Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Seagull Percival Mew Gull 120 ARF

FYI, in Australia atleast, this kit has been discontinued, not sure if Seagull aren't making it anymore or if Model Engines have decided to can it from their lineup.

I managed to pick one up as I think that even with the problems, it's a worthwhile starting point.. still not decided how I'll tackle it, but given I'm just about to step up from my trainer to something more slippery the Mew Gull will remain in storage until I'm well versed in building tricks and flying.. landings are already a strong point and I know I'll need to continue that for the Gull .

Hopefully Seagull will revise the kit, fix the weaknesses and bring it back in a few years.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Has anyone tried a replacement undercarraige fix fo this plane when the oleos finally cark it?

I finally destroyed my port undercarraige when I was showing off with a slow and low altitude fly over the strip. The plane dropped like a stone and I has a second too late in going to WOT and elevator. The plane bounced on the port wheel before getting airborne again.  The landing on one wheel was actually OK, the plane spun when it finally dropped onto the port wheel, but no damage. The port oleo, however, was completely twisted and snapped at the head. The wing mounting is still OK.

I'm thinking about simply replacing the remaining oleo (and broken one) just with heavy guage bent piano wire and no spats. I suspect that I will have to keep bending the wireforwards after landings, but maybe it will be a simple fix. I looked at fitting a Dubro fibreglass undercarraige, but the biggest size is probably too small for a 120 size plane.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'm planning to use other struts, I presume that the wing mounting area has held up ok? It's just the struts themselves that cark?

Personally I'd keep the spats, I'll be trying to attach them to the section of the strut that doesn't move... do the struts get damaged just by longer grass runways. ie: the suspension compresses enough for the spats to bottom out?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The wing mounting points have held up well in mine. The main issue is the wire bending back (resulting in tip overs) and the type of oleo and compression not really being effective for the angle and position of the wheels. The other difficulty is the number of grub screws to connect all the components. You can file down the engagement points, but there are still 4 (each doubled) grub screw engagement points that can loosen off/break. It all results in a lot of slop in the undercarraige and compounds the poor oleo performance).

The wheel does not hit the spat on full compression. The problem is that the oleo or wheel will twist on a hard landing and smack into the spat.
    All you can do is pay careful attention to all the grub screw points (file a flat spot in the receiving point and use lock nut). Work the compression springs for a good while to get any sticky points out of them. Drill and fit a third plastic strap for the undercarraige wire against the wing. Make sure the hardwood mounts are well glued to the wing and reinforce if you can. Make sure the spats are fitted onto the hardwood mounts before glueing them on (this will make sure you glue the mount with the spats in exactly the right position).

Unfortunately, you have to take the wheels off whenever you want to finely adjust the angle of the oleos etc, making it difficult to get the wheels lined up parallel. For example, I thought I had lined everything up, but found that one of my grub screw file points was off resulting in one wheel having some toe in

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Do you think that a zenoah g20 would be a good fit?????????

What would you guys think of putting a g38 on the Mew Gull? I have one that I had gotten a while ago, and am itching to put it on another plane......Think that would work?

Thanks much!!!!

JD

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I think it would probably be overkill. While I think you should be able to fit the engine in the cowling OK, it will probably end up being nose-heavy. Compensating with weights in the tail, and upping the overall weight of the plane by 500gms or more, will make the plane a bit of a pig to fly and a cow to land (I think).

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Flew my Gull today !! I'm in love.... Take offs very uneventful and lands just like my Gee Bee Y. Saito 180 is a nice fit.

Ray

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Congratulations. It is a fine looking plane isn't it. I never had any problems with ground handling with mine (except when the undercarraige bent back), take off or flying. It's just the landings! I flew mine 3 times a few weeks back when there was a stiff breeze and had no problems with the landings on our short(ish) strip. I'll be interested to see how many landings you get on the stock undercarraige before adjustment/repairs.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well, I'm very happy to see that this thread is somewhat active as I just ordered my Mew Gull 120 last night. I found it for a very good price from a very reliable ebay seller here in the US. I plan to install a Turnigy 30CC gasser on it and found it at a very good price in HK's USA warehouse.
    This will be my first fuel plane and first large scale plane. Hope there aren't too many firsts there. I've been flying electrics for about 3 yrs and EDFs for the past year. My skills have gotten to the point where I'm bringing them back alive much more often than not. So, after flying a nitro trainer the other day I figured I was ready for a fuel plane. Seems the instructors at our club agree that I've progressed enough to handle it.
    This will be a great adventure for me as the trainer is the only fuel airplane I've flown. They appear to fly easier than the EDFs ....everyone tells me that the bigger they are the better they fly. I tend to agree with that because my two latest jets have 43" wing span and fly exceptionally well with retracts, speed brakes, flaps, etc. They're easier to see and are not as twitchy as the smaller birds.

I have a bad habit of promising to take pictures and then getting involved in the build and forgetting the pictures. So, I'm not promising anything but, I'll try to remember to take and post pictures as I go.

By the way ....thanks for posting your experiences and build tips here. They are very valuable to me.

RJ
    Rowdyjoe
    Saito 783
    (FA-80, FA-80GK, FA-91S)
    IMAC
    SPA
    AMA
    Ft. Worth Thunderbirds

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I've been flying mine a bit over the last few months. Mine's fitted with a ASP 120 size 4-stroke which is enough power for me. I'm still on the stock  undercarraige, albiet repaired many times and with the spats long since destroyed. I must be getting better, because my last few dozen landings have been fine with no undercarraige problems. This is despite another person ripping off their undercarraige on their first flight on another Mew Gull, repairing it, and doing the same thing on their second (and probably final) flight.

I think the trick is too use a little crow on the aerillons (eg both 4mm up), which gives you a few more km of low speed before the stall and it drops like a stone and to come in a bit fast. It is much better to come in too quickly rather than too slow. Too quick and you might twist the wheels etc when you hit the rough at the end of the runway (but easily fixed), too slow and it will just drop stone cold and you'll rip out the undercarraige.

I think you should be OK if you routinely fly 43 inch EDF's - you will be used to setting up an exact approach so as to minimise coarse aerollin adjustments at the last second and fairly fast landings. I think you will find the Mew Gull pretty big and slow after EDFs, but really take it easy on the first dozen or so flights. There is a lot of momentum on a 10-12 pound plane and the Mew Gull can catch you out if you are too hesitant in manouvering or in deciding whether or not to go around. On the other hand, the prop wash and good torque give you much more responsiveness on the control surfaces at medium to lower speeds. You can easily cruise the Mew Gull at 25 - 30km/hr, with adequate control, just don't try a radical turn.

At flying speeds, you can really throw this plane around and the siloutte is fantastic.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

MercerAUST,
    Thank you very much for your insights and advice however, I've decided to sell this beautiful bird to a more experienced pilot and buy another model that's more suited for aerobatics.
    I leaped before I looked at my needs and fell for this beautiful bird. I've opened the box and really wish I could keep her because it is a great kit. Seagull makes really fine ARFs. I need to sell the MG to fund the bird I need ...unless there's a bank near-by giving away money.
    I'm trying hard to raise the funds needed to keep the Gull and buy my aerobat too. I sold my favorite EDF today toward that end but, I have further to go.
    I'll let you guys know how I come out but, I think I have a serious buyer already. The beauty of this bird sells it and once they look inside the box they're drooling.

RJ
    Rowdyjoe
    Saito 783
    (FA-80, FA-80GK, FA-91S)
    IMAC
    SPA
    AMA
    Ft. Worth Thunderbirds

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yes, it by the far the most impressive model I have seen when you first open the box. That smooth, beautifully curved white fuselage is irresistable - and that new model smell you only get with Seagull.

To be honest, I think you have made a wise decision. I didn't want to be discouraging, but it might not be the best choice for your first gas airplane. This is one plane you need to be confident in your engine. I doubt many pilots could successfully dead stick this one safely to the ground without a fair amount of luck. Get something with better wing loading (to cope with the inevitable deadsticks).

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

MercerAUST,
    Yes but, she still has me mesmerized. What a beauty.

I've chosen the giant scale Spacewalker II 120 ARF by Seagull. It's already on the way and so is my engine so, I must be ready to work when they get here. It's large enough for my old eyes to see well and I haven't read any negatives about it.

Thanks,
    RJ
    Rowdyjoe
    Saito 783
    (FA-80, FA-80GK, FA-91S)
    IMAC
    SPA
    AMA
    Ft. Worth Thunderbirds

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Just picked up a Evolution 26 gasser figured it would be alot easier on my wallet than my
    saito 150. Waiting for the first snow flake to hit which would signal the winter building season. The "Gull" build will be followed by a Sig profile Ultimate and a Sig Hog bipe. That should take care of the winter months pretty well. Well just would like to know if anyone else is going the gasser route. Joe
    AMA 344995
    ProBro2423

I have one in the box and a DLE 20 to put on it. I think it will be a good combination.
    Sometimes, things are exactly as they appear to be.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: RCVFR
    I have one in the box and a DLE 20 to put on it. I think it will be a good combination.
    Keep us posted!!!!!
    **Check my gallery for more pictures**
    http://www.rcuniverse.com/community/...y&memid=222042
    Club Saito member #706

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I've got one in the box and a YS 1.40 that needs a home............................

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Will you assemble it;
    **Check my gallery for more pictures**
    http://www.rcuniverse.com/community/...y&memid=222042
    Club Saito member #706

Gallery