neutral, typically, much like the photo you were kind enough to show us, Tom. I was going to describe it as "lower than the main wing, but not a lot lower".

Yours seems to be riding nicely. Some of the others I've been watching (and by the way, most of these I've looked carefully at have been in videos) are riding quite low in the tail. It's a testament to the excellent flight capabilities of this plane, but still it doesn't look quite right and I'm sure that although it might not be bad enough to make itself known, it has to cause some sort of drag and other related issues.

With the frontal surfaces these Golden Agers present, it seems to me that streamlining anything you can would be important. Gives a whole new meaning to the words; "Drag and Drop" !!!

I got a call from Pac Aero today, I found out the tires are 3-3/4 inches. I was going to get some 4.5-inch wheels for her but I guess I'm going to wait until I have the gear and the wheelpants in my hands first. That's a fairly big difference, although I think it may just work.

Hopefully it should be here pretty soon.

Jimbo
Old 11-25-2009, 05:54 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi MobyAl,

I thought you were talking about Skylights, anyway. I have a question; do you think that I might be able to get a pair of 4.5" wheels on there? And is there any more width in the whee lpants than the 4" skylights use right now? I'm looking at a slightly fatter pair with the 4.5 inch wheels.

Thanks for the help, MobyAl I'm getting all excited about this build, which is cool, because I haven't been this excited about a build in a long, long, time!

I'm also going to put smoke into this one, and I haven't researched smoke systems in better than 10 years, so any help that can be sent my way from any of you guys about smoke systems would be much appreciated.

Jimbo
Old 11-25-2009, 06:00 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi Ed,

Actually, most horizontal stabs don't hold up much of anything, they mostly just hold the elevator that lifts and lowers the tail moment that has been balanced by the setting of the C.G. Flying Stabs do a little, but not much. Mostly they make the tail fly TOO high, in my experience! The faster you go the weirder it feels because the more lift the tail gets. With a flying stab, when you need it least you get it the most.

If your tail is dragging around the sky, then I think the best place to start would be to move the CG forward a little. Based on what I've seen, I'm going to start by balancing mine at about a 1/2-inch forward of the recommended CG and go from there.

To me, this is one of the more fun parts of modeling. I look at a model doing this or that and I'm like Dr. House, I've gotta get it working right...or at least improve it.....

Jimbo
Old 11-25-2009, 06:03 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Paul,

Blow up the photo and take a look at it. Either the plane was climbing with the elevator slightly upward-deflected in this shot, or your nose is heavy (It's not!). I've watched your videos and your plane's tail flies FOREVER when you land. And it flies flat and straight. No worries for YOU. As long as you avoid that pond you approach over!

I'll guess in that photo that you were just starting to climb out or starting to climb up from a photo-op pass. Nice shot.

Jimbo
Old 11-25-2009, 06:04 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

quote:

ORIGINAL: mobyal

Jimbo
I'm not sure about the 4.5'' wheels fitting. As you can see from the pic, I hve my wheelpants hogged out about as far as I can w/o changing the shape/lines and you can see how the 4'' wheels fit. You'll have plenty of room front to rear, but side to side the 4.5 wheel has to be some wider, right? I dunno.
Al

Al,

We actually dug the wheel-pants out of the box tonight and got the 4.5" Skylights off the rack to check them out. They'll probably need boring out right up to the sides, but they should have clearance. I'll set the pant outside with a drilled ply piece holding it onto the axle precisely for a rigid set, so it stays off the tire. I may add some SIG Pant mounts into the deal to make it a better installation. Love those things, they make having wheel-pants on a model an easy deal.

I'll do some more staring before I commit to using them but I looked at the two together and felt quite good abut it when I bought them. I'll see if I can't get some photos of them together tomorrow and get them on here so you can see. I'm going to start my photo documentation tomorrow (before I forget to!) so that's all done before I start documenting the build.

Question, guys, should I do the build in here or should I create a separate build thread?

Jimbo
Old 11-25-2009, 06:06 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

quote:

ORIGINAL: sgillmore

quote:

ORIGINAL: TexasSkyPilot
I'm looking for a plane to put my Syssa 30CC gasser into. That 30CC weighs the same as a Zenoah G20 E.I. !! The more I looked at this plane, the more I knew it was just right for that engine.

My thoughts exactlythe Syssa SAP-180 should be a perfect match. I received my PA Monocoupe a couple weeks ago, but it will be some time before I'll be able to work on it. I'm really impressed with the quality so far and anxious to get started. I'm looking forward to your build and the flight reports with this engine combo. Living in southern Texas, I'm sure you'll be flying the thing before I even get started on mine!

If I had the engine here right now I'd get REAL serious tomorrow first thing. But it's not here yet (Hint-Hint, Todd Syssa!), so ***SIGH**** I'll do what I can while patiently waiting. Can't mount the rudder until the engine is all mounted up because standing a plane on its fin is how you mount a gasser, flat on the firewall....how you mount one EASILY, that is.

For once you might be right about me getting it done in good time. Usually I take a long time. This plane looks like pure FUN to fly, and still looks scale..Nice....

Jimbo
Old 11-25-2009, 06:08 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Al,

Nothing wrong with doing that. In fact, this is the FIRST standard ARF hardware that I would have no problem using. And the wheels may be foamies, but they're RUGGED. I physically could not bend them over. In fact, you could take ALL of the hardware in this kit, bolt it on the plane and go fly it without any hesitation at all. How often can we say THAT about an ARF? And I am about 7 shades of totally anal past "really fussy" when it comes to my hardware.

Now, the ONLY thing I saw that I took notice of, and I suspected this, was that the springs for the steering gear are really small and really wimpy. Way out on the back of that plane like that it just can't steer properly with so little retention. I'm going to put the photos of the gear on here so you can see that it is actually very solid steering gear. I reefed on it and couldn't get it to bend or twist, it seems to be made to hold together. But the springs....blah... not enough to keep a beasty like this in line.

So, with BOTH big votes in favor of me doing the building thread in here, well then, careful what you wished for because here it comes! I'll start out today with what I found in the box, lots to talk about there and lots of photos.

Jimbo
Old 11-25-2009, 06:10 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Okay, initially I will cover what I found when I opened the box, and my thoughts on the various aspects of it. I'm expecting my Syssa 30CC gas engine any day now, and I cannot really proceed on certain aspects until I have it, as I will be mounting the gas engine on the nose by standing the plane on its tail fin, nose straight up and fuse taped to the side of the building table. So let's hope that Todd Syssa has already sent mine out.

Name:	Zx71178.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	376.9 KB
ID:	1320624   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn40147.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	271.3 KB
ID:	1320625   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot49344.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	261.3 KB
ID:	1320626   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jc85478.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	246.0 KB
ID:	1320627   Click image for larger version

Name:	It10078.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	195.9 KB
ID:	1320628   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49870.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	244.4 KB
ID:	1320629  
Old 11-25-2009, 06:15 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Okay, about the photos above:

First photo you see above, the radio is just for size reference, NO, you do NOT get a free radio with your ARF! I wanted you to see the size of this Horizontal Stab. The wingspan is 69 inches, which sounds unimpressive...deceptively so. As a 1/4-scale Full-wing Monocoupe this would have had a span of 90 inches. The Clipped-Wing version sounds short at 69 inches...and it is. But they don't TELL you about this horizontal Stab. This Horizontal stab spans over 26 inches! In fact, the ONLY thing on this plane that seems small are the wings.

As I removed the items from the box, I was impressed with the packaging. The box itself was substantial, and it came inside another shipping box, so there was lots of protection. Each and every item was carefully packed inside its own plastic bag, and each plastic bag was secured with plenty of tape to box sides, or holders, or even the custom cardboard bulkheads inside.

Which leads us to the next photo of the Cowling and the Dummy Radial. You see "Plastic Dummy Radial engine, and some flimsy little piece of ready-to-disintegrate paper-thin-plastic comes to mind. Not in THIS kit. The radial was pretty light, I was happy about that...but it was rugged, too. I caught myself thinking that it's gonna take some work when I have to make the gas engine cooling opening by taking one of the cylinders out. Look at the photo, though, and you'll get an idea of the careful packaging I've been talking about. That ring of cardboard and the plastic bag secured to it did a perfect job of protecting that piece during shipping.

Next item is the Control horns and the Pull-Pull linkages. These are beautiful, nicely finished control horns that are NOT going to break no matter what. I counted out the right number of screws and clevises. The clevises come with the cable-ends already screwed inside them...no mistaking their intentions. The cables are strong, supple, and substantial. In fact, I would have no problem using ANY of the supplied hardware in this kit. There are two issues with it, one is real, the other is ME.... The tailwheel/steering gear has springs that are too weak, the plane is going to have trouble ground handling. The other is that a metal clevis is going to be snapped into a metal control horn, and then a metal spring is going to hold it all together. RF-NOISE! RF-NOISE! keeps running through my head. As I said, that's just me and my old-school RF-noise police policies running amok.

The next photo is just plain fun. All the parts and pieces right there in one place where you can see it all...and as promised to some of our thread posters by Pacific Aeromodels, there is an extra piece of yellow covering to use in finishing the slot in front of the vertical fin on the rear turtledeck. The covering seems to be a very good job, and it has some wrinkles in it, but nothing you wouldn't find after storing your own bird for the winter. A little bit of ironing and it should be fine (and they say we don't know how to do housework like ironing!). The fiberglass pieces seem very strong and also flexible. The yellow paint is a little brighter than the covering, but I'll guess that in a year or so that paint should be a near-perfect match. Excellent paintwork, no little dust bits under the paint, all very glossy and they get a big thumbs-up from me. It's SO good that just handling the parts while getting them ready for the photos made me want to put the camera away and start messing with the plane!

The next photo is showing the shorter wire linkages. the longer ones are there, running in and out of the photo, but I found that they're so long that if I showed them that you couldn't see what a good job they did on the shorter linkages. So I made the executive decision to show you the shorter linkages. Check these out. They are pre-measured for the plane to go with the servo holes, should be enough adjustment to make them perfect fits. The manual is so thorough that it actually makes reference to the lengths and tell you that if you decide to manually set your aileron differential you will need to get a longer linkage rod. That's impressive. The longer rods appear to be 4-40 size and they come with clear sheaths to carry them to the back (yes, you are given front OR back servo-mount choices because they know that heavier or lighter engines can change that, and they've provided a choice of linkages!). They've even given us lite-ply linkage-tubing support brackets to use to glue-up the tubings inside the fuselage after setting up your servos. You can see them in the little plastic pouch.

Last photo above.....The manual. This manual is IN COLOR, and it's full of photos, and it's 25 pages long! Others say 28 pages, but I won't count AMA literature as manual pages. It's full of tips for successful hinge installations and things like that. I'm not done reading it, but I might take exception with one section involving installing the rudder, more to the point WHEN it should be installed. I'll have to read that over again and more thoroughly before I say any more about that. But this is a very nice manual and so far I have been very impressed with it. If this plane truly interests you, you can download and print out your own manual, I'll place a link here for you.

http://www.pacaeromodel.com/MonoC/Manu/Mono.pdf

Jimbo
Old 11-25-2009, 06:17 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Old Fart,

I did make the decision to forgo the stock steering gear in favor of the Sullivan 10 to 22-pound gear. A couple of reasons for that, one was because I was shown some stock full-scale landing gear and it's in front of the rudder and just like a Waco. The second was because although it's far from stock, the Sullivan LOOKS more scale than what is supplied. And now, seeing the springs, I'm happy with that decision.

One of the reasons that these springs are typically so light is that they can "fight" the servo if they are heavier-duty and wear down your battery because they are stretched on both sides. How much? I don't know. I just find the Sullivans work great and so I'm going with that during this build.

I'll post the photo of the supplied gear here.

Name:	Ay75229.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	153.6 KB
ID:	1320631  
Old 11-25-2009, 06:18 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Other things I found when I opened the box!

I took off the hatch and the windshield as recommended in the Manual. You can see them here. I put the screws back so I wouldn't lose them.

I had not seen a photo of the fuse bottom anywhere so far, so I took one showing the cutaway at the bottom of the engine area, and the cover that goes back over the landing gear once it has been installed.

Three shows the hatch hole where it comes off. That's a BIG hole, I could fit both hands in it at once!

Name:	Ki18992.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	239.0 KB
ID:	1320632   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt62191.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	238.0 KB
ID:	1320633   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm23583.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	198.1 KB
ID:	1320634  
Old 11-25-2009, 06:21 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Once I got the hatch off, I decided to see what my camera could see, maybe something I could not. So here are the photos taken from the inside going forward from the rear, and rearward from the front.

I also was impressed at the offset firewall and although the photo doesn't show the angle as well as I had hoped, I think you can still see the offset it was installed with.

And the manual I have been talking about. They have done a great job on this one.

Name:	Rp42409.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	227.9 KB
ID:	1320635   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm37803.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	322.9 KB
ID:	1320636   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rw58217.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	349.2 KB
ID:	1320637   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ha79143.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	244.4 KB
ID:	1320638  
Old 11-25-2009, 06:23 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

As some of you know, I've been thinking about what wheel size I can go with.

Being a grass-field kind of guy, I've always gone with a little larger wheels than I otherwise might have gone with. In this case I plan to stuff a couple of Sullivan Skylight 4.5-inch wheels into the wheel-pants, and although I think I can do it, it's going to be fairly tight. I'll post a photo of the original wheels with the Skylights, and a couple of the new wheels with the wheel-pants.

You'll see from one of the photos here; When I say "stuff into" I mean it!

Name:	Jh15162.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	219.8 KB
ID:	1320639   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qv56341.jpg
Size:	132.3 KB
ID:	1320640   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec87700.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	223.0 KB
ID:	1320641  
Old 11-25-2009, 06:27 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I'm looking at the likelihood of getting the engine here real soon, and I'm thinking that perhaps I should approach this from some other ways first, although I would have liked to follow the manual step-by-step. I could wait for the engine and then continue. What do you guys think?

Jimbo
Old 11-25-2009, 06:28 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Alrighty then....

I just finished working on this wheel-pant and I've got the 4.5-inch Sullivan Skylight inside it with room around it. Looks like I can just get a collett in on each side, with some effort. I think these Skylights are going to work out nicely. Should be great at the grass field. I don't think it looks like it's sticking out too far or anything.

Name:	Mj24523.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	132.3 KB
ID:	1320646  
Old 11-25-2009, 06:30 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

quote:

ORIGINAL: Obee

Jimbo,
Thanks for posting your build thread here. I'm getting myself another clip wing for Christmas after a tragic loss of the same plane earlier this year.
You will be surprised how well it flies.
Obee

Obee,

I'm happy to post my build here. This plane is really nice. Am I allowed to ask how you lost yours?

Jimbo
Old 11-25-2009, 06:32 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Ed...

No mystery, I'm quite sure that the CG just needs to further forward from what the factory recommends.

See, the plane may have been designed and the prototypes built of top-grade, very light balsa in the tail and all of the linkages in the front, etc., and they found their CG then.

I always use the factory recommendations as a rule of thumb, just to make sure it won't fall out of the sky and crash from being stupid-heavy one way or the other. From there on I use my own eyes and my own brain to dial it in to the circumstances at hand, and I can make the rest of the adjustments.

Jimbo
Old 11-25-2009, 06:34 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Alrighty then,

I have been playing with my 'Coupe today. I took the wings and ailerons apart and ran a covering iron over everything, the wrinkles settled out beautifully. Then I cleaned the bits of covering out of the holes for the pin hinges. These hinges provided with the 'Coupe seem quite rugged, so I chose to use them rather than the Robarts I have standing by. I put a tiny drop of oil into each hinge elbow, and flexed it until the oil was through the whole hinge section. The oil I use is a silicone-impregnated oil, special stuff but I've also used a small drop of After-Run oil before with good results. Once the oil is worked through the whole hinge I used bits of paper-towel and soaked off the excess oil.

Then I took some denatured alcohol and a clean rag and cleaned off the outer sections of the hinges, staying away from the oiled section. That removes any mold-release that may still be on the hinges, we don't need anything messing with our aileron hinge glue. Then I took some 30-minute epoxy and installed the hinges, using a method much like what they describe (very nicely) in the manual. They show how you can do the wing and the aileron in two parts.

I prefer to do them at the same time to be sure they match up perfectly. To do this and have a little extra time, I use a little less hardener on the epoxy than I do the other part. This increases the time a little, and increases the glue strength. The important part here is that I gave myself enough time to do the aileron side after I got them into the wing side.

Once I got them all together, I flexed the aileron to make sure it was moving nicely, and it was. Then I grabbed some more paper towel pieces and started wiping the excess epoxy out of the groove between the wing and aileron both top and bottom. I flexed a few times and wiped a few times, by then I was sure I wasn't going to have any Goo-balls in there later to clean out. I taped the wing and aileron together tightly enough so that there was no visible gap to speak of. I'll attach a couple of photos here for you.

In another hour or two I'll take a little of the Denatured alcohol and a rag and clean any left-over Epoxy bits from the area around the hinges. While the glue was hardening I went over the wing and got any gluey fingerprints off from when I was installing the hinges.

This is where the oil comes in. The oil has prevented any epoxy that got into the hinges from sticking. Once it has hardened up, a few flexes of the aileron and it will move free and easy.

Name:	Tq48491.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	143.0 KB
ID:	1320651   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy79418.jpg
Size:	164.1 KB
ID:	1320652  
Old 11-25-2009, 06:37 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I just couldn't resist working on those wheels, I was pretty sure they'd fit into the wheel-pants, and I was right! Plenty of room to spare, in fact. Must be AT LEAST 2 mm's on either side of it!

Okay, then. Maybe at MOST.

Yeah, it was a little tight, but the end product was worth the work. When you look at the photos below, tell me what you think. I don't think the wheel is sticking out too much, and I think it's going to be GREAT for flying off the grass fields that I love to fly at.

The way these wheel-pants are set up, you can mount the wheel on the axle, then slide the pant up onto the gear/axle over the wheel. It's pretty nice. I've been a wheel-pant enthusiast for many, many years, and keeping the wheel-pants on a plane is one of the toughest things around. I have a secret for this. No big deal, but it works great. One of the hardest things on a wheel-pant is flexing. If you were a little piece of flexy fiberglass and every time you take off or land you got shaken up and down pretty hard, you'd fall apart too. So, very simply I brace up the outside of the wheel-pant. Now, we don't want our axle coming through and showing, that's just tacky. What I do is I drill a small piece of something like lit-ply or spruce so that it fits firmly over the end of the axle, then I slide the wheel-pant up and over it and fasten the wheel-pant to the Gear using whatever method. At this point the little piece of wood is inside the pant and up against the side of it, the side which we have already been smart enough to rough-up with sandpaper. Simply drip a few drops of thin CA onto the area where they meet, and walk away for a few minutes. When you come back, the wood will be fastened to the wheel-pant, and you can flex out a little and remove the pant and put a fillet of CA glue around the bit of wood for strength. Viola! My wheel-pant is solid and supported! If you look closely at photo 2 you can see the little bit of support wood I've been talking about, on the left between the tire and the pant.

One more thing. When you finish lining up the wheel-pant and you are ready to mount both tire and pant permanently, remember on your final assembly to use a drop of blue locktite on each small screw in each wheel collett, and each small screw going into the T-bolts in the pant. Before you do final assembly....Do your wheels roll smoothly? I found that the wheels that came with the kit fit tightly on the axle...TOO tightly. I found a drill bit that was just a wee-bit larger than the hole already in it and gave it one more pass. The wheel would turn smoothly after that. I used the same bit to ream out my Sullivan Skylight wheels, and they also turn very nicely on the axle. Tight wheels can cause BIG issues with ground handling.

Name:	Sq47168.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	201.4 KB
ID:	1320653   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez83704.jpg
Size:	218.4 KB
ID:	1320654   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lr39488.jpg
Size:	193.0 KB
ID:	1320655  
Old 11-25-2009, 06:41 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

OBEE:

"Jimbo,
I lost the coupe to the too rule: Too Low Too slow, Too far away, Too bad. I was disgusted with myself after the crash and stored the surviving components out of view for a number of months. I've got a kayak on the bench now which will get pushed aside for the new coupe.

Your enthusiasm is contagious and motivating.
Obee"

Jimbo:

Thanks, Obee!

I appreciate the kind words and the encouragement, always inspirational in themselves.

I was just down in the shop checking out the aileron hinges...they came out perfect. Planning on what I'll do tomorrow after work.

Don't be too hard on yourself, that's how we learn to fly in this unusual hobby/sport! We have a saying at my old field; "Betcha won't do THAT again!" And my own personal gem; "They won't stay up there on wishful thinking, you need power, speed or altitude!!"

She'll fly again. I have faith in you!

Jimbo

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service