Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

E-Flite Piper Pawnee question

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

E-Flite Piper Pawnee question

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 10:01 PM
Ammotrp69

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E-Flite Piper Pawnee question

i have a quick question about the E-Flite Piper Pawnee. i've never made any modifications, even if they are optional mods from the book, before, so i want to make sure i have everything right before i start cutting and make a mistake. i'm adding the flaps, but there are no measurements in the book, and i'm not too sure where i need to cut the ailerons to make the flaps, or where i need to cut out for the flap servos. does anyone have experience with this model that can help me? i'd be very appreciative. thanks.
Old 02-14-2010, 10:28 PM
MrMulligan
My Feedback: (314)

Default RE: E-Flite Piper Pawnee question

The wings are already cut for flaps. If you hold the wing up to the light, you can see where this cut is. All you have to do is cut the covering. There are hatches already cut into the bottom of the wing. Look carefully and you can see the outline. Again, you cut the covering on the outline to free the hatch.
Old 02-14-2010, 10:38 PM
Ammotrp69

thanks. i just looked and i did see where the cut is for flaps. i see the outline for the servos, but is it normal that they are not in the same location on both wing halves? the outline on the left wing half is inboard one more wing rib than the right half. this seemed odd to me, but maybe not.
Old 02-14-2010, 10:57 PM
MrMulligan

I think this has to do with using a "Y" harness for the flaps. I just checked my wing and it is the same.
Old 02-14-2010, 11:00 PM
Ammotrp69

thanks for the help. i really appreciate it. i'm still pretty new to building planes like this. i don't fly as much as i would like, but i'm used to foamies, so this is much different for me. i just don't want to do anything wrong that will make the plane unflyable.
Old 02-15-2010, 12:04 AM
MrMulligan

Study the build book carefully. It's pretty good with lots of pictures. Mine isn't finished yet. It has been sitting for quite a while. I don't like the rudder attachment to the verticle fin. My lower hinge is glued to the rudder and shouldn't be. I have to figure out a way to separate it without destroying the rudder. I also haven'tdecided what motor to use, a 15 or 25 EFlite.
Good luck.
Old 03-27-2010, 01:26 PM
Ammotrp69

i'm not sure i understand what the problem is with the lower hinge being glued to the rudder. i'm using an equivalent to the 15. can't justify e-flites prices for motors when i can find just as good quality for MUCH less. taking my time building this. working on it a little bit when time allows. got the wing servos installed, now i just need to join the wing halves. i'm still new at this, so this step always makes me a little nervous for some reason. i fit the halves together, and they don't seem to be perfectly flat, so the front and back don't meet exactly. not really sure how to solve this. seems they should be perfectly flush. i want to get the wing put together before i mount the tail surfaces, so i have a point of reference to measure so the horizontal stab is located exactly centered. all in all, i love this plane. i still think that for smaller electric planes, e-flite makes the best arf's.
Old 03-27-2010, 05:31 PM
MrMulligan

The plastic hinge glued to the rudder is the problem. When you insert the rudder into the fin, when you try to move the rudder you must move the hinge, too, and that's a thick piece of plastic. This puts a real load on the rudder servo. It is possible that this has been corrected on your model. Mine was one of the first batch
Old 09-27-2010, 03:04 PM
Sea_Planes
My Feedback: (265)

I need the original Instruction manual for the E-Flite 15 size Piper pawnee any one have one? I will pay for the book & S&H . I tried to print one but it did not turn out as good as the original pictures turned out bad, might be my printer also but would rather have the Original Book ,

I also need a set of EP Alum. Motor Mount Standoffs 1 7/8 " & bolts for the Hanger 9 40 Size Piper Pawnee that comes with the kit , Sea_Planes or e-mail me if you have the Inst. Book for the 15 Size Pawnee or Standoffs for the 40 Size Pawnee tks Carey