Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

RedWing MX2 Build

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

RedWing MX2 Build

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 07:15 PM
Cpt Crash
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: RedWing MX2 Build

Hey, if you land like you're protecting the genitalia, then chances are you'll touch down in a way that keeps your bird intact...

But seriously, I'm going to add some structure to my MX2's landing gear plate. I want to make sure it survives my mediocre piloting skills.
Old 02-22-2011, 12:38 AM

than kerwin for your inputs

flying the mx2 wihtout the cowl do you think the plane will handle the air inside it with the fire wall fully opened to the inside of the plane?. and no i dont have any loops in my fuel line they are coming striaght from all the ports in the fuel tank. for rx am using 2 1100 a123 through 2 badgers switches with one batt share, for ignition am using an IBEF straigh from the rx to the ignition without any switches. plug am using the standard plug that came with the engine i think its a honda cm9 am not sure
Old 02-22-2011, 04:26 AM
kerwin50

I'd get rid of that plug and go to an NGK, If you put a loop in your fuel line it will trap air bubles. The felt fuel clunk will also keep bubbles out of the line, lot of guys that have the same problem use it to cure the same problem. I'll trty an see it I can find the part # and link
Old 02-22-2011, 09:32 AM
ceecrb1

loop in fuel line what what??? where how?

i'm guessing you dont mean the loop in the vent line?

also i'll 2nd the ngk plug.. i "upgraded" mine.. might be all in my head but the motor even sounded "healthier" just with that change. but there DEFINATELY was an improvement in stability.. far less likely to deadstick.
Old 02-22-2011, 03:18 PM
Tseres

ORIGINAL: AvatarQ8

. and no i dont have any loops in my fuel line they are coming striaght from all the ports in the fuel tank.
Hi Fahad. You need to have a loop in the vent line like in my picture. If you don't there will be siphoning while inverted and it could cause a flame out. The black line is my vent line.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50205.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	1568381  
Old 02-22-2011, 05:08 PM
AirTech
My Feedback: (18)

ORIGINAL: Tseres

. and no i dont have any loops in my fuel line they are coming striaght from all the ports in the fuel tank.
Hi Fahad. You need to have a loop in the vent line like in my picture. If you don't there will be siphoning while inverted and it could cause a flame out. The black line is my vent line.
That's really critical. If you don't the loop on the vent line like Tseres suggest it will syphon the fuel out the vent line and worse, drain the intake line dry.
Old 02-22-2011, 08:24 PM

teseres and airtech i will change the vent line make it longer and do a loop like the picture plus changethe plug to an ngk plug, and start from there i really dont want to open the tank and inspect inside it haha kinda lazy. will post pictures and tell me if i get the vent line right this time

teseres is that the standard tank that came with the airplane or you changed urs ?
also guys my engine wont fire up at the start of a flying day without a starter its almost impossible to start it up for the first time without a starter

thank you guys

fahad

Old 02-22-2011, 10:16 PM
T3beatz
My Feedback: (4)

do you have your choke on to start the engine? also check the carb/gasket and make sure that it has a good seal and no air leaks were it is bolted on to the heat insulator. 

How much time do you have with working with gas engines?  I'm asking so that I wont suggest things that you might know to check off the top.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:17 PM

ceecrb and kerwin

my spark plug is honda NGK cm6 so to what model am supposed to upgrade to

thank you

fahad
Old 02-22-2011, 10:20 PM
T3beatz

None, thats a good one. I don't think your spark is the problem... it's something with fuel/air flow or else it would not run as it is on the ground.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:21 PM

T.J this is my first engine so basicly none. And yes choke always on when starting the engine
Old 02-22-2011, 11:33 PM
T3beatz

Ok, you shouldn't need a starter to start the engine... if the choke is fully on gas should have no problem getting into the carb. With the cowling off and the prop attached try and start the engine and check to see how long it takes the gas to get from the tank to the carb, it should only take a couple flips of the prop for it to make it up there. If it takes a ton then you might have an air leak some where, the carb may not be sitting flush on the gasket ( over tighteningof the bolts can do this).
Other than that, your low end needle may just be to lean, what happens when yourichenit up a bit? It's not going to run like a top until it breaks in a little so a tad rich wont hurt. As it breaks in you can start to lean it a little more.
Old 02-23-2011, 01:34 AM

thanks t.j for all the inputs to solve my problem am at work now when am done, i will head home take of the cowl and check how much fliping it will take for the gas to reach the carb and will adjust from there. just one wordby overnighting did u mean overtighting or its something else i didnt get

thank you

fahad
Old 02-23-2011, 04:04 AM
ceecrb1

he means, over tightening the two long bolts that run from the rear of the carb, through the black plastic reed valves and into the rear of the engine head.
these when over tightened will warp the reed valves, stopping them from working..
How do I know this.. well "oops" i did that one myself, checking for loose bolts.. found them loose,, thought "that should be tighter" and off I went!.. had to go back and loosen them again.

I admit I do start mine with an electric starter.. but ONLY because it just feels safer to me.. I can and DO start mine by hand.. but if I have the starter there, it just seems silly to bypass something which improves safety.
Also yes, the first start of the day does take a LITTLE extra work than the rest but in relation to yours I would call mine "impossible" without the electric starter.. just a few flips more by hand..
Once warm it is far quicker.
Old 02-23-2011, 06:58 AM

ceereb hahaha only if i saw that earlier .. i came back home from work and said to myself its engine day i went on ant took the engine of the firewall checking all the bolts and saw those in the back that can be tightened little more and then i said oooooooooooooh yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeh thats the problem that whats T.J been telling me to tight and went on and tighted them hahahahaha damn now i need to loosen them again

T.J i took the cowl off fliped like 30 times no gas is coming to carb ( now i knew why i always needed the starter mine like wont start without 1000 rpm) so where can i check for air lakes in the engine. I also strapped my tank a part i cant c anything wrong in there.

thank you guys

fahad

Old 02-23-2011, 07:39 AM

bolts been loosen again
Old 02-23-2011, 07:55 AM
T3beatz

Yep, Ceecrb1 is correct, I meant over tightening. I've done it before myself, and it sucks. Check and make sure nothing is warped place it back on and make it snug but not prop bolt tight. Check your main fuel line the one from the tank to the carb, it shouldn't have any leaks.
Last make sure that the carb choke is closing all the way, once all is done with a few flips you should have gas getting to the carb.

I don't think the actual engine has leaks, or you will see this (streaks of oil or residue coming from the leak source). Your problem is most likely a fuel/air feed problem.
Old 02-23-2011, 08:11 AM
SitNFly
My Feedback: (54)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad you found the problem.
Old 02-23-2011, 08:12 AM

i changed all the fuel line, i made a loop into the vent line i checked all the bolts in the engine, i changed the exhust gasket it was broken i applied some silicon gasket, checked the choke that is fully cloosing, cant really think off anything else.

T.J is 1.5 gallon of ashles oil enough ? can i switch to full syntahtic oil now ?

Name:	Jh16946.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	151.2 KB
ID:	1568659   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je10459.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	150.2 KB
ID:	1568660   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xd81051.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	190.5 KB
ID:	1568661  
Old 02-23-2011, 08:49 AM
ceecrb1

That wood all looks very wet? you sure fuel isnt leaking out on to it???
To give you an example... mine has abotu 40 flights now and is only dirty from dry dust getting in the cowel etc.. yours looks soaked.... specifically on the side with the needles
Old 02-23-2011, 09:35 AM

ceecrb that the reason why i linked the pictures. How can i know if its coming for the the exhust or from the engine itself ?! how can i tell for sure ? i will post a picture of inside the Cowl maybe that will help us tell

P.S: we dont have runways here in kuwait we take of land fly over sandy deserts that why its sand with fuel/oil in the lower corner

YOURTHOUGHTS guys

Name:	Sq47199.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	166.0 KB
ID:	1568701  
Old 02-23-2011, 11:05 AM
T3beatz

ceecrb that the reason why i linked the pictures. How can i know if its coming for the the exhust or from the engine itself ?! how can i tell for sure ? i will post a picture of inside the Cowl maybe that will help us tell

P.S: we dont have runways here in kuwait we take of land fly over sandy deserts that why its sand with fuel/oil in the lower corner

YOURTHOUGHTS guys

I would just go with the fixes you have done for now... run it and see what it does, it.s a process of elimination. Do all this with the cowling off so you can check for any problems and get to them.

T.J.

Old 02-23-2011, 11:36 AM

T.J will sure do tomorrow. one last quistion ( i know you want to kill me hahahah ) Can i fly it without the Cowl or it will cuz problem for the coatings
Old 02-23-2011, 12:30 PM
T3beatz

yes, you can fly without the cowling on... things that will change, Maybe... the CG will shift back a tad because the cowling is off... not that noticeable if your cg was slightly forward anyway.  The air pressure that was (if any) inside the cowling may be gone so needle settings can change.
Old 02-23-2011, 01:18 PM
ceecrb1

WOW thats dirty!.
yeah we have a runway.. and while not sandy, valencia is very very dusty.
BUT I still stand by what I say.. it "should" be completely dry inside the cowel.

To see if any fuel is escaping it is very simple.. clean the engine.. really well with paper towel.. get it nice and dry and "like new"... then run it..
then have a look after.. is it wet again? if so, where?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.