Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

RedWing MX2 Build

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

RedWing MX2 Build

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 06:30 PM
stangman67
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: RedWing MX2 Build

Got a little bit bored. Heres a quick sneak peak of the motor setup, this thing is nuts! Its blowing everything around in my apartment pretty good. The motor is silky smooth too. Try to ignore my talking (had a few beers lol)

http://s442.photobucket.com/albums/q...t=VID00029.mp4
Old 02-18-2011, 11:50 PM
T3beatz
My Feedback: (4)

Cant wait to see some flight video, looks like it runs great!  I'll be able to know if I want to go 8 or 10S
Old 02-19-2011, 08:16 AM
ceecrb1

Also check the plane with the engine started and point the nose up and down etc.. not for the usual reasons of glow..
but more to check the fuel tank plumbing.
Also, are you using the stock sparkplug or a quality one?
The stock one sucks!

I had problems with my first JC28, and that was due to an air leak between the carb and engine... probably not your problem but I did end up learning a lot while trying to work it out!

It can even be daft things like a faulty switch powering the engine electronics... stick a volt meter on the output and waggle the switch.. you want to see no fluctuation in power... if you touch it and it drops to 0 even just a fraction of a second.. its bad.

just go eliminating things one by one and eventually you will narrow it down to the problem.
Old 02-19-2011, 02:57 PM
AirTech
My Feedback: (18)

ORIGINAL: T3beatz

you can use the same rudder, just make sure that it feels secure to you. As far as the henge's they don't have to be as long they just have to be thick enough to grab on the wood when glued in.

Check your needles on the engine and make sure you have good airflow out of the cowling so that you don't get any pressure build up.

And you don't have to use the same holes. You can drill new ones to suit your new pin hinges.
Old 02-19-2011, 04:56 PM
T3beatz

Yep, I was gonna add that but I didn't know if he wanted to go through the trouble of drilling out new ones.
Old 02-19-2011, 09:35 PM

T.J, airteech, ceecrb, and teseres

thanxfor all the help guys rudder been re attached engine high needle been open a bit but it just too windy in kuwait atm need to wait till checking on the engine
Old 02-20-2011, 06:28 AM
Tseres

ORIGINAL: AvatarQ8

thanx for all the help guys rudder been re attached engine high needle been open a bit but it just too windy in kuwait atm need to wait till checking on the engine

Before you fly it. Hold the throttle Wide Open and count to 20 (not to fast). If it's still running Refuel and go fly. If not, make more adjustments. Don't take any chances.

Reason: 20 seconds should give you enough altitude incase it dies you can still glide back to the field. Keep in mind that you should fly where you can get back to the field. Going by these rule saves time and Glue. How did I know that? LOL.
Old 02-20-2011, 11:56 AM

ORIGINAL: Tseres

thanxfor all the help guys rudder been re attached engine high needle been open a bit but it just too windy in kuwait atm need to wait till checking on the engine

Before you fly it. Hold the throttle Wide Open and count to 20 (not to fast). If it's still running Refuel and go fly. If not, make more adjustments. Don't take any chances.

Reason: 20 seconds should give you enough altitude incase it dies you can still glide back to the field. Keep in mind that you should fly where you can get back to the field. Going by these rule saves time and Glue. How did I know that? LOL.

hahaha thanks teseres will do that tomorrow if the wind cooldown a bit
Old 02-20-2011, 01:33 PM
stangman67

Gonna try to maiden her today. Weather is calm and the suns out (still cold at 45 degrees). Everything is charged up and ready to go, will be leaving in half an hour or so. I'll try to get some video if there is someone there to take it for me.
Old 02-20-2011, 04:09 PM
T3beatz

cool!
Old 02-20-2011, 04:34 PM
stangman67

Long grass + soggy areas + weakish landing plate area equals a crappy maiden flight. I am a little dissapointed with the strength of this plane. I have heard the landing gear area was weak but dang, it didn't even put up a fight. It folded underneath the plane instantly.

I don't even know how to go about fixing it and I am too broke to buy a new fuse. Horrible damn day
Old 02-20-2011, 08:54 PM

oh zachfeen am really sad for your disappointment. what went wrong ?

regarding the landing gear base. mine had about 3 dead stick hard landings so far and all the damage am getting is a bend landing gear ( knock on the wood). how bad is urs? are you going to be able to fix it? contact airtech if am not mistaken he cracked his and he was able to repair it back.

hope that you sort things out my friend

fahad
Old 02-21-2011, 01:21 AM
T3beatz

I'm not sayin the landing gear area is the strongest but it can take a beating.  I've hit hard a couple times and came out with just some bent gear.  It takes a lot of force to rip the landing gear out of these planes.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:21 AM
stangman67

I feel like the problem is there is no support in the back. I have no doubt it could take a hard hit if the plane dropped down directly on the gear but any resistance pulling the wheels/gear backwards would rip the gear every time. There is only really a few sringers and a very thin piece of wood providing any strength to the back of the lg plate. The landing gear is in perfect shape itself. Strangely enough I no glue on the interlocking tabs between the landing gear plate and the forward structure of the plane. Looks like the factory missed a spot

Either way, you live and you learn. I'll get it fixed up eventually, I am just a little bit discouraged right now.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:42 AM
kerwin50

Can you post some pictures
Old 02-21-2011, 08:52 AM
stangman67

here...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94328.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	1567650   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx77037.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	1567651   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc79385.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	1567652  
Old 02-21-2011, 09:40 AM
kerwin50

Thanks. Did you apply any extra epoxy to your landing gear block.
I was going to glass my block in some, but years ago my dad said the more you build up the more you destroy in a hard hit. So I just added some extra epoxy to mine.
Looks like an easy fix though.

Biggest problem is T3beatz makes it look all to easy
Old 02-21-2011, 09:43 AM
stangman67

No i didn't do anything extra. There are multiple things that could have avoided this but I was expecting it to be a bit stronger. Mu last quarter scale had the metal l blocks that went up much further and supported the section that broke on mine, I think that might be a good improvement. It will be a fairly easy fix, not pretty though since I don't have the tools to make nice new cuts.
Old 02-21-2011, 11:12 AM
ceecrb1

I ripped my UC out too..
and for once I do disagree with t3beatz.
This is NOT a strong undercarriage. it is definitely a "3d" UC. Super light weight, not designed for the "rougher" sport flyers among us.

I can vouch for the fact that it will take an absolute smashing direct in its "vertical axis" in line with the legs of the UC. I absolutely SMASHED mine straight down on the runway in extremely high winds one day.. the UC bent right open all but flat.. snapped the prop but hte fuse took it without a problem.
My UC ripped out when a wheel hit a small stone on the runway. what more can I say.

My fix.
lots of 30min eppoxy.. and get my fingers inside and beef it up with fibreglass cloth.. the irony is that it is FAR easier to do AFTER breaking it off.. access to add extra glue before breaking it off is possible but not easy.
Old 02-21-2011, 12:06 PM
AirTech
My Feedback: (18)

ORIGINAL: zachfeen

No i didn't do anything extra. There are multiple things that could have avoided this but I was expecting it to be a bit stronger. Mu last quarter scale had the metal l blocks that went up much further and supported the section that broke on mine, I think that might be a good improvement. It will be a fairly easy fix, not pretty though since I don't have the tools to make nice new cuts.
No sweat Zacheen, it's not as bad as it looks. You will have to (carefuly) remove the broken uprights and center piece were the gear is mounted. Be patient since you have to break apart a few hot melt glue joints. Take all the broken pieces and CA them, then trace the old pieces into new lite-ply of the apropiate size. Cut out new parts with your jig saw.
Dry fit all the pieces and make sure they fit tight. Mark and drill new holes for the aluminum brackets and the gear bolts. Epoxy the sides to the center and bolt the brackets in place before assembling. Mount and epoxy the assembly to the fuse and splice new longeron pieces. See [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_9995777/mpage_7/key_/tm.htm#]POST #153[/link]

I had a slight problem finding the correct color of red for the fuse covering. Redwing recomends Fire Red UltraCote but I am sure the factory is using an UltraCote clone or maybe Oracover, because the colors don't match.

I do agree with ceecrb1 in that the UC on this plane is designed for the very serious "3D" pilots in mind and is not the best suited for most sport pilots (like me). It does require very gentle and precise landings.
Old 02-21-2011, 01:14 PM

hey guys

i went flying today but problems accured again with engine.

as teseres suggested i opened the high needle a bit and fire up the engine warmed it up a bit carried it and another friend had the throttle up counted till 10 engine was perfect then i decided to start fliping the plane, on idle the engine did shutdown while fliping the plane arround. opened the low needle a bit fire up again doing same proccess was fine counted till 20 with full throttle and was fine. now comes the part where i did not understand what happened. re fuled the plane took of flown for 5 min then decided to do a normal lop while its in the loop and the plane nose toword the ground boom SHUTOFF. managed to smoothly land it this time. really cant figure this out went on the ground fired it up and left it take all the tank on idle when it was done got it back in the car and back to home.

here is some facts maybe it will help you guys helping me
- am still breaking in the engine 1.5 gallon so far planning for 2
- am using ashles oil to break up the engine
- i flown it maybe 25 flights perior to the shut downs
- engine is JC28cc

a guy where we fly said to me it might be from the fuel tank itself ... can it be guys ?

any help is really preciated

thank you all

fahad
Old 02-21-2011, 01:19 PM

hey guys

i went flying today but problems accured again with engine.

as teseres suggested i opened the high needle a bit and fire up the engine warmed it up a bit carried it and another friend had the throttle up counted till 10 engine was perfect then i decided to start fliping the plane, on idle the engine did shutdown while fliping the plane arround. opened the low needle a bit fire up again doing same proccess was fine counted till 20 with full throttle and was fine. now comes the part where i did not understand what happened. re fuled the plane took of flown for 5 min then decided to do a normal lop while its in the loop and the plane nose toword the ground boom SHUTOFF. managed to smoothly land it this time. really cant figure this out went on the ground fired it up and left it take all the tank on idle when it was done got it back in the car and back to home.

here is some facts maybe it will help you guys helping me
- am still breaking in the engine 1.5 gallon so far planning for 2
- am using ashles oil to breakin the engine
- i flown it maybe 25 flights perior to the shut downs
- engine is JC28cc

a guy where we fly said to me it might be from the fuel tank itself ... can it be guys ?

any help is really preciated

thank you all

fahad
Old 02-21-2011, 01:45 PM
kerwin50

Fly it with out the cowl if it stops it's a pressure problem and you need to run a line from the carb's regulator vent hole to inside the fuse.
Do you have the felt clunk? Do you have a loop in your fuel line? whats the batt voltage under a load. What plug do you have in it?
Old 02-21-2011, 04:30 PM
T3beatz

Yes, the lightweight structure makes for a less structurally sound aircraft but with normal day to day flying it should hold up just fine.  Even on my aircrafts I go over all the joints with glue to insure tight joints.  As far as the landing gear goes, I've had planes with worse!  the sad part is the aluminum is put in to help make it much stronger but now it's pulling the full assembly out.  

All I can say is genital landings...
Old 02-21-2011, 06:44 PM
Johnny_Zero
My Feedback: (44)

ORIGINAL: T3beatz

Yes, the lightweight structure makes for a less structurally sound aircraft but with normal day to day flying it should hold up just fine. Even on my aircrafts I go over all the joints with glue to insure tight joints. As far as the landing gear goes, I've had planes with worse! the sad part is the aluminum is put in to help make it much stronger but now it's pulling the full assembly out.

All I can say is genital landings...
I have never had a genital landing.............

That just made me laugh out loud.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.