Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

RedWing MX2 Build

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

RedWing MX2 Build

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 02:14 PM
Tseres

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: RedWing MX2 Build

Q8. I picked up on two things between what you said and what I see in the pictures.I don't see any Zip tie on your fuel line. You need to Zip tie everywhere that the fuel line ends. Weather its at the tank or inside the tank o the carb.

You said that you replaced the exhaust gasket. You need to throw the exhaust gasket away and use some high temp Silicone gasket material. The Exhaust gasket starts to leak shortly after you start running it. That is where I think your mess is coming from. Chances are that the muffler would fall off completely with the factory gasket.
Old 02-23-2011, 02:42 PM

teseres all fuel lines were zip tied, i took everything off to check on the lines and the tank itself so i will re zip tie them again tomorrow before i go flying. regarding the exhust gasket yeh i was shocked when i opened the exhust and so that it went from elastic to plastic form. i used silicon and re tight it up.

thank you teseres will update you guys tomorrow. its bed time here in kuwait wishing u all a pleasent day back in usa and ceecrb in spain

adios
Old 02-23-2011, 04:11 PM
kerwin50

I'd fly with out the cowl, I've seen it a hundred times with the cowl curing the problem, BUT I'm still wondering how good you are drawing fuel and if your not a touch lean
Old 02-23-2011, 10:36 PM

moning guys.

this is from a guy in FG forums Name aussiesteve<script type="text/javascript"> vbmenu_register("postmenu_1401398", true); </script>he said:

"As the others have mentioned, Check the tank lines, especially check that the clunk line is not hitting the back of the tank. IF all that is good, Get a D10 WAT carb kit and change the pump diaphragm (the one under the cover with a single screw on it) to the blue one that comes in that kit. then set the needels to 1 3/4 turns open and try tuning the engine again. About 80% of the JC 28's I received to sell needed the pump diaphragms in the carb changed out"

Old 02-23-2011, 10:55 PM
T3beatz
My Feedback: (4)

He is right, about the tank line... if it's to close to the back of the tank you will starve the engine of fuel and it will die.  You have to get some video of the engine running if you can so we can hear the transition to full throttle. 

hopefully your day will be good and you can get the engine operating the way it should.
Old 02-24-2011, 01:02 AM
Tseres

Aussiesteve knows a lot about engines and was the importer of JC engines in Australia. If you still can't get it running with what we said then do what Steve told you about the diaphragm. I have heard of faulty diaphragms even when they were new.
Old 02-24-2011, 02:30 PM
AirTech
My Feedback: (18)

Just my penny in the cup. It seems with all that sand down there there may be a possibility of FOD ingestion into the carb. When the engine fuel/air mix problem is solved some kind of carb air filter and a fuel line filter may help in preventing another more serious problem.
Old 02-25-2011, 05:06 AM

it rarely rains in the deserts. now when i want to test my plane its raining daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaamn my luck
Old 02-25-2011, 06:32 AM
ceecrb1

Blue skys and zero wind here
Old 02-27-2011, 08:00 AM
ceecrb1

quick question.

I have been using a 2200mah 3s lipo to power this plane (rx and ignition).

I´m wanting to split it to 2 batteries for the RFI issues when connecting ignition power to RX...

Would you all think a 2450mah 2s lipo (rx) 1300mah 2s lipo (ignition), would be enough for a decent days flying with reserve?
Old 02-27-2011, 09:00 AM
T3beatz

ORIGINAL: ceecrb1

quick question.

I´m wanting to split it to 2 batteries for the RFI issues when connecting ignition power to RX...

Would you all think a 2450mah 2s lipo (rx) 1300mah 2s lipo (ignition), would be enough for a decent days flying with reserve?
With that setup you should be able to get 5-6 flights before recharging, depending on how hard you fly.

Old 02-27-2011, 09:41 AM
AirTech
My Feedback: (18)

quick question.

I have been using a 2200mah 3s lipo to power this plane (rx and ignition)

Are you running a voltage regulator for the receiver and a separate ignition regulator for the ignition. I am not so clear on your installation, since a 3S LiPo produces 11.1 Vdc you need a regulator supplying 6 Vdc to the RX. And is not such a good idea to use the same power supply both the ignition and the Rx unless you use an isolated (optically) regulator i.e. a UBEC or an IBEF. In any case if you go to a 2S LiPo they will produce 7.4 Vdc and you still need a voltage regulator. Be aware that RFI can be produced by a faulty spark plug, a defective hi-voltage wire or its connection and a loose ground wire.
Old 02-27-2011, 10:43 AM
ceecrb1

ORIGINAL: AirTech

Are you running a voltage regulator for the receiver and a separate ignition regulator for the ignition. I am not so clear on your installation, since a 3S LiPo produces 11.1 Vdc you need a regulator supplying 6 Vdc to the RX. And is not such a good idea to use the same power supply both the ignition and the Rx unless you use an isolated (optically) regulator i.e. a UBEC or an IBEF. In any case if you go to a 2S LiPo they will produce 7.4 Vdc and you still need a voltage regulator. Be aware that RFI can be produced by a faulty spark plug, a defective hi-voltage wire or its connection and a loose ground wire.
Yes I know all about needing regulators etc..
I have an 8A regulator on the RX and a 3A on the ignition.. but all fed by the same 3s 2200mah lipo.

I know. Not great. Thats what I had at the time I bought the plane.. now I have more cash again I want to fix it up better.
Old 02-27-2011, 10:45 AM
ceecrb1

ORIGINAL: T3beatz

quick question.

With that setup you should be able to get 5-6 flights before recharging, depending on how hard you fly.

Ok which would you "beef up" to gain more flight time? what would others recomend.
Old 02-28-2011, 01:29 AM
ceecrb1

also can the power HD ds090m´s and futaba fasst take direct supply from 2s A123's/LIFE (6.6v) without a regulator?
Old 02-28-2011, 07:44 AM

my servos are all power HDs ds090 and HD 9150 powerd by 2 1100 MAH A123 NOregulator so my answer is yes
Old 02-28-2011, 07:53 AM

My update:

Went to the field today fired the plane up without the cowl took off and flown it for 15 min no problem at all. But i didnt have the time to fly it with the cowl on so i will try that tomorrow.

things been done to it so far:
loop on the vent line like teseres picture
all fuel line been changed
sparkplug been changed to the same model but a new one
all engine bolts been re tightened except the two ones T.J told me not 2

Tomorrow will fly with the Cowl on and update you guys

Thank you

Fahad

Old 02-28-2011, 09:49 AM
ceecrb1

Q8, sounding like things are going good!

In the end today I ordered 2x 2s 2100mah A123's (1 plus a spare). and a 2s2p 2100mah lipo for ignition. well over juiced.. but i'd rather pay for weight with the low low low chances of powerloss mid-flight.

Just going to put some capacitors into the system to add redundancy incase of a "noisy" on off switch...
These are the capacitors used to prevent brownouts.. they will also remove blackouts caused by a switch which is going bad due to engine vibrations... so will get me some next time i´m in the electronics shop for work.
Old 02-28-2011, 01:51 PM

yup ceecrb thing going well need to check how is it going to be with cowl on tomorrow hope it will work out.

ceecrb regarding you subject why don't you get 2 1100 mah with wolverien switch or a batshare and IBEF system? most of the experienced guys i asked regarding airplane setup told me that 2 battries RX setup will give much better chance to survive a bad battery than just one. also i really likes the IBEF( thanks Airtech for recommanding it) it will save you the weight of a new battery + an engine cut off and last extra battery to charge. the choise is urs but am just saying

Good luck ceecrb

T.J i forget to tell you i noticed a complete change in C.G while taking the Cowl off damn hahahaha
Old 02-28-2011, 02:07 PM
T3beatz

wow, how much of a change? I've done it before on a few planes and I've only needed a few clicks of trim to correct.
Old 02-28-2011, 10:07 PM

T.J as soon as i took off and got her to a decent lvl to check the engin i left the trim and my airplane went mad i had to trim it alot just to keep it leveled up. also it became tail heavy when i took the cowl off
Old 03-01-2011, 01:38 AM
T3beatz

I'm not understanding you said you had to trim it a lot to keep it leveled up (nose heavy) then you said it was tail heavy with the cowl off?... You must have had some other problem, if your plane went mad with that cowling off.... it is a light cowling and should not throw the cg off by that much. (or your CG was slightly to the rear to begin with).

If you do a 45* up-line and go inverted your plane should nose over ever so slightly, if it wants to push toward the sky your cg is aft and if it keeps a strait line you have a more neutral CG.  (also it should fly strait and level when upright before doing this test).

Old 03-02-2011, 02:01 PM

I'm not understanding you said you had to trim it a lot to keep it leveled up (nose heavy) then you said it was tail heavy with the cowl off?... You must have had some other problem, if your plane went mad with that cowling off.... it is a light cowling and should not throw the cg off by that much. (or your CG was slightly to the rear to begin with).
If you do a 45*up-lineand go inverted your plane should nose over ever so slightly, if it wants to pushtowardthe sky your cg is aft and if it keeps a strait line you have a moreneutralCG. (also it should fly strait and level when upright before doing this test).
hi T.J

as soon as i took off and left the elevator stick to lvl the plane, it started to drop instantly, i had to trim it alot to lvl it it up. when i fly her inverted and with a 45 degree incline it will keep climibing up for ever. case was not like that with the cowl on and still i didnt had the chance to fly her with cowl on

T.J is it true on the aurora 9 to set expos you need to set them with negative values not positives like the DX7 ?

Old 03-02-2011, 02:29 PM
T3beatz

ORIGINAL: AvatarQ8

If you do a 45*up-lineand go inverted your plane should nose over ever so slightly, if it wants to pushtowardthe sky your cg is aft and if it keeps a strait line you have a moreneutralCG. (also it should fly strait and level when upright before doing this test).
hi T.J

as soon as i took off and left the elevator stick to lvl the plane, it started to drop instantly, i had to trim it alot to lvl it it up. when i fly her inverted and with a 45 degree incline it will keep climibing up for ever. case was not like that with the cowl on and still i didnt had the chance to fly her with cowl on

T.J is it true on the aurora 9 to set expos you need to set them with negative values not positives like the DX7 ?

If you take off and go to fly level and the nose drops that means your nose heavy for the most part ( or your elevators were not level and had down trim in them).

even then if they were level and you go inverted in a 45 incline, (after adding the up trim when you were flying upright) the plane should not keep climbing because of the up trim that you have in the elevators the plane should want to arch over.

what makes your plane go up or down is not just the wieght of the tail, but the elevator postion.... when you turn your plane on how much up or down trim does it have when balanced?

When I turn my plane on right now my elevators are just about center with 1 or 2 clicks of up in the radio. And I fly with a pretty nutral CG.

Old 03-05-2011, 03:31 PM
T3beatz

zachfeen ,

any updates? did you get the plane fixed?  BTW how did the motor perform?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.