Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

New Ultra Stick 40 with a G-90/Header/Pipe

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

New Ultra Stick 40 with a G-90/Header/Pipe

Old 02-09-2010, 01:00 PM
hrrcflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Ultra Stick 40 with a G-90/Header/Pipe

I'll second the comment about reinforcing the wing dowls and former that holds them in. My friend had a Ultrastick 40 that he put a YS45 on the front of and it ripped the wing dowls out of the fuse on the first flight. I cannot imagine that plane with a G90 in it.....[X(]

David
Old 02-09-2010, 01:51 PM
SpinnerRow

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: hrrcflyer

I'll second the comment about reinforcing the wing dowls and former that holds them in. My friend had a Ultrastick 40 that he put a YS45 on the front of and it ripped the wing dowls out of the fuse on the first flight. I cannot imagine that plane with a G90 in it.....[X(]

David
Yea, I've taken the hint on that message. I put a piece of 1/8" light ply (it was already doubled as well) behind the dowel firewall and then redilled the holes to match. I then put 1/4" triagle stock throughout the tank area, firewall and the 2nd firewall. I'm sure I added some weight but I don't think the G-90 on a pipe will notice it.

I test fit the pipe with the engine and gear on and it looks like the Macs 2900 header will work - but just. So this weekend I'm going to cut some on the header and see how much I can squeeze out of this G-90.

Landing Gear. This is my problem area to solve now. I think it is just too short (even with 3" wheels) but I can't seem to find a carbon or dural landing gear that will work on this plane that will give me more height. The DuBo Super strength fiberglass-nylon gear mentioned earlier is the exact same height as the stock gear (I measured it) but it is a bit wider and unfortunately - heavier. I'd really like to go with a 1 piece carbon fiber gear if anyone knows where I can get one. I've checked Graphtech and Troybuilt but so far no luck. TNT can make me an aluminum one any way I want but man they are expensive. I might try my hand at making one (wouldn't be the first time).

Thanks for the replies and suggestions everyone - keep'em coming!
Old 02-10-2010, 12:41 PM
SpinnerRow

The wing dowels on this Ultra Stick are 5/16". Is that the same as the old color scheme ones?
Old 02-10-2010, 03:06 PM
capitalB
My Feedback: (36)

You gain nothing,not even "MINE IS BIGGER" bragging rights by putting a .90 in a .40 size plane.Besides all the issues that come with the weight penalty,with no advantages.You will end up with high wing-loading,and a tail and rudder that cannot deal with the torque and prop size.A real stong .50-.60 engine should give you at least a 1.5-1.trust to weight ratio.This is a aerobatic fun fly plane and some slow maneuvers are the best.A Saito .72 would be the best but is expensive $$$$$$. Now find yourself a point and shoot .60 size prop-jet and your .90 on a pipe would be fun (APC 13-10 prop) As good as a 250cc dirt-bik[8D]e sounds with a 100h.p 1000cc engine,it just don't work in the real world!!!!
Old 02-10-2010, 03:58 PM
SpinnerRow

ORIGINAL: capitalB

You gain nothing,not even ''MINE IS BIGGER'' bragging rights by putting a .90 in a .40 size plane.Besides all the issues that come with the weight penalty,with no advantages.You will end up with high wing-loading,and a tail and rudder that cannot deal with the torque and prop size.A real stong .50-.60 engine should give you at least a 1.5-1.trust to weight ratio.This is a aerobatic fun fly plane and some slow maneuvers are the best.A Saito .72 would be the best but is expensive $$$$$$. Now find yourself a point and shoot .60 size prop-jet and your .90 on a pipe would be fun (APC 13-10 prop) As good as a 250cc dirt-bik[8D]e sounds with a 100h.p 1000cc engine,it just don't work in the real world!!!!
Break out your slide rule and calculate 2-3lbs more thrust than an OS 55AX on a pipe could give me. The weight penalty for the G-90 is 8oz (6oz for the motor and 2oz or so for the larger pipe and header). This isn't the real world. How many prop driven planes do you know of that can hover like the R/C prop planes of today can? The Turbo Raven could but it was a turbojet. All my years of flying the only time I've put a "proper" sized engine on a plane was a trainer. A Saito .72 on an ultra stick would make a fine combo as a general sport plane but would be boring to me. And you don't think this plane weight 6lbs or so is going to fly nice and slow with flaps on it?????

I didn't need 680 turbocharged rear wheel horsepower in a 93 Mustang Couple I had either but it sure was fun! A 445hp chevy motor in a motorcycle sounds outrageous but it sure is fun to drive. Oh and, bring yourself back into the 21st century. A "mild" 1000cc motor makes close to 200hp these days.

Also, I'm not after fast, just powerful. I already have a relatively fast plane with a pipe on it.

Old 02-10-2010, 04:30 PM
capitalB

Just trying to help out ,remember you posted the question after all.As far as "Joining the 21 century" you have no idea who I am or what I know.Because you indicated that I am somehow ignorant of modern race-bike power outputs you probably know that the Ducatis and Hondas in MOTO-GP have the most H.P and end of straight speeds,but where slowest while going around the track.The "solution" was to limit power-output to make the bikes rideable and faster around the track. I don't want a fight on a r-c forum and I didn't mean to insult you,so lets both quit while we are ahead and not put the other readers thru this ,Thanks,Brian
Old 02-10-2010, 04:37 PM
SpinnerRow

ORIGINAL: capitalB

Just trying to help out ,remember you posted the question after all.As far as ''Joining the 21 century'' you have no idea who I am or what I know.Because you indicated that I am somehow ignorant of modern race-bike power outputs you probably know that the Ducatis and Hondas in MOTO-GP have the most H.P and end of straight speeds,but where slowest while going around the track.The ''solution'' was to limit power-output to make the bikes rideable and faster around the track. I don't want a fight on a r-c forum and I didn't mean to insult you,so lets both quit while we are ahead and not put the other readers thru this ,Thanks,Brian
Agreed. I get responses like yours above all of the time. People can't seem to understand why people do odd or strange things. All personal preference and my attitude is "why not?"

My initial question was what I can do to keep it from falling apart. I never considered a smaller motor - An OS 55AX or an Evolution 60NX are more expensive than the motor I bought to put on it!
Old 02-10-2010, 05:50 PM
delman

The wing dowels are 5/16 on my older 40 ultrastick wing.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:37 AM
SpinnerRow

ORIGINAL: delman

The wing dowels are 5/16 on my older 40 ultrastick wing.
So I guess I still need to put some copper or aluminum tubing over them to keep them wearing out.

Thanks!
Old 02-13-2010, 03:03 PM
SpinnerRow

The wing is done and servos mounted and today I've worked on the rudder and elevator and did a bit of radio programming. Next is the engine and throttle. I'm planning on doing some tuning on the motor today.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt58534.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	108.5 KB
ID:	1377974   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk29755.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	115.7 KB
ID:	1377975  
Old 02-14-2010, 08:50 PM
SpinnerRow

Made a set of landing gear for it today out of 1.25"x1/8" aluminum plate. It is an 1.5" taller and a couple of inches wider as well.

Name:	Om34133.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	122.8 KB
ID:	1379116  
Old 02-15-2010, 06:58 PM
SpinnerRow

Today, I installed the motor, fuel tank, pipe mount, throttle servo and linkage and put brass tubing on the wing dowels. I then put the plane all together and stuck it on the CG machine. 3.75" back from the leading edge with no weight added! Spot on! I was amazed. The manual calls for 3.5" to 4.0" so it should be a good place to maiden it. I then put it on the scale and it weighs 5lbs 11oz. This thing is going to be a rocket! I've been very impressed with the quality of this kit. It should be a fun plane. I plan to take some video and I'll post it here. If the weather is decent enough, I'll fly it next weekend. Woohooo!
Old 02-17-2010, 05:03 PM
SpinnerRow

Well, it is done. Here is the list of what I changed on the kit:[ul][*] Dubro .40 size Tail Wheel. Simple and cheap. I didn't like the one that came with the kit.[*] Put the elevator and rudder servos in the rear with carbon fiber pushrods.[*] Put triangle stock in all corners of the firewall and fuel tank area.[*] Sullivan 12oz Flextank for a bit more fuel capacity.[*] Installed brass tubing over the wing dowels as suggested previously in this thread. I also put a 1/8" ply doubler (or tripler as the wing dowel firewall was already doubled) and redrilled the wing dowel holes.[*] I made a custom 1.5" taller landing gear for it and used 3" wheels (I'll be flying off a grass field).[*] Re-enforced the landing gear block and servo tray with epoxy and 1/4" triangle stock.[*] Fuel proofed the entire tank area and firewall with epoxy and drilled a couple of holes at the second firewall in case the tank leaks, the fuel has some place to go.[*] Used 2-56 rods and steel clevis' on the ailerons and flaps. I dont' care for the plastic hardware that comes with the kit. I mount the rod to the servo with a Z-bend so I don't have to use a nut at the control surface. Makes for easy adjustments.[*] Supertigre G-90 with with a MACS 2900 header and MACS 10cc muffled tuned pipe. Stock motor mount on this new version worked fine and I needed to make no firewall mods.[*] Dave Brown Pipe Mount to secure the pipe.[/ul]
I didn't put tail wires on it and am still debating if I need to. I've got them if I decide to do it. I ordered the wire kit that the Hangar 9 Piper Pawnee uses for $4.99 after the hobby shop wanted $27 for a kit to custom make them!! I'm using a 5 cell Hydrimax 2000mah battery mounted where the rudder and elevator servos used to be and had to upgrade from an HS-81 micro servo on the throttle to an HS-225 as the 81 didn't like to be run on 6volts. That and the cute aluminum spinner gave me an all up weight of 5lbs 14oz. CG is 3.75" back from the leading edge which is right in the middle of the recommened CG. No weight added. if I want to move it back to 4", I'll have to add 1/2 ounce to the tail. Engine is making about 11lbs of thrust! Should be a fun one. I'll post video after I fly it.

You can check out my thread on breaking in and tuning the pipe for the G-90 here.

Name:	Ol31691.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	112.5 KB
ID:	1381215   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn42030.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	1381216   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot48027.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	141.2 KB
ID:	1381217  
Old 02-18-2010, 12:10 AM
capitalB

Nice job!!!! Looks like alot of fun.I got most of my new planes done but can't wait to fly again,maybe mid-April.Why do I live in this state? [8D],good luck with new plane,maybe try some side-force generators for Knife-edge loops!!! Brian
Old 02-18-2010, 04:31 PM
SpinnerRow

I can't deal with the cold. It is in the mid 60s and sunny here today. Looks to be the same for this weekend so I should fly it Sunday. Programmed the radio today and trimmed a spinner for it as well. I think I am done with it and ready to fly it. I've got it programmed for ailerons and flaps for now but I will experiment with CROW and a few other things later on.
Old 02-21-2010, 01:12 PM
SpinnerRow

Well, rain all last night and this morning means no flying for me this weekend. Maybe I can maiden it next weekend. In the mean time I went ahead and put flying wires on it. I just bought the Piper Pawnee flying wire kit from Horizon for $4.99. There's enough in this kit to fit four Ultra Sticks with flying wires.

Name:	Tq48540.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	1383827  
Old 03-05-2010, 09:35 AM
SpinnerRow

Still no maiden flight on it. I may pick up a wood Scimitar 14x6 and try it out. The motor is liking the Scimitar 13x8 right now but that prop is discontinued.

My opportunity this weekend is Sunday morning but the weather is saying 15-20mph winds. If not this weekend, I may not get another opportunity until April! Will I ever get to fly this thing?!?!
Old 03-07-2010, 07:53 AM
SpinnerRow

Rain today! []
Old 03-07-2010, 01:17 PM
rjbranchii

I noticed a couple of comments on wing dowels. With My Ultrastick 60 I installed carbon fiber arrow shafts. Worked great, been using them ever since.

bob branch
Old 03-07-2010, 06:24 PM
SpinnerRow

Man, why didn't I think of that. A couple of 5/16" carbon fiber wing dowels would have been perfect.!
Old 03-15-2010, 02:25 PM
SpinnerRow

Video of the plane.
Old 05-24-2010, 11:05 AM
SpinnerRow

OK, I could never get the ST G-90 with a pipe to run right and finally took it off the plane. In it's place, I have a new Evolution 60NX (40 sized 60) with a pipe. Swapping this engine in took about 7oz off the plane and required no extra weight to balance it. Putting the elevator and rudder servos in the rear provides a lot of options to get the CG right. With the G-90 and pipe on it, I had the battery (Hydrimax flat 5-cell 2000mah) under the wing bolts and it balanced at 4" with no additional weight needed. With the 60NX, the battery is just behind the fuel tank with no added weight to get it to balance at 4" back, which is optimal for this plane I hear. I haven't flown it yet but the engine is turning right at 15,000 with an APC 10x8, 11x6 or 12x5 prop. With the prop options, I can set it up for climbing power or speed or a combo of the two. It was too windy to fly it this weekend but I'm hoping to fly it again next weekend. I may try the 90 again in the future after I figure out the tuning issues I had with it.

The new Evolution 60NX is a powerful motor with one caveat. The stock muffler chokes the life right out of this motor and must be replaced. Jett makes a muffler for it and Evolution (manufactured by Jett) has a performance muffler option for it (part number EVOM1) or you can go with a tuned pipe like I did. The Jett/Evo muffler is a no brainer and offers instant results (close to 3000RPM with some props).
Old 07-22-2010, 02:08 PM
SpinnerRow

The firewall came loose on my plane yesterday. It pulled away from the plane by about a half inch and shut the motor off in flight. The pipe and throttle cable were the only things holding it on. I slathered some epoxy on it and put triangle stock at the top and bottom of the firewall but it wasn't enough I guess. This next time, I'm going to put some poplar tri-stock on the top and bottom and pin it with eight or so tooth picks and see if that holds. It is flying great with an Evolution 60NX on a pipe otherwise. I was actually using the plane as a trainer last night to train a friend of mine on a buddy box when it came apart. Straight and level flight about 1/2 throttle but I have wrung it out every since the plane has been flying. It has about 40 flights on it.

Name:	Yw68136.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	128.9 KB
ID:	1471773  
Old 07-22-2010, 02:20 PM
TimBle

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're lucky, I know of owners who had the firewall pull out while the engine was at full tilt. They have holes in the garage brickwork to prove it.

Mine firewall fell out when I dropped the fuse off the workbench. Stripped the servo's geartrain.

Id also check the wing attachment points and all the bulkheads...
Old 07-22-2010, 02:30 PM
SpinnerRow

ORIGINAL: TimBle

You're lucky, I know of owners who had the firewall pull out while the engine was at full tilt. They have holes in the garage brickwork to prove it.

Mine firewall fell out when I dropped the fuse off the workbench. Stripped the servo's geartrain.

Id also check the wing attachment points and all the bulkheads...
Good advice. When I put it together I put an extra 1/8" ply on the inside of the wing bolt firewall. That all still looks good. I have brass tubing over my wing dowels as well to keep them from wearing out.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.