Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

New AT6 TEXAN from SEAGULL ?

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

New AT6 TEXAN from SEAGULL ?

Old 02-19-2013, 06:06 PM
baddley
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New AT6 TEXAN from SEAGULL ?

Hi

I forgot to ask about the location of the holes in the wing. I understand there is a diagram in the manual showing were to put the holes in the wings top and bottom for the wing tube, but could somebody please measure were exactly on the wing surface area and the how far down the wing tube to make the holes?

The manufacturer could have made it a little it easier by having these steps done already. This would have made it easier instead of drilling into the wing blindly and hoping you are at the right location

Also what size fuel tanks are you guys using that are running gas motors? I am going to be running a DLE20 and was thinking about a 12oz tank.

Thanks for the help !

Scott
Old 02-19-2013, 07:05 PM
jimmymac52
My Feedback: (4)

Scott,
Seagull has drilled the holes in the wing for you. Press on the covering in the area indicated in manual, and you should be able to feel it. Go back several posts and you will see conversations about how to drill the holes through the wing and the wing tube in such a way that you will have an exit hole that will be in line with the entrance hole. Be sure that after drilling the holes, there is sufficient distance from the hole in the wing tube to the edge of the tube. My wing tube was too short and the hole was too close to the edge of the tube.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:17 PM
AA5BY

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

12 oz is fine... no need for more than that. I've several 20cc engines on 10 oz tanks and probably never burn more than 6-7 oz per flight.
Old 02-21-2013, 03:55 PM
baddley

Hi

I am curious if anybody has anypics of the top of their wing ? Their is a pretty big hole or space to run your extensions and such through as was wondering if you guys used the whole area provided or not ?

Thanks scott
Old 02-25-2013, 04:14 AM
Quigleywins

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know you have seen it before as I'v put photo eveywhere but here ,well this is the collection so far enjou.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx70829.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	158.0 KB
ID:	1856096   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj27262.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	112.0 KB
ID:	1856097  
Old 04-28-2013, 06:56 AM
baddley

ORIGINAL: DMB9876

[img][/img][img][/img]''/>[img][/img][img][/img]''/>[img][/img][img][/img]''/>[img][/img][img][/img]''/>
Hi

Could u explain to me how to get the Seagull Struts to fit onto the E Flite retracts, I am having troubling doing this ? Also what is the benefit of using the Segaull Struts instead of the ones that come with the E Flites ? Are you using the landing gear doors because I do not see how they would fit flush down in the wheel wells?

Thanks Scott
Old 04-28-2013, 10:56 AM
chopper man

ORIGINAL: Quigleywins

I know you have seen it before as I'v put photo eveywhere but here ,well this is the collection so far enjou.
Any video of the twin flying? That's awesome. I haven't seen that before.
Old 04-28-2013, 05:52 PM
kirtsm

Hi baddley, I used E Flite retracts on mine. The retracts I got didn't have actual struts, just gear wire. The gear wire supplied with the kit is larger, so I drilled the hole in the E Flite retracts out just large enough for the seagull wire to fit in ( sorry, I don't remember the size). Then I just cut a straight length of the kit gear wire long enough to go into the seagull kit supplied struts and into the hole in the E Flite retracts. I left about 1/2" between the retract and the strut ( this length is detremined by fitting the tire into the gear recess in the wing). I filed flats on the wire for the set screws. I fly off grass that is a little rough in spots and the gear wire that came in the kit bends easily if you don't grease it down, so I ended up replacing that wire with K&Smusic wire of the same dia, it is much stiffer. I don't use the gear doors. They wouldn't be anywhere near flush. Hope this helps.
P.S. If my description is too confusing, I could try to get pix and add them.
Old 05-03-2013, 12:01 AM
Quigleywins

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is what it looks like in the air Photo by Les from Bendigo Great shot. O yes it will fly on one engine as seen in the photo only if Norm is flying it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88863.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	1878587  
Old 05-03-2013, 04:24 PM
chopper man

Love that one. Great photo. Thanks
Old 05-11-2013, 02:51 PM
jimmymac52

Kirtsm,
What did you use to drill out the eflite retract units? I am going to drill out the robart strut opening from 4.5mm to 5mm to accept the 5mm piano wire (K&S) which is the diameter of the opening on the retract unit side. Flew the AT6 last weekend and after a somewhat hard landing, broke the wire connecting the strut to the retract. So, instead of reducing the diameter of the replacement wire on the strut end, I'll go with your idea and increase the diameter of the opening on the strut shaft and make things a little easier in the event of future hard landings. I am searching for abrasive bits with 5mm diameter. Did you use a drill press or free hand? Any suggestions on the cutting bits would help. Thanks

Jimmymac
Old 05-12-2013, 03:52 AM
kirtsm

Hi Jimmymac, sorry it took me a while to reply. What I did was to drill out the e-flites in my drill press. It has been over a year ago, but I think I used a 7/32 drill bit. I think it could be done with a hand drill because you are just following the existing hole. I used 7/32 wire so I had to drill out the struts to 7/32 also. Again this is only about .025" bigger than the exilting hole, so it is fairly easy to do with hand tools and standard drill bits. Hope this helps.

Good Luck, Kirt
Old 05-12-2013, 05:03 AM
jimmymac52

ORIGINAL: kirtsm

Hi Jimmymac, sorry it took me a while to reply. What I did was to drill out the e-flites in my drill press. It has been over a year ago, but I think I used a 7/32 drill bit. I think it could be done with a hand drill because you are just following the existing hole. I used 7/32 wire so I had to drill out the struts to 7/32 also. Again this is only about .025'' bigger than the exilting hole, so it is fairly easy to do with hand tools and standard drill bits. Hope this helps.

Good Luck, Kirt
Thanks Kirt.
Old 06-02-2013, 04:09 PM
rowdyjoe
My Feedback: (9)

Hi folks. I just picked up one of these NIB in a trade. Your advice, recommendations, and experience posted here will be invaluable to me when Iget around to assembling this ARF. It's a great looking bird and am looking forward to getting it flying. Iplan to install a G20ei and use all digital servos but, I'm getting ahead of myself as I have a GP Ulitmate 160 on the bench that's about 2./3 finished and can't seem to find the time to get 'er done. Currently I'm in the process of repairing a pair of wings for my GPSuper Chimpmunk 120. Something else has jumped the priority line lately to take my focus off the current build project.
I'll get "roundtoit" later this summer ....Ihope.

RJ

Old 06-02-2013, 07:22 PM
AA5BY

Hi RJ... good to see your name pop up. I'm running a Zenoah G-20 on a Seagull AT-6 and it powers it very well. I did have to move all the servos inside the plane to get balance but that wasn't hard to do.

arlyn
Old 06-02-2013, 09:08 PM
rowdyjoe

Hey Arlyn,
Good to see your moniker on the thread too. First thing I did when Isaw you were on here was find all of your posts to see the mods you made to your Texan and was very happy to see you're using the same engine I plan to use. I'll learn from your experience ....again. Ihad a hunch that the extra weight of the gas engine would require shifting things around and Isee that my hunch was right. I've seen an old Utube video of this bird flying with a G23 and it flew very well so I'm not concerned about having enough power.
Thanks to your help, my gas engines are running well. Ihave 5 of them now. The DLE 55 on a 30% Edge 540T (for IMAC), a G38 on a GP Chipmunk 120 with a smoke system, a 15cc RCG on an H9 Camel, a 52cc on my new Ultimate 160, and the G20 will go on the Texan. I only have two nitro engines and they are both 4 strokes ...a Saito .91GK on my WM Intruder (for SPA) and a Saito FA80 on my H9 Fokker DVII. Ooops, I almost forgot my third 4 stroke ... an FA80 GK that's sitting in the box waiting for some carb tinkering and an airframe.
I'm really not following you around on purpose but, Ican sure use your advice and counsel on getting this bird going.
I'd like to use the Hobby King 60 - 120 all metal retracts. They're half the price of the Horizon set and appear to be just as good (?). I'll need to do more research on them before Ibuy.
I had a very nice flying previously owned Reactor Bipe from GP that had the G20 on it but, I totaled it in a LOS crash. It was a sweet flyer and would do everything Icould ask of it and more. I was real sad to see it go. I was able to salvage all but, two servos and the engine is fine. It didn't even break the Xoar prop Ihad on it but, it scattered the fuselage and wings over a 20 ft. stretch.
I sold all of my Spektrum gear after that and bought HItec. I sure like the A9 ...lots of great features and very flexible.

Garry

Old 06-03-2013, 02:53 AM
AA5BY

Gary... a lot of RC activity with you.... keeps the doldrums away for sure.

My winter has been a season for upgrading with only one ARF build. The build was a Seagull Funfly .46-.55 that was given an Evolution 10cc gas.

Upgrades... almost all the fleet was upgraded to LiFe batteries and I finally moved from 72 to 2.4 with a JR 8XG and have converted most of the fleet to DMSS.

Only yesterday I flew a repowered Mustang from a HB .61 to an Evolution 15GX gas engine. I like the 10GX but loved the 15GX. I've one more repower project in the works and have the Saito 125 out of an Akrobat II and have an Evolution 20GX on the way to install. I'd purchased the Evolution 33GX for it, but the header on the pitts muffler would protrude out of the cowl and the engine would add nearly a pound of weight and I don't really think I need that kind of power, as the 20 should be quite similar to the Saito and it flew it very well.

The 33GX is now earmarked for a future project, perhaps the next a Great Planes Super Stearman I've had on the shelf a few years, all contingent if some hanger space can be found. I've some bikes hanging in the garage that don't get used much any more and might clear them out to make space for a couple of more planes.

It has been windy here this spring and it has cut into flying. As an alternative, I came into a RC sailboat that needed some TLC and after a new mast and rudder and some rigging has sailed well on a new city park pond nearby.

As an effort to promote a little excitement at the field, I've promoted a summer event for our local Fossil Flyer group, the conversion of a foam glider to RC and a summer contest. We have eight signed on and nearing the completion of the builds and ready for the summer series. Will have a June, July and August contest, with each flying three rounds. The gliders will be piggy backed to 700 ft on my Ultra Stick Lite 120, launched to seek a thermal, stay aloft for ten minutes and then spot land. Points for duration and landings. Three monthly winners and a season winner. Pilots can fly their three rounds at any time during the month.

The gliders are available at Hobby Lobby or LHS has gotten some of them from Tower and provided them at cost of $6 so not expensive or that time consuming... and with a little strapping tape spars added to the wings, are strong enough to endure the launch and they fly quite well and respond well to a little thermal activity. They build up with about 4oz sq/ft loading. Running them two ch.

That's news from here...regards
Old 06-03-2013, 11:17 AM
rowdyjoe

Arlyn,
Looks like you've been busy over the winter too. We've been gettting the same winds you have and flying has been either brave or sparse. Today looks to be very nice but, I'm stuck waiting on the AC repairman who may or may not make it today and if not today tomorrow.

Your gider contest sounds like great inexpensive fun. My Son and Ibegan our RC experience with gliders/sailplanes back in the late 80's. We bought the "stick" kits (no ARFs then) and built them up and covered them. They were all 2 control (ruder and elevator) and we launched using a hi-start. That was lots of fun and there were many times we brought them down only because our necks were getting stiff from looking up. We had a very loooooong break from RC until Igot re-interested about 4 yrs ago. My wife says I've gone RC nuts ...and sometimes Ithing she's right.
My RC acquisitions will slow down considerably now that Ihave a car payment again. I'll be fortunate if I can keep my fleet flyable. Ihad a no-injury accident that totaled my 10 yr old truck, sad to say. I was very happy with my old truck ...it was about 200 miles short of 100k and running like a top. I've got another, newer, one now and it's nice but, not the same. After 10 yrs I was "attached"to my old truck.

It will take me a while to gather the equipment Ineed for the Texan but, I hope to have it flying before the summers out.

PS - finished the repair on the Chipmunk wings last night and now need to inspect the plane to find out why the engine dropped to idle about half-way through the last flight and cause the dead-stick. Isuspect a bad or loose throttle servo.

PSS - The throttle rod came loose from the servo arm. I"fixed it" this time.

Old 06-04-2013, 01:34 AM
rowdyjoe

Phoooey! No reviews on the HKretracts that Ican find. Maybe there will be by the time Ineed them. Then again, I may have to be the first reviewer.

RJ
Old 06-15-2013, 11:40 AM
rowdyjoe

Due to the unfortunate demise of my 30% Edge 540T yesterday, Inow have another engine option. I have a Turnigy 52cc engine mounted on a partially complete GP Ultimate 160 and Ithink Iwill replace it with the DLE 55 that was on the wreck. Ican then mount the Turingy to the Texan and that should give it more than enough power. It's rated at 4.3 hp and with a bit of reinforcing around the firewall it should be OK.

RJ

On second thought, Imay leave things as they are and save the 55cc for a future plane.

Old 07-13-2013, 11:38 PM
rowdyjoe

Yep, I've decided to leave the 52cc on the Ultimate and go with the G20EIon my Texan.
Now that the Ultimate is complete I have room on the build table for the Texan. It's going to be a fun project as I'm ordering electrtic retracts for it next week. Ithink I'll try the Hobby King set. They look more scale and are all metal and the fact that they are half the price of the Eflite set is another plus.

RJ
Old 07-14-2013, 07:46 AM
AA5BY

Gary... good decision on the G-20 for Texan. This may have been covered before, but you will need to install the servos interior rather than in the locations provided on the ARF. The push rods will still work find but will need shortened. The two elevator servos can be installed on mounts that position aft in the wing bay and the rudder servo somewhat forward in the wing bay and throttle servo across from and aft of the rudder servo.

Also, be sure to solder the choke hole closed so that it will prime easier.

Another reminder... DO NOT place both wings on the tube and drill for the locking bolts in one effort as the cardboard tube will hang on the burrs of the tube and make it very difficult to get the wing panels off. Drill one and then remove that panel, which will likely require some turning of the tube. Then reinstall it and the second panel. Once the second panel is in place, remove the first and then drill the second. Again, it will allow turning the tube to clear the burr.
Old 07-14-2013, 10:03 AM
WI53072

AA,

I have this ARF and am going to build it next winter. How would the DLE or VVRC 20cc gasser do on the AT6?

Paul
Old 07-14-2013, 10:03 AM
rowdyjoe

Arlyn,
Thanks for the tips. I'll remember those when Ibegin the build. Do you have a picture of your servo layout? I haven't looked at the instructions yet ...in fact, everything is still in the box untouched.
Which prop are you running on your Texan? If I remember correctly, it had a 16x8 on it when Igot the engine.

Garry
Old 07-14-2013, 10:12 AM
rowdyjoe

If you don't mind me butting in ....the DLE20cc is rated at 2.5 HP and should be a very good engine for the Seagull Texan 120.

RJ

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.