Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Seagull's Percival Mew Gull

Hi all.
    I've just got my Mew Gull.
    Nice kit,excellent covering,and good metal hardware,although the tires are woefull!!.I'll see what the innards are like with the build.....A bit of advice,don't believe Seagull's version of the C of G......do your own calculations and balance it at the wing roots,not the wing tips,again don't trust SG's given measurement.
    Bummer! I had intended to fit a RCG 26cc sparky,but even with a rear carby,and wrap around muffler there's really no room for it with that skinny cowl.
    In hindsight,the sparky may have made it very nose heavy anyway.As I'm moving away from methanol fuel,(the price here in Aust. is ridiculous!),I have decided on going for my first real big lekkie set up.I've had foamies and elec gliders before,but always stuck to the oilies for my bigger planes.
    I've chosen a Turnigy 50 65 270kv with a Turnigy SHV5-125 Sentilon 100amp speedy,and Turnigy 5000mAh 4s battery packs (x2).
    Prop size,I'll start with a 50x10 and see what happens.I've been told this power set up will throw an 18x8 prop.We'll see.
    Ive posted some pics of the build so far.Hope you like.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ca80890.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	174.7 KB 
ID:	1322481   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wr53615.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	191.2 KB 
ID:	1322482   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ns44219.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	134.1 KB 
ID:	1322483   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Oi14194.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	184.3 KB 
ID:	1322484   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dp83855.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	58.3 KB 
ID:	1322485  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wn86554.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	148.6 KB 
ID:	1322486   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Qs28286.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	153.1 KB 
ID:	1322487   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ba90992.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	143.9 KB 
ID:	1322488   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vt27927.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	155.4 KB 
ID:	1322489   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	My15868.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	52.3 KB 
ID:	1322490  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gm57181.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	152.1 KB 
ID:	1322491   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wh37957.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	140.1 KB 
ID:	1322492  
    Check six.

Protector of the innocent,defender of the downtrodden,champion of the cause,and all round nice fellow.

RE: Seagull's Percival Mew Gull

Did not know Seagull had this model.

It looks awesome so far!
    ~Tom~

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

FF i agree with kmot,awesome and would run my 220 in it with some mild aerobatics.Beautiful plane have you read it's history?
    Watch out for the ground eh?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

It's a bit woeful that they've put the instrument panel from the Edge 540, including the Aresti diagram, into this model. Talk about a hal'peth of tar.
    The liver is Evil and must be punished.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Just had my hobby shop order this plane when available. VERY interested to see how you electric system powers this plane. THANKS

I just noticed the other day that Horizon Hobby has this listed on their website now.
    ~Tom~

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Does anyone still fly this, or is there a more recent thread? I flew mine a fair bit with an ASP 120 four stroke, but then put it away because I need the engine for another plane. I recently dragged it out and put on a RCGF 26cc 2-stroke gas. Test flight today although the strip was sodden.. I set the CoG at three and three quarter inches.

Once in the air the plane wanted to go up and was a bit of a handful. It settled with 10 clicks down elevator, but I recovered about 5 clicks once everything was trim. I defintely don't remember the plane being this twitchy and think I must have the CoG wrong (which way, I'm not sure).

I wasn't looking forward to the landing and stayed up a bit . Finally, after a few approaches, I came in with predictable results. Too fast and ran out of strip into the sodden ground where the plane stuck and tipped. Undercarraige wire bent back, wheels twisted and one bent wheel fastener (I certainly remember this from previous flights!). Anyway, easy enough to fix the undercarraige because you quickly get used to it with this plane.

Does anyone recall the correct CoG?

Will be using a RCGF 26 on my Gull also. Could you indicate the size of standoffs used and any other problems you might have encountered? Thanks Joe
    AMA 344995
    ProBro2423

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: MercerAUST

Does anyone recall the correct CoG?
    The manual shows 70mm at the wingtip.

Sometimes, things are exactly as they appear to be.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks. I do know that the manual is incorrect according to other threads which calculated it to be (I think) three and three quarter inches from the wing route. I know I used the recommended measure rather than the manual and it flew fine. With my new engine, and the elapsed time, I just can't recall if the three and three quarter inches is the correct measurement.

To JL636, I used the stand-offs supplied with the RCGF 26. However, I reinforced the firewall be gluing/screwing a quarter inch thick of wood on the engine side of the firewall and attached the engine to this. It came out at about the right length for the cowling, but the prop is about a quarter inch further out than ideal. However, as you know, it is an inexact art and there is a bit of trial and error in the cowl fit (which fastend a fair way back in the fuselage.

I'd try a trial fit first using the existing firewall and engine mounts. You will need to mount it upside down to fit in the cowling. Position the motor and just drill one mount hole and fix the engine (minus the exhaust) in place using this. You can then trial fit the cowling to get an idea about any alterations to where you mount the engine and fasten the cowling to the fuselage so the prop is positioned correctly in the cowling hole. The cowling should slide over the engine without any cutting. The front of the cylinder will be very close/just touching the cowling.

Once the engine is mounted OK, you will then need to cut the cowling to fit the exhaust and holes for the adjustment screws etc. You will also need to cut some cooling holes/vents on the front of the cowling for the engine cylinder.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Took mine up twice last weekend withthe RCG 26cc. Tried first with a 16 X 8 prop, but this was a little underwhelming. Tried a 17 X 6 which was much better. I think a 17 X 8 would be ideal.

Totalled the undercarraige again with a short landing - perfect approach, but misjudged the distance and fell short of the strip and the plane tipped in the mud. As usual, the oleos survived OK and it was a matter of rebending the undercarraige wire and gluing the wood supports back onto the wing with some extra support.

This is certainly not a plane you can fly once or twice, put away for a few months, and then bring out again. You forget how to land it properly andf you tend to repeat your elarlier mistakes (too slow and it drops like a brick, approach too far out and you'll fall short, approach too fast and run out of strip (this plane really loves to roll).  I guess I'll have to put in a solid day of practice. I remember now that the best method is a good appoach and with enough altitude to gun it if it looks like falling short (the elevator is not very responsive at low speeds and there is a few seconds delay before the attitude of the plane changes enough for the wings to create lift). Focus on the wheels for the best touch down and commit once below 2 metres (not enough altitude to safely go around). It is best to get a good touch down and not to worry about it rolling off the end of the strip - the undercarraige will usually survive.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Six flights this weekend, with no damage to the undercarraige! I guess I'm getting better at landings, but a little wind sure helps. The RCGF 26cc seems fine for the plane. Faster is better with this plane and I think a 17 X 8 prop will be ideal with the engine. Fly-overs (from altitude) are fast, but the plane loses some speed once on the level with the 17 X 6.

Take-offs are very well mannered with this plane (assuming the wheels have been cantered forward so that the axle is just in front of the leading edge of the wing). It is easy to keep a straight line, the tail steadies instantly once it lifts and the plane generally won't lift off until it has enough speed and is ready to do so, no matter the elevator setting. The plane is predictable in the air, but it is best to keep the throttle up to reduce risks of a wing dropping if one gets too carried away. A good, committed approach (remembering that the plane will drop fast once throttled down) for landing is needed. Always got the throttle early if it looks like landing short. Landing speed is about 20km/hr  and a stall (the plane drops like a brick) is inevitable once you get much slower.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

An interesting read particularly about c of g.Hav'nt flown mine yet.
    Watch out for the ground eh?