Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Another retract question

I know this has been discussed many of times beforebut i've been searching on here for directions on how to convert my H9 P-51 60 retracts stock wireto 3/16" but I can't find them are there any? I know I need to drill out the gears? And will need to bend the ends where the wheels go. What about the collars? Do they get drilled out as well?
    Any help would be great andpics would be awesome. lol Can I get the 3/16 rod at HomeDepot?
    I came in for a landing and was floating along nice and slow just about to touch downwhen my right retract snapped off when it hit a fire ant hill. Minor damage to the fuse and wing and an easy fix.
    Bummer! Was hoping to fly all day....

Thanks
    Alan

CORSAIR Brotherhood # 90

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Another retract question

ORIGINAL: drube

Β*I know this has been discussed many of times beforeΒ*but i've been searching on here for directions on how to convert my H9 P-51 60 retracts stock wireΒ*to 3/16'' but I can't find them are there any? I know I need to drill out the gears?Β* And will need to bend the ends where the wheels go. What about the collars? Do they get drilled out as well?
    Any help would be great andΒ*pics would be awesome. lolΒ* Can I get the 3/16 rod at HomeDepot?
    Β*I came in for a landing and was floating along nice and slow just about to touch downΒ*when my right retract snapped off when it hit a fire ant hill.Β* Minor damage to the fuse and wing and an easy fix.
    Β*Bummer! Was hoping to fly all day....

Thanks[img][/img]
    What you want is called 'music' wire. Not sure if HD has it. I get mine from the local hobby shop. Pretty common stuff. I would also just get the larger 3/16 collars as well. You want plenty of threads for the set screw, so I don't drill them larger.
    Cheers,
    Gary P. / use Steel Powder for ballast not lead. PM me for more information.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The wire from HD is quite soft and will bend. I just converted my retracts using HD wire so I know first hand. I should probably change it and use the music wire but with all the work I have done I will give it a try. Will maiden the "new" retracts this week. Also agree about the wheel collars. Buy new 3/16.
    Also use adjustable 3/16 axles available at you LHS. Forget about trying to bend the wire.

Jim W

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey Jim,
    What if your HD wire retracts bend on take off? Keep a sharp eye out. They may not retract properly and a struggling retract servo could drain your flight battery.

Tom

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yea Jim, that wire will not work. Sorry to have to tell you, but after all that work, you'll have to make them again with spring steel (Music) wire, but at least it was not for nothing... Since you made one set already, you now have experience
    Mike B. AMA# 42400 www.gettingairborne.com
    Ultra Sport Brotherhood #2 - Waco Brother #188 - Cub Brother #2

\"Those are my principles. If you don’t like them, I have others.\" - Groucho Marx

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Tom

Yes I am aware of retracts binding if the strut is bent. Not a good thing. The HD wire is soft and will bend if it is stressed by a bad landing. It will take a reasonable amount side load etc before it will bend out of shape. There is still a lot of movement in the plastic retract even with the heavier wire and this should absorb some of the stress on the wire. We will see what happens on a few flights this week. Not a big problem to make new struts with music wire if there is a problem. The major work of modifying the retract is done. Needless to say I will post my results. I have done a lot of retract installations over the years and my problems have been minimal. I have a set up using a seperate battery for the retracts but have not used it in this setup as yet. One other suggestion is to use an amp meter when setting them up to make sure there is no bind in the up and down cycle of the servo. The HiTeck retract servo is a bear for punishment and is highly recomended. One other thing.  Am using A123 3400 RX battery 

Jim W

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey Mike

Picked up your post after my long winded post. Could you please elaborate on your wire problem. I have static tested this thing and thought it would work. Please give a few details it would be much appreciated.

Jim W

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

If you fly from pavement, they may last a for a few sorties, but if you fly from grass, you can pack it in now.

I reviewed an ARF once that used cold-rolled steel instead of spring steel once. This plane did not have retracts, just a standard trike setup. After only 3 takeoffs and landings, the gear were bent so badly that the props were touching the ground - and they were NOT bad takeoffs or landings.

I straightened them and took off again. When the plane got down, I inspected them and saw a major change in the shape. I even commented then that, "It's a good thing this thing doesn't have retracts or the wheels would have never made it into the wheel wells - and if they did, they wouldn't have come back out!"

Just running those wires through the grass on takeoff was enough to bend them considerably. Even running spring steel wires through grass is enough that you'll want to check them periodically, but with cold-rolled steel, you'll be lucky to get one flight in without them getting stuck.

\"Those are my principles. If you don’t like them, I have others.\" - Groucho Marx

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Mike

Thanks you much for the info.  We do have asphalt for a runway.  Your comments about grass is enlightning.
    Haven't had a grass field since I left Ohio. Anyway I have mixed emotions about a soft strut. My instincts like the fact they will bend in the event of a hard landing rather than maybe ripping them out of the wing.  I will pick up some "Music" wire and make up a set of struts. I will also use what I have and give it a try on asphalt and see what happens. Sometimes my "hard nose" gets in the way of reality but a couple of flights will tell the story.

Thanks again for your comments. They are appreciated

Jim W

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Jim, by all means, try it out. But before you take off, note how the wheels sit in the wheel wells - then check them again after a flight. Check them after the first few flights and see how they are holding up.

My educated guess is: They won't last very long before the wheels start to get stuck.

But if they work... Good for you!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

drube,

I did an upgrade to my H9 AT6 landing gear to 3/16" wire. I called Robart and got the wire that was already bent for an AT6 for $12. They were very helpful..........call Robart and see if they have wires for the P51.....if so you will have no problems, they were the right length for my model and only required very carefully enlarging the holes for a press fit of the new wires. This is a common mod on the AT6 and maybe it can be for your P51.

Andy
    AMA 16066

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks.
    Got off work today went to my LHS and picked up some 3/16" music wire and collars. Fixed! That was easy! I need to check the CG and i'm good to go. I can tell it's alot stronger andcan't wait to fly it.

Also use adjustable 3/16 axles available at you LHS. Forget about trying to bend the wire.
    Jim, Do by any chance have a link for those?

Thanks for all your help.

Alan

CORSAIR Brotherhood # 90

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: drube

Β*Thanks.
    Β* Got off work today went to my LHS and picked up some 3/16'' music wire and collars. Fixed! That was easy! I need to check the CG and i'm good to go. Β*I can tell it's alot stronger andΒ*can't wait to fly it.

Β*
    Jim,Β* Do by any chance have a link for those?

Thanks for all your help.

[img][/img]Β*

Glad you got her fixed. Better than new, for sure.
    Cheers,
    Gary P. / use Steel Powder for ballast not lead. PM me for more information.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Be sure to grind a flat on the strut to keep these from rotating

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXK183&P=7

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks Minn, I did grind those flat spots, Always looking for a need to use the dremel..lol

Alan

CORSAIR Brotherhood # 90