Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

RedWing MX2 Build

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

RedWing MX2 Build

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 09:27 PM
stangman67
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: RedWing MX2 Build

Correct. More voltage, less amperage. Generally thats the way you want to go, otherwise you would have to use a large prop to get the power and the batteries wouldn't last long. So high voltage, low amperage is the ticket IMO
Old 02-05-2011, 02:07 PM
AirTech
My Feedback: (18)

ORIGINAL: T3beatz

ORIGINAL: zachfeen

It can The a150 is rated to 14s. I'd go with 8k 14s for a ballistic plane that would still weigh about the same
Per the specs on Espirit's website 9000Watts MAX 190A MAX for 15 sec... per the math... P = I x V, or in this case V = P/I I'm only getting 47.4V that's about 11.3 Cells on that motor, I'll say 12 for them being fully charged...

correct me if I'm wrong, because I may be... I don't think with 12S or 14S you will be outputting that many Amps so it should be able to handle it.
If Espirits specs are correct then 9000W/190Amps=47.368Watts/3.7=12.802Cells or 47.36Volts Max. Now.... if Espirit specs are at no load condition (as they usually are) then you will never be able to run 14S without something smoking. Using 10S Packs then he will be able to maybe produce around 7500Watts which are good enough to 3D a 37.5 plane. The question remains: How much this model weights?
Old 02-05-2011, 02:17 PM
stangman67

Read what I wrote above. Hacker rates the a150 at 14s, so I'd say its pretty safe to assume it can run safely on 14s. You use a smaller prop with more voltage to get the power, less amp draw, easier on the esc and your batteries. 14s yields around 170 amps for 9000 watts (and hacker also tends to severely underrate their motors).

On 10s that thing is underpowered. At maximum amp draw he would be seeing around 7k watts, on a 37 pound plane (which is where this should be) that is not enough. You can easily tell it is underpowered in that video. Now if he is good enough to fly it that underpowered, than more power to him, just leaves him with absolutely no room for error.
Old 02-05-2011, 02:53 PM
AirTech

Read what I wrote above. Hacker rates the a150 at 14s, so I'd say its pretty safe to assume it can run safely on 14s. You use a smaller prop with more voltage to get the power, less amp draw, easier on the esc and your batteries. 14s yields around 170 amps for 9000 watts (and hacker also tends to severely underrate their motors).

On 10s that thing is underpowered. At maximum amp draw he would be seeing around 7k watts, on a 37 pound plane (which is where this should be) that is not enough. You can easily tell it is underpowered in that video. Now if he is good enough to fly it that underpowered, than more power to him, just leaves him with absolutely no room for error.
If it hovers and then climbs straight out without hesitation it seems to me it must have WAY more than 1:1 power to weight ratio. In the hands of a semi skilled pilot that will be more than necessary power to fly nice and slow 3D maneuvers without any worry or apprehension. I think is just a matter of confidence in your flying ability, not on your equipment capabilities.
Old 02-05-2011, 03:49 PM
T3beatz
My Feedback: (4)

I'm going to agree with both of you, yes the plane as it is has enough power for 3d, and yes most skilled 3d pilots can probably fly the crap out of it and make it look good.  

But, with that said, most of the flight you will probably be in the upper half of the throttle, your batteries and ESC will have to work extra hard, and High energy 3d will be kinda hard to do.

here is a qq pitts on 14S with the master spin 220... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WF7G8f1nAkY

Old 02-05-2011, 04:03 PM
stangman67

Nice. Back on topic, My mx2 is done short of adjusted the throws and getting the cg right. . I think I may have gotten a dud ds-090m though. It is noticeable slower than every other one on the plane (checked for binding already) . I think I am going to remove it from the aileron and put it on the rudder since the ailerons need to be coordinated. I spun up the motor a bit and it should be a monster, it was blowing around everything pretty good in my room on half throttle.
Old 02-05-2011, 04:31 PM
stangman67

Yup, definitely a bad servo, switched it with the rudder and ailerons are perfect now. Probably going to get a 9150mg for the rudder anyways.

here is a final inside shot with batteries and everything wired up.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fc90189.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	104.4 KB
ID:	1559106  
Old 02-05-2011, 06:24 PM
AirTech

ORIGINAL: T3beatz

I'm going to agree with both of you, yes the plane as it is has enough power for 3d, and yes most skilled 3d pilots can probably fly the crap out of it and make it look good.

But, with that said, most of the flight you will probably be in the upper half of the throttle, your batteries and ESC will have to work extra hard, and High energy 3d will be kinda hard to do.

here is a qq pitts on 14S with the master spin 220... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WF7G8f1nAkY

Hey T3 I completely agree with you on that, this guy is pushing his equipment to the limit. On the other hand as you have agreed with me, a good pilot will fly a 50 pound rock and make it look good............ and then there is Quique, after all being said he is considered to be the granddaddy of 3D.
Old 02-05-2011, 07:18 PM
AirTech

Yup, definitely a bad servo, switched it with the rudder and ailerons are perfect now. Probably going to get a 9150mg for the rudder anyways.

here is a final inside shot with batteries and everything wired up.
Nice set-up. I like those Scorpio velcro straps, seems they hold those packs very securely. Where did you purchase them?
Old 02-05-2011, 07:20 PM
stangman67

Ya,the scorpion lock straps are GREAT. Very easy to use and the batteries are extremely secure without velcro underneath. I bought them off ebay. Link here http://cgi.ebay.com/Scorpion-battery...#ht_2609wt_905

As it sits the cg is at 5.5, I need to move the receiver battery up further in the nose and I can move the main batts up an inch or so and I should get to the desired 5.25
Old 02-06-2011, 06:44 AM
AirTech

Ya,the scorpion lock straps are GREAT. Very easy to use and the batteries are extremely secure without velcro underneath. I bought them off ebay. Link here http://cgi.ebay.com/Scorpion-battery...#ht_2609wt_905

As it sits the cg is at 5.5, I need to move the receiver battery up further in the nose and I can move the main batts up an inch or so and I should get to the desired 5.25
Thank you for the link. And that's a real nice thing about e-power models, moving the CG is very easy. Good luck with your maiden, and post some pics/videos.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:02 PM
stangman67

Maiden won't be for a few weeks still. The weather has been bad here and I want to mess with my 58" edge first
Old 02-08-2011, 09:59 AM

zachfeen .. did you test the plane in the air yet ?

T.J .. since you been using the hitec aurora 9 radio ... what do you think of it ? here in kuwait know one use it so cant really get a feed back about it .. am between the hitec and the JR9

Old 02-08-2011, 12:48 PM
T3beatz

I love the A9, IMHO I think its the best bang for the buck in it's class.  Programing is so simple a kid can do it.  Free updates, and ever changing features make it better than the JR9X.  Also the telemetry that is built into all of the RX is a +

Old 02-08-2011, 01:52 PM
stangman67

ORIGINAL: AvatarQ8

zachfeen .. did you test the plane in the air yet ?

T.J .. since you been using the hitec aurora 9 radio ... what do you think of it ? here in kuwait know one use it so cant really get a feed back about it .. am between the hitec and the JR9

Nope, gonna be a few weeks still. Gotta wait for weather and a few other things.

I also use an Aurora 9. I absolutely love it! I only paid 290 for it which was a complete steal. It is by far the most user intuitive radio I have ever used, extremely easy to program, the menus are a breeze to flip through, all around a good radio (minus the horrible battery life which easily can be fixed)

Now I also used an Airtronics RDS8000 that I was impressed with for the price. I paid 200 flat for it and it worked well although it had way less features and was easier to program. 80 more for an 19 though is a no brainer. How much would you have to pay to get an a9 over there?
Old 02-08-2011, 09:23 PM

thank you T.J for the feedback so you Zachfeen

here i stuck a deal with a local hobby shop to get the A9 with its battery charger and the optima 9 for 390$ i didnt want the servos because there is nothing i can do with them what holding me back is what to do with all my all spektrum gear but since they are not that much i think i will try and sell them an jump to the A9 ship today

thanks again everyone
Old 02-08-2011, 09:24 PM
stangman67

Not a bad price. You won't regret the decision, I will promise you that
Old 02-09-2011, 01:08 AM

i just bought the A9 thanx for the adivce both zachfeen and T.J

Old 02-09-2011, 08:08 AM
DaleD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello Crash,

Apologies for the delay in responding with pictures of the DLE30 install but, Ihave been burried under trying to prepare for a BIG even over the weekend.. I will try to post these by the end of the week.

Have you made any progress with your MX2 build?

DaleD
Old 02-09-2011, 05:59 PM
Cpt Crash
My Feedback: (12)

Dale,

Yep, got everything out of the box, getting ready to drill the firewall and set up the engine. With Barber's review, the build videos on youtube, and all the info in this thread, it should be an easy build. I decided to go with the JC 28 simply to avoid removing any plywood from the firewall; there just isn't much wood up front, and I'd rather hold onto what's there. This is a great airplane, but it's so highly engineered that there's almost no reserve strength. Still, I'd like to see how a DLE-30 goes onto this machine. Hope your event goes well.
Old 02-10-2011, 06:57 AM
AirTech

ORIGINAL: Cpt Crash

Dale,

Yep, got everything out of the box, getting ready to drill the firewall and set up the engine. With Barber's review, the build videos on youtube, and all the info in this thread, it should be an easy build. I decided to go with the JC 28 simply to avoid removing any plywood from the firewall; there just isn't much wood up front, and I'd rather hold onto what's there. This is a great airplane, but it's so highly engineered that there's almost no reserve strength. Still, I'd like to see how a DLE-30 goes onto this machine. Hope your event goes well.
Post build photos for the benefit of all. Any help? Ask anyone we are here to help,good luck
Old 02-10-2011, 11:43 AM
DaleD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone know what size tank is shipped with the MX2? Not at home now to test capacity and trying to purchase a replacement online.

Thanks
Old 02-10-2011, 01:07 PM
ceecrb1

320 cc.

I just changed mine to a dubro.. more because the original had "hickups" (rather than problems) and at the price of a new tank it just seemed silly to go to the effort of problemsolving it and getting all dirty and smelly with the petrol....

mine wasnt filling properly and would "run out" of fuel when still nearly half full... but I think the vent line rotated and lowered in the tank.. the half empty problem not so sure.. I´m pretty sure I DIDNT plumb the engine to the filler line.. but its a possible fault that we´ve alll made at some time in our flying history!!

like i said, for a new dubro it was so damn cheap.. it was "cleaner" to just slam a new one in at the price.
Old 02-10-2011, 01:11 PM
ceecrb1

ORIGINAL: Cpt Crash

Dale,

erm it is neccessary to remove some wood in the firewall to install the JC 28..

for a "begginer gas flyer".... like me.. yeah the firewall is weak as hell..
mine took a real beating.. wasnt helped that the first jc28 I had was letting in air after the carb.. so kept dead-sticking on me.... a few "rough" landings were experienced... ripped out the UC one one occasion.. landed in some long grass in another... all but hte firewall and UC took everything as if nothing had happened.. the REST of the plane is rock solid!
just go crazy with fibreglass or ply.. but sand out the fuel sealer so the epoxy bonds to the glue!! (it doesnt bond to the fuel sealant .. learned that the hard way.).
Old 02-10-2011, 05:47 PM
T3beatz

Only thing I did to my fire wall is re-checked all joints and put a little extra glue on some... It's been going strong ever since.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.