Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

GAS READY!!!????? Right

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

GAS READY!!!????? Right

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 12:40 PM
tuskegee
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GAS READY!!!????? Right

I can take this subject in many directions...I am a builder well and good but with all the ARF's out their I am setting down my cutting somewhat. and with the price of nitro gas seems the way to go. I build an ARFKatanna for my son and put a crrc26 in her. it came from nitroplanes firewall block worked well. But here is the ISSUE not just from nitroplanes all of the onlines..We see a unit to get and it states that it is a 120 or 26cc. well when we do the math....on anyglow unit we can see whatsize gas would match.....example: .90x16.388=14.7492 a 15cc motor. Now we can do this all day. but now we order the plane. The tucanno I got from them (other then the bad unit they sent) as most of the units the firewall and cowls aremade for a nitro unit. Now we have to redo the wall to except the gas unit. hey if you state that it will hold a gas unit then send me a firewall that will hold my motor and most do with the nitro/elec planes.
So all and all if you want to go gas plan on a major redo of the FIREWALL ANDCOWL.
The photo is of the Katanna.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44334.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	246.3 KB
ID:	1489604  
Old 08-24-2010, 12:54 PM
outdoorhunting

Default RE: GAS READY!!!????? Right

I think about ALL the on-lines are the same. That"s why we call them "cheap ARFs". Myself, I think I'd rather save the 100 bucks (or more) & go ahead & redo what I need. I think that is just about what we're stuck with. I've got 3 planes from Nitro, ( one of them is 3yrs old & no serious problems, yet. I do go through ALL of them & add glue, gussets where ever I see a potential problem. I just mark it up to what needs to be done to make it ( what I'm happy with) to make it airworthy. Oh,how would you like to be a newbie & try to figure out the "on-liners" instructions? Good luck.
Old 08-24-2010, 02:22 PM
tuskegee
My Feedback: (1)

Yea, if they had hair it would fall out. The instructions are NOT in most part helping...a photo of what.......or a miss wording of that..
Sometimes I leave a word out or forget a comma.....Buthey. I feel for him/her. That Tucanno,.. I gutted, and reglued all of it. It must have been a bad day in China...Then the KMP Grasshopper was just as bad but no fingerprints on the plane. Now I just got the EMS "Winter Cammo" Stuka packed very well but even though the company touts the 26-50cc get READY to cut. and make a mount for gas.... Even on the box it states 108-120 4c (not gas). But I will be putting in the 32cc Aerovate with the pitt. Look under "tuskegee" and I think I placed a few photos of some parts I had to redo on the KMPGrasshopper. With the Stuka I will be doing the cockpit kit and with that, most of the inside will be taken out and relocated. I plan to do some video of the build I will try. If any thing there will be some stills.
Old 08-25-2010, 09:31 AM
krayzc-RCU
My Feedback: (31)

dle is helping the gas issue out with their line up of lower costing motors.... gas is the way to go
Old 08-25-2010, 01:02 PM
opjose

I put together that same plane and used a 26cc engine.

No major "redo" of firewall and cowl was required.

I merely used their existing firewall.

The only thing I did was I used wide metal carrage washers to distribute the mount load on both sides of the firewall.

I also added a bit of tri-stock for re-inforcement, but otherwise I'm flying the plane stock.

Also the cowl worked fine no different than any other engine cutouts or requirements.

I went with an inverted mount with an inverted Pitts style muffler... much like this plane with the muffler exhaust further back.

No problem what-so-ever!

Your calculations are showing a smaller ( 15cc ) gas requirement than is realistic. A 26cc engine is about right, due to the lower power output often realized with gassers versus glow engines, and the increased weight inposed by a gas engine.

The Tucano is sold as a 1.20 "NITRO" plane not as a GASOLINE engine plane, as is the Katana.

You CAN put a GAS engine in the plane, but you have to perform your own adjustments for a gas engine.

Unless the on-line vendors specify gas engines only, always assume that the plane comes configured for a glow engine if engine requirements are expressed in glow sizing.

This is pretty standard, but it may be something you are not used to.

Old 08-25-2010, 01:21 PM
carrellh

Nitroplanes web site (and some others) describes many planes, even 40 size or smaller, as "Nitro Gas" but that does not mean they are intended for gasoline burning engines.