Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Hangar9 P-51 Blue nose?

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Hangar9 P-51 Blue nose?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 09:57 PM
Reaper26

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hangar9 P-51 Blue nose?

Does anyone make a retractable tail wheel for the new P-51? The standard tail gear to me is way to flimzy and I would like to have it retract without having to customize the crap out of it unless I have too. I am also looking for someone who makes a 4 bladed prop and spinner to fit my plane. I want to get it as scale as possible. I found a place that makes the scale exhaust now I need your help with the rest. Thanks.

Old 01-21-2010, 06:51 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Hangar9 P-51 Blue nose?

A 4-blade prop is just not practical for flying. For your engine to turn it, it would have to be much smaller than scale anyway and once it's spinning, you'll never see it.

Some people DO however, add a scale prop just for display purposes then switch to a standard prop for flying
Old 01-28-2010, 02:24 PM
Fragmentum
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Hangar9 P-51 Blue nose?

ORIGINAL:
A 4-blade prop is just not practical for flying. For your engine to turn it, it would have to be much smaller than scale anyway and once it's spinning, you'll never see it.

Some people DO however, add a scale prop just for display purposes then switch to a standard prop for flying
Reaper26, Do a search in the forums titled '4-blade' and you will get differing opinions. Yes, you can fly with a 4 blade prop and get some scale realism with the plane on the ground. True, you do not see much 'prop' with it spinning and a 2-blade is more efficient than a 3 or 4 blade but YES, you can fly with a 4-blade prop. The actual size you should use can be extrapolated from a size comparison chart. Zinger make 4-blade props that would fit your plane. A 4-blade prop will tax your engine more and throttle response is less than with a lighter 2-blade.
The only real scale 4-blade systems that work reasonably well were Byrons reduction drive system, and there are others out there reproducing similar systems that are made for larger scale model/replicas.

I say 'go for it' and learn!!!